2023-2024 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think an A is still in your future. At least you have a II - that gives you a fighting chance!
I hope so. CARS truly killed me. If I get WL I’ll probably retake the MCAT in Jan and update

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
What do you think helped you? Do you think a good interview could help me get an A? I have a very well rounded app with basically everything minus a good MCAT
Sorry to reword: how much stalk does the interview have? I know for some schools it’s the deciding factors and others it’s just another component

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an II just right now at 8:15 pm! 511 3.6 :). Secondaries finished 9/20/23 right before the end
Congrats! Unfortunately, still silence on my end.

I thought there will be more IIs from Noorda? That or they’re just not here.

I hope so. CARS truly killed me. If I get WL I’ll probably retake the MCAT in Jan and update
If you do end up retaking it, I recommend doing Jack Westin daily CARS practice. That's what I did and it helped improve my CARS score.

Congrats! Unfortunately, still silence on my end.

I thought there will be more IIs from Noorda? That or they’re just not here.
I would be shocked if they are done sending II’s. A good guess is usually checking last year’s thread and seeing how long they sent out interviews for

Noorda grand opening email gave me a small jolt.

Good Things Take Time indeed.

Just got the A!! First one of the cycle, so happy! Interviewed 10/6 as well

Reactions: 2 users
What do you think helped you? Do you think a good interview could help me get an A? I have a very well rounded app with basically everything minus a good MCAT
my experiences helped me a lot! not just here but at my current COM also, your interview will also help a ton

3rd year student here

I’m sure official publications will be made soon, but yes that data is accurate. I want to remind you all that we are the inaugural class and that we are right on average for inaugural classes boards results (70-85% is about average). The Learning services team gave an amazing presentation to the current students on Friday about what they learned from our class. They have already changed a lot in regards to the “boards Prep” part of our curriculum. Also it should be noted that only about 40/90 students took step 1. The pass rate will get better and better with every class after us. We are a new school and with that comes a lot of growing pains. This is one of my class’ growing pains. I understand that this may be worrisome for prospective students. Considering everything, I still have zero regrets with my decision to attend Noorda. I’m happy to address more concerns about this topic.

We have a ton of interests groups including anesthesiology! I think pretty much every specialty has a club right now! As far as clinical research goes, do we have clinical trials happening? Haha no, but there is a ton of benchwork lab, lit reviews, surveys, etc. At last years research symposium there were over 100 posters presented. There are also a lot of students who have created their own projects with the help of faculty members. Finding research won’t be a problem at Noorda.
Hello! Did they say specifically what they learned or what they are looking to change to improve this for the next few years??
Also do you know why the grand opening was pushed back? I thought the building was already being used?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys! Anxiously awaiting..... interviewed 10/11.... Any of the virtual people from 10/11 hear back yet??
I haven't heard anything yet. I saw people getting acceptances from 10/6 and I briefly freaked out cause I didn't have anything but it's not even the same day I interviewed lol

Hello! Did they say specifically what they learned or what they are looking to change to improve this for the next few years??
Also do you know why the grand opening was pushed back? I thought the building was already being used?
Yeah, I wont go into the nitty gritty details, but they have revised some of the courses at the end of second year to give more "dedicated" or "guided" study time for boards. At the end of second year is a boads prep course that they will start one week earlier and go about 2 weeks longer. They are also having the second years start reviewing/studying using boards prep questions banks pretty much from day one of OMS-II, whereas for us, they didn't have us start until dec/jan of second year. Also, the second years will take their first practice exam (COMSAE) much earlier(march) than we did (beginning of June). Based on those results they will make recommendations for studying, possible remediation. They have also emphasized the importance of focusing on Comlex level 1 instead of Step 1. They are not discouraging students from taking step 1 unless they have serious concerns about the student passing the exam. However, the need for step 1 is decreasing as more residency programs re-evaluate the change to P/F. If you want to pursue any sort of surgical specialty, plan on taking step, but other specialities, it may not be as important. You can still take step 2 without step 1, if I'm remembering correctly. Hopefully that answers your question.

As far as the grand opening festivities delay, I'm not entirely sure of why that happened. But we are 100% fully functioning in the new building. In fact, I am writing this response from one of the pods in the new building. They are still working on installing some furniture and balancing the AC but otherwise its pretty much 100% usable! We don't even have access to our old campus anymore. It is beautiful space with state of the art technology. I overheard some people saying that we have the most technologically advanced anatomy cadaver lab in the nation! So thats kinda cool hahah too bad my class wont really have the opportunity to use it

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, I wont go into the nitty gritty details, but they have revised some of the courses at the end of second year to give more "dedicated" or "guided" study time for boards. At the end of second year is a boads prep course that they will start one week earlier and go about 2 weeks longer. They are also having the second years start reviewing/studying using boards prep questions banks pretty much from day one of OMS-II, whereas for us, they didn't have us start until dec/jan of second year. Also, the second years will take their first practice exam (COMSAE) much earlier(march) than we did (beginning of June). Based on those results they will make recommendations for studying, possible remediation. They have also emphasized the importance of focusing on Comlex level 1 instead of Step 1. They are not discouraging students from taking step 1 unless they have serious concerns about the student passing the exam. However, the need for step 1 is decreasing as more residency programs re-evaluate the change to P/F. If you want to pursue any sort of surgical specialty, plan on taking step, but other specialities, it may not be as important. You can still take step 2 without step 1, if I'm remembering correctly. Hopefully that answers your question.

As far as the grand opening festivities delay, I'm not entirely sure of why that happened. But we are 100% fully functioning in the new building. In fact, I am writing this response from one of the pods in the new building. They are still working on installing some furniture and balancing the AC but otherwise its pretty much 100% usable! We don't even have access to our old campus anymore. It is beautiful space with state of the art technology. I overheard some people saying that we have the most technologically advanced anatomy cadaver lab in the nation! So thats kinda cool hahah too bad my class wont really have the opportunity to use it h
Thank you for all this info!!! Very good to hear! Definitely still a top choice for me if I get in!

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't heard anything yet. I saw people getting acceptances from 10/6 and I briefly freaked out cause I didn't have anything but it's not even the same day I interviewed lol
Same! Haha hopefully later on this week!

Waiting for a decision and those financial aid emails keep giving me a heart attack lol

Just got waitlisted (interview 10/06), truly gutted as this was my top choice school to attend. really hoping for some movement in the near future!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
True, but since 11 days falls on a weekend, I was hoping it'd be today, wishful thinking
I don’t think they have a specific timeline. I think the committee just meets every couple/few weeks and decides then on people who have interviewed so it all depends on schedule.

I don’t think they have a specific timeline. I think the committee just meets every couple/few weeks and decides then on people who have interviewed so it all depends on schedule.

I guess that is when they mass release IIs and As / WLs. They don't seem to trickle down - they seem to be more in massive waves.

Anyone else hoping they release more decisions today 😅
I like how all the other students got decisions in 7 to 11 days while the 10/11 gang is waiting for more than 11 days lol

• Haha
I like how all the other students got decisions in 7 to 11 days while the 10/11 gang is waiting for more than 11 days lol
Exactly! I wonder what caused the delay. Now another day of obsessively looking at my phone and constantly making sure the ringer is on.

You know, I guess I just assumed it was a call since another school called, but looking back over the thread I saw one person mention email acceptance, so yeah, maybe I didn't need to keep checking my phone. :p

You know, I guess I just assumed it was a call since another school called, but looking back over the thread I saw one person mention email acceptance, so yeah, maybe I didn't need to keep checking my phone. :p
Yeah I believe it's email and also their portal.

They email and do portal updates!

And a friendly heads-up in case the waiting is killing you like it did for me - not sure if this will be everybody's experience but my portal updated about 15-20 minutes before I got my email, so just something to consider. Good luck to everybody!

And a friendly heads-up in case the waiting is killing you like it did for me - not sure if this will be everybody's experience but my portal updated about 15-20 minutes before I got my email, so just something to consider. Good luck to everybody!
When did you interview?

Rec’d an A today! Got a text message with it too

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I didn't interview long enough ago to have a decision yet, but how do you access your portal for when the time comes? When I go back to the link that I submitted my secondary through, it just gives me a "thanks for submitting" message.

I'm pretty sure I got waitlisted. No email or anything but my portal has a new section "WL information" so that's unfortunate. Congrats to others that got accepted though!

Reactions: 3 users