TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey good luck to you both with the waitlist. I can somewhat empathize with the whole waiting to find out thing... I mean, I'm still waiting for a response... and it's supposed to come tomorrow.:scared:

When did you interview, chup?

Members don't see this ad.

hey i just wanted to let everyone know that i got into NYCOM....so i'll be booting myself off the high waitlist at Touro!!

good luck to all!!

I have an interview w/ TouroCOM on the 21st of April. I know, this gets late in the year but I applied late because of some unfortunate events that occurred outside of my control. Does anyone have any advice for me in preparing for this interview? I want to do the best I can to prepare for this because TouroCOM is my top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview, chup?

I interviewed on the 18th of March. They said that it'd be two weeks until I heard from them, and so April 1rst would technically be two weeks... ::SIGH:: I'm nervous!!!! :scared:

I have an interview w/ TouroCOM on the 21st of April. I know, this gets late in the year but I applied late because of some unfortunate events that occurred outside of my control. Does anyone have any advice for me in preparing for this interview? I want to do the best I can to prepare for this because TouroCOM is my top choice.

Personally, I think you should come in with something intelligent to say about what you know and don't know about Osteopathic medicine. I spoke with an assistant dean and a professor of histo-path at the school. Also understand the mission of the school. It'll show that you have a reason for putting Touro as #1 on your list. And then of course bring your great personality and articulate your thoughts well without being too confrontational... That's my opinion. GOOD LUCK!!!

hey i just wanted to let everyone know that i got into NYCOM....so i'll be booting myself off the high waitlist at Touro!!

good luck to all!!

Thanks Turtle! I, and I'm sure many of us, appreciate the update... gives us all a bit more hope for TouroCOM.

I interviewed on the 18th of March. They said that it'd be two weeks until I heard from them, and so April 1rst would technically be two weeks... ::SIGH:: I'm nervous!!!! :scared:

Man.....I interviewed last Wednesday, the 25th. I've read that some people found out in one week, but I guess I get to keep waiting. I'm terribly nervous. This process is exhausting.

How was the interview? Keep us updated!

The interview went well. I really loved the school, and the city is amazing. It would be such a neat place to learn medicine. If I get accepted, I will post on here immediately. I've been dying to do that for a while. haha

So it's been two weeks since our interview on the 18th of March. I was wondering if anyone has heard about acceptances, high wait lists, or "other news" from the school today.

hey chup, i've been checking as well to see what's up with you guys, I interviewed on the 18th as well, but no news today

They usually say 2 weeks but more often then not they are off by a day or two if they are backed up; so don't worry if you don't hear back until Friday.

Happened to everyone who interviewed on the same day as me...they called us 2 days after the 2 weeks were up; they also started calling after 4:30 pm.

Thanks ejay. It's good to know this, but I can't say that it's helping my anxiety! Well, nothing else to do but wait!:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
just letting you know I got an email with a wait list, good luck guys

So I got placed on the (high) wait list. ERGH! So I guess that means I get to wait and sit on pins and needles for that much longer... Does anyone know what it means to be a candidate for Early Accept to the class of 2014? Does that mean I have to spend more money to re-apply to their school? or does that mean I'm in their class of 2014 at the very least? Information about this would truly help... Also, does anyone have information about waitlist movements thus far? I know it's been great for us wait-listers in the past two years, but I was wondering how it's been going recently, and when we'd start hearing about any movements. Thanks And congrats to those who did get accepted, I'm happy for you and utterly jealous :p.

At least you're on the HIGH Wait list. I'm stuck on the MED :(

I read that those in the HIGH usually get accepted into the school.

So I got placed on the (high) wait list. ERGH! So I guess that means I get to wait and sit on pins and needles for that much longer... Does anyone know what it means to be a candidate for Early Accept to the class of 2014? Does that mean I have to spend more money to re-apply to their school? or does that mean I'm in their class of 2014 at the very least? Information about this would truly help... Also, does anyone have information about waitlist movements thus far? I know it's been great for us wait-listers in the past two years, but I was wondering how it's been going recently, and when we'd start hearing about any movements. Thanks And congrats to those who did get accepted, I'm happy for you and utterly jealous :p.

Hi chup. I'm in the same boat as you and have the same questions. If you hear anything please post it! This waiting is killing me. I remember Obed said something about assigning numbers. Does this mean they re-evaluate all the wait listers once everyone has interviewed/decided and then assign numbers? Or has the wait list already made some movement? Congrats to those who are in and good luck to those who are waiting! I hope I'm accepted for this fall and can meet you all!!

At least you're on the HIGH Wait list. I'm stuck on the MED :(

I read that those in the HIGH usually get accepted into the school.

Hey rca,
I'm so sorry about your waitlist situation. Did you interview on the 18th as well? I hope that you get pulled off the list. What I intend to do is send a letter of intent in hopes of making me appear more willing to go to that school. Maybe you could do the same and it might bump you up on the wait list you're on. I also hope you've already gained acceptance from other schools, because having a choice is always great! Good luck, truly!

Also, if you did interview on the 18th, which one were you? As you can see in my picture, I was one of the two asian kids in the group...

Where are all the acceptance postings? I thought this board would be lit-up with excitement today.

So far I don't think the waitlist has moved at all. It will start moving after May 15th because that is the last day for all students to notify a school if they are attending or not; so on May 15th the school will know how many spots it has left in their class and how many students it can pull off the waitlist.

As far assigning numbers goes, maybe they first categorize everyone as High, Medium, or Low Waitlist, based on a set criteria. Then after they stop interviewing they assign numbers/ranks to students in each of the categories; when spaces in the class start opening up they start going down the list and pulling kids off the waitlist.

I just withdrew, I hope my spot goes to one of you guys. Sorry it took me so long to do, I just wanted to be 5000% certain before giving up the spot. Best of luck to everyone still waiting. :luck:

I just withdrew, I hope my spot goes to one of you guys. Sorry it took me so long to do, I just wanted to be 5000% certain before giving up the spot. Best of luck to everyone still waiting. :luck:

Hey, it's better late than never! Thanks for the heads-up and congratulations on your school of choice! You're on your way to becoming a doctor!

for all those medium waitlisters out there, I just wanted to say there is still hope.

call Mr. Obed up and address your weaknesses and make sure you stay positive despite the fact this application cycle is winding down. I was waitlisted (medium) as well, but in this case you have to be persistent no matter the circumstances.

So I just spoke with Obed Figueroa and I had asked him if he could give me a ball park figure of how many spots were left that had not been given deposits for and he had informed me that 17 spots remained unfilled and without deposits. This kind of comes as ominous news, considering there could be anywhere from 10 to 50 people on the high waitlist. And since he didn't have the number of high waitlist people in front of him, he couldn't tell me what the odds are for those of us who are on the high waitlist.

Also for those of you who are confused about the Early Accept Program, Obed informed me that the dean will review applications from the high wait list one more time and then decide whether or not to give you an acceptance to the next matriculating class. I thought it was just another chance to go through the whole application thing without paying or interviewing, but actually, it's (for those who are chosen) an automatic seat in the next class. Hope this helps. Good luck to all of you.

So I just spoke with Obed Figueroa and I had asked him if he could give me a ball park figure of how many spots were left that had not been given deposits for and he had informed me that 17 spots remained unfilled and without deposits. This kind of comes as ominous news, considering there could be anywhere from 10 to 50 people on the high waitlist. And since he didn't have the number of high waitlist people in front of him, he couldn't tell me what the odds are for those of us who are on the high waitlist.

Also for those of you who are confused about the Early Accept Program, Obed informed me that the dean will review applications from the high wait list one more time and then decide whether or not to give you an acceptance to the next matriculating class. I thought it was just another chance to go through the whole application thing without paying or interviewing, but actually, it's (for those who are chosen) an automatic seat in the next class. Hope this helps. Good luck to all of you.

Hold Tight Chup,
Like I said everyone made it off the high waitlist last year and they where into the medium list when school started. I know things are a bit tighter this year but I would be surprised if it didn't work out for you. Stay positive, the road is long even after you get in :p

Oh man i havent even gone into my interview yet, mine is on the 21st. Sounds pretty discouraging now. I feel like i wont stand a chance =/

Oh man i havent even gone into my interview yet, mine is on the 21st. Sounds pretty discouraging now. I feel like i wont stand a chance =/

If it makes you feel better, they're still giving out acceptances to the matriculating class. So you could be one of them! Being on the waitlist just means that they're probably looking at everyone before they make their final choice... That's how I look at it... It's not over yet. Just give them the best side of you when you interview and hope for the best. Good luck.

I withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to those waiting!

I just got accepted...I got the missed phone call message and email yesterday from Mr. Obed F. I interviewed on the 25th of March. I actually got a call from touro a week later (post interview), but i screen my calls, didn't receive a message and ignored the call.

I wanted to know of those of you who have already been accepted, what considerations you have made for living arrangements. I am from NC and really don't want to break the bank on rent.

Thanks!

I just got accepted...I got the missed phone call message and email yesterday from Mr. Obed F. I interviewed on the 25th of March. I actually got a call from touro a week later (post interview), but i screen my calls, didn't receive a message and ignored the call.

I wanted to know of those of you who have already been accepted, what considerations you have made for living arrangements.

Thanks!

Congrats!!

I've punted around on craigslilst and spoken to a broker/realtor from a list provided by the school (after paying the first deposit) but haven't yet found a place. My wife and I plan to visit in May and do a focused search for a place then. Feel free to PM me with any Q's/thoughts.

Congrats Eventually Med! If you can PM me and fill me in on the interview questions they asked u and any tips/hints, I'd greatly appreciate it. And for all of those on waitlist or still waiting for a response post-interview, there are 11 seats available, but obed said the number changes everyday, depending on your peers. I havent even interviewed yet until the 21st :(

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knew how to properly contact TouroCOM to inform them of an update of my extracurricular activities. I recently found out that I had a publication submission of mine gain acceptance to a journal and I'm the 1rst author! I just need to know who to contact and how to format this information. Thanks for your help! And congratulations on those who were recently accepted. Man, I wish I were you guys!!!

I would just send Obed your updated resume or CV with the new publication in it. In the e-mail you can tell him what parts of your resume/CV were updated so he knows what to look at specifically and he'll add it to your file.

Congrats on getting published!

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knew how to properly contact TouroCOM to inform them of an update of my extracurricular activities. I recently found out that I had a publication submission of mine gain acceptance to a journal and I'm the 1rst author! I just need to know who to contact and how to format this information. Thanks for your help! And congratulations on those who were recently accepted. Man, I wish I were you guys!!!

Congrats on the pub, Chup! Seems like you've timed that perfectly...

HEy Guys!

I am sorry dtm for the late response. I am in grad school for biology and TA like 4 biology labs. It was the week to turn in grades and I was sooo behind.

I will tell you from what I have gathered that acceptance seems to be based on the interview and how the interview relates to your application packet when the interviewers finally sit down to look at it. I never veered off of what was already mentioned in my application when I interviewd.

Q1- Why do you want to become a doctor (understand that allo or osteo your still serving the same purpose..my interview happened to be an allo physician...and so is my dad so i did not try to upplay osteo medicine even though I totally relate to its practice.
Q2-compare allo and osteo (of course this was because I brought up my dad being a physician - he graduated from UNC-CH and I actuallly interviewed there too)
Q3- WHy osteo?...in this question I actually had gone through a summer program that introduced me to osteo medicine when we visited an osteo school in WV.
Q4 - What do you think about health disparities? and in harlem. I know about health disparities and I know that without access you can be the richest area in the world and still have disparities. I am from NC so much of my experiences were rural...I didn't pretend, I explained what I knew and when I didn't know I told them.
Q5-do you have questions for us....don't create questions b/c obed specifically told us not to ask curriculum questions to your interviewers just ask teh med student...which i did, I asked my med student tour guide a million questions.....what I did ask was how she would have answered one the questions I had been asked and felt unsure of. THat might not have been a good idea but I was interested her response and we had a small discussion about it.

BE yourself...please do you not try to over play osteo. The point is we all want to get into med school, osteo or allo, I have applied and intervewed to both kinds of institutions and actually feel I may be accepted to ECU's Brody school of MEd in NC based on the emails I've been receiving from admissions and their minority recruitment program. REgardless of ECU, I respect the theory behind osteo medicine because I have family members that have provided me with experiences substantiating osteo medicine. I know that I want to eventually be close to my family in NC when I start having kids and a family but I still want to explore teh world. So Tourcom NY sounded like the perfect opportunity.

p.s- if anyone asks you about not getting in what will you do..always always say you will find out why and try again!!!! I was asked that at UNC-CH, ECU, and a couple other DO schools!

hope this helps..feel free ask anymore questions if you have any

Last edited:
Thanks Marathondude, for the advice.

Thanks Marathondude, for the advice. :)

anyone thinking of doing HPSP?

Hey all,
I have been following this forum for some time now and decided to finally get into the mix. I am also on high-waitlist and absolutely hate the waiting process. Good luck to all of you

I was thinking about it. However, I'm not toooo sure about being in the service. Footing the bill is the most attractive aspect for me. It seems that if that's the main reason, it probably isn't for you. Although I'm not sure if that's true. It just seems to be reiterated across a lot of venues.

Hi ejay. I'm actually going to TOUROCOM NY this fall and i'm doing Army HPSP. it was a personal decision for me because all my life, i really wanted to serve while also making a great living for myself. I thought to myself, what better way to serve than to provide medical service to soldiers and their families for a while? believe me, i've researched this thick and thin and there are things you must be aware of. I recently got commissioned so if there are any questions you have about the process or the pros/cons of it all, let me know.

Here's what I've been hearing from higher ups as well as many recruiters:

for those worried about extended deployments, specialized docs and surgeons currently can only get max deployment for 6 months due to keeping up with training requirements. By the time we exit residency and become eligible for deployment, all medical docs will have that max deployment of 6 months at a time, not a 12-15 month deployment.

Stipends will continuously go up, signing bonus is a perk, and i've talked to various military docs who loved their experience. they feel they get the best training. bottom line is don't do it for the money. you'll make good money either way so if you're not a stickler for making the most money you can possibly make, and you feel like this will add a great mark of experience in your life when you look back on it, DEFINITELY sign up for it. good luck!

Anyone who interviewed on 4/7th hear back yet? I know we should give it two weeks + a day or two - but just wondering if others in my group are in the same boat...?

... I know at least two of you guys who interviewed that day are sdn-ers...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they're done interviewing? When do you think the wait list will start to move? I'm so nervous.. this waiting is making me nuts! lol

Anyone who interviewed on 4/7th hear back yet? I know we should give it two weeks + a day or two - but just wondering if others in my group are in the same boat...?

... I know at least two of you guys who interviewed that day are sdn-ers...

I interviewed that week and got accepted yesterday.

Does anyone know if they're done interviewing? When do you think the wait list will start to move? I'm so nervous.. this waiting is making me nuts! lol

I believe the waitlist won't start moving until May 15th. That is the deadline for all accepted students to send in their deposits...3 more weeks. Though there is a slight chance of it moving sooner if it has less than 135 deposit paid acceptances before that date.

I believe the waitlist won't start moving until May 15th. That is the deadline for all accepted students to send in their deposits...3 more weeks. Though there is a slight chance of it moving sooner if it has less than 135 deposit paid acceptances before that date.

Thanks! :xf:

high waitlist... i think i read on here that they are expecting 3/4ths of the high waitlist to get in even though last two years they have gone into the medium waitlists... has anyone heard confirmation of that from obed?

Status
Not open for further replies.