2023-2024 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a groupme for accepted students?

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't been put on hold, rejected, or interviewed but the email states that when the secondary application is complete, it can take up to 4 months for any communication. I submitted mid August, so its been 4 months....anyone else in the same scenario?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't been put on hold, rejected, or interviewed but the email states that when the secondary application is complete, it can take up to 4 months for any communication. I submitted mid August, so its been 4 months....anyone else in the same scenario?
+1

Reactions: 1 users
+1

IS II just now in my spam folder!! This is unreal I'm shaking 😭 LM 69 Scheduling out mid-late February

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
hi! is anyone still waiting for a reply (hold, II, rejection) who was complete ~ late august? applied for PRIME btw

Reactions: 6 users
anyone complete late august and only applied regular MD hear anything in terms of IIs?

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know if this is the last batch of PRIME interviews or if they will be sending more ?

Members don't see this ad :)
also i prob ruined my chances bc i uploaded 2 update letters only to now realize the portal said don't upload update letters so they probably think I can't read :) literally just did not see that before

OOS II for me too in my spam, complete 8/11 and never on hold, I am in shock :oops:

You guys have me checking my spam folder every 5 min, but I doubt I'm getting an II 😭

Reactions: 3 users
What is ucsd doing for everyone’s inbox to recognize the email as spam?

• Haha
Congrats to everyone that got a PRIME II today!! Do you know if the PRIME interview differs from the traditional program's? I know that they are both MMIs, but I'm wondering if the questions might be changing based on the program you are interviewing for.

• Love
Anyone else put-off by the interview experience and questioning if they (me) know how to interact with human beings?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else put-off by the interview experience and questioning if they (me) know how to interact with human beings?
Honestly, the more I hear and see how unprofessional this school is the better I feel that they just ain't it lol

Yeah some of my MMI stations were weird asf (mostly the ones w faculty, the students were great). But maybe it's just me bc I caught the WL

Had a terrible interview experience, two of my interviews had thick accents which I couldn't understand and kept asking them to repeat themselves, all others except one seemed uninterested.
I've talked to a couple current students and they have corroborated this:
IMG_0408.jpeg

A couple were upset that they chose UCSD over other T20's due to the location and are now regretting it.

If anyone is given the opportunity of course take it and attend, but man it's just flag after flag. I've interviewed at quite a few schools and this was just not it.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Ngl, most of my interviewers were pleasant, but some were just straight up (?). Like in one of my stations, my rater would kinda smirk and look to the side as if what I said was the dumbest sh** they've ever heard (literally kept doing it the entire time and it threw me off so much) - I got the A, but I've looked at this school a little differently since that experience

Reactions: 8 users
Ngl, most of my interviewers were pleasant, but some were just straight up (?). Like in one of my stations, my rater would kinda smirk and look to the side as if what I said was the dumbest sh** they've ever heard (literally kept doing it the entire time and it threw me off so much) - I got the A, but I've looked at this school a little differently since that experience
+1, exactly this. I got the A and still absolutely love the school, but my experiences as a whole were a little off-putting honestly.

Reactions: 7 users
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I'm on the east coast so it's also far from home, tbh at this point I think I'd only matriculate if it was my only option.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
do PRIME applicants get admitted into the MD program first and then the PRIME one or? a little confused as to what the difference is between interviewing for PRIME vs regular MD

Oh boy, getting nervous for the interview after hearing all of y'all's experiences o_O

Mine just stared at me blankly as though I was wasting their time. At the med student Q&A, the current student asked how the MMIs went and only like 3 out of the 30+ interviewees gave a thumbs up and I was like...
Scared Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

• Wow
Oh boy, getting nervous for the interview after hearing all of y'all's experiences o_O
No no...don't be nervous - just expect that they may try to throw you off. Remember to maintain your composure.

• Care
My MMI was fine, they were pretty stoic. My best friend got in to UCSD two cycles ago and said it’s literal hell and the culture is so toxic, she was crying like 3 times a week not even from the classes but just at how cold everyone was there to each other
Common theme here

• Sad
My cousin had an interview for ENT residency at UCSD about a year ago and he described the culture as cutthroat, with the chief resident being extremely cold to the residents that they supervised. He said that even the culture at Harvard seemed way more relaxed when he interviewed there. Although this may be removed from the medical school somewhat, I think the analogy, "where there's smoke there's fire" applies here.

• Wow
My MMI was fine, they were pretty stoic. My best friend got in to UCSD two cycles ago and said it’s literal hell and the culture is so toxic, she was crying like 3 times a week not even from the classes but just at how cold everyone was there to each other
Dang...as a UCSD undergrad, it definitely is disheartening to hear that the dog-eat-dog culture also persists at the medical school. But why am I also not surprised... 🤡

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Dang, was the MMI supposed to be like a stress interview, or are faculty really just that cold? 🫠 I was really hoping for a II here but I guess I don’t feel as bad anymore after reading these comments…. lol

Dang, was the MMI supposed to be like a stress interview, or are faculty really just that cold? 🫠 I was really hoping for a II here but I guess I don’t feel as bad anymore after reading these comments…. lol
In defense of UCSD, MMIs in general are not supposed to be extremely personable/friendly from what I've heard, and most interviewers are trained not to show emotion or give away any visual cues/hints when they're listening to your responses. The bulk of my negative experiences/bad vibes I remember actually came from other interactions I had during interview day, but not with many of the interviewers themselves.

In defense of UCSD, MMIs in general are not supposed to be extremely personable/friendly from what I've heard, and most interviewers are trained not to show emotion or give away any visual cues/hints when they're listening to your responses. The bulk of my negative experiences/bad vibes I remember actually came from other interactions I had during interview day, but not with many of the interviewers themselves.

Makes sense. I’ve only had 1 MMI so far with a different school but it was a very pleasant experience. It could have been due to my own excitement (I’m a pretty friendly/social person), so every interviewer during that MMI smiled and was very personable. I’m glad to hear your interview experience wasn’t as unpleasant! :)

The people you interact with at UCSD are kind of hit or miss. I heard a lot of the interviewers for UCSD are kind of forced to do it which is why some of them have low energy/don't want to be there but from my personal experience at UCSD a lot of the physicians and med students I've collaborated with on projects are super nice. Obviously not everyone is going to be like that but you'd probably find cold students/faculty from any institution.

Can someone elaborate on why the culture at ucsd is considered toxic and if this is also true for PRIME students/program? I personally had a good experience with my interview, I agree with the person above that MMI’s aren’t exactly supposed to be super friendly/personable because of the nature of the questions themselves and the idea of MMI’s being used to remove bias from interviews/interview evaluations.

I spoke to a resident doc who went here and was part of the PRIME program a couple weeks ago and also when I was completing my secondary. They seemed to have had a very positive experience.

Makes sense. I’ve only had 1 MMI so far with a different school but it was a very pleasant experience. It could have been due to my own excitement (I’m a pretty friendly/social person), so every interviewer during that MMI smiled and was very personable. I’m glad to hear your interview experience wasn’t as unpleasant! :)
I think it depends on how the school runs their MMI. Another school I interviewed for is really small so the faculty really care about who goes there. They all volunteered and were super high energy and welcoming throughout the entire process.

• Love
Can someone elaborate on why the culture at ucsd is considered toxic and if this is also true for PRIME students/program? I personally had a good experience with my interview, I agree with the person above that MMI’s aren’t exactly supposed to be super friendly/personable because of the nature of the questions themselves and the idea of MMI’s being used to remove bias from interviews/interview evaluations.

I spoke to a resident doc who went here and was part of the PRIME program a couple weeks ago and also when I was completing my secondary. They seemed to have had a very positive experience.
Tbh I think the toxic UCSD culture is a bit exaggerated from a few bad experiences people have with certain faculty, especially research labs. I had a good experience at UCSD but was lucky to have great research mentors and PIs, others that I know were not as lucky. From the post interview questionnaire with the current UCSD med students they all seemed to think the Professors supported them so if it's super toxic then it could be from fellow students, not entirely sure.

• Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
UC San Diego seems like that college professor that says, "I put tricks on the exam to make sure you really know the material". LOL
Good intentions, but frustrating execution.

• Hmm
Im going to have to agree with the other comments that the interview was incredibly different and unpleasant compared to other institutions. But from what I have heard, interviewers are directed to be stoic and unfriendy during the interview, but Im wondering if this is a school I want to attend after this experience

• Care
Gonna add to this cause why not🤣 I also didn’t love my interview experience. I had one MMI station interviewer literally look at me like I had said something outrageous even though I totally didn’t. I was already nervous so it wasn’t a great feeling but oh well. I was ultimately WLd so I won’t pretend this is a school I wouldn’t consider since it’s one of the best schools in the country lmao but yeah, weird vibes

• Care
lol now I’m definitely wondering if students who interview for PRIME vs MD get the same questions and interviewers. I’m sorry a lot of people had a negative experience..

It reminded me a lot of the cloth/wire monkey experiments from psychology, or the still-faced mother experiments lol. It’s like they want to see how we react to that, probably in an effort to see if we know how to take care of ourselves - but it makes you wonder if that is the type of environment you personally will thrive in
thanks for sharing!! My other MMI’s have been pretty similar to this one, maybe that’s why I didn’t notice too big of a difference. That’s a lot to think about as UCSD is definitely one of my top choices, but I’ll keep an open mind and see what the vibes are at second look/in-person events.

thanks for sharing!! My other MMI’s have been pretty similar to this one, maybe that’s why I didn’t notice too big of a difference. That’s a lot to think about as UCSD is definitely one of my top choices, but I’ll keep an open mind and see what the vibes are at second look/in-person events.
Yup, same! Can't wait for second look to really get a decent sense of the vibes!

• Care