2023-2024 Columbia (Vagelos)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Columbia (Vagelos) Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Have you previously applied to Medical School? Comments: (200 characters)

2. If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. (250 words)

3. Did you work for compensation during college (either during the school year or summers)? If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)

4. If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (300 words)

5. Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions. (300 words)

6. Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (300 words)

7. Is there anything else you would like us to know? (400 words)

For MSTP Applicants:

What academic honors have you received (e.g., prizes, scholarships, fellowships, honor societies)? (1000 words)
What are your major research interests? (20 words)
PhD Goals (1000 words)
Additional Information (1000 words)
Upload CV
There's also an "Experiences" section similar in format to the Work/Activities section of the AMCAS (no word limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there anything else you would like us to know? (400 words)
Is a covid essay here fine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the secondary yesterday, but it doesn't show the option to select or see secondary prompts, just an area to submit prereq coursework. Anyone else figure out how to navigate to the prompts?

Got the secondary yesterday, but it doesn't show the option to select or see secondary prompts, just an area to submit prereq coursework. Anyone else figure out how to navigate to the prompts?
Still waiting to get secondary tbh

Random question but are prereqs broken up into lab and course? Also do any other secondaries ask you to fill out coursework? I’m tired of filling out classes lol

Last edited:
Secondary received! Here are the prompts: @chilly_md

Have you previously applied to Medical School? Comments: (200 characters)

If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. (250 words)

Did you work for compensation during college (either during the school year or summers)? If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)

If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (300 words)

Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions. (300 words)

Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (300 words)

Is there anything else you would like us to know? (400 words)

Reactions: 1 user
I got a secondary invite, despite my application not yet being verified. How is this even possible?

Reactions: 1 users
same here lmao i thought it was a scam but is not 😭
My whole understanding of how the system works is rocked, haha. AMCAS apparently does send our information before we are verified?! So confused.

My whole understanding of how the system works is rocked, haha. AMCAS apparently does send our information before we are verified?! So confused.
Dude for real, I haven't even pre written secondaries because I was waiting to take my MCAT first, this caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting any secondaries this month AT ALL.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude for real, I haven't even pre written secondaries because I was waiting to take my MCAT first, this caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting any secondaries this month AT ALL.
You have to start early. Read

Same here.. not verified (submit primary like 3 days ago or not..)

does everyone get a secondary? haha can't imagine theyre pre-screening unverified apps (IS secondary received!)

Last edited:
+1 OOS secondary. Anybody else having trouble with the CV upload? It loads forever even though it says it uploads and then it won't let me save. When I try to upload again, it says I can only upload one file, but it's not marked as complete so I cannot submit my entire secondary.

what kind of CV do we have to upload? like our resume?? it's so repetitive lmao

You have to start early. Read
I know that, I haven't had time to work on it with working full time and taking my MCAT by the end of July. It's been super rough. I was just making a comment.

+1 OOS Secondary without verification... wondering if it's legit? And if I submit before verification will it mess anything up?

+1 OOS Secondary without verification... wondering if it's legit? And if I submit before verification will it mess anything up?
I asked this question to admissions and they said that they are not going to review the application until you are verified and they also said a two week turnaround was preferred as well when asked.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
OOS Secondary (MSTP) received.

Is the CV optional? I feel as though my CV will be mostly redundant and will not add much to my application

Is the CV optional? I feel as though my CV will be mostly redundant and will not add much to my application
Don't believe it is optional. It's inevitable that it's redundant but they might use it at the interview stage or something like that to provide interviewers with a shorter rundown of your activities.

Is it worth doing a "why us" essay for the "anything else" section. I always am undecided when it comes to top schools since it's pretty obvious why you are applying there. Is there anything else that anyone is using the "anything else" section for?

+1 OOS secondary received. Not verified yet, however.

Is it worth doing a "why us" essay for the "anything else" section. I always am undecided when it comes to top schools since it's pretty obvious why you are applying there. Is there anything else that anyone is using the "anything else" section for?
Number 6 provides a chance to advocate for your fit. You could use number 7 for "why their school".

Hello - is anyone else having the issue of not being able to upload their CV?

I tried multiple browsers / document types and contacting Zap Solutions but have had no luck. Unfortunately, it will not let me submit my application without Uploading a CV (the error is "Document type is limited to 1 per application").

+1 OOS secondary. Anybody else having trouble with the CV upload? It loads forever even though it says it uploads and then it won't let me save. When I try to upload again, it says I can only upload one file, but it's not marked as complete so I cannot submit my entire secondary.
Yes me too! have you figured it out?

Did you figure out what the Experiences section was for? It said work in one field which confused me
No I haven't, just opened up the application today and TBH I am confused as well. I was going to look back at last year's thread to see if anyone mentioned anything and then email if I am still unsure.

For Q5, are you guys doing multiple meaningful positions or one? It's plural in the question, but I feel it'll be better if I just focus on one.

For Q5, are you guys doing multiple meaningful positions or one? It's plural in the question, but I feel it'll be better if I just focus on one.
I only focused on one - I felt it was more meaningful to reflect on my actions/growth in detail that more superficially over multiple

Reactions: 2 users
I chose to do two so I could get kinda in depth on both of them but still have multiple since they did say positions

I applied to medical schools last cycle but this is my first time applying to Columbia. Should I answer the first question- "Have you previously applied to Medical School?" as a yes or no?

I applied to medical schools last cycle but this is my first time applying to Columbia. Should I answer the first question- "Have you previously applied to Medical School?" as a yes or no?
Yes, this question is general, not only to Columbia. So probably you could focus your answer on what you learn and why you are applying again, etc?

Could you post the MD/PhD questions? Thank you!
Not OP but the MSTP questions are:

What academic honors have you received (e.g., prizes, scholarships, fellowships, honor societies)? (1000 words)

What are your major research interests? (20 words)

PhD Goals (1000 words)

Additional Information (1000 words)

Upload CV

There's also an "Experiences" section similar in format to the Work/Activities section of the AMCAS (no word limit)

@chilly_md