2023-2024 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any insight as to the question in intrapersonal competencies? Like what sort of stuff are people putting, I want to put a challenge from a nonclinical job experience, but I dont want to put anythign that shpws where I messedup or made a mistake. Thoughts?

I emailed them and they said:

"This is totally at your discretion. This is an opportunity to highlight your engagement with osteopathic medicine specifically."

So, I'm only adding DO experiences, they'll look at my non-osteopathic experience on my primary.
Should we elaborate on our DO experiences beyond what we said in our primary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Truthfully I would advise against this. their secondary explicitly states, "Do you have any osteopathic medical or shadowing experiences?"

This is a situation where words matter and if they wanted you to talk about all of your clinical experiences they likely wouldn't include osteopathic in the prompt. If you are unsure I would advise asking the school, best case scenario you include non-osteopathic related clinical experiences and it doesn't really impact your application. Worst case scenario they see an inability to follow simple instructions and screen your app.
yeah but they give you the option to put other providers, if they just wanted DO clinicals then why even put that. its seriours, but not that serious bro

Reactions: 1 user
yeah but they give you the option to put other providers, if they just wanted DO clinicals then why even put that. its seriours, but not that serious bro

In my opinion I would take this entire process very seriously bro. Every school receives thousands of applications each year and there are people on admissions that are looking for any reason to screen out your application. I’ve gone through this application cycle once before and had the privilege to talk to two adcom members from separate schools that rejected me. This whole process is insane and not all of it is going to make sense to you or me, but if a prompt is asking for OSTEOPATHIC medical experiences I would take it at face value and only input those specific experiences and focus on your exposure to osteopathic medicine, as I’m sure your primary app already discusses your other clinical experiences, but you do you.

I am personally only putting osteopathic physicians. However, I truly think that would be a crazy way to screen applications! Everyone has different experiences; some applicants might have MD physicians who wholeheartedly believe in osteopathic medicine, and they may want to include that experience.

Don't stress too much about it, though, yall!

I am personally only putting osteopathic physicians. However, I truly think that would be a crazy way to screen applications! Everyone has different experiences; some applicants might have MD physicians who wholeheartedly believe in osteopathic medicine, and they may want to include that experience.

Hello! Current OOS student who did put a non-DO experience in this section and was obviously successful, make sure you are careful if you do this and describe why your experience with a non-DO (could even be NP/PA etc.) was aligned with the tenants of osteopathic medicine!

Reactions: 1 users
anyone else have their app fee waived? i don't remember paying it and I don't have any app fee help either so not sure how it got waived?

In my opinion I would take this entire process very seriously bro. Every school receives thousands of applications each year and there are people on admissions that are looking for any reason to screen out your application. I’ve gone through this application cycle once before and had the privilege to talk to two adcom members from separate schools that rejected me. This whole process is insane and not all of it is going to make sense to you or me, but if a prompt is asking for OSTEOPATHIC medical experiences I would take it at face value and only input those specific experiences and focus on your exposure to osteopathic medicine, as I’m sure your primary app already discusses your other clinical experiences, but you do you.
It asks you if you have DO experience. It doesnt ask you to only input the DO experience. I took the CIA/consitution route in which anything not forbidden by the constitution is fair game lol. I mean I wrote separate essays for the DO experiences and put them at the top, then the non DO ones after that. Better to do too much then too little. And its not as if non DO experience is any less valid so we'll see I guess

agreed! I didnt change up my non DO experience descriptions too much when I put them in but I think really streesing the DO expereinces and making those really good are important!

Members don't see this ad :)
We'll find out in a few months if it mattered when we do or don't get interviews!:rofl:

Does MSUCOM require Casper? I completed it last month but just checked my school distribution on Acquity and it wasn't there. When I checked the school list, MSUCOM isn't on there as well.

Does MSUCOM require Casper? I completed it last month but just checked my school distribution on Acquity and it wasn't there. When I checked the school list, MSUCOM isn't on there as well.

Thought I heard they want it if you get an II but might be wrong

If you look under the DO section, it does state that MSUCOM requires if accepted to interview.
I emailed them! Their response was
"CASPer is not a part of our process for the 2024 application cycle. You do not need to send your score to us.
Best,"

Secondary submitted 7/21

Does anyone know anything about avg GPA/MCAT for Canadians?

Hi you guys I just got verified two hours ago, how long does it take to get a secondary after you are verified?

Can any current med students speak on the competitiveness of MSU? I’m a re-applicant applying to DO schools this time around with a 3.31 GPA, 3.2 science gpa and a 503 MCAT. I have a lot of research and clinical experience and social justice experience as well. Does anyone think me applying here was a waste because of my stats?

Can any current med students speak on the competitiveness of MSU? I’m a re-applicant applying to DO schools this time around with a 3.31 GPA, 3.2 science gpa and a 503 MCAT. I have a lot of research and clinical experience and social justice experience as well. Does anyone think me applying here was a waste because of my stats?
Are you in-state? I'm also reapplying this year with a 503 MCAT and 3.5gpa. I know people who have gotten in with similar stats, so if your IS I don't think it's a waste of time. Good luck!

Are you in-state? I'm also reapplying this year with a 503 MCAT and 3.5gpa. I know people who have gotten in with similar stats, so if your IS I don't think it's a waste of time. Good luck!

No I’m OOS . I feel like I messed up

No I’m OOS . I feel like I messed up
The truth is, no one can truly tell how it will go, except those on the ADCOM. If you can afford it, you might as well try. If you do not apply, you will 100% not get in. If you do apply, there's a chance. Good Luck!

The truth is, no one can truly tell how it will go, except those on the ADCOM. If you can afford it, you might as well try. If you do not apply, you will 100% not get in. If you do apply, there's a chance. Good Luck!

I got my application waived so I ended up submitting it. I guess we’ll see what happens

Ah, MSU does have an in-state preference, so it's a bit more competitive for OOS applicants. hopefully your extracurriculars will help you stand out!

Well I hope they feel I fit their mission . I really love the school

• Care
What about OOS with a 3.47 sGPA and a 510, no real cumulative GPA because British undergrad

Would a 3.77 cGPA and 3.75 sGPA 511 (128/127/128/128) be competitive for a Canadian applicant (strong ECs with multiple global health experiences)?

The WAMC forum on SDN may be able to help with more specific questions like that?

Im almost scared to go back and look at my secondary submission. If you pointed a gun at me and asked me what their mission is I’d say pull the trigger. I’m depressing this whole awful process

Im almost scared to go back and look at my secondary submission. If you pointed a gun at me and asked me what their mission is I’d say pull the trigger. I’m depressing this whole awful process
It’s so demoralizing and stressful, especially if your record isn’t sterling.

Kinda different prompts from last year:
The MSUCOM curriculum stresses the importance of intrapersonal competencies, including personal responsibility and adaptability. Please tell us a time when you were faced with a challenge in these areas and how that challenge impacted your professional growth.
What does professionalism mean to you as a future physician?
You may provide additional information, not stated elsewhere, you feel may help the Admissions Committee gain a better understanding of your candidacy. This may include major life achievements or explanations of academic or non-academic discrepancies on your application. You may also include interests or work experiences.

also requires shadowing info in detail, what do you guys put in the description?

[mention]lovemydog [/mention]

• Love