2023-2024 North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
assuming no calls today?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Facebook went up by 16 today … maybe they did acceptances and people just didn’t post here.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Facebook went up by 16 today … maybe they did acceptances and people just didn’t post here.
It could also be that the FB information was just provided recently and not when they were accepted two weeks ago

One of my friends who was recently admitted in the last wave just got into the Facebook Group, so I don’t think this was from yesterday

Reactions: 7 users
hopefully but I could see it being one more week too. in the 2022-2023 thread they didn't find out until the 21st

hopefully but I could see it being one more week too. in the 2022-2023 thread they didn't find out until the 21st
really banking on the fact that they have to fill their class by the 15th to be the reason we hear more things next week. But obviously no one knows if they've already reached that number. If so, it can definitely be a long wait still.

Reactions: 1 user
really banking on the fact that they have to fill their class by the 15th to be the reason we hear more things next week. But obviously no one knows if they've already reached that number. If so, it can definitely be a long wait still.

You're correct Drizzle! I believe they just have send a number of acceptances that at least equals that of the class size by March 15. This is written below from the AAMC traffic guidelines page.

View attachment 383568

Just thought I'd drop this here as well, but they don't have to fill their class by the 15th per se. They just have to offer the same number of acceptances as they have seats. So they could hypothetically offer 220 acceptances, and only have 160 of those filled by the 15th.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I'd drop this here as well, but they don't have to fill their class by the 15th per se. They just have to offer the same number of acceptances as they have seats. So they could hypothetically offer 220 acceptances, and only have 160 of those filled by the 15th.
yes, but the general consensus on this thread seems to be that they haven't hit 220 yet (though no one knows). If they haven't, we'll certainly be hearing more news next week.

According to someone who works with admissions, they offer acceptances equivalent to the class size and then send out waitlist notifications. Then in April they start pulling off waitlist

They're also just technically recommendations. My IS school is notorious for sending out most of their decisions (including A's) as close to 4/30 as possible. But that doesn't mean UNC doesn't adhere to the guidelines. I hope everyone doesn't have to wait too much longer!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 11.37.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 11.37.40 AM.png
    316.9 KB · Views: 48
For sure! I guess all I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't be afraid that they're gonna fill their class up completely on the 15th. I feel that they still have plenty of spots to give and we shouldn't be freaking out about them having a full class yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't completely full until at least the end of March.

Reactions: 2 users
According to someone who works with admissions, they offer acceptances equivalent to the class size and then send out waitlist notifications. Then in April they start pulling off waitlist
Interesting, is this typical? I thought they don’t have a ton of WL movement

I think maybe like 30-40 kids will get in from waitlist.

I find that interesting only because I feel like there wasn't that much WL movement when I was on it last year. It felt like maybe 10 got off the WL. Then again not everyone who applies uses SDN so who actually knows. But to me it felt like more folks were accepted right out and then there was only scant WL movement. But if that really is coming from admissions then who knows maybe they're switching it up this year.

I find that interesting only because I feel like there wasn't that much WL movement when I was on it last year. It felt like maybe 10 got off the WL. Then again not everyone who applies uses SDN so who actually knows. But to me it felt like more folks were accepted right out and then there was only scant WL movement. But if that really is coming from admissions then who knows maybe they're switching it up this year.

Last year they accepted 262 for a class size of 205. Meaning. 57 had to come from waitlist. I got this data from the 2023 spreadsheet which takes data from AAMC and USNews.

Also MOST people don’t post on sdn. They gave out 650 interviews this year. I don’t even think 100 people posted on here saying they got an interview lol

Reactions: 2 users
Last year they accepted 262 for a class size of 205. Meaning. 57 had to come from waitlist. I got this data from the 2023 spreadsheet which takes data from AAMC and USNews.
They prob accepted more tbh, not everyone is gonna take the acceptance

They prob accepted more tbh, not everyone is gonna take the acceptance

I think regardless if you accept or not they report who got accepted to AAMC for MSAR data. There’s a difference between stats for accepted students and those who matriculated

I guess my point is that those 57 didn't necessarily have to come from the WL. Some people turn down acceptances before they make the WL, so they can offer more acceptances with the next wave.

I guess my point is that those 57 didn't necessarily have to come from the WL. Some people turn down acceptances before they make the WL, so they can offer more acceptances with the next wave.

While that is likely, I doubt it because scholarships don’t happen until April ish. My friend turned down his acceptance from unc for ecu due to a scholarship

Agreed. I don't think the number of admits includes people accepted off the WL, just initial acceptances. Most schools over accept and still pull off the WL after things settle. My wife's med school initially accepts 200-250 students (which is also the number listed on the spreadsheet) for a class of 140 and then later has WL movement based on need.

Agreed. I don't think the number of admits includes people accepted off the WL, just initial acceptances. Most schools over accept and still pull off the WL after things settle. My wife's med school initially accepts 200-250 students (which is also the number listed on the spreadsheet) for a class of 140 and then later has WL movement based on need.
UNC does it differently. They DONT over accept. They will accept the amount to fill the class size and later on they will pull off the waitlist as people decline their acceptance.

Given the 262 offers to fill 205 seats last year, to fill 220 seats would take around 280 offers.

Now, from my understanding of the March 15 deadline, it’s likely they will try to send out at least 220 offers by then, but will continue to send more offers up to around 280 by the end of April, during which everyone with an A would need to plan or commit to enroll. Idk if the estimated # of offers include WL people, but it’s safe to say they still have many offers to hand out

I also know there are GUARANTEED acceptances from the EXCEL program which is about 8 I think. so there's really only 212 spots out of 220.

I also know there are GUARANTEED acceptances from the EXCEL program which is about 8 I think. so there's really only 212 spots out of 220.
As was also the case last year…just take 8 off of the estimated 280. But again, this is only an estimate as numbers vary year by year

I just hope I can provide any sort of reassurance. No news is still good news at this point.

However, even if it’s hard, try not to think about the “statistics” bc you are more than just a number.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, just posting to let everyone know that it truly is not over until you get the R. One of my good friends did not get accepted off the waitlist until late May. Other classmates literally got accepted in June and July. I am sure this is not the norm but hope is not lost until you get the official R. Good luck to you all, and I hope to see all of you in the Fall!

Reactions: 9 users
Do y'all have a decline acceptance form or no forms? I still have a withdrawal from consideration. It could mean good news for y'all - they probably will replace it with a decline acceptance form for those accepted.
Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.17.43 PM.png

My withdrawal form disappeared when I was accepted but I also had the residency form

Edited to fix.

We're just assuming that people without the "Notification of Withdrawal from consideration" link are accepted due to other accepted students in the past having portal changes like that in the past. We may be right we may be wrong, but I'm confident we'll know today.

Last edited:
So tired of these mind games week in and week out. Did the portal change for anyone? Do people have this form, or that one? Did someone receive a post-interview email, or did they not? At this point I'm not super invested in the outcome of my app, I just want a break from this nonsense.

Reactions: 7 users