2023-2024 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 complete and under review of as yesterday.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
dang, that school is throwing IIs fast as heck… congrats everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre II R:( First R in this first cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Pre II R:( First R in this first cycle.
I think I will be expecting the same as well. I have a cGPA of a 3.84 and sGPA of a 3.7 but my MCAT is a 500. I submitted on May 31st and it was complete but haven't heard anything. Did you receive an email?

I think I will be expecting the same as well. I have a cGPA of a 3.84 and sGPA of a 3.7 but my MCAT is a 500. I submitted on May 31st and it was complete but haven't heard anything. Did you receive an email?
Speaking as somebody who was also pre-II R, they seem to care a lot about MCAT.

Who knows though. You have a better score than me.

Yeah, I receive the same email someone mentioned on page 1 of this post. Don't give up, my MCAT is 49x, GPA 4.0.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I receive the same email someone mentioned on page 1 of this post. Don't give up, my MCAT is 49x, GPA 4.0.
Congrats on the awesome GPA stats. I am sure you will get in to an osteopathic program!

For the following question: The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine promotes values and equity from various cultural, social, and economic backgrounds. Discuss the role that diversity played in your decision to become an osteopathic medical school applicant. (250 words).

Is this question asking: how will you contribute to diversity within ACOM?
or how did diversity --> lead into applying for med school??

For the following question: The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine promotes values and equity from various cultural, social, and economic backgrounds. Discuss the role that diversity played in your decision to become an osteopathic medical school applicant. (250 words).

Is this question asking: how will you contribute to diversity within ACOM?
or how did diversity --> lead into applying for med school??
I addressed both in mine

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive an II with a sub-500? This is my third choice school, I'm sitting with a 498.. :') Strong application otherwise.

Anyone receive an II with a sub-500? This is my third choice school, I'm sitting with a 498.. :') Strong application otherwise.
I think anybody with less than a 501 has been put on an Interview hold.

Hey! Scored a 500 and received a II today. They said, "The competitive MCAT score usually begins at 501 and the competitive GPA is 3.4 (overall) and 3.3 (Science). A higher MCAT score and/or grade point average (above 3.4) results in improved chances for an interview." I assuming that they made it through all the 501+ and are assessing others now?
Hopefully, I get an II because I have a 500 MCAT as well. You got this!

2 people I know (one virtual, and a classmate) scored under 500 and they got II already. I however was placed on a hold today with my 498 🥲
Process for II definitely seems to be holistic and not just stats

Reactions: 2 users
Didn’t seem like an option to me
1688765770883.png

Attachments

• 1688765761473.png
    1688765761473.png
    52 KB · Views: 98
Could someone take a look at my ACOM secondary, especially #2

Does anyone know how soon they let you know their decision after your interview?

folks getting ll so far, can we see some stats just to see? I got a 3.4 and 501 with complete email the other day, just curious what everyone else is at

Any II's today? Was marked complete yesterday and it looks like they have a pretty quick turnaround for II's / R's ...

Rising OMS-3, currently in dedicated for boards. Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have about ACOM, Dothan, or HPSP. Wishing you all the best of luck this cycle!
Firstly, congratulations on your transition into the third year! I have some questions below:
1. What did you find to be your best third-party academic resource during OMS-1 and 2?
2. In Dothan, how far does the HPSP stipend extend? Does it cover rent, utilities, insurance, personal expenses, etc.?

Firstly, congratulations on your transition into the third year! I have some questions below:
1. What did you find to be your best third-party academic resource during OMS-1 and 2?
2. In Dothan, how far does the HPSP stipend extend? Does it cover rent, utilities, insurance, personal expenses, etc.?
Thanks! Honestly, I studied a lot off of the in-house lectures (in-house exams) and used third party resources to supplement for certain subjects. I used Sketchy for all bugs and drugs, Pathoma for path, some Anki, and Dirty Medicine on Youtube for general high-yield stuff. I also used UWorld and TrueLearn for my Qbanks, largely during the second half of second year. I had a lot of classmates use Amboss and they seemed to really like it. There will likely be discount codes passed around, so look out for those if you'd like to purchase it.

I didn't have any trouble living on the stipend in Dothan. I lived in a 1 bedroom at Summerfield for a little over $1100 a month, which included my utilities. Your insurance (if on the school's plan) is covered by the scholarship. I was able to max out my Roth both years and save some each month, but I also didn't go out too much and cooked most meals at home. If you're worried about the stipend covering expenses, you can always take out a small amount in loans to bridge the gap. N = 1, of course, but I found it to be sufficient.

I'm honestly a little confused about this secondary. I submitted the supplemental application, but on the checklist regarding the LOR's, I see nowhere to complete them. Will that come from AACOMAS?

I'm honestly a little confused about this secondary. I submitted the supplemental application, but on the checklist regarding the LOR's, I see nowhere to complete them. Will that come from AACOMAS?
Yes! Just have to wait now :)

ll just now
501 and 3.4 nontraditional URM
Complete like a week or two ago

Do ya’ll think it would be better to do beginning of the month online or end of the month in person. I like in person to better connect, but I don’t want end of September to hurt me.

Do ya’ll think it would be better to do beginning of the month online or end of the month in person. I like in person to better connect, but I don’t want end of September to hurt me.
I think end of September should be fine, especially with how the DO cycle runs... I'm going in person as well that day if that's what you decide on, so I'd see you there!

• Care