2020-2021 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m not trying to call @Noorda-COM Admissions out in any way because I’m sure they’re busy but I’ve tried contacting them a few times with no luck. Anyone else have success?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear @Noorda-COM Admissions

My friend is a International's student holding F-1 Visa. Is he eligible for admission?

Best wishes
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or who do not hold permanent residency status must provide a copy of their immigration documentation to the Office of Admissions, including a copy of their F-1 VISA, and also proof of their ability to finance the entire length of their academic program.

So yes, he would be; I am not sure if he needs to submit this proof with his application, however.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not trying to call @Noorda-COM Admissions out in any way because I’m sure they’re busy but I’ve tried contacting them a few times with no luck. Anyone else have success?

I emailed them and told them my story and how my GPA was under a 3.0 and they urged me to apply. I would put in an application if I were you!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Noorda-COM I am highly impressed! Looking forward to this school’s journey to success!

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if there are future ones currently scheduled (hopefully) but the current one is still on now if you want to join!

Curious as to how paying for the schooling works without federal student loans? Are private loans harder to get? A little worried about that because I don’t have good credit and I have a voluntary surrender of a vehicle I couldn’t make payments on.

Private loans are usually easy to get when the lender sees that you're a medical student. This is why physician (home loans) exist where you can put 0% down because the banks know that you're gonna make 250k+ guaranteed even if you're the lowest-paid specialty.
However, given your history that might present some challenges. I know sometimes Canadians have trouble securing private loans for US med schools but it might or might not require a cosigner in your case. You should understand there's a lack of protections with private loans vs federal loans but if this ends up being your only acceptance it might be worth taking that risk.

It is an expensive school, and the track record of new schools isn't so good (BCOM matched 75% of their first class, some dropped out/some didn't match) etc... so you'll have to weigh all those options. I watched the Q&A and everything they said seems good but there will be hiccups with any new school and you should go in with the expectation of matching FM/IM and anything above that will require killer board scores and some luck/connections.

Estimated COA is $320k not including any other loans you have. Depending on the interest rate you're looking at ~420k after a 3-year residency assuming you graduate on time and have no prior debt. Let's assume 10% of the class graduates in 5-6 years (not unlikely for new schools, even happens at established schools) and it'll be ~500k.

Everything you said is totally fine with me! I just want to make sure that “not being able to qualify For loans” doesn’t hold me back. I have family members that will co-sign for me but they do not make much money so Idk If they will qualify for the loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure SOME bank will definitely lend to you so I wouldn't worry at all. The rate might be better or worse than federal loans (you can get fixed or variable rates) but if the alternative is delaying your career for another year or not getting into medicine at all then take whatever loan you can secure and just work your ass off in school so you can successfully match and pay it back. Once you're a resident you might be able to refinance down to 3% through a lender like SoFi.

Oh I don’t care how much money I end up having to pay, I want to be a physician and if it means paying loans for the rest of my life to be able to become one I will do it. I guess my main concern was not being approved and having to forfeit my acceptance, if I get an acceptance.

I'm sure SOME bank will definitely lend to you so I wouldn't worry at all. The rate might be better or worse than federal loans (you can get fixed or variable rates) but if the alternative is delaying your career for another year or not getting into medicine at all then take whatever loan you can secure and just work your ass off in school so you can successfully match and pay it back. Once you're a resident you might be able to refinance down to 3% through a lender like SoFi.

Also thank you for taking the time to write out such in depth explanations! I have been searching online and worried!

I just submitted my application! I've been following this school for a very long time now and I'm so excited that Noorda is accepting their first class this cycle! Good luck to everyone applying! :)

Reactions: 3 users
There are 3 medical schools in Utah now (including this one). I’m just worried about rotation sites and how they would accommodate all students.

There are 3 medical schools in Utah now (including this one). I’m just worried about rotation sites and how they would accommodate all students.

I’m content with having all away rotations. Whatever it takes to be a doctor.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
In some ways, I feel like away sites can be helpful. You get training in other regions that might do things differently, so you get different perspectives.

Their website was updated with all the rotation sites and also they posted a video on their YouTube page detailing how the rotations will work. Here is a link

Reactions: 4 users
Their website was updated with all the rotation sites and also they posted a video on their YouTube page detailing how the rotations will work. Here is a link

Great video, thanks! Overall I’m quite impressed by this new school. It’s laid everything out which is something other new schools haven’t. Rooting for this schools success!

Great video, thanks! Overall I’m quite impressed by this new school. It’s laid everything out which is something other new schools haven’t. Rooting for this schools success!
I second this!

Wondering if I should send an application there, but considering it's a new school, I don't know how people make the decision to apply or not. Thoughts? @Goro in particular I expect has valuable insight on whether you should apply to a new COM?

@Noorda-COM Admissions

Can you comment on the last 60 credit hours portion of the GPA requirement. Some of us, myself included, may be applicants who have truly reinvented ourselves with long upward trends and graduate degrees but still have very low GPAs due to taking so many credits and doing poorly. How does admissions use the last 60 credits in the admission process?

We appreciate that a student’s last 60 credit hours are a meaningful representation of a their current ability and as such evaluate that as a separate metric when reviewing applications.

Noorda-COM Admissions

We appreciate that a student’s last 60 credit hours are a meaningful representation of a their current ability and as such evaluate that as a separate metric when reviewing applications.

Noorda-COM Admissions

Will this last 60 credit hours help to out weigh a bad cGPA?

Last edited:

We recently discovered the phone number listed on our Facebook page was incorrect. So, if you tried to call us on that phone number, your call would not have come through to us. We apologize for the error. Our phone number is 385.248.5510 - Please feel free to call us!

Noorda-COM Admissions

What would be your advice if the program were our only acceptance?

didn’t ask for my thought but if it were my only acceptance I’ll take it in a heart beat lol beggars can’t be chooser.

didn’t ask for my thought but if it were my only acceptance I’ll take it in a heart beat lol beggars can’t be chooser.

I appreciate all input. My biggest concern w/ the program is the exorbitant cost of housing in the Provo area. As someone with a family and pets, it’s concerning.

What would be your advice if the program were our only acceptance?
Go in with eyes fully open.

The risks of new schools are:
  • They have more tenuous relationships with hospitals for rotations and can easily have them disappear when you're ready to hit the clinic
  • Faculty need time to gel in delivering a coherent curriculum
  • Support systems like counseling or learning may not exist, or be primitive
  • Oversight of clinical education can be superficial
  • Due to the need to fill the class as many applicants will be leery of a new school, more at risk students will be accepted, and this translates to a higher attrition or delay in graduation rate, as well as a lower than avg Board pass rate and median score.
  • Graduates are an unknown to Program Directors, and as such, it will be harder to match.

I appreciate all input. My biggest concern w/ the program is the exorbitant cost of housing in the Provo area. As someone with a family and pets, it’s concerning.

This school really seems to have everything thought out. However there will always be some type of risk associated with a new school. I would definitely take the acceptance of I didn’t get one from anywhere else.

Go in with eyes fully open.

The risks of new schools are:
  • They have more tenuous relationships with hospitals for rotations and can easily have them disappear when you're ready to hit the clinic
  • Faculty need time to gel in delivering a coherent curriculum
  • Support systems like counseling or learning may not exist, or be primitive
  • Oversight of clinical education can be superficial
  • Due to the need to fill the class as many applicants will be leery of a new school, more at risk students will be accepted, and this translates to a higher attrition or delay in graduation rate, as well as a lower than avg Board pass rate and median score.
  • Graduates are an unknown to Program Directors, and as such, it will be harder to match.

Is it worth giving another cycle at more established programs?

Will this last 60 credit hours help to out weigh a bad cGPA?

Yes. We fully understand that life happens and some students have a rocky start in undergrad and others have rough semesters for a variety of reasons. Furthermore, we recognize that people can learn, grow, and change and that a GPA is not all-telling. We believe there are applicants who may not have the best academic records but who can still become excellent physicians if given the chance. That said, we do expect that students arrive to medical school academically prepared.

Noorda-COM Admissions

Reactions: 4 users
Yes. We fully understand that life happens and some students have a rocky start in undergrad and others have rough semesters for a variety of reasons. Furthermore, we recognize that people can learn, grow, and change and that a GPA is not all-telling. We believe there are applicants who may not have the best academic records but who can still become excellent physicians if given the chance. That said, we do expect that students arrive to medical school academically prepared.

Noorda-COM Admissions

This is great news. I am excited to see the progression. How receptive is NOORDA to out of state applicants?

This is great news. I am excited to see the progression. How receptive is NOORDA to out of state applicants?

We welcome out-of-state applicants. We are looking to recruit students from around the country with diverse academic, experiential, and demographic backgrounds.

Noorda-COM Admissions

Maybe it’s just me but Provo doesn’t seem too bad COL wise then again I’m from California lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Maybe it’s just me but Provo doesn’t seem too bad COL wise then again I’m from California lol

Pittsburgh here. Low COL here for sure. But with a family, moving out there is going to be tough considering the COL increase. Thankfully my wife has a marketable job/degree. Still, have to be smart in this decision.

I lived in Provo with my wife and daughter for a year, and we paid $750/month for a decent 2 bedroom apartment. We had neighbors with kids and pets. There are definitely some viable options, and even living south of Provo, like Springville, Spanish Fork, or even Payson will be cheaper and not a long drive to the southern tip of Provo, where Noorda will be.

I lived in Provo with my wife and daughter for a year, and we paid $750/month for a decent 2 bedroom apartment. We had neighbors with kids and pets. There are definitely some viable options, and even living south of Provo, like Springville, Spanish Fork, or even Payson will be cheaper and not a long drive to the southern tip of Provo, where Noorda will be.

Thank you for info. We have two dogs and three cats so looking for a house to rent if we come out there. She’s an RN with her MSN so hoping there are decent paying jobs too.

Thank you for info. We have two dogs and three cats so looking for a house to rent if we come out there. She’s an RN with her MSN so hoping there are decent paying jobs too.
And here I thought having two dogs was too much lol

• Haha
I did not know that there were physiology classes with labs attached. I took a upper level physiology course that had no lab. When I am matching my preqs with the school, should I put that physiology course and just email them?

Or should I put my Anatomy and Physiology class that was combined lecture and lab?

I did not know that there were physiology classes with labs attached. I took a upper level physiology course that had no lab. When I am matching my preqs with the school, should I put that physiology course and just email them?

Or should I put my Anatomy and Physiology class that was combined lecture and lab?

I contacted them about that, the physiology classes aren’t mandatory just put anything relevant in that section. It’s just a error on the aacomas end

can we expect the secondary to come out anytime soon?