2023-2024 Midwestern University (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is a match list from this spring in the DO Students forum. We did have a neurosurgery match and quite a few other good ones.

I imagine they would grant you some leniency with attending orientation even if you were to be accepted this late & there's definitely plenty of apartments in town so finding somewhere to live shouldn't be too hard.

As someone who went through multiple cycles before getting an acceptance, I would take the opportunity to interview. A missed year of attending salary if you got in 1 year later vs the higher tuition at AZCOM if you got in this year makes it a bit of a wash financially (this is an estimate without knowing numbers from where you'd hypothetically get in, obviously).
Sounds good, thank you for the response. I feel like I’d benefit from having a roommate who is also going to AZCOM not only cause of the lessened cost but it’d be nice to have someone in a similar situation as I am. idk if there’s any “incoming class of 2023 groups” but I’ll try and find something like that. I’ve done a tiny bit of housing research and it does seem like there’s a good amount of nice apartments near so that’s promising.

As far as orientation goes do you know what is usually done during that week before class begins? It’s possible I could get there by the 31st it’s just a pretty narrow window haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good, thank you for the response. I feel like I’d benefit from having a roommate who is also going to AZCOM not only cause of the lessened cost but it’d be nice to have someone in a similar situation as I am. idk if there’s any “incoming class of 2023 groups” but I’ll try and find something like that. I’ve done a tiny bit of housing research and it does seem like there’s a good amount of nice apartments near so that’s promising.

As far as orientation goes do you know what is usually done during that week before class begins? It’s possible I could get there by the 31st it’s just a pretty narrow window haha.
There is a Discord group! Join the AZCOM Class of 2027 Discord Server!
I think most people have likely finalized roommates and such but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Orientation is honestly just you sitting in the auditorium for 2.5 days while every class you'll take that year, a bunch of clubs, and the school health insurance salesman present. Maybe a couple hokey team building exercises.

There's only a few things that can't just be covered in an email. The first day, they take ID photos & take you to the testing center to familiarize you with it (spoiler alert, it's not rocket science to swipe your badge to enter & exit). Second day you get a campus tour, your badges, and your medical equipment. Third day was just more sitting around listening.
I know they have M2s having breakfast & lunch all 3 days with you guys. There is also an on-campus ice cream social that Monday afternoon & a non-school-sanctioned off-campus welcome party being put together by some M2s on that Wednesday night. So yeah. That's all the stuff you might miss.
If you had to miss the first 2 days, I'm sure the school will arrange for you to get your badge/medical stuff & then there's likely some M2s who would be happy to tour you.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a Discord group! Join the AZCOM Class of 2027 Discord Server!
I think most people have likely finalized roommates and such but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Orientation is honestly just you sitting in the auditorium for 2.5 days while every class you'll take that year, a bunch of clubs, and the school health insurance salesman present. Maybe a couple hokey team building exercises.

There's only a few things that can't just be covered in an email. The first day, they take ID photos & take you to the testing center to familiarize you with it (spoiler alert, it's not rocket science to swipe your badge to enter & exit). Second day you get a campus tour, your badges, and your medical equipment. Third day was just more sitting around listening.
I know they have M2s having breakfast & lunch all 3 days with you guys. There is also an on-campus ice cream social that Monday afternoon & a non-school-sanctioned off-campus welcome party being put together by some M2s on that Wednesday night. So yeah. That's all the stuff you might miss.
If you had to miss the first 2 days, I'm sure the school will arrange for you to get your badge/medical stuff & then there's likely some M2s who would be happy to tour you.
Thank you! thats all super helpful I really appreciate it

Hey everyone, wanted to see if anyone has advice regarding my situation. I applied for the 2024 cycle with all intentions of starting med school next year. Yesterday I got a call from AZCOM saying they would like to interview me for a place in their 2023 entering class starting July 31st. I love the Phoenix area and completed my undergrad there but I live over 1,000 miles away so I feel like leaving home and finding a place to move to in Glendale and starting school in less than 2 weeks could be a little hectic. Outside of the rushed timeline, the only other con I really have with AZCOM is the price. I have a virtual interview scheduled for July 26th and would assume I would hear an admissions decision quickly after that. Has anyone happened to have a scenario like this before where they are admitted to the cycle a year earlier than expected, or have any other advice in general?
I interviewed with AZCOM, and received an acceptance to their 2023 matriculating class. I decided not to take the acceptance and instead start 2024 because I want to see if I can get into a cheaper school and/or have a year to save some money for the high tuition lol. To each their own, I don't live nearly as far away as you do, but the amount of stress to move down in less than two weeks is not worth it for me. Plus I have already dropped so much money into this entire application process not to give other schools an opportunity first.
*Also, the fact that you received an interview (and acceptance?) is a very good indicator that you are a desirable candidate and will likely get into other schools. Additionally, you can do exactly what I did and say you'd like to be considered for the 2024 class, that you originally applied to, and have security knowing you've already been accepted to a school through the rest of this cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed with AZCOM, and received an acceptance to their 2023 matriculating class. I decided not to take the acceptance and instead start 2024 because I want to see if I can get into a cheaper school and/or have a year to save some money for the high tuition lol. To each their own, I don't live nearly as far away as you do, but the amount of stress to move down in less than two weeks is not worth it for me. Plus I have already dropped so much money into this entire application process not to give other schools an opportunity first.
*Also, the fact that you received an interview (and acceptance?) is a very good indicator that you are a desirable candidate and will likely get into other schools. Additionally, you can do exactly what I did and say you'd like to be considered for the 2024 class, that you originally applied to, and have security knowing you've already been accepted to a school through the rest of this cycle.

Did you defer the acceptance or outright decline it?

Did you defer the acceptance or outright decline it?
I didn't decline the acceptance, nor defer (because from my understanding deferring would mean accepting, and then I would not be eligible at other schools). I asked to be still considered for the 2024 class, which they were understanding of and said I'd get my acceptance notice in about 6 weeks for the 2024 matriculating class.
*I'd be more than happy at AZCOM, I think it is a really good school and I'd fit in well there, I was just not planning on starting school in less than 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't decline the acceptance, nor defer (because from my understanding deferring would mean accepting, and then I would not be eligible at other schools). I asked to be still considered for the 2024 class, which they were understanding of and said I'd get my acceptance notice in about 6 weeks for the 2024 matriculating class.
*I'd be more than happy at AZCOM, I think it is a really good school and I'd fit in well there, I was just not planning on starting school in less than 2 weeks.
Completely understandable, especially if you don't already have a place lined up and move-out date without breaking contract at another place!

My application portal is giving me dates to schedule an interview, but no email yet? Anyone else get this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait listed for II here. Not ideal, but it's better than an R I guess

Reactions: 4 users
Wait listed for II here. Not ideal, but it's better than an R I guess
They emailed about being waitlisted for II? I completed 6/22; however no email about II or II-waitlist just yet.

They emailed about being waitlisted for II? I completed 6/22; however no email about II or II-waitlist just yet.
Yeah I just got my II waitlist email this morning. Complete as of 6/20. Maybe they just haven't gotten to yours yet?

I was complete 6/16 and no word yet either

II this morning as well! OOS LM 68 complete in early July

Congrats! I was accepted as well and went with the same decision as you. If nothing else changes maybe I'll see you there next year haha

II this morning at 4:14 EST! Canadian

Last edited:
Anyone else complete in mid June and not hear anything yet?

Got an interview this morning! Does anyone know the advantages or disadvantages of doing a virtual or in-person interview? I live fairly close by so the travel cost isn’t a burden for me

Got an interview this morning! Does anyone know the advantages or disadvantages of doing a virtual or in-person interview? I live fairly close by so the travel cost isn’t a burden for me
They say no preference for in person or virtual. In person you just obviously get campus tour in real life. Other than that the day and interview will be the same for virtual and in person

Good morning everyone! I got an II on August 3rd. But it went to spam! Please double-check everyone! Secondary complete on 7/3

how was your clinical experience as a Canadian given our privacy laws smh pretty sure I'm being neurotic but have convinced myself mine aren't enough lol
Lol I completely feel you and I was stressed about that too. So obviously due to our privacy laws I have 0 hours shadowing. I do have 800 hours of clinical volunteering experience where I had direct patient contact. Unlike USA where the student volunteers sometimes perform clinical procedures, we are not allowed to do that in Canada. But my position had the next best thing which was getting them "prepared" for procedures such as MRI scans, blood tests, etc where I got to converse with a lot of patients. But yeah I didn't know whether this experience would suffice but clearly it's school dependent!

Anyone else able to schedule an interview but didn't get an email (not even in my spam folder)?

I cant tell if this is fr lol

Anyone else able to schedule an interview but didn't get an email (not even in my spam folder)?

I cant tell if this is fr lol
That happened to me, but it said I had an interview invite in my portal, idk. I went ahead and scheduled it! I thought about emailing to confirm, but I figured something just happened on their end. Either way, when I scheduled it, I got an email confirming my interview date and other stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
Do we know the general post interview acceptance rate? I heard it’s 70% which feels fake

received an A from midwestern just today!! I interviewed 7/14, they had spots open for fall 2023 cycle, but I asked them if I can be considered for fall 2024 since that was my original intention
congrats future doctor!!! time to celebrate!!