2023-2024 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is it true that Keck dosent recommend that we use the optional essay as "why us"?
Seriously? I just submitted a couple hours ago with a "why us"...

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Probably has to do with their strict requirement of only having a max of 3 letters so they are checking to make sure people don’t send extras.
I didn't realize they only took 3, i sent 4...any idea on what to do here? is that like a big red flag?

Members don't see this ad :)
What happens when you send them more than three letters?

Yup. Same issue as well. Pending LORs before application is considered complete.
FYI: I submitted my app last night with the same status. At 3AM I got an email saying my app was complete, and when I logged in my letter status was green. Also, on autopilot, I sent 4 letters instead of 3, and they still marked me as complete. No indication of which 3 they're gonna pick :)

for the question about belonging to a group under-represented in medicine, would LGBTQ+ be considered under-represented?

Reactions: 1 users
love these questions, very refreshing

Is there anyone who goes to Keck on this thread? I really wanna know whether this should be like a funny/creative vibe or whether they want us to keep it normal secondary info...also I was 100% planning on writing the additional info on why I want to go to USC, is that bad? What do I even do instead?

Is there anyone who goes to Keck on this thread? I really wanna know whether this should be like a funny/creative vibe or whether they want us to keep it normal secondary info...also I was 100% planning on writing the additional info on why I want to go to USC, is that bad? What do I even do instead?
i put my gap year plans. i’ve heard from multiple people that they don’t want a why us

• Wow
see if he has any sort of connection to a dean, particularly the dean of admissions! a letter from a usc alumni certainly won't hurt but the most impactful people in the process are the people directly on adcoms and the deans.
Unfortunately, he doesn't have any connections with the dean. His connections consist of USC medical school professors and faculty that he keeps in contact with for clinical care. He IS very proud of being an USC alumni, though. I guess I'll take him up on his offer, but I don't expect it will do much.

me scratching my head trying to figure out when I last had fun

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone having issues with the $100 fee? I followed the instructions and got a confirmation of my payment, but my status hasn't updated in a day and still says it's incomplete. I emailed the admissions email yesterday, but all I got back was an automated email :(

I didn't realize they only took 3, i sent 4...any idea on what to do here? is that like a big red flag?
I attended a seminar with Dr. Arias (Associate Dean, Admissions for Keck) and she said she doesn't like when applicants send in more than 3. She joked she would toss the app, but I'm pretty sure she was just trying to scare us.

• Hmm
Has anyone else not gotten a secondary? I know they don’t screen but it seems like everyone has already gotten their secondary

for the three things you dont care about question, are you guys doing bullet points with breif explnations, or are you guys just listing them in one combined paragraph?

for the three things you dont care about question, are you guys doing bullet points with breif explnations, or are you guys just listing them in one combined paragraph?
Did bullet points

Help stuck on 2 really bad, like, this might break me lol

Easy just put down "brazzimamma" :highfive:
Wow. U might be onto something lmao And i just looked up if brazzi means anything besides what I originally intended it to and it does and it works and I lowkey love u thanks

• Haha
What are you guys using for the additional info essay if they do not like, "Why us?" essays. Anyone doing a diversity?

What are you guys using for the additional info essay if they do not like, "Why us?" essays. Anyone doing a diversity?
I still do not believe that they don't like a "why us" essay. Unless anyone on adcom wants to chime in, that advise sounds like sabotage.

I still do not believe that they don't like a "why us" essay. Unless anyone on adcom wants to chime in, that advise sounds like sabotage.
I mean at the end of the day you should take all advice with a grain of salt? It's your app, if you think a why us essay is the best foot you wanna put forward then do it.

I left it blank

This is why tbh

As someone who interviewed at Keck last year, I would strongly advise that no one writes a "why Keck?" response. Dean Arias specifically talked to us at the interview about how much she hates that question, and that she knows the real answer is "it's a large research institution in Los Angeles with great weather outside".

Last edited:
I attended a seminar with Dr. Arias (Associate Dean, Admissions for Keck) and she said she doesn't like when applicants send in more than 3. She joked she would toss the app, but I'm pretty sure she was just trying to scare us.
also this from MSAR: "Alternatively, 2 or 3 letters from professors, PI's or work experience are acceptable. If sending individual letters, do NOT send more than 3 individual letters!! " the exclamation points scared me lol

Would it be worth emailing them if I haven’t gotten a secondary yet? I know they don’t screen and it’s only been a week since they started sending them out, I’m just feeling really neurotic rn 😅

Would it be worth emailing them if I haven’t gotten a secondary yet? I know they don’t screen and it’s only been a week since they started sending them out, I’m just feeling really neurotic rn 😅
You answered your own question : it’s only been a week since they started sending them out,

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Does Keck consider LGBT an URM? I don't have any real involvement with the community beyond experiences seeking care but mainly because my parents are super-conservative.

This was my favorite secondary to write... hopefully I get an interview so I can share my creative responses

Does Keck consider LGBT an URM? I don't have any real involvement with the community beyond experiences seeking care but mainly because my parents are super-conservative.
not sure but definitely worth writing about in the anything else!

I just use the additional information to specify which ones to use since I accidentally sent 5.

bullet points, and mine were quite humorous answers

For the URM question would it be fine to put Latino or should I specify Mexican?

for the letters, "Alternatively, 2 or 3 letters from professors, PI’s or work experience are acceptable." Can i put 2 doctors and a boss i had when I was a residential advisor? does that meet this criteria the work experience kinda threw me off

Just wanted to heads-up that I was unable to upload a photo through Chrome, but worked fine when I switched to Safari!

Overly picky question--when the URM question asks "how under-representation affect your community," is "your community" talking about the generalized URM community you belong to, or YOUR local URM community/the people you interface with in daily life?

Overly picky question--when the URM question asks "how under-representation affect your community," is "your community" talking about the generalized URM community you belong to, or YOUR local URM community/the people you interface with in daily life?
I'd say more of the community/people you've interacted with-- so if you identify as X, it's be ok to talk about the circumstances you've seen experienced by the general X community around you (where you grew up, how you were raised, ideals/beliefs embedded within X community that may have been harmful), a friend or family member's experience that you know of first-hand, or your own experience as part of X community. That's how I approached it, if that makes sense? lol

• Love
Does the status on Keck show "Your application is complete and under review at this time." for everyone once secondaries are completed or does it just say " Your application is ready/complete" just trying to see if the "under review" makes a difference lol.

Does the status on Keck show "Your application is complete and under review at this time." for everyone once secondaries are completed or does it just say " Your application is ready/complete" just trying to see if the "under review" makes a difference lol.
It says that for everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
did anyone write a gap year essay for the optional question? Wondering if that is a good idea