2023-2024 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Acceptance email received today!!!!!! My first A I still can't believe it!!! I just came home from being abroad this month (did my interview while abroad as well) so I told them my American phone number was not in service. Which I'm assuming is why I was emailed and never got a call

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
While the cycle is young, here is a GroupMe for accepted KYCOM students to get a head start on networking and making sure this is even the right fit for you! Also, I just did my admitted student tour which was fun and they give you a great goodie bag with shirts and a custom KYCOM blanket.

Click here to join: GroupMe

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten an II that submitted secondary at the end of August?

IS Non Trad
Secondary Submitted 9/3
Interviewed today

Great Experience! Very conversational!

Man I just realized apparently I never clicked "submit" after paying my application fee. I thought I was complete this whole time. I am so disappointed... :(

• Wow
  • Care
Do any current KYCOM students have any idea what board passing rates look like for 2022-2023 yet? Or can give any insight into the LEVEL 1 pass rate drop from 95.3% to 84.4% in 2021-2022? This is one of my only really main concerns..

OOS just got an II today!! Can’t believe it!!
Man I just realized apparently I never clicked "submit" after paying my application fee. I thought I was complete this whole time. I am so disappointed... :(

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My interview is this friday!! Does anyone have any tips to prepare for it? I looked at previous replies it seems like it was very conversational?
Just know the basics like why medicine, why do, and be prepared to talk about any meaningful experiences in your life! My interview was extremely chill and conversational. Favorite interview so far!

Just know the basics like why medicine, why do, and be prepared to talk about any meaningful experiences in your life! My interview was extremely chill and conversational. Favorite interview so far!
Thank you! Was the interview closed file?

Interviewed 10/20
Accepted thru email 11/4
Stats: 3.94 GPA | 506 MCAT
OOS coming from IN w/o KY ties
non-trad (applied to only MDs two cycles ago)

Hope this helps and best of luck to all of yall future doctors!! Willing to answer any questions as well!

• Care
just sent an update letter, not sure if its worth it

Interviewed 10/20
Accepted thru email 11/4
Stats: 3.94 GPA | 506 MCAT
OOS coming from IN w/o KY ties
non-trad (applied to only MDs two cycles ago)

Hope this helps and best of luck to all of yall future doctors!! Willing to answer any questions as well!
When did u submit secondary?

When did u submit secondary?
submitted 10/6, complete email 10/8, II 10/11.
Wow i didn’t even realize the turnaround time was so short till u asked

OOS just got accepted!!! I’m so happy ahh
Secondary submitted 10/23
Interviewed 11/03.
503, 3.5gpa no ties to KY. I did have a rural medicine focus in PS/secondary tho, I think maybe that helped.

Good luck to everyone, your good news is coming too!! Pls feel free to DM if u have questions for me

For current students, how do you feel about the courses not being pass/fail? I assume it would add more stress to studying. Are you given the resources needed to do well on exams?

Anyone know if they are still interviewing during the holiday season? Secondary submitted 11/22, marked complete 11/23

I was able to track down the 2023 match data that hasn’t been posted yet for KYCOM. We are probably going to discuss it in the accepted student chat here if anyone wants to discuss it.

Attachments

• 2023 KYCOM Residency Placements_stats_deidentified.xlsx
    17.7 KB · Views: 80
Currently a second year here. Send me any questions and I’ll try my best to answer!

Do they take update letters through email? This is a school I would love to hear back from and I submitted early September.

Do they take update letters through email? This is a school I would love to hear back from and I submitted early September.
Im not sure since I never submitted an update letter. However, when you are accepted the Dean will personally call your number to congratulate you on the acceptance.

Also sorry for the late responses we just had our last block of the semester. Try to get your questions in for me to respond before next semester starts January 3rd!

For current students, how do you feel about the courses not being pass/fail? I assume it would add more stress to studying. Are you given the resources needed to do well on exams?
Unless you are aiming for a super competitive field, I would say the majority of us don't really mind. We all help each other out a lot and stick together as a class. The KYCOM advantage is pretty cool! You get the brand new iPad Pro of that year with a case and Apple Pencil. Everyone gets an OMM table and some basic medical supplies (I.e stethoscope etc.) 2nd year they pay for a subscription to UWorld and TrueLearn that you get assigned questions from. I kind of wish they gave more of that first year as well, but things cost money.

As for exams, you really just have the lecture slides and First Aid that they hand out to everyone. I personally am a big Anki fan and use the AnKing deck.

Is KYCOM a religiously-affiliated school?
In a sense yes, but I promise you they are not lecturing you on religion or anything of that matter. Sometimes they may have a speaker come in once or twice a semester to talk about how faith and prayers helps when times get tough etc.

just got an II as an international applicant. anyone know the post II acceptance rate?

I submitted my secondary about three weeks ago and my current status says "secondary submitted" and the "complete" box is checked also checked on the status list. Am I supposed to get another email after they review my file or am I already processed? Thanks!

I submitted my secondary about three weeks ago and my current status says "secondary submitted" and the "complete" box is checked also checked on the status list. Am I supposed to get another email after they review my file or am I already processed? Thanks!
I was in the same place. You are complete. It took me 5 weeks to get an II after submiting secondary. And my stats are higher than average for this school

Complete on 10/02, silence since then. Seen a lot of quick II turnarounds on here, time to be concerned?

Withdrawing my A from here. I hope it goes to one of you wonderful people!

Also sorry for the late responses we just had our last block of the semester. Try to get your questions in for me to respond before next semester starts January 3rd!
How fast does housing fill up in the area? Should I start now? Kinda concerned about finding a place for me and my dog.

Does anybody know if 4th-year students are allowed to do their rotations in any state? I know most med schools let students do rotations anywhere in the US. However, based on KYCOM's website, they let you do rotations in just a few states. I just want to confirm.

Does anybody know if 4th-year students are allowed to do their rotations in any state? I know most med schools let students do rotations anywhere in the US. However, based on KYCOM's website, they let you do rotations in just a few states. I just want to confirm.
From what I understand you can do rotations at any site that you set up yourself as long as one other student also does their rotations there. I don't have textual evidence but that's what I heard from an informational session.

From what I understand you can do rotations at any site that you set up yourself as long as one other student also does their rotations there. I don't have textual evidence but that's what I heard from an informational session.
So basically it is pretty hard to do rotations at a new site right?