2023-2024 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In terms of the curriculum and the actual school I think it's great and pretty much aligns with almost everything that I want in a medical school.
The only issues for me are: The tuition is 3x every Texas school I interviewed at (heard they leverage tuition though), it's in a little bit of a desolate location, and I don't deal very well with cold weather, and I have done 5 years of pretty involved research and I think that there are not very many opportunities for non-engineering research here - I am honestly not entirely sure. One of my good buddies goes here and I was hoping to wait till all of my decisions come in and have an in depth conversation with him as well as a student from the schools I get into (god willing).
I have the same number of interviews and 1 A so far too haha. Do follow up if your friend gives you any good info.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
same, really tired of waiting (and having no acceptances currently)
Same here, I had one other interview and that turned into a waitlist. Carle may be my only shot.

• Care
Anyone hear anything from admissions about today or tomorrow being the day?

Anyone hear anything from admissions about today or tomorrow being the day?
The dean, Mark Cohen, came to my school to give a seminar about Carle. I asked him when the next round of decisions would come out and he said in "2 to 3 weeks"

If anyone's curious to know, he did give some statistics about the application process to Carle.

3000 Applicants
1300 Get Secondaries (only 1300 pass the competency checklist)
750 Completed Secondaries
350 Showcase Invites
120-140 Admissions Offers
64 Matriculants

Reactions: 6 users
If anyone's curious to know, he did give some statistics about the application process to Carle.

3000 Applicants
350 Showcase Invites
64 Matriculants
Wow thanks for this info

The dean, Mark Cohen, came to my school to give a seminar about Carle. I asked him when the next round of decisions would come out and he said in "2 to 3 weeks"

Very interesting, which school do you go to?

I go to the University of Michigan. It has a large engineering school and a fairly big biomedical engineering department, which is probably why he came here to give a seminar. He said that around 2-3 students from Umich attend Carle each year so I hope I'm one of them.

if you dont mind me asking when was this seminar?

Members don't see this ad :)

3000 Applicants
350 Showcase Invites
64 Matriculants

Kinda wild that the showcase invite says the we’re in the top 10% when almost half of those who complete secondaries get invited for showcase. I guess the number makes sense compared to overall applicants though

FYI there's now an unofficial GroupMe for Carle Illinois Class of 2028 accepted applicants with 36 members as of now

moderator: removed public link to the GroupMe, contact @Curlywhirly1

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not accepted, I just want to go in and ask questions. I also want to try out what it feels like to be admitted.
lmao I think accepted student group chats are closed off to people who haven't gotten in (like us :()

Reactions: 2 users
Since he said last Thursday that the next round of decisions would come out in "2-3 weeks", I think we should hear back on either Wednesday 2/14, or 2/21. Most of last year's decisions were released on Wednesday 2/22/2023 and some of this year's decisions were also given on a Wednesday. This means that there is an existing chance that a Carle acceptance will be my Valentine's date.

Reactions: 3 users
Since he said last Thursday that the next round of decisions would come out in "2-3 weeks", I think we should hear back on either Wednesday 2/14, or 2/21. Most of last year's decisions were released on Wednesday 2/22/2023 and some of this year's decisions were also given on a Wednesday. This means that there is an existing chance that a Carle acceptance will be my Valentine's date.
Were last year’s decisions acceptances and rejections in one batch?

Were last year’s decisions acceptances and rejections in one batch?
Last year's decisions came out in 2 small acceptance batches in January and a huge batch of acceptances, waitlists, and rejections on Wednesday, February 22nd. There were some decisions released in mid and late March.

Last year's decisions came out in 2 small acceptance batches in January and a huge batch of acceptances, waitlists, and rejections on Wednesday, February 22nd. There were some decisions released in mid and late March.

I think only A and WL were out 02/22 last year and I got the R on 03/22 last year. Few As and WLs came out in between those dates

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 382262
Every morning when I wake up I think of him, every time I check my email I think of him, every time I go to sleep I lay awake thinking of him.

Please notice me Carle, we are perfect for eachother
I want to go to Carle to learn more engineering so I can become the next Jimmy Neutron.

Mrw GIF

The pain of an R from Carle….broskis, I’ve had too many. I need my A…..

• Care
Another day....thinking of Carle....

Still Waiting Office Tv GIF by The Office

I love just scrolling through GIFs, don't mind me y'all

I emailed the admissions team asking when the next round of decisions would be released. They responded an hour ago saying "This cycle we completed our finalist review sooner, so we were able to do a large batch of decisions in January. Our next batch of decisions will be sometime this month but beyond that, it will be dependent on withdrawals from accepted applicants. The number of applicants who withdraw after receiving offers has varied considerably from year to year so we cannot predict how many offers might still be given.".

Given this message, it's unlikely that we will hear back this week, but we will most likely be hearing back either next week or the week after.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
The irony is that Frieza survives this spirit bomb lmao. I will still focus my energy on my admissions decision.
I don't know what's going on. All I know is Naruto died and the Detroit Pistons suck

If that confused anyone, I'm just joking....but not about the Pistons

This is no joke me....Feb 21st, I'm calling it
Yeah, I agree that we are most likely going to hear back on February 21st since they are kind of following last year's dates. I'm going to make a bold call and predict that the decisions will be released at 2:30 pm EST on 2/21/24 since that's when decisions were released on January 17th.

Yeah, I agree that we are most likely going to hear back on February 21st since they are kind of following last year's dates. I'm going to make a bold call and predict that the decisions will be released at 2:30 pm EST on 2/21/24 since that's when decisions were released on January 17th.

Makes sense since cyms opens on 2/20 and they might use that to determine how many more As to give out

Makes sense since cyms opens on 2/20 and they might use that to determine how many more As to give out
Ooooo, next level strategy here

Carle really does have that innovative mindset with everything
Happy France GIF by Paris Saint-Germain

I just realized why Dr. Mark Cohen's (current dean of Carle) name seemed so familiar to me lmao. In my Intro to BME class back in 2020, each project team had a physician client and our's just so happened to be Dr. Cohen (he used to be a professor and physician at Umich). He probably doesn't remember me unfortunately since I met him only twice years ago over Zoom.

I just realized why Dr. Mark Cohen's (current dean of Carle) name seemed so familiar to me lmao. In my Intro to BME class back in 2020, each project team had a physician client and our's just so happened to be Dr. Cohen (he used to be a professor and physician at Umich). He probably doesn't remember me unfortunately since I met him only twice years ago over Zoom.

He also has the same name as a character from Rent!

Based on the SDN forum last year, some of us might hear something on Wednesday.The biggest wave of R’s and WL’s from Carle came in mid-March in 2021 and 2022.

From what I found, there were only 3 A’s on SDN in January last year and 8 A's in February. There have been 10 posters with A’s already in January this year. In the past years about one in 5 or 6 applicants seem to have posted on SDN, based on the 120–140 offers by Carle. Given there are also 36 A’s on GroupMe I wouldn’t be surprised if 64 or almost 64 initial offers have already been made, but this is speculation. Maybe some R's and WL's will come on Feb 21st, again though speculation.

There is some hope in that about 60% of the A’s on SDN came in March or later from past years. Though whether that figure remains steady in future years is anyone’s guess.

Here’s a summary of what I could find on previous years (I focused on A’s so only some of the reported Rs/WLs are listed):

2021 (48 seats)
Dec 16, 2020 – A×2; Feb 17, 2021 – A×1; Feb 26, 2021 – A×3; Mar 17, 2021 – WL×10, R×11; Apr 2, 2021 – A×5; May 3, 2021 – A×1; May 17, 2021 – A×2; May 18, 2021 – A×1

2022 (64 seats)
Jan 19, 2022 – A×8; Jan 27, 2022 – R×3; Jan 28, 2022 – A×1; Feb 9, 2022 – A×1; Feb 17, 2022 – R×2; Mar 9, 2022 – A×6, WL×8, R×1; Apr 1, 2022 – A×3; Apr 20, 2022 – A×1; Apr 29, 2022 – A×1; May 2, 2022 – A×4; May 4, 2022 – A×1

2023 (64 seats)
Jan 18, 2023 – A×2; Jan 27, 2023 – A×1; Feb 22, 2023 – A×8, WL×6, R×3; Mar 3, 2023 – WL×1; Mar 10, 2023 – A×1; Mar 13, 2023 – WL×3; Apr 19, 2023 – A×6; Apr 28, 2023 – A×1; May 2, 2023 – A×2; May 4, 2023 – A×1; May 7, 2023 – A×1; May 16, 2023 – A×1; May 22, 2023 – A×1

2024 (64 seats)
Jan 17, 2023 – A×10, R×2;

Reactions: 3 users
Based on the SDN forum last year, some of us might hear something on Wednesday.The biggest wave of R’s and WL’s from Carle came in mid-March in 2021 and 2022.

From what I found, there were only 3 A’s on SDN in January last year and 8 A's in February. There have been 10 posters with A’s already in January this year. In the past years about one in 5 or 6 applicants seem to have posted on SDN, based on the 120–140 offers by Carle. Given there are also 36 A’s on GroupMe I wouldn’t be surprised if 64 or almost 64 initial offers have already been made, but this is speculation. Maybe some R's and WL's will come on Feb 21st, again though speculation.

There is some hope in that about 60% of the A’s on SDN came in March or later from past years. Though whether that figure remains steady in future years is anyone’s guess.

Here’s a summary of what I could find on previous years (I focused on A’s so only some of the reported Rs/WLs are listed):

2021 (48 seats)
Dec 16, 2020 – A×2; Feb 17, 2021 – A×1; Feb 26, 2021 – A×3; Mar 17, 2021 – WL×10, R×11; Apr 2, 2021 – A×5; May 3, 2021 – A×1; May 17, 2021 – A×2; May 18, 2021 – A×1

2022 (64 seats)
Jan 19, 2022 – A×8; Jan 27, 2022 – R×3; Jan 28, 2022 – A×1; Feb 9, 2022 – A×1; Feb 17, 2022 – R×2; Mar 9, 2022 – A×6, WL×8, R×1; Apr 1, 2022 – A×3; Apr 20, 2022 – A×1; Apr 29, 2022 – A×1; May 2, 2022 – A×4; May 4, 2022 – A×1

2023 (64 seats)
Jan 18, 2023 – A×2; Jan 27, 2023 – A×1; Feb 22, 2023 – A×8, WL×6, R×3; Mar 3, 2023 – WL×1; Mar 10, 2023 – A×1; Mar 13, 2023 – WL×3; Apr 19, 2023 – A×6; Apr 28, 2023 – A×1; May 2, 2023 – A×2; May 4, 2023 – A×1; May 7, 2023 – A×1; May 16, 2023 – A×1; May 22, 2023 – A×1

2024 (64 seats)
Jan 17, 2023 – A×10, R×2;

Thanks for putting this together! They still do things differently every year (other than initial batch in Jan) so it’s hard to say what’s going to happen.

Based on rhoskir’s phone call too I agree it seems like a good amount of As have already been giving out and the upcoming batch will be less As and more WLs. I hope I’m wrong tho! So

Given there are also 36 A’s on GroupMe I wouldn’t be surprised if 64 or almost 64 initial offers have already been made, but this is speculation. Maybe some R's and WL's will come on Feb 21st, again though speculation.
52 in GroupMe now

idk if anyone said this already but is there a typical time it comes out? tweaking rn

Sorry I haven''t been paying attention to this thread : do we think decisions are coming out today?

It is complete speculation. 2 weeks ago the dean mentioned "Some decisions will be sent out in 2 weeks," and it seems that today is the day they will send out decisions based on the pattern of previous years.

But don't hold your breath, it's all just guesswork and pattern extrapolation.
Sorry I haven''t been paying attention to this thread : do we think decisions are coming out today?
Based on previous years, decisions came out on Wednesdays, and this week in February. In addition, Dr. Mark Cohen (Dean of Carle) came to my school to give a seminar about Carle on February 1st. I asked him when the next round of decisions would come out and he said "In 2-3 weeks". This week is 3 weeks after he said that.

So it's all essentially an educated guess as asparagus_liker mentioned.

someone speculated ~1:30 CST today since that's when they sent out decisions in January this cycle
Haha that was me, but this time is based on only 1 data point so it's only a wild guess. There's no way to know what time decisions will come out today (if it even is today).

Is it a call, email, or just portal update if anyone knows?

Pretty sure it’s an email that asks you to check your portal so you don’t know right away what it is

Status update email just now, WL

Got the post-showcase R last year so that’s an improvement LOL

Post showcase R, not surprised as I butchered my virtual interview

• Sad