2023-2024 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where II 🧐🧐🧐
They took their sweet time on secondaries so I wouldn’t be surprised if they did the same with IIs lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS II received, complete 8/2. 3 dates available in September and 7 in October

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II recieved! completed 8/4

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
If you could give yourself a nickname, what would it be?
I dont remember but I know I put something real dumb and cringe— I refuse to go back and read the garbage I wrote for my secondaries for the sake of my mental health and self-image

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I dont remember but I know I put something real dumb and cringe— I refuse to go back and read the garbage I wrote for my secondaries for the sake of my mental health and self-image

Haha must’ve been pretty good to get you an II, but I get that

Members don't see this ad :)
LM 67.7... Secondary Acknowledgment was on 8/2... I was invited for the secondary on 8/1

• Love
OOS II. LM 72-73, Completed 8/1.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS II. LM 72. URM. super excited :D sent 3 pm EST

Last edited:
  • Love
My first II :))))) I went camping yesterday, had no service and finally was able to check my email. I'll cry

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Could I get opinions on my idea for question 4 (Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved.) I was thinking of writing about not qualifying for ncaa d3 nationals - I trained really hard to drop time and only had to drop half a second to qualify (I was spot 21, 20 qualify) going into our conference meet. I got performance anxiety and ended up adding time, but given my training, I felt like I "deserved" to qualify. Idk if this would be the best response though given it was myself that prevented me from getting what i felt like i deserved or if it would seem like a diss to other athletes who probably put in lots of training as well

Reactions: 1 user
Could I get opinions on my idea for question 4 (Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved.) I was thinking of writing about not qualifying for ncaa d3 nationals - I trained really hard to drop time and only had to drop half a second to qualify (I was spot 21, 20 qualify) going into our conference meet. I got performance anxiety and ended up adding time, but given my training, I felt like I "deserved" to qualify. Idk if this would be the best response though given it was myself that prevented me from getting what i felt like i deserved or if it would seem like a diss to other athletes who probably put in lots of training as well
I think it would be best to have a clear takeaway in mind—the danger of this prompt is coming off "whiny". 65 words makes it really hard to do this though. I think your story is a good starting point, but having some sort of lesson is necessary imo. If it helps, I wrote about how I was shocked when a conventional piece won over my more creative (in my eyes) submission. I then ended it with something vague about how everyone has their own unique view and reaction, and acknowledging that these diverse perspectives exist is important (or something vague like that).

I think it would be best to have a clear takeaway in mind—the danger of this prompt is coming off "whiny". 65 words makes it really hard to do this though. I think your story is a good starting point, but having some sort of lesson is necessary imo. If it helps, I wrote about how I was shocked when a conventional piece won over my more creative (in my eyes) submission. I then ended it with something vague about how everyone has their own unique view and reaction, and acknowledging that these diverse perspectives exist is important (or something vague like that).
Thanks, that makes sense! I was thinking of spinning it into how I've started to measure success in other ways (when I historically measured it as only dropping time which contributed to my anxiety) and implementing technique fixes to become a better athlete. Obviously will be difficult within 65 words, but do you think that would be a good takeaway if I can fit it in the limit?

The way I finished this secondary and paid the fee on 8/15 but just opened up my portal and I never actually pressed submit 🥲

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I wrote why Keck and got an interview, I would try not to stress
dumb that i find this out now --- how annoying
Eh I wouldn't put too much weight on it. If they really hated it that much they would tell you not to write about it IMO or narrow down the focus of the question to things they were specifically looking for in the additional essay.

Eh I wouldn't put too much weight on it. If they really hated it that much they would tell you not to write about it IMO or narrow down the focus of the question to things they were specifically looking for in the additional essay.
i will just never understand these optional essays if there are certain things they don't want to see in writing lmfao

No II's since early-mid September? I guess we should get another wave soon

• Hmm
Hi! For those of you who have had an interview already how was it?
I had a good time. My interviewers were very nice and easygoing and had questions they needed to go through but would then tangent off of them towards a more of a conversational style. Also it seemed like the faculty interviewer pairing was purposefully with someone we could connect with (i.e. where we were from, specialties of interest, etc.) but that might've just been a one off coincidence for me

I had a good time. My interviewers were very nice and easygoing and had questions they needed to go through but would then tangent off of them towards a more of a conversational style. Also it seemed like the faculty interviewer pairing was purposefully with someone we could connect with (i.e. where we were from, specialties of interest, etc.) but that might've just been a one off coincidence for me
when did u submit secondary and receive an II?

they interviewed 580 students last year and I believe class size is about 180?

Hi! For those of you who have had an interview already how was it?
agree with crispr. the welcome session with dean arias was genuinely really enjoyable, she seems like a great and fun person. i think the sdn interview feedback is spot on

Any updates? It seems like it's been a minute since they last sent out IIs

• Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Not sure if someone has already offered, but I am a current MS1 at Keck and I would be happy to answer some questions.

You can also DM me.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know whether they track attendance on the zoom student q/a and if we need to dress at all?

Anyone know whether they track attendance on the zoom student q/a and if we need to dress at all?
This is the post interview student q/a right?

I didn't attend mine and still got in, so I doubt they track attendance. Most of the time it's casual especially with students so I wouldn't worry about your attire. Plus you could just leave your camera off and say you are in lab lol they won't care.

• Love
Wish there was a way to know if they liked us post-II… and before any decisions come out 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users