2020-2021 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Interview Feedback:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this school is going to actually begin this upcoming cycle?

I saw them on AACOMAS but idk if that means they are or not really

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, I just submitted mine. But I looked and it said "doctorate". Any clue if this is not a DO degree?
You can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe DO, MD and PhD are all doctorate degrees (And JD, EdD, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
You can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe DO, MD and PhD are all doctorate degrees (And JD, EdD, etc).
Okay, I was just wondering because I’m AACOMAS all of the other programs are listed as DO but Noorda is listed as Doctorate. Lol idk maybe I’m overthinking

• Supplemental application required? Yes
  • Earliest Supplemental Application Submission Date: 8/15/2020
  • Supplemental Application Deadline: 3/1/2021
  • Supplemental Application Requirements:
    • Submission of a 15-minute video that answers: “Who are you? What is your passion? Why osteopathic medicine? Why Noorda-COM? and What will medicine look like in 20 years?”
    • Letters of Recommendation from two of the three following sources: a physician (preferably osteopathic); a science faculty member who is familiar with the applicant’s academic work; and/or a premedical source (could be an advisor letter, composite evaluation or evaluations from a committee.)

***Found this on Choose DO. Looks like secondary invites should be around the corner with the earliest submission date being 08/15/2020. Also, a 15-minute video...:unsure:***

• Supplemental application required? Yes
  • Earliest Supplemental Application Submission Date: 8/15/2020
  • Supplemental Application Deadline: 3/1/2021
  • Supplemental Application Requirements:
    • Submission of a 15-minute video that answers: “Who are you? What is your passion? Why osteopathic medicine? Why Noorda-COM? and What will medicine look like in 20 years?”
    • Letters of Recommendation from two of the three following sources: a physician (preferably osteopathic); a science faculty member who is familiar with the applicant’s academic work; and/or a premedical source (could be an advisor letter, composite evaluation or evaluations from a committee.)

***Found this on Choose DO. Looks like secondary invites should be around the corner with the earliest submission date being 08/15/2020. Also, a 15-minute video...:unsure:***
That 15 min video is gonna be interesting! There’s a 2 min video for BCOM which seemed like a good amount of time but 15 seems high haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard a rumor that NOORDA is a for-profit school, is this true?

Are non-profit schools usually bad? And if so why?
No, non-profit schools are great. They’re not turning a profit on your tuition and such so put the money into the school and your education.

Reactions: 1 users
Are non-profit schools usually bad? And if so why?

I assume you meant to write “for-profit”. I think if a school is for-profit then you don’t qualify for subsidized loans and have to rely on more expensive private loans to finance tuition/living expenses (assuming you can’t pay out of pocket)

No, non-profit schools are great. They’re not turning a profit on your tuition and such so put the money into the school and your education.
I assume you meant to write “for-profit”. I think if a school is for-profit then you don’t qualify for subsidized loans and have to rely on more expensive private loans to finance tuition/living expenses (assuming you can’t pay out of pocket)
Yeah sorry haha I meant for profit

That is a big bummer. Hopefully the education is good tho

Submitted my app to this school! Hoping for some love.

We are currently accepting applications for the 2020-2021 application cycle. Our inaugural class will matriculate in August of 2021.

Noorda-COM Admissions
Thats great news! Also, are the third and fourth year rotations all done locally in Utah or are there other locations to branch out to?

I contacted them to ask about financial aid and received this response:

“As we are a brand new school, our inaugural class will not be eligible for federal financial aid. We are working with private lenders to provide options for students who require financial aid.”

I guess it is for-profit :shrug:

Noorda-COM (proposed) has been created as a “Program Related Investment” or PRI. A PRI is a mission or social investment foundations make in order to achieve their philanthropic goals. Like grants, PRIs are vehicles for making inexpensive capital available to organizations that are addressing social or environmental concerns. Unlike grants, PRIs are expected to be repaid, with at least a modest rate of return. Once repaid, PRIs are reused for other charitable purposes.

PRIs emerged as a formal philanthropic activity in response to the Tax Reform Act of 1969. Private foundations are allowed to make “program-related investments” that may generate limited or no financial return, provided they met three criteria:
  1. The investment’s primary purpose must be to advance the foundation’s charitable objectives;
  2. Neither the production of income nor appreciation of property can be a significant purpose; and
  3. The funds cannot be used directly or indirectly to lobby or for political purposes.
April of 2016, the Treasury Department published final regulations for program-related investments or PRI’s. PRI’s allow investments by private foundations when the primary purpose is to accomplish one or more of a foundation’s 501(c)(3) exempt purposes. This PRI designation is what allows Not-for-Profit foundations to invest in what is in essence under the tax codes, a for-profit or proprietary venture. It is under this structure the Utah-based Ray and Tye Noorda Foundation, who have funded several Utah medical institutions, committed $50 million to the creation of the proposed Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Noorda-COM).

Noorda-COM (proposed) centers on a set of guiding principles. These allow for all voices to be heard in our decisions, yet remain grounded in our mission, vision, and values. They are the basis of our curricular, pedagogical, and administrative decisions. We, as an institute, hope to never lose sight of learning and never confuse profit for growth. The work of Noorda-COM (proposed) centers around the following nine guiding principles:
  • People matter most, our students are at the center of all that we do.
  • Quality academic programs and excellence in teaching are our priorities.
  • Strong moral character, ethical decision-making, and mutual respect are embedded in all that we do.
  • Diversity is an essential element of the Noorda-COM (proposed) experience.
  • Technology and innovation are positioned to enhance learning and improve operational efficiency.
  • College resources are applied to achieve the highest quality in our students, faculty, and programs.
  • Financial decisions are driven by balancing costs with stabilizing student debt.
  • Investments in people are made in the form of fair compensation and individual opportunities of growth.
  • A culture of service to our community guides our relationships.

Noorda-COM Admissions

Reactions: 3 users
Noorda-COM (proposed) has been created as a “Program Related Investment” or PRI. A PRI is a mission or social investment foundations make in order to achieve their philanthropic goals. Like grants, PRIs are vehicles for making inexpensive capital available to organizations that are addressing social or environmental concerns. Unlike grants, PRIs are expected to be repaid, with at least a modest rate of return. Once repaid, PRIs are reused for other charitable purposes.

PRIs emerged as a formal philanthropic activity in response to the Tax Reform Act of 1969. Private foundations are allowed to make “program-related investments” that may generate limited or no financial return, provided they met three criteria:
  1. The investment’s primary purpose must be to advance the foundation’s charitable objectives;
  2. Neither the production of income nor appreciation of property can be a significant purpose; and
  3. The funds cannot be used directly or indirectly to lobby or for political purposes.
April of 2016, the Treasury Department published final regulations for program-related investments or PRI’s. PRI’s allow investments by private foundations when the primary purpose is to accomplish one or more of a foundation’s 501(c)(3) exempt purposes. This PRI designation is what allows Not-for-Profit foundations to invest in what is in essence under the tax codes, a for-profit or proprietary venture. It is under this structure the Utah-based Ray and Tye Noorda Foundation, who have funded several Utah medical institutions, committed $50 million to the creation of the proposed Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Noorda-COM).

Noorda-COM (proposed) centers on a set of guiding principles. These allow for all voices to be heard in our decisions, yet remain grounded in our mission, vision, and values. They are the basis of our curricular, pedagogical, and administrative decisions. We, as an institute, hope to never lose sight of learning and never confuse profit for growth. The work of Noorda-COM (proposed) centers around the following nine guiding principles:
  • People matter most, our students are at the center of all that we do.
  • Quality academic programs and excellence in teaching are our priorities.
  • Strong moral character, ethical decision-making, and mutual respect are embedded in all that we do.
  • Diversity is an essential element of the Noorda-COM (proposed) experience.
  • Technology and innovation are positioned to enhance learning and improve operational efficiency.
  • College resources are applied to achieve the highest quality in our students, faculty, and programs.
  • Financial decisions are driven by balancing costs with stabilizing student debt.
  • Investments in people are made in the form of fair compensation and individual opportunities of growth.
  • A culture of service to our community guides our relationships.

Noorda-COM Admissions

Thank you for explaining that in detail

Wonder when we will start hearing back from this school

Sounds like an interesting venture. Good luck to all y’all applying, I’ve spent enough on this cycle but I’m interested to see where this goes!

Reactions: 2 users
I am interested. Does anyone know if they have a virtual info session?

I perused the schools website but was not able to find much information regarding the curriculum, financial aid options (I understand that private lenders are pretty much going to be it) beyond loans, or housing options. Is there any idea of when the website will be updated with this information? I'm considering applying but would like to sink my teeth into some info so that I can make a decision.

I perused the schools website but was not able to find much information regarding the curriculum, financial aid options (I understand that private lenders are pretty much going to be it) beyond loans, or housing options. Is there any idea of when the website will be updated with this information? I'm considering applying but would like to sink my teeth into some info so that I can make a decision.
I would attend their Q and A session to retrieve that info and more. I’m sure there will be lots of information that we can retrieve through that.

Based on their website they required a letter within two years time frame.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 2.02.47 PM.png

I'm taking this to mean as long as I have 2/3 of the above (so I have a science faculty and my premed advisor, and an employer) then that satisfies the LOR requirement. Unless I'm just completely misunderstanding... because I have my committee cover letter evaluation + the packet they compile (which contains 2 sci LOR, 1 non-sci LOR, and my PI from my full-time job).

Email received today: :soexcited:

"Thank you for you interest in Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (proposed)! We have received your verified application from AACOMAS and will begin sending out secondary applications in September."

Email received today: :soexcited:

"Thank you for you interest in Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (proposed)! We have received your verified application from AACOMAS and will begin sending out secondary applications in September."
+1

Wonder what the acceptance stats will be for this school.

View attachment 316184

I'm taking this to mean as long as I have 2/3 of the above (so I have a science faculty and my premed advisor, and an employer) then that satisfies the LOR requirement. Unless I'm just completely misunderstanding... because I have my committee cover letter evaluation + the packet they compile (which contains 2 sci LOR, 1 non-sci LOR, and my PI from my full-time job).
I think if you have a committee letter you should be fine. I think the DO letter is separate though.

View attachment 316184

You are correct. You simply need 2 of the 3 letters listed.

Noorda-COM Admissions

@Noorda-COM Admissions

Can you comment on the last 60 credit hours portion of the GPA requirement. Some of us, myself included, may be applicants who have truly reinvented ourselves with long upward trends and graduate degrees but still have very low GPAs due to taking so many credits and doing poorly. How does admissions use the last 60 credits in the admission process?

Reactions: 2 users