2023-2024 University of South Florida (Morsani)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So speculation was right, SELECT is done as they just called the accepted select students and let them into core. Not sure what this means going forward w admissions process
What’s your source for this? I assume you are one of the people who were called.

Also, yeah, this could dramatically change things for current CORE interviewees and potentially mean fewer of us get in from now on.

I find it hard to believe they didn’t see the SELECT changes coming though, and maybe they did and they have contingency plans for it… it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Members don't see this ad.

What’s your source for this? I assume you are one of the people who were called.

Also, yeah, this could dramatically change things for current CORE interviewees and potentially mean fewer of us get in from now on.

I find it hard to believe they didn’t see the SELECT changes coming though, and maybe they did and they have contingency plans for it… it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
Haha yes source is that I was accepted into select and got called

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
damn now i wish i took that select interview offer lol. i wonder if that means less acceptances to come.

I want a refund I applied SELECT only lmao

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like it would significantly decrease the amount of people they can take in both select and core… if all the already admitted select folks are offered core spots I feel like they are less inclined to accept more students as I assume their Florida clinical rotation sites aren’t designed to accommodate both groups.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah unfortunately they didn’t give much info other than select is cancelled and that we are still ok and will be admitted into core… def explains the pause in admissions though but you would think they would’ve have some inkling about this before they sent out select interviews

That is so interesting. Did they have no idea about Jeff-LVHN merger?

That is so interesting. Did they have no idea about Jeff-LVHN merger?
These large mergers can take months or years or fall through, so until the deal was sealed they were not going to make drastic changes.
The timing is actually pretty good in that it happened before the end of the cycle so they can take stock and decide how many Florida seats they still have available. Notifying the folks who had been offered a Select admission that they will be in Florida all 4 years also gives those applicants time to take this into consideration along with other offers they might have.

What do you think happens to people who haven’t heard back yet from SELECT interviews? Will we be considered for core?

What do you think happens to people who haven’t heard back yet from SELECT interviews? Will we be considered for core?
Maybe. But the select interviews were with LVHN faculty, while core IV are done by USF faculty. I'm a little worried that they won't accept anyone else from SELECT, but only time will tell. Here's to hoping!

Maybe. But the select interviews were with LVHN faculty, while core IV are done by USF faculty. I'm a little worried that they won't accept anyone else from SELECT, but only time will tell. Here's to hoping!
I'm also a little disappointed in the school for the lack of communication. I think something as serious as the program we applied to and were interviewing at ceasing to exist would warrant an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also a little disappointed in the school for the lack of communication. I think something as serious as the program we applied to and were interviewing at ceasing to exist would warrant an email.
My bet is they genuinely don't know how to proceed right now so they want to finalize (or at least have some idea of) their plans before updating us. They'll either have to completely rethink how they're going to build the core class now that they've offered admission to previously admitted select applicants, or they're going to have to figure out how to accommodate rotations for ~50 additional students in Tampa

My prediction is that they will try to salvage some of the groundwork and infrastructure they already have. They've put a lot of effort into select over the past decade and given how much they seem to care about rankings, I don't think they will want the negative PR of cutting an entire program just like that

Wonder what will happen to the current M3 SELECT students. :unsure:

Yeah unfortunately they didn’t give much info other than select is cancelled and that we are still ok and will be admitted into core… def explains the pause in admissions though but you would think they would’ve have some inkling about this before they sent out select interviews
This is crazy, almost confirms that everyone interviewed in Nov/Dec got hit with a WL

• Sad
This is crazy, almost confirms that everyone interviewed in Nov/Dec got hit with a WL
For core? I interviewed early-mid Dec and haven't heard back 😕

Current SELECT Student and we got this email yesterday:

Dear Faculty, Staff, Residents, and Students,

Happy New Year! We hope you enjoyed a peaceful and relaxing winter break with your family and friends. The past year was filled with successes, such as the re-accreditation of the medical school by the LCME, our highest-ever level of MCOM grant awards and the most substantial additional state funding ever received by the College of Nursing. But 2023 also brought challenges. Like academic medical centers across the country, our faculty practice faced escalating staff and supply costs and stagnant revenues.

Like 2023, the new year will present opportunities as well as challenges. In the latter category, a few weeks ago, Lehigh Valley Health Network announced a proposed merger with Philadelphia-based Jefferson Health, home of the Sidney Kimmel Medical College. While there are regulatory hurdles to be overcome, it is likely that this merger will occur sometime in 2024. It was prompted by mounting operating losses at both medical centers with the anticipation that by joining they can expand enrollment in the profitable Jefferson Health Plan. Since one of Jefferson Health’s requirements for the union was the elimination of our SELECT MD program, we have unfortunately begun to sunset this highly innovative and academically successful program.

We want to assure everyone that all students currently enrolled who meet graduation requirements will be able to participate in the National Resident Match Program and graduate from the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine. However, we have stopped accepting additional students into SELECT. We will, of course, honor offers of enrollment to those SELECT students already accepted for the Class of 2028.

When the SELECT program was established, the agreement included provisions to ensure continuity for students in the event of program closure. That means that the current SELECT medical curricula, clinical experiences and training will continue as planned through at least 2027. SELECT students will not have to compete with Jefferson students for any year-three clerkships. If any students face unique situations, such as taking a gap year for research or a medical leave, we will work with them to put them in the best position to succeed. We will be meeting with SELECT students via a Teams town hall to discuss any additional questions they may have.

Please also be assured that the sunsetting of the SELECT program will have minimal impact on other MCOM operations. Over time, we will evaluate whether to modestly increase the size of the Core program and how MCOM students may benefit if we incorporate some elements of SELECT into the Core curriculum.

We appreciate the collegiality and hard work of our Lehigh Valley partners in helping us to build SELECT into such an outstanding program. LVHN and Jefferson anticipate that they can meaningfully improve the health of their communities by creating an integrated health care delivery and health plan in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. They believe the merger will give them greater opportunities to improve patient care, attract and retain talent, and be better positioned to compete regionally. We wish them well in these endeavors.

If any of you have additional questions about these changes to the SELECT program, please reach out to one of us. We will continue to update you as more information becomes available.

Sincerely,

Charly and Bryan

Charles J. Lockwood, MD, MHCM

Executive Vice President, USF Health

Dean, USF Health Morsani College of Medicine

Bryan A. Bognar, MD, MPH, FACP

Vice Dean for Educational Affairs, USF Health Morsani College of Medicine

Founding Chair, Department of Medical Education, Morsani College of Medicine

Reactions: 10 users
Current SELECT Student and we got this email yesterday:

Dear Faculty, Staff, Residents, and Students,

Happy New Year! We hope you enjoyed a peaceful and relaxing winter break with your family and friends. The past year was filled with successes, such as the re-accreditation of the medical school by the LCME, our highest-ever level of MCOM grant awards and the most substantial additional state funding ever received by the College of Nursing. But 2023 also brought challenges. Like academic medical centers across the country, our faculty practice faced escalating staff and supply costs and stagnant revenues.

Like 2023, the new year will present opportunities as well as challenges. In the latter category, a few weeks ago, Lehigh Valley Health Network announced a proposed merger with Philadelphia-based Jefferson Health, home of the Sidney Kimmel Medical College. While there are regulatory hurdles to be overcome, it is likely that this merger will occur sometime in 2024. It was prompted by mounting operating losses at both medical centers with the anticipation that by joining they can expand enrollment in the profitable Jefferson Health Plan. Since one of Jefferson Health’s requirements for the union was the elimination of our SELECT MD program, we have unfortunately begun to sunset this highly innovative and academically successful program.

We want to assure everyone that all students currently enrolled who meet graduation requirements will be able to participate in the National Resident Match Program and graduate from the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine. However, we have stopped accepting additional students into SELECT. We will, of course, honor offers of enrollment to those SELECT students already accepted for the Class of 2028.

When the SELECT program was established, the agreement included provisions to ensure continuity for students in the event of program closure. That means that the current SELECT medical curricula, clinical experiences and training will continue as planned through at least 2027. SELECT students will not have to compete with Jefferson students for any year-three clerkships. If any students face unique situations, such as taking a gap year for research or a medical leave, we will work with them to put them in the best position to succeed. We will be meeting with SELECT students via a Teams town hall to discuss any additional questions they may have.

Please also be assured that the sunsetting of the SELECT program will have minimal impact on other MCOM operations. Over time, we will evaluate whether to modestly increase the size of the Core program and how MCOM students may benefit if we incorporate some elements of SELECT into the Core curriculum.

We appreciate the collegiality and hard work of our Lehigh Valley partners in helping us to build SELECT into such an outstanding program. LVHN and Jefferson anticipate that they can meaningfully improve the health of their communities by creating an integrated health care delivery and health plan in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. They believe the merger will give them greater opportunities to improve patient care, attract and retain talent, and be better positioned to compete regionally. We wish them well in these endeavors.

If any of you have additional questions about these changes to the SELECT program, please reach out to one of us. We will continue to update you as more information becomes available.

Sincerely,

Charly and Bryan

Charles J. Lockwood, MD, MHCM

Executive Vice President, USF Health

Dean, USF Health Morsani College of Medicine

Bryan A. Bognar, MD, MPH, FACP

Vice Dean for Educational Affairs, USF Health Morsani College of Medicine

Founding Chair, Department of Medical Education, Morsani College of Medicine
Thanks for sharing that, @CarrieUnderwoodFan

Has anyone who interviewed in November for CORE not been waitlisted?

I see that the email says that they’re honoring SELECT acceptances, but what about SELECT WLs? I was thinking about sending a loi/update letter but I don’t want to do it if it’s out of the question now.

I see that the email says that they’re honoring SELECT acceptances, but what about SELECT WLs? I was thinking about sending a loi/update letter but I don’t want to do it if it’s out of the question now.
I think there's no way to know for now. Best case scenario they would just become CORE WLs and worst case scenario they would just become rejections. My worry was that the already accepted SELECT students would count for all the OOS seats in Core, so the fact that there were some OOS IIs today for Core could be a good sign

Last edited:
This is where the admissions and enrollment management team works with faculty and financial administrators to see what they can do and how to evaluate SELECT alternates for CORE. No way to know until they figure out what they have to do with the existing number of SELECT offers extended.

IS here, received II today for CORE but I'm a bit confused as everyone who interviewed in Nov/Dec seems to have been WL. Do I still have a chance or is the class more or less full from the SELECT students transferred to CORE?

This is where the admissions and enrollment management team works with faculty and financial administrators to see what they can do and how to evaluate SELECT alternates for CORE. No way to know until they figure out what they have to do with the existing number of SELECT offers extended.
Well they’re not gonna retract any offers, those Selects will now be Core and will be in Florida all 4 years.
Their main planning challenge as I see it will be to gauge how many MS3 and MS4 could be reasonably served in Tampa and this may affect their total number of matriculants in the short term.

IS here, received II today for CORE but I'm a bit confused as everyone who interviewed in Nov/Dec seems to have been WL. Do I still have a chance or is the class more or less full from the SELECT students transferred to CORE?
Hard to say. Questions to ask would be, how many people have they already admitted into select thus far? Are they planning on increasing the class size for this year?

If they are still sending interviews and you're in state, your odds probably haven't changed much.

If OOS students are still being sent Core IIs, is this a good or a bad sign for those of us who interviewed for SELECT in November?

Can’t say for sure but I’m assuming the worst until I hear something back so I don’t get disappointed I feel like they made a decision for us already but isn’t announcing it yet

Interviewed for select 11/27. I have received no communication, but from reading these threads it seems that I shouldn't have my hopes too high. Have any other select interviewees heard anything?

For core? I interviewed early-mid Dec and haven't heard back 😕
Sorry I think my previous message was a bit exaggerated. If you haven't heard back yet then I think your time will come in the middle of January, I remember them saying in my Nov interview to not be worried if I didn't hear back in December as I could still be under review. Just annoyed that it seems no one got a call from our interview pool yet

applied core (finished late August) and got a core II on 1/2/24, now feeling concerned with the removal of select and its potential impact on admissions

applied core (finished late August) and got a core II on 1/2/24, now feeling concerned with the removal of select and its potential impact on admissions

I don’t think it’ll be too drastic for core students, it’s just the previously accepted select students converted to core so maybe like 10-30 ish acceptances less out of idk how many considering their large class size. If you want to attend morsani, I think you should def attend the interview and yolo

Interviewed for select 11/27. I have received no communication, but from reading these threads it seems that I shouldn't have my hopes too high. Have any other select interviewees heard anything?
I interviewed 11/20 and also have heard nothing back. Getting close to our 6-8 weeks mark but with SELECT closing down it seems like it’s just a rejection

• Care
I interviewed 11/20 and also have heard nothing back. Getting close to our 6-8 weeks mark but with SELECT closing down it seems like it’s just a rejection
Yeah I agree. It doesn't make much sense to accept more SELECT students, especially since we interviewed with LVHN students and faculty.

• Sad
Yeah I agree. It doesn't make much sense to accept more SELECT students, especially since we interviewed with LVHN students and faculty.
Seems to me like best case scenario is that they’re cooking something up for us (like considering us for core) and that’s why we haven’t heard anything. But prob not

This is so annoying. Like please communicate with us even if it's just to tell us you need more time to figure it all out.

I'm another OOS SELECT November interviewee with no A's whose soul has all but left their body at this point.

Reactions: 3 users
This is so annoying. Like please communicate with us even if it's just to tell us you need more time to figure it all out.

I'm another OOS SELECT November interviewee with no A's whose soul has all but left their body at this point.
I think they deans did just that in the letter that someone shared above.

At this juncture, you are all Core candidates. All interviews that haven't happened yet are for Core. Past interviewees are now being considered for Core.

Side note but if anyone is familiar with how the college works, I had questions about their scholarly concentrations program. I wasn’t sure if it was required or optional for core students. If required, I wonder if they have students work in groups together or if they’re left solely with a research mentor.

Just an applicant with II there so I’m not familiar with how research works in medical school. Also interested in less competitive specialties so I didn’t plan on making it a huge aspect of my residency app

I think they deans did just that in the letter that someone shared above.

At this juncture, you are all Core candidates. All interviews that haven't happened yet are for Core. Past interviewees are now being considered for Core.
Unfortunate we needed to learn this from SDN instead of communicating directly with the applicants. I understand they're in a tight spot, but an email communicating that would be nice. Any clarity would be appreciated.