2020-2021 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can we expect the secondary to come out anytime soon?

We are currently working on screening applications to determine who will receive secondary application invitations and are anticipating to start sending them out within the next couple of weeks.

Noorda-COM Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
We are currently working on screening applications to determine who will receive secondary application invitations and are anticipating to start sending them out within the next couple of weeks.

Noorda-COM Admissions

Thank you!

Ive seen what Noorda posted above, however has anyone received a secondary thus far?

Members don't see this ad :)

Noorda-COM Admissions

There was no information that I could find on specifics however what is your screening process? I did receive the email they will be sending out secondaries however previously it was mentioned Noorda will look at applications holistically?

There was no information that I could find on specifics however what is your screening process? I did receive the email they will be sending out secondaries however previously it was mentioned Noorda will look at applications holistically?

I think they have a Q & A on September 28th so you might want to join that to get your questions answered.

Our admissions team is completing comprehensive reviews of every application, taking into account all academic and extracurricular experiences to determine the best fit for future students.

Noorda-COM Admissions

Reactions: 1 users
I think they have a Q & A on September 28th so you might want to join that to get your questions answered.

On Monday, September 28th at 1:00 pm MDT, we are hosting a live Q&A with Dr. Vanessa Halvorsen, DO, an otolaryngology resident and Noorda-COM Board of Trustees Member. You can signup for that event here: Sign Up

We also have a live Admissions Q&A scheduled for Monday, October 12th at 2:30 pm MDT. You can signup for that event here: Sign Up

Noorda-COM Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Super stoked for this school and the area!

Reactions: 1 user
Much appreciate Noorda for keeping us applicants in the loop regarding secondary rather than ghosting us like other schools lol

Anyways, for those of you who haven't check your email or haven't received the update yet. It seems Noorda is finalizing their screening for secondary and will be sending it out shortly.

Reactions: 5 users
Much appreciate Noorda for keeping us applicants in the loop regarding secondary rather than ghosting us like other schools lol

Anyways, for those of you who haven't check your email or haven't received the update yet. It seems Noorda is finalizing their screening for secondary and will be sending it out shortly.
I thought the email update was the actual secondary and got way too excited lol

Reactions: 5 users
Do we think they will send secondaries to everyone or people they believe are qualified first? Asking because I have I am strong in every area except my MCAT :(

Do we think they will send secondaries to everyone or people they believe are qualified first? Asking because I have I am strong in every area except my MCAT :(

I think they'll be lenient about your MCAT, new schools tend to be lenient.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
On Monday, September 28th at 1:00 pm MDT, we are hosting a live Q&A with Dr. Vanessa Halvorsen, DO, an otolaryngology resident and Noorda-COM Board of Trustees Member. You can signup for that event here: Sign Up

We also have a live Admissions Q&A scheduled for Monday, October 12th at 2:30 pm MDT. You can signup for that event here: Sign Up

Noorda-COM Admissions
Is there any way to see it or any other Q&As after the fact?

There is one coming up on October 12 at 2:30PM MDT

my only concern with newer schools is financial aid, would everyone accepted be able to obtain a private loan since no federal loans are available? and what about those with poor credit?

I'm trying to call the school but they're not responding. Does anybody know if they better respond via email?

Has anyone received a secondary for this school yet? Did admissions mean by the end of this week or next? Super excited about this school. Really hope I make the cut.

Has anyone received a secondary for this school yet? Did admissions mean by the end of this week or next? Super excited about this school. Really hope I make the cut.
Every day I wake up and check my email for this lol

I thought I received one today but it was the Q&A invite. I keep thinking I did not make the cut because I have not gotten it yet but ADCOMs has been so nice and responsive, they are just busy

Every day I wake up and check my email for this lol

I thought I received one today but it was the Q&A invite. I keep thinking I did not make the cut because I have not gotten it yet but ADCOMs has been so nice and responsive, they are just busy
SAME!!! It must be really hectic right now with everything going on. Hopefully we hear back soon.

I am finding myself really excited about this school as well because of its location relative to my family, lower COL, and the fact that I thrive in a smaller, close-knit start-up environment, but I need to know a lot more about the curriculum and reasoning behind it as well as how many extraneous on-campus activities will be required. I do much better when I can have a lot of focused time, not jetting from here to there with lots of distractions and commuting involved.

What is exciting everyone else about this school?

Hi guys! I am going to be applying to this school!! Looks super good! Do you think they might accept lower MCAT scores? My app is overall good except for my MCAT :(. Also I am not in their state :( Any thoughts?

Hi guys! I am going to be applying to this school!! Looks super good! Do you think they might accept lower MCAT scores? My app is overall good except for my MCAT :(. Also I am not in their state :( Any thoughts?

Theres always pros and cons to a brand new school but I just submitted my app here :) they havent even sent out secondaries so if the mission aligns with your interests throw in an app!

Theres always pros and cons to a brand new school but I just submitted my app here :) they havent even sent out secondaries so if the mission aligns with your interests throw in an app!

I think it really depends on how low your mcat is. If its 498+ I think you should definitely apply if you don't mind going to a DO school.

People will be getting IIs probably anywhere from the end of October/November (whenever secondaries are processed) all the way to a month before the semester starts. Asking here doesn't change that.
I was only asking if anyone had updates regarding a secondary.

The Secondary App is scheduled to be sent out soon they are working on the application portal atm. Interviews will start late October/ Early November

How does someone receiving a secondary impact another applicant? Schools will either send them to everyone who applies while others screen. Too much neuroticism on this forum.
Then why are you on this forum? The rest of us are just looking out for one another and keeping each other updated, which is the whole point of this site. Your judgement towards others’ posts are unwanted. Don’t dull someone else’s shine. Medical school applications are both exciting and nerve-racking.

Reactions: 3 users
How does someone receiving a secondary impact another applicant? Schools will either send them to everyone who applies while others screen. Too much neuroticism on this forum.

Seem like a lot of unwarranted attacks there, bud.

Just wanted to add some optimism and positivity here:

- Rent, like everything else, does not have to be the super high if you take the time to look for less obvious and advertised options or even get a little creative. I lived in downtown San Jose, CA in an amazing 1 bedroom for less than $1200 which is pretty much over half less than what a 1 bedroom cost at the time because I took the time to research and get creative.

I went to school in the Provo area and have tons of family there, and no one I know pays those crazy rates. This is a huge college town with lots of larger homes you can rent with roommates which makes it way less expensive. You get a nicer house, yard for chickens and a garden and a firepit, and get to share the experience with others in your class! It's what I would do.

Also, there are so many free and low-cost activities there and great train transportation to Salt Lake for more. The population is a mostly thrifty one with lots of young families still in school, so the local businesses have to cater to that. The lower COL DO schools often are in the middle of nowhere. Rotations at Noorda will all be within about 30 mins drive, significantly reducing costs of transportation and moving around so many DO students have to do at many other schools. For the money, Provo will be excellent value. (As long as I can find a few whiskey-sippin' friends! ;) )

- I spent yesterday reading through their entire catalog which you can find linked at the bottom of their site and it answered a lot of questions for me, so check that out if you have the time!

It gives people a timeline. For example, I hadn't received a secondary for an MD school I knew didn't screen. I checked the forum, found that others had been getting secondaries, checked my AMCAS and realized I'd forgotten to add the the school to my distribution list. We're all just trying to help others out and lift each other up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
A brand new school will be desperate to fill seats and so yes, they will be tolerant of lower MCAT scores, despite the fact that once you go < 500, you're at greater risk of failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

A brand new school will be desperate to fill seats and so yes, they will be tolerant of lower MCAT scores, despite the fact that once you go < 500, you're at greater risk of failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

I believe the specific stats per AAMC is below 497 the drop off for board pass rates is significant.

If your MCAT is below 500 I would strongly suggest retaking it because you wouldn't be doing yourself any favors spending thousands of dollars, countless hours, and stress, etc. Also, it has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum that those with <500 MCATs will USUALLY struggle in med school. I know there's always someone who knows someone "with a 495 who killed COMLEX and USMLE" but that's an anomaly and not the norm. Otherwise, there are DO SMPs where you take similar or the same curriculum as OMS1 students and if you get a 3.3+ (and ~497 mcat) you'll get a near-guaranteed acceptance because you've essentially proved yourself via "auditioning"
Anecdotal as it may be, in my personal experience I have found this not to be true at all. i personally know several people not only at my med school but also other med schools who actually excelled in med school with a <500 MCAT. They also did very well on USMLE and comlex. I will add that their premed GPAs were high, but regardless I think the MCAT does a poor job at predicting success. excelling in your premed upper level sciences and the med school preclinical years has much better utility in whether a student will do well on Boards. Doing well on boards comes down to how bad you want it/discipline/outstanding work ethic. Personally the way the MCAT was structured didnt click with me. I just never could grasp the way the passages were worded which netted me a 497 MCAT. 2 years later I scored a 254 on the USMLE with insane discipline and work ethic. Dont be discouraged by lower MCAT scores ladies and gents. Would I suggest a retake? Sure but if youre dead set on not retaking I wouldnt go into med school with the mindset youre set up for rough ride

Last edited:
Anecdotal as it may be, in my personal experience I have found this not to be true at all. i personally know several people not only at my med school but also other med schools who actually excelled in med school with a <500 MCAT. They also did very well on USMLE and comlex. I will add that their premed GPAs were high, but regardless I think the MCAT does a poor job at predicting success. excelling in your premed upper level sciences and the med school preclinical years has much better utility in whether a student will do well on Boards. Doing well on boards comes down to how bad you want it/discipline/outstanding work ethic. Personally the way the MCAT was structured didnt click with me. I just never could grasp the way the passages were worded which netted me a 497 MCAT. 2 years later I scored a 254 on the USMLE with insane discipline and work ethic. Dont be discouraged by lower MCAT scores ladies and gents. Would I suggest a retake? Sure but if youre dead set on not retaking I wouldnt go into med school with the mindset youre set up for rough ride
The plural of anecdotes is not data.

The plural of anecdotes is not data.
Im not denying data and I made that explicit. These are my experiences. I am telling those with subpar MCATs to not get discouraged if they scored under 500. Its still very possible to excel in med school

I apologize, @coolsands155. I've spent a little too much time on Reddit and thought you might be a troll, and I reacted instead of thinking -the last part of my comment was uncalled for.

Hey Ya'll hope everyones doing well. I was wondering did anyone else happen to know what their situation is with the scribing portion? I was present for the talk with Dr. Halvorsen last week which was very informative with where this school is headed. Thanks.

Hey Ya'll hope everyones doing well. I was wondering did anyone else happen to know what their situation is with the scribing portion? I was present for the talk with Dr. Halvorsen last week which was very informative with where this school is headed. Thanks.

This is taken directly from the catalogue—-
CEPA 501 – Core Entrustable Professional Activities I (20 weeks) CEPA 501 is the first semester of a four-year longitudinal course. It is designed to teach students how to perform a history and physical exam, appropriately communicate with patients, and integrate the use of osteopathic principles and practices into patient care. Medical scribing will also be included to prepare students to work in the community and function as a scribe as a second-year student. The primary areas of focus in the course are inter/professional communication; history and physical examination skills and electronic medical record documentation; principles of patient safety; osteopathic manipulative medicine diagnostic skills; and integrating the social determinants of health. The varied learning opportunities provide foundational cognitive and psychomotor skills to prepare the student to progress into further CEPA curricular offerings.

I believe the specific stats per AAMC is below 497 the drop off for board pass rates is significant.
True, but there's also this-delay in graduation (meaning having to take LOA or repeat year):
1601932626132.png

1601932691687.png

Im not denying data and I made that explicit. These are my experiences. I am telling those with subpar MCATs to not get discouraged if they scored under 500. Its still very possible to excel in med school
The danger is that the risk is real (and yes, there are people who smoke two packs of cigarettes a day who don't get lung cancer, but this is not a admirable activity).
A student with a low MCAT might be OK at an established medical school, but we are talking about a brand new school here, with the risks of having a poor support system for struggling students, and a faculty who individually may be good at teaching, but collectively will need a few years to gel and figure out how to deliver a unified, efficient, coordinated, non-repetitive curriculum.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users