2023-2024 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1706817849378.png

Just a little comic relief after this mutual catharsis

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
My experience with UCSD MMI was good overall. I did have interviewers who seemed uninterested, but I try to not let those instances define the school/program. I've also had uninterested/aloof MMI interviewers at other schools, so I think that's part of the MMI experience. They probably just want to see how you react to different situations when under high stress. Also, I think it's best to talk to multiple students/faculties/residents before coming to a conclusion on the culture at a school. Everyone's experience is unique. At the end of the day, you should choose the school that best complements your needs and ambitions. Just my opinion :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
My experience was sort of mixed but I overall left with an amazing impression, and in large part b/c the session with the students was so great. They seemed to be the most genuinely happy, chill, and collaborative of all that I have encountered during interviews. All of my MMI raters were really warm, though one station was def real weird in that the rater shared their POV on the prompt and I thought they were just plain misinterpreting/wrong. But anyway, I was totally in love at the end of the day and am really surprised to see all these negative comments!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is anybody else quaking in their boots for today's decision 💀

update: Just got the A!! phone call then email :)

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I had a similar experience with my interviewers as many others here. The only MMI interviewer who actually seemed engaged in the interview with me was the med student interviewer. The rest of them were pretty cold and stoic. Almost like they were annoyed that they had to be there and completely uninterested in my responses. I wonder if it was intentional, as a way to 'stress-test' us, or whether they genuinely were just bored. In any case, I left feeling pretty unwelcome :(

Edit: I also want to mention that the dean, who was supposed to do the introduction session, just didn't show up. Instead we basically just waited for 30 minutes and asked questions to the lady who was coordinating the interview day (I forget her name). Felt very unprofessional.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Got accepted!!!! The call was the best part!! In tears of joy!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
Just got a phone call (what a cute touch!!), OOS A!!!! so so so so surprised and so SO soooo grateful!!! 🥰🥰🥳🥳

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
Wanted to leave a comment as a current medical student here (I wont say what year but I'm not an MS1) just because some of the anecdotes people have been talking about have legitimately been bewildering me. While I cannot speak to the culture of the residency programs at our school, (which to be fair I heard our IM program is NOT the chillest), I want to let you guys know that my time here has been nothing short of incredible.

My classmates are some of the most kind, brilliant, and friendliest people I have ever met. I feel legitimately supported by them when I succeed, and feel comfortable to be vulnerable with them when I fail. Some people in the class above us advertised this school as a place for people who care about being good doctors, but are also passionate about things outside of medicine. I feel this was definitely true. Groups of students are constantly going on ski trips, early morning surf sessions, and roadtrips to Joshua Tree, Vegas, + more. Of course, there are going to be some intense people you won't vibe with, or some parts of the curriculum that aren't your cup of tea - but that's not a UCSD specific issue. I feel out of my entire class there is maybe one or two people I wouldn't want to get a beer with at maximum.

Also, an MMI is often designed to be difficult. Some of the "mean faces" I faced on my interview day were actually some of the kindest physicians I have ever met. And besides, you shouldn't use the culture of certain residency programs and your interview day as a reliable analog to a school's culture either.

At the end of the day, you shouldn't take my experience as law. You don't know me, and to be fair, you can't even prove I go here. But at the same time you also don't know each other either. People make up lies for sillier reasons, and when giving up your acceptance can become someone else's ticket off the waitlist, there are reasons why some people might want to feed into a negative echo chamber. I do not intend on accusing anyone of lying - like any school students will have different experiences. But at the end of the day, many of us, and I would venture to say most of us, are really proud to go here.

Best of luck to all of you. I absolutely love this school, and if you decide to come here - I hope you will as well.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 31 users
Did any other accepted students run into technical issues after making an account on the connect.grad portal (in response to the email from admissions on Feb1)? I followed the instructions but didn't get a "welcome" page with next steps, it still told me to make an account (even though my name was logged in at the top), and there were no current "applications" listed. I emailed them and they said not to sweat it and others were having some issues but if anyone found a workaround please let us know! TIA!

Reactions: 1 users
Did any other accepted students run into technical issues after making an account on the connect.grad portal (in response to the email from admissions on Feb1)? I followed the instructions but didn't get a "welcome" page with next steps, it still told me to make an account (even though my name was logged in at the top), and there were no current "applications" listed. I emailed them and they said not to sweat it and others were having some issues but if anyone found a workaround please let us know! TIA!
I also had this issue! Did you use your ucsd email or your personal to register? I thought I was having issues cus I used the ucsd one 😅

Any ideas on waitlist movement trends?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also had this issue! Did you use your ucsd email or your personal to register? I thought I was having issues cus I used the ucsd one 😅
I used the one I have listed in AMCAS. Hopefully they get it sorted soon!

II on 1/30 and was sent to spam. Orm, lizzy 60. Aint no way!

Reactions: 5 users
OOS II just now, complete early September, LM 81

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know about the waitlist movement?

Has anyone received the Zoom info email for the interview this Thursday (2/8)? They said we’d get it 2-3 days before the interview but haven’t gotten anything in my inbox so far.

As a data point, received ii mid/late January (was complete early October). Never previously placed on hold. IS, LM 69.

As another data point: I thought my interview experience was completely normal, nothing notably different from other MMIs that I've done

+1 post hold R. Idk why I applied here as a tx resident but yolo!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I haven’t received any word yet, not even a hold. 9/22 complete. Can I email admissions to ask what’s going on lmfao.

I haven’t received any word yet, not even a hold. 9/22 complete. Can I email admissions to ask what’s going on lmfao.
I am in the exact same boat actually.

OOS nontrad with masters LM 72, born in cali and went to undergrad in UC system, went OOS for grad school.

UCSD is my #1, but I have already been rejected from UCLA and UCSF so I am not holding my breath for UCSD.

• Care

OOS nontrad with masters LM 72, born in cali and went to undergrad in UC system, went OOS for grad school.

UCSD is my #1, but I have already been rejected from UCLA and UCSF so I am not holding my breath for UCSD.

Soooo can we email admissions or are they going to remember to reject us on the spot

same but 08/27 complete...i emailed them for an update but they never responded

kinda same with nontrad + masters + born in cali but im waiting for all uc schools still that i applied 😭

I got rejected pre II from UCLA and UCSF but got an II for UCSD…….don’t give up hope :)

+1 hold + pre-II R. coulda done this in october guysss :')

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users