2023-2024 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
western requires a science letter, but i cannot seem to get a hold of my science profs since they are all on vacation. I have 2 DO letters, 1 MD, 1 research PI letter. what should i do?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IS secondary received. Submitted primary 7/4, received secondary 7/25. There was a slight delay because I forgot to send my MCAT score to AACOMAS.

Did anyone else just get an Application is Still with Admissions Committee email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted : 07/22
Missing MCAT notification : 07/23 (It turned out that I did not send it to AACOMAS from AAMC.)
Received secondary today : 07/26

2023-2024 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California) Secondary Essay Prompts: (500 word limit each)

1. What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (This could be a formal shadowing experience (one-on-one with a physician), scribing, observing your own physician, friend, or family member who is a DO).

2. If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?

3. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did your activity benefit the community?

4. How does the COMP Mission statement align with your values?

5. Why do you want to attend COMP?

6. What does diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you and why are they important?

7. Have you participated in research? (y/n)
If yes, briefly describe your role and what skills you gained from participation in the research.
Please provide us with the link to the publication or abstract if possible.
Did you contribute to the published work as an author/coauthor? (y/n)

8. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.).

9. If you have not taken any coursework for over 3 years, please explain why and what you have been doing during that period of time.

10. Are you a transfer applicant? (y/n)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Should we write something for each prompt even if it does not apply to us? Specifically question 2. I don't want to leave a section blank, but I did answer question 1 about my experiences with shadowing a DO physician.

Should we write something for each prompt even if it does not apply to us? Specifically question 2. I don't want to leave a section blank, but I did answer question 1 about my experiences with shadowing a DO physician.
I had experience with a DO so I did not answer #2.

Does anyone know if the secondary app is sent out progressively? Verified my MCAT on 7/19 after submission and the status page of my account says they are awaiting my secondary but I never got the email (checked spam too). Not sure if copium or if I need to reach out.

For question 2 (If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?) is this strictly referring to shadowing or can it mean scribing with a DO or observing one thorough our own primary care?

For question 2 (If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?) is this strictly referring to shadowing or can it mean scribing with a DO or observing one thorough our own primary care?
... the question literally says "observe a DO" I think you're fine my friend

I haven't received a secondary here yet, submitted primary in early July, is this normal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an ema saying

“This message is to inform you that your application is still under consideration by the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) Admissions Committee. We appreciate your patience and are grateful for your continued interest in the DO program on our Pomona campus.”

Got an email about attending an open house event... Would that have any impact on our decisions?

anyone know if interviews have been sent yet?

Application still under consideration email...
This message is to inform you that your application is still under consideration by the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) Admissions Committee. We appreciate your patience and are grateful for your continued interest in the DO program on our Pomona campus.

Application still under consideration email...
This message is to inform you that your application is still under consideration by the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) Admissions Committee. We appreciate your patience and are grateful for your continued interest in the DO program on our Pomona campus.
Strange…I have never received such a note. Did you already turn in a secondary?

I haven’t.

I haven’t gotten a secondary yet either. Submitted 7/7 and have LM 68
Oh! I'm earlier...like late May / early June.

My stats are a lot lower, but I'm IS and in the region.

I haven’t gotten a secondary yet either. Submitted 7/7 and have LM 68
I went to an information session and they said as long as your MCAT is above 500, gpa is 3.2, and you don't have any misdemeanors, you should get a secondary. If you do a have a misdemeanor, they take some time to look into it before sending you a secondary.

Last edited:
I went to an information session and they said as long as your MCAT is above 500 and you don't have any misdemeanors, you should get a secondary. If you do a have a misdemeanor, they take some time to look into it before sending you a secondary.
I actually heard back from admissions recently. The committee needs to manually review my file before sending me a secondary because I don’t have 50 science credits total. I believe I have 45 graded hours and about 10 p/f science credit hours

Reactions: 2 users
I went to an information session and they said as long as your MCAT is above 500, gpa is 3.2, and you don't have any misdemeanors, you should get a secondary. If you do a have a misdemeanor, they take some time to look into it before sending you a secondary.

Did they say that was a hard screen for a secondary? I took the risk in applying with a sub 500 MCAT but have yet to receive an R, was getting the feeling the silence was a soft R.

Did they say that was a hard screen for a secondary? I took the risk in applying with a sub 500 MCAT but have yet to receive an R, was getting the feeling the silence was a soft R.
they didn't say it as a hard screen, it was more like if you have these stats, you will be guaranteed a secondary. If you don't satisfy these requirements it really depends. But also don't stress too much about it because they havent started giving II yet.

I’m in the same position, though I’m also IS and in the area.

I’m in the same position, though I’m also IS and in the area.

Lets hope for the best! Until I get the email R, I will try and remain positive. It's still relatively early so we will see I guess.

Lets hope for the best! Until I get the email R, I will try and remain positive. It's still relatively early so we will see I guess.
That is true.

Man…it’s a battle to stay patient and positive. My record is shaky, despite repairs, and all I’ve been getting are R’s.

I wish us both great luck in this cycle.

That is true.

Man…it’s a battle to stay patient and positive. My record is shaky, despite repairs, and all I’ve been getting are R’s.

I wish us both great luck in this cycle.

Yeah keep ur head up. Im seeing some success with a 3.4 self post bac and 496. Cycle is not over, keep it going and be confident in yourself!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah keep ur head up. Im seeing some success with a 3.4 self post bac and 496. Cycle is not over, keep it going and be confident in yourself!
Congrats! Trying to keep the faith.

Got a second email today saying application still under review... anyone received an II yet?

So ig they screen for IA? Have not received a secondary and now I am worried it is bc of my IA

II just now!! OOS, LM 70, ORM, 1Q casper, ready for review email received 07/25.

Reactions: 4 users
IS II received. Completed 7/31. ORM, Non-Trad, LM69.

IS II! Complete 7/29. Casper 3rd Q.

IS II this morning!!

Last edited:
Looks like they are inviting people who completed applications until Jul.

Oh... Hang in there bro, wish you can get it soon☀️