Harvard HST vs. Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockbug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to the HST program at Harvard and am on the waitlist at Columbia. I would like to go into academia and do research plus see patients in my career (maybe be involved in translational research). However, I am torn between going to HST or trying to get off the waitlist at Columbia (I have a 2nd interview on Friday) by writing a letter of intent etc. I think HST would be better prep for my career goals, but it seems like the kids at Columbia love their school, the lifestyle, and the overall experience more. I think I might be happier, in terms of lifestyle, at Columbia and am wondering if HST really does give you an advantage in going into academia. At the same time, I am really excited by the type of classes offered by HST, the small class size, and the resources. Regardless of where I go, I want to do research and will take off a year most likely to do so. Both institutions have lots of labs for basic science neuro research, although Harvard has more.

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on this! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to do research, Harvard has the clear advantage. The resources available through HMS can't be matched. I agree that Columbia is a great school and the students seem really happy. You need to decide what is most important to you. If it is advancing your academic career, go to Harvard.

It could help to find a PI or two at each place who has a career that you might want to model. Talk to them. They will certainly give you better advice than me. And by the way, if you're admitted to Harvard HST and you tell Frantzy boy that you'd rather go to P&S, he will admit you. Stealing Harvard kids is one of his favorite things. Then talk to some PIs and make your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everything mweiss said. You should try to talk to PI's at both places if you can. P&S is also strong in neuro and has alot of research going on at the Neurological Institute, so there may be enough to satisfy your research interests.

If you want to do research, Harvard has the clear advantage. The resources available through HMS can't be matched. I agree that Columbia is a great school and the students seem really happy. You need to decide what is most important to you. If it is advancing your academic career, go to Harvard.

I agree that Harvard's better. But the question is will this difference be noticeable to any individual researcher? Columbia isn't exactly a sh it hole (10th ranked research school)... If research is what you want to do, either school will be suited to your needs. Just make sure you ask yourself where you would rather spend four years!

If you're neuro, there won't be as much difference between HST and Columbia in terms of research opportunities. It's usually said that the lab you work in matters far more than the institution, and both have top-tier labs (that reminds me, Tom Maniatis is leaving Harvard this fall to go to Columbia). In my humble opinion, I'd still say that Harvard in general will be better for advancing your academic career, due to the reasons stated above, but perhaps not that much better for neuro.

This is of course anecdotal, but my adviser is a recent HST grad and she has complained a bit about the type of students- apparently at mixers, there's always a group of HST students standing awkwardly in the corner. They're no doubt the nerdier type. So if you include that as a part of lifestyle, that's something to keep in mind. Though of course, it is still Harvard and Boston.

And I agree with what mweiss said, if you want to get off the waitlist definitely let Columbia know that otherwise you'll go to HST. Competing for students is part of the culture on the admissions side.

Try this: flip a coin between HST and Columbia. Tell yourself you're going to whichever school wins. If your response is to say meh... then try again. Let me know if it works.

Last edited:
Try this: flip a coin between HST and Columbia. Tell yourself you're going to whichever school wins. If your response is to say meh... then try again. Let me know if it works.

One of the posters a while ago had similar advice. Flip a coin. If the outcome causes you extreme anxiety or fills you with dread, go to the other place.

That being said, there is no way in heck I would pick my med school based off a coin flip. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.