2023-2024 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got this email in early July then received secondary a few weeks later.
I was referring to an email I got after submitting my secondary weeks later. The headline was "Application Still with Admissions Committee ."

Reactions: 1 user
I was referring to an email I got after submitting my secondary weeks later. The headline was "Application Still with Admissions Committee ."
Word, i haven’t received anything since sending in my secondary. It seems they have some emails with similar wording, so i got confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how preclinical is graded here. I heard it’s H/P/F but i’m not sure. Thanks.

I also got that email that it’s still under review and i’m 4.0/516 in state. Complete end of july

Last edited:
IS II received on Aug 22nd! It is for late September. So excited!! I hope they like me lol :love: was completed 7/13.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if I can use upper div. science prof LOR for Western? Last year, a friend withdrew their app cuz they didn’t have LOR from basic science prof. I only have letter from upper div prof. and this is my dream school! 😫

i just got a secondary today after submitting my primary in early june (OOS). so weird seeing people already got IIs lol

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if I can use upper div. science prof LOR for Western? Last year, a friend withdrew their app cuz they didn’t have LOR from basic science prof. I only have letter from upper div prof. and this is my dream school! 😫
I would email admissions and say the specific name of the class but i’m thinking as long as it’s a sci class you should be good

Members don't see this ad :)
Just apply with it! I was worried about this because I didn't have an LOR from a basic science prof but their adcom told me to just apply, if they have an issue they will email you to ask for another letter.

I don’t see them as an option to send my Casper to on the acuity portal, I sent it to the northwest one as that was the only option I saw, can anyone offer me some advice? Should I contact acuity or the school?

I don’t see them as an option to send my Casper to on the acuity portal, I sent it to the northwest one as that was the only option I saw, can anyone offer me some advice? Should I contact acuity or the school?
You are good, that one option sends it to both schools.

+1 IS II received this morning! Received and completed secondary 08/30. I'm surprised from the quick turnaround.

OOS II today. LM: 67. Secondary complete in late August.

If I submitted secondaries early july and haven't heard anything back, but people who submitted later got II, should I assume it's a rejection?

If I submitted secondaries early july and haven't heard anything back, but people who submitted later got II, should I assume it's a rejection?
I don't think it means a rejection. I think it's just mean that we are not their first choice. I am on the same boat except I submitted mid Aug.

they gave me a heart attack with their email that basically said we’re reading your application 😀

If anyone interviewed yet, how was the process? Not trying to get any specifics, but just overall opinions :)

Is it an MMI? Don’t have an II, just curious
There are two parts--the first is a traditional panel interview (2-3 interviewers), and then the Friday after your interview you do a separate MMI. There is also a student ambassador social

There are two parts--the first is a traditional panel interview (2-3 interviewers), and then the Friday after your interview you do a separate MMI. There is also a student ambassador social

That is quite an involved interview process

It says 30 minutes online but I read somewhere else 90 minutes? Not too sure at this point
it should be 30. Also: "You will be given an overview of the MMI process after which you will participate in two 5-minute interactions with standardized patients. Instructions will be given for each interaction."

it should be 30. Also: "You will be given an overview of the MMI process after which you will participate in two 5-minute interactions with standardized patients. Instructions will be given for each interaction."
For this part--do you know if it's additional to the 30 minutes? Or included in that time?

For this part--do you know if it's additional to the 30 minutes? Or included in that time?
The way I read that is that the 30 minutes includes an overview of the MMI and then the two 5-minute standardized patient interactions. My interview is in two weeks so I'll know for sure then, but this is what I'm expecting based on the information given. They said it'll seem quick.

The way I read that is that the 30 minutes includes an overview of the MMI and then the two 5-minute standardized patient interactions. My interview is in two weeks so I'll know for sure then, but this is what I'm expecting based on the information given. They said it'll seem quick.
Okay, thanks so much! I'll let you know too, I interview this upcoming week

• Love
Just did the informal Student Ambassador Social tonight--if you're on the fence about doing it, I highly recommend going! The students are extremely nice and will answer all your questions.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just did the informal Student Ambassador Social tonight--if you're on the fence about doing it, I highly recommend going! The students are extremely nice and will answer all your questions.
How was your experience with the rest of the week if you don't mind sharing :)

How was your experience with the rest of the week if you don't mind sharing :)
@boulderbro12

Hey! So this week's group is almost finished--apparently, we are the first group to interview this year so I will try to give you some insight. That being said, I still have to do the MMI tomorrow so I'm not 100% done.

My panel interview went well-ish. I think they do a great job structuring everything about the day, but they do the interviews in a somewhat strange way. Every interviewee is asked the same questions, and then the interviewer writes down your answer while you are speaking, so they aren't really looking at you. They did acknowledge this at the beginning and say "We are paying attention to you, we just have to write down what you say so that's why we won't be looking at the camera". But I was asked to repeat what I said a couple of times so they could write it.

The interviewers were nice, but the pauses while I was waiting for them to write stuff down were a little awkward. Overall, not a horrible interview experience, it just felt a little impersonal.

I'll update ya'll when I do the MMI tomorrow!

Reactions: 6 users
@boulderbro12

Hey! So this week's group is almost finished--apparently, we are the first group to interview this year so I will try to give you some insight. That being said, I still have to do the MMI tomorrow so I'm not 100% done.

My panel interview went well-ish. I think they do a great job structuring everything about the day, but they do the interviews in a somewhat strange way. Every interviewee is asked the same questions, and then the interviewer writes down your answer while you are speaking, so they aren't really looking at you. They did acknowledge this at the beginning and say "We are paying attention to you, we just have to write down what you say so that's why we won't be looking at the camera". But I was asked to repeat what I said a couple of times so they could write it.

The interviewers were nice, but the pauses while I was waiting for them to write stuff down were a little awkward. Overall, not a horrible interview experience, it just felt a little impersonal.

thank you! good luck on the MMI tmr!!

• Care
@boulderbro12

thank you so much for sharing!! Good luck tomorrow :)

• Care
Okay! Done this morning. Obviously no specifics because we signed a confidentiality agreement but some insight:

It’s 2, 5 minute standardized patient roleplays. Everything is super relaxed and easy. You don’t even really need to prepare like crazy, just be confident and really put yourself in the role that you are given. Everyone was really kind.

My tip is to ask the SP lots of questions. Be empathetic, all that jazz. I’m no actress by any means (I literally hate it) but actually, it was kinda fun?

Good luck y’all! You got this

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Okay! Done this morning. Obviously no specifics because we signed a confidentiality agreement but some insight:

It’s 2, 5 minute standardized patient roleplays. Everything is super relaxed and easy. You don’t even really need to prepare like crazy, just be confident and really put yourself in the role that you are given. Everyone was really kind.

My tip is to ask the SP lots of questions. Be empathetic, all that jazz. I’m no actress by any means (I literally hate it) but actually, it was kinda fun?

Good luck y’all! You got this
Thank you! Any nonspecific tips on how to prep for their panel interview?

Thank you! Any nonspecific tips on how to prep for their panel interview?
Prepare answers to those high yield Q’s, but also be prepared to be questioned on your answers if that makes sense. Be able to emphasize the uniqueness of Western.

• Care
Prepare answers to those high yield Q’s, but also be prepared to be questioned on your answers if that makes sense. Be able to emphasize the uniqueness of Western.
Thank you so much for this! You're awesome :)

@boulderbro12

quick question. How do you know everyone gets asked the same questions? I was re reading the interview info to prepare for Tuesday, and it says a panel of interviewers, but does not mention interviewing in front of other candidates. Is it you alone with interviewers or are there other candidates being interviewed with you at once?

quick question. How do you know everyone gets asked the same questions? I was re reading the interview info to prepare for Tuesday, and it says a panel of interviewers, but does not mention interviewing in front of other candidates. Is it you alone with interviewers or are there other candidates being interviewed with you at once?
So interview day is composed of different sections, it’s not just the interview it’s also a 30 minute Q&A and 30 minute Admissions video. You cycle through those. So you are assigned to a group (1, 2, or 3), and each of those has about 10-15 interviewees. You are doing an individual interview, not a group one. There is just one large group of interviewees going through the day with you.

They inform you that you will all be getting the same questions during the beginning/check-in to elaborate on how you are graded.

• Care
So interview day is composed of different sections, it’s not just the interview it’s also a 30 minute Q&A and 30 minute Admissions video. You cycle through those. So you are assigned to a group (1, 2, or 3), and each of those has about 10-15 interviewees. You are doing an individual interview, not a group one. There is just one large group of interviewees going through the day with you.

They inform you that you will all be getting the same questions during the beginning/check-in to elaborate on how you are graded.
got it! thank you so much for explaining :) This makes it a bit less nerve wracking lol

• Care