2023-2024 Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I hated when they put semi-overlapping to overlapping prompts on secondaries lol.

I think the biggest thing that would stand out to me would be the sizes of the cities, and the different kinds of opportunities that are associated with them. So for a more rural area for example, you may be seeing a different type of patient population than an urban or suburban area, which can affect the types of patients you get to interact with. It would also therefore likely affect the initiatives the school and other community organizations are involved with, as well as the type of research they could be doing (e.g. wet lab vs clinical trials vs community). If there's a certain interest in medicine you have, you could maybe see if/how the way they provide care, resource, etc. in that field differs between the campuses. That way you can kind of tie it in with your previous question, but expand on it in a unique way. Since they really like to promote the curriculum as being the same between campuses, it could also help you tie into that too since you're also illustrating how they offer the same element of the curriculum at these campuses.

They obviously changed the questions from last year so I didn't have to do this one when I applied, but that's just a thought that comes to mind on how to approach it.
THANK YOU!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How are people answering #4, "What are some of the causes and consequences of prejudice and injustice? What does an individual’s response to prejudice and injustice reveal about their character? What is the role of a bystander who witnesses prejudice or injustice?"

This is a very important question, but the way it's worded seems like the question is just asking for a listing of facts. It seems difficult to answer the prompt while saying anything unique that helps me stand out.

After answering the questions directly, I'm considering adding a story about how I confronted racism in college. However, doing that and pointing out my actions as the role of a bystander seems a bit self-congratulatory and perhaps even "white savior"-esque. It also makes the essay much longer.

Are people just answering the question literally or providing personal anecdotes?

How are people answering #4, "What are some of the causes and consequences of prejudice and injustice? What does an individual’s response to prejudice and injustice reveal about their character? What is the role of a bystander who witnesses prejudice or injustice?"

This is a very important question, but the way it's worded seems like the question is just asking for a listing of facts. It seems difficult to answer the prompt while saying anything unique that helps me stand out.

After answering the questions directly, I'm considering adding a story about how I confronted racism in college. However, doing that and pointing out my actions as the role of a bystander seems a bit self-congratulatory and perhaps even "white savior"-esque. It also makes the essay much longer.

Are people just answering the question literally or providing personal anecdotes?
I mostly directly answered it then added little key details about myself. Like I discussed how being raised in the south, politeness was a large deal and how confronting others biases can be challenging in this situation and how I’d adjust etc. so far more straightforward than my others but with a few personal touches in there. I was worried about coming off self congratulatory too so I just answered the question directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people receive secondaries? And how many of those who get secondaries get interviews? Does anyone know?

How many people receive secondaries? And how many of those who get secondaries get interviews? Does anyone know?
All my research seems to indicate that the information about how they screen secondaries and how many go out is not public, but that they do actually screen. However, the number of interviews is publicly available on MSAR. Last year, 700 interviews were granted with 280 being from in-state.

Incoming M1 at the Chicago campus here. Yes, this is correct. They changed how it worked last year so there was some confusion on when to apply, but it's definitely post-acceptance. Basically, at some point (sorry, I don't remember exactly when), the prompts for the concentrations will appear in the AMP portal, and then you can fill them out. Just for reference, I was accepted into IMED, and I submitted my application at the end of March, received my (2) interviews in mid-April, and was accepted near the end of April. And I think they said you can apply to multiple concentrations, but can only be in 1 if you are accepted into multiple.

One other thing to note is that your campus assignment will affect your ability to do a certain concentration. As in, if you apply to a concentration and get assigned to a campus where that concentration isn't offered, then you won't be able to do it, which is why they have it as post-acceptance I think. They also had a couple of Zoom sessions about scholarly concentrations in November last cycle, but I didn't attend so I'm not sure what they covered or anything.

And if anyone has any questions you think I can answer let me know, and I'll try to help if I can. Good luck everyone!

Edit: added which campus I'm attending

Quick question for you - how does campus selection work? Is it sort of like a ranked match? Is there anything we can do to increase our likelihood of being selected for a particular campus?

I'm interested in the Chicago and Peoria campuses, with a preference for Chicago. However, I have connections to the Peoria area that I mention in my secondary essays.

I would love to attend either campus, but I think Chicago aligns better with my mission and values; I'd still be happy at Peoria though, it's a nice city and the campus is great.

Quick question for you - how does campus selection work? Is it sort of like a ranked match? Is there anything we can do to increase our likelihood of being selected for a particular campus?

I'm interested in the Chicago and Peoria campuses, with a preference for Chicago. However, I have connections to the Peoria area that I mention in my secondary essays.

I would love to attend either campus, but I think Chicago aligns better with my mission and values; I'd still be happy at Peoria though, it's a nice city and the campus is great.
Yeah, so after you've been accepted, you'll get the chance to rank your three campuses in the secondary portal and then after some days/weeks, you'll get notified about where you've been assigned. Admissions said they consider your campus rankings as well as your overall application as they decide on where to place you, but outside of ranking your campus preferences, I don't think there's much specifically you could do to influence your placement.

Yeah, so after you've been accepted, you'll get the chance to rank your three campuses in the secondary portal and then after some days/weeks, you'll get notified about where you've been assigned. Admissions said they consider your campus rankings as well as your overall application as they decide on where to place you, but outside of ranking your campus preferences, I don't think there's much specifically you could do to influence your placement.
Thank you for your response! One additional question - when you submit your ranked preferences, do you get to explain why these are your preferences with a short paragraph, or is it just a simple form selection?

Thank you for your response! One additional question - when you submit your ranked preferences, do you get to explain why these are your preferences with a short paragraph, or is it just a simple form selection?
No problem! And it was just a form where you put the 3 campuses in order

anyone know how long they take to mark "international documentation" as received?
can I ask what this even is? I am a Canadian student and it says I need to submit this for my application to be complete but I have no idea what I am meant to submit

can I ask what this even is? I am a Canadian student and it says I need to submit this for my application to be complete but I have no idea what I am meant to submit
I am not Canadian but I submitted my I-20, EAD card (work authorization) and first page of my passport and it was good. I think it should be your passport, student visa and I-20 if you are still a student, and plus work authorization (TN for Canadian?) if you are taking gap years

Hello Im also a Canadian student and noticed this in my secondary application as well, however in their e-mail they clearly state Canadians do not need to provide this extra documentation. I e-mailed admissions and they immediately changed it and marked my app as complete.

M2 at Rockford here. Glad to help answer questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem! And it was just a form where you put the 3 campuses in order
Is this after you've been OFFERED admission, so you can consider the A at a certain campus versus As at other programs? Or do you need to confirm you'll be attending Illinois, and THEN you get assigned? I can really only do one of the campuses due to my partner's work / family. Thanks!

Is this after you've been OFFERED admission, so you can consider the A at a certain campus versus As at other programs? Or do you need to confirm you'll be attending Illinois, and THEN you get assigned? I can really only do one of the campuses due to my partner's work / family. Thanks!
They ask you to accept a non-binding offer of admission and then submit your campus preferences, after which you'll get your campus assignment. So you will have to officially accept the offer, but it's non-binding so you can always turn down the seat after your campus assignment for another school without any issues. It only becomes binding once you decide to move forward and PTE/CTE with them near the end of the cycle

Reactions: 2 users
They ask you to accept a non-binding offer of admission and then submit your campus preferences, after which you'll get your campus assignment. So you will have to officially accept the offer, but it's non-binding so you can always turn down the seat after your campus assignment for another school without any issues. It only becomes binding once you decide to move forward and PTE/CTE with them near the end of the cycle
Thanks very much, this is super helpful!

Hi! So I live in one of the cities where the campus is located (I don't want to dox myself by accident). I know the area of one campus quite well, so it is my main preference. I applied here previously 2 years ago (during my junior year of undergrad) and didn't get a secondary. I have reapplied this cycle and got a secondary! My undergrad GPA and MCAT are low (3.30 and 495, respectively). However, I enrolled in an MPH program at George Washington University last September (after completing my undergrad) and will be completing it this September. My GPA is currently 3.91.

The campus students are also collaborating with a local free clinic for the uninsured and underinsured. In my secondary, I pointed out that I also volunteered at this clinic for the past 5 years. I have also been using my MPH knowledge to create patient materials. I've collaborated with the medical students for this project and outside of it as well. I also attended a seminar about Health Inequities hosted at this campus, which I mentioned as well. The point is I really tried to show that I am familiar with a particular campus, have collaborated with students from the medical school, and have been involved in some capacity.

Based on this, what are my chances?

Hi! So I live in one of the cities where the campus is located (I don't want to dox myself by accident). I know the area of one campus quite well, so it is my main preference. I applied here previously 2 years ago (during my junior year of undergrad) and didn't get a secondary. I have reapplied this cycle and got a secondary! My undergrad GPA and MCAT are low (3.30 and 495, respectively). However, I enrolled in an MPH program at George Washington University last September (after completing my undergrad) and will be completing it this September. My GPA is currently 3.91.

The campus students are also collaborating with a local free clinic for the uninsured and underinsured. In my secondary, I pointed out that I also volunteered at this clinic for the past 5 years. I have also been using my MPH knowledge to create patient materials. I've collaborated with the medical students for this project and outside of it as well. I also attended a seminar about Health Inequities hosted at this campus, which I mentioned as well. The point is I really tried to show that I am familiar with a particular campus, have collaborated with students from the medical school, and have been involved in some capacity.

Your MCAT is very low (below the 10th percentile for this school) and may get you screened out quickly upon review. Your extracurriculars seem good, but it will likely not offset your low stats. Why don't you consider retaking the MCAT?

I would post in the WAMC section and get adcom advice if you are curious about your chances. Could your chances be better with a stronger MCAT? Sure, based on statistics, but I'd take anything that I say with a grain of salt because I'm not an adcom. UIC is known for highly valuing the things you've mentioned, so I can only see that working in your favor. Good luck!

Your MCAT is very low (below the 10th percentile for this school) and may get you screened out quickly upon review. Your extracurriculars seem good, but it will likely not offset your low stats. Why don't you consider retaking the MCAT?
Wouldn't retaking the MCAT now for this current cycle be too late? I've also been extremely busy with the MPH program. I started it last September and finish it next month. It was supposed to be a 2 year program but I'm finishing in 1.

Is this school OOS-friendly for Midwest students?
It's about as OOS-friendly as a public state-funded institution can get. I'm from the midwest OOS personally and I have friends from both coasts.

That being said, we pay a hefty premium for the privilege. Check the OOS tuition/CoA before you make your decisions to apply/attend.

How bad is it that I wrote UNICOM instead of UI COM as the abbreviation in my secondaries?
Just now realizing this mistake….

Just realized my MCAT is 4 months too old for this school. Still worth submitting?

Yea I think the first interview came out September 12th last year.

Does Illinois look at how long you took to turn in a secondary? I am wondering if I should still turn it in after 7 weeks. I have just been so anxious about answering the questions with no character limit lol. I was born in Peoria ( moved when I was 2) and my dad did med school at Illinois. Is it worth it to turn the secondary so late?

Does Illinois look at how long you took to turn in a secondary? I am wondering if I should still turn it in after 7 weeks. I have just been so anxious about answering the questions with no character limit lol. I was born in Peoria ( moved when I was 2) and my dad did med school at Illinois. Is it worth it to turn the secondary so late?
I'm sure it's not optimal, but there's no harm in doing so (minus the fee if applicable). It's still not late in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are IS and/or have ties, which you do, I don't think state schools are as concerned with the turnaround time. Most schools care about turnaround time as a gauge of your interest. State schools know you're interested because you're in-state, and their mission is to educate as many in-staters as they can. So I don't think a later submission will hurt you here as much as it would for, say, a low-yield OOS private school that has average stats way below yours. Make sense? I say submit.

If you are IS and/or have ties, which you do, I don't think state schools are as concerned with the turnaround time. Most schools care about turnaround time as a gauge of your interest. State schools know you're interested because you're in-state, and their mission is to educate as many in-staters as they can. So I don't think a later submission will hurt you here as much as it would for, say, a low-yield OOS private school that has average stats way below yours. Make sense? I say submit.
Yeah that makes sense! Thank you so much! I will submit it today!
I'm sure it's not optimal, but there's no harm in doing so (minus the fee if applicable). It's still not late in the cycle.
Thank you for your advice, I am gonna submit it!

With there being no character or word limit, is 500 words for each essay a good number?

With there being no character or word limit, is 500 words for each essay a good number?
M2 here, went back and looked at my secondaries to help give an idea. My longest essay was 294 words, but my questions were also a little different than yours so it isn't a direct comparison. My experiences may also be very different to yours.

If I were in your shoes, I would look at my essays and assess whether I have answered the prompt completely and succinctly. If you need 500 words to answer them based on your experiences, then use 500.

My completion date was 7/13. LM 61.5. Non-trad with lots of clinical hours and volunteering.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
My completion date was 7/13. LM 61.5. Non-trad with lots of clinical hours and volunteering.
Congrats! It's my top school, so I'm being a bit neurotic about this one haha. Best of luck in your interview!

Last edited: