2023-2024 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How difficult is it to find research opportunities/establish relationships with preceptors in competitive specialties here? The idea of being somewhere for a year and then moving away is a bit scary for someone like me who is interested in competitive specialties like ENT, ortho. I feel like it would be difficult to find research opportunities. If anyone can help me with this question, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
How difficult is it to find research opportunities/establish relationships with preceptors in competitive specialties here? The idea of being somewhere for a year and then moving away is a bit scary for someone like me who is interested in competitive specialties like ENT, ortho. I feel like it would be difficult to find research opportunities. If anyone can help me with this question, I’d greatly appreciate it!
It will be location specific. where will you be?

Congratulations! Looks like you have interviewed a lot of places and 2 of your admissions are in Texas.

Where do you want to go?
Thank you! It's a tough choice but I think I have it narrowed down to two options mostly based on research fit (and the spousal approval factor). In the process of withdrawing from most upcoming interviews and trying to be quick with my decision.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Accepted MD/PhD today! Interviewed 12/11
9 day wait, I've been waiting 96 days so far
Is this significant, does it mean I did a bad interview? Or is it all completely up to their whims. It feels unfair to make someone wait this long after an interview if you're going to accept them.

I've been waiting 144 days since my EnMed interview big bro it can always be worse
Is this significant, does it mean I did a bad interview? Or is it all completely up to their whims. It feels unfair to make someone wait this long after an interview if you're going to accept them.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
OOS interviewed in august here..... complete silence ):

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yo dumb question but is the Office of Admissions closed for the break? (like for phone calls)

Going off of this, does anyone know how research is at the Round Rock Campus?
Research opportunities is something the school is actively working on changing/improving across the board.
Generally, most students are doing remote research or do on-site research during the 10-wk summer break.
I haven't heard of any huge discrepancies between clinical research access between Dallas, Houston, or RR though. They all have big hospitals & research facilities in the area.
The benefit of College Station is you do have the major TAMU labs right next to the med school, if you're looking for more lab-based research.

Research opportunities is something the school is actively working on changing/improving across the board.
Generally, most students are doing remote research or do on-site research during the 10-wk summer break.
I haven't heard of any huge discrepancies between clinical research access between Dallas, Houston, or RR though. They all have big hospitals & research facilities in the area.
The benefit of College Station is you do have the major TAMU labs right next to the med school, if you're looking for more lab-based research.
At the ENMED student group Q&A they said that in Houston private labs or non-academic labs actively search for ENMED students to do research, since it is essentially very cheap labor.
Additionally, the middle ~10 floors of the ENMED tower are empty, and they are apparently recruiting researchers to set up labs in those floors.

Say you are really interested in ENMED but you don’t have a prematch from them. ENMED is your top choice. Say you have a prematch from another school that is your second choice. You will let go of the prematch only if it means you can attend ENMED and not the traditional MD program at A&M. How do you rank the schools? I can only see A&M on my match list, not ENMED specifically.

Say you are really interested in ENMED but you don’t have a prematch from them. ENMED is your top choice. Say you have a prematch from another school that is your second choice. You will let go of the prematch only if it means you can attend ENMED and not the traditional MD program at A&M. How do you rank the schools? I can only see A&M on my match list, not ENMED specifically.
Are ENMED applicants considered for regular MD admission?

If you rank the prematch school higher than A&M because you wouldn't want to do the regular MD program there, you have 0% chance of matching to ENMED

ENMED is known to reject people if one is not under consideration to get you out of this conundrum. Just wait a few more days to see if you are out of contention. After that it is your choice whether you want to take the risk.

How does last year's thread look in terms of people matching to EnMED during match?

@hornzup I'm going to DM you

ENMED is known to reject people if one is not under consideration to get you out of this conundrum. Just wait a few more days to see if you are out of contention. After that it is your choice whether you want to take the risk.

How does last year's thread look in terms of people matching to EnMED during match?
from looking at last year's A&M thread, people that matched to ENMED already had a prematch from them

I could be wrong but I am under the impression that those who interviewed at EnMED have to be first rejected by them before they are considered for A&M admission. Are there instances where people have been admitted to A&M and also EnMED?

I could be wrong but I am under the impression that those who interviewed at EnMED have to be first rejected by them before they are considered for A&M admission. Are there instances where people have been admitted to A&M and also EnMED?
Yup that is correct, my understanding is also that ENMED has to reject you first before A&M considers you

The good thing about my four month decision wait since the interview is that I have now achieved perfect zen. I can see around corners and levitate. The bad news is that I don't think they're gunna let me in.

They say no news is good news, but google says 2-3 weeks is the average turnaround time.

• Care
The good thing about my four month decision wait since the interview is that I have now achieved perfect zen. I can see around corners and levitate. The bad news is that I don't think they're gunna let me in.

They say no news is good news, but google says 2-3 weeks is the average turnaround time.
keep meditating!

Reactions: 2 users
So my interview is Feb 1st, and we have to finalize rankings by the 2nd. Has anyone encountered this because I know they dont add on the list until after you interview. I just want to make sure its there before the deadline.

Reactions: 1 users
So my interview is Feb 1st, and we have to finalize rankings by the 2nd. Has anyone encountered this because I know they dont add on the list until after you interview. I just want to make sure its there before the deadline.
Woah that’s really cutting it close. Id personally confirm with the school that it’ll be added the day of so you can rank it accordingly.

Honestly there is not much you can learn from the interview that you cannot learn from google and a chat-gpt internet search.
ENMED is my #1 program, and I walked into the interview having learned everything they told me already.

Honestly there is not much you can learn from the interview that you cannot learn from google and a chat-gpt internet search.
ENMED is my #1 program, and I walked into the interview having learned everything they told me already.
They are asking if they will have enough time to rank it in their TMDSAS portal, because usually there is a longer turnaround for the schools to update it.

They are asking if they will have enough time to rank it in their TMDSAS portal, because usually there is a longer turnaround for the schools to update it.
I would “be that guy” on the interview day and ask the admins “Can you assure us that your portal will be updated after our interview so we can rank your school?”

One year El Paso did their last interviews on the rank deadline day itself and managed to make it work.
I would think as soon as they take attendance on your interview day someone on the admissions staff could update all who attended

Reactions: 2 users
when do we rank the locations (BCS, Dallas, Houston, Round Rock, Temple) that we will be assigned to? or, if we don't rank, how do they make the decision on where to assign us?

when do we rank the locations (BCS, Dallas, Houston, Round Rock, Temple) that we will be assigned to? or, if we don't rank, how do they make the decision on where to assign us?
After you match, around April you will rank your campuses and write a blurb about why you want each one.