2023-2024 Midwestern University (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you guys had any sort of social media group put together yet?

The prior classes all have Discords and use them quite a bit. If there isn't anything already set up, I can probably make you guys a similar one over the weekend or early next week at some point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
it has been over 4 weeks since my interview and I haven't heard anything -- have folks had success reaching out for an update? Should I just wait?
They are meeting up on the next 1-2 weeks and will come out with decisions then

Have you guys had any sort of social media group put together yet?

The prior classes all have Discords and use them quite a bit. If there isn't anything already set up, I can probably make you guys a similar one over the weekend or early next week at some point.
Let us know if you do!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am writing a letter of interest. Has anyone sent one in, and knows if we email it in or upload it on the portal.
Plus, who did you make it out to (dean of AZCOM) I couldn't locate a name on their school websites?

I am writing a letter of interest. Has anyone sent one in, and knows if we email it in or upload it on the portal.
Plus, who did you make it out to (dean of AZCOM) I couldn't locate a name on their school websites?
Can't answer your first question for sure, but I would personally email it to admissions.
The dean's name is Dr. Lori Kemper.

I recently sent one in, emailed it to admissions! They’ll add the letter to your app file

did someone from admissions tell you that it's full?
yes, it was in my email. I'm pretty sure everyone will be waitlisted and then they will pull off the waitlist. last year they used up the whole waitlist and pulled from applicants that applied this cycle. so nothing to be worried baout.

yes, it was in my email. I'm pretty sure everyone will be waitlisted and then they will pull off the waitlist. last year they used up the whole waitlist and pulled from applicants that applied this cycle. so nothing to be worried baout.
Does this also mean they’re done interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know this?

Personally, this happened to me. I applied for this cycle and they called and asked if I would interview for their last cycle (22-23) due to this reason.
That's crazy, congrats.
Do you think it can apply to people who are on an interview waitlist? Or was it only for those WL after interviewing.

Personally, this happened to me. I applied for this cycle and they called and asked if I would interview for their last cycle (22-23) due to this reason.
I heard they only do this for applicants with high stats? as in attracting students with high stats by offering them a chance to start medical school a year early because the school has a strong emphasis on high stats

That's crazy, congrats.
Do you think it can apply to people who are on an interview waitlist? Or was it only for those WL after interviewing.
Thank you, I personally chose to be considered for this cycle instead.
Regarding interview waitlist, only time will tell. They have a very large class size so I wouldn't be surprised, especially given that there could be movement for those on waitlists to other schools that an applicant might chose to pursue instead of Midwestern. Good luck!!

I heard they only do this for applicants with high stats? as in attracting students with high stats by offering them a chance to start medical school a year early because the school has a strong emphasis on high stats
I have an LM score of 70, and I also had a DO letter & ties to an alum, perhaps your explanation is not off

Reactions: 1 user
Ok guys, I made a Discord for you. I can ask some current M1/M2s if they want to join to answer questions as well.

Hey! Looks like the link expired. I'd be happy to jump on and answer questions too if you can share a new link.

Is anyone reconsidering attending this school in light of the recent abortion ban? I’m wondering how this will impact our medical training…

Is anyone reconsidering attending this school in light of the recent abortion ban? I’m wondering how this will impact our medical training…
I don't think it will affect our training; I don't think it will affect you at all unless you are going into OBGYN. If that's the case do your rotations at another state. I think they will be training us to be capable physicians in the USA so they will have to go over everything, after that you just follow the laws appliable in your state.

I would not worry about it impacting your education - we have a very active pro-choice group that puts on workshops related to abortions, women's health in general, etc. They still have to teach to the boards as well. I doubt you would be assigned to a preceptor who does elective abortions regardless of the law and OB/GYN is only a single 4 week rotation so that's really not worth making a 4 year school choice over, IMO.

I would just be looking at gearing towards doing your residency in another state, if you are interested in OB/GYN and providing terminations. There are also options to rotate in California or Illinois which are very blue states.

anybody interviewed on 2/27 or after heard back yet? the waiting is killing me o_O

anybody interviewed on 2/27 or after heard back yet? the waiting is killing me o_O
You should try calling admissions, I hadn't received a decision for over a month and when I called they claimed they sent me an email but let me know I was waitlisted over the phone. I think this school's decision emails frequently don't go through for people so may just need to call to be sure.

You should try calling admissions, I hadn't received a decision for over a month and when I called they claimed they sent me an email but let me know I was waitlisted over the phone. I think this school's decision emails frequently don't go through for people so may just need to call to be sure.
thank you for the suggestion. I just called the admissions and they picked up right away. They said I'm on the alternate list, which they said is not the same as the waitlist. The difference is that people on the waitlist are offered a spot as soon as seats open up but for people on the alternate list, they'll review your application again before offering a seat. So I guess that means that they won't start reconsider the people on the alternate list until they used up the waitlist :cryi:

thank you for the suggestion. I just called the admissions and they picked up right away. They said I'm on the alternate list, which they said is not the same as the waitlist. The difference is that people on the waitlist are offered a spot as soon as seats open up but for people on the alternate list, they'll review your application again before offering a seat. So I guess that means that they won't start reconsider the people on the alternate list until they used up the waitlist :cryi:
I dont think thats the case because I was placed on the alternate list but in the email it says "the committee did vote to accept your application, however there currently is not space available in the class.....expect movement's in 6-8 weeks." I though that they were the same, if they aren't the same then Im guessing they will use people from the alternate list and then waitlist.

I dont think thats the case because I was placed on the alternate list but in the email it says "the committee did vote to accept your application, however there currently is not space available in the class.....expect movement's in 6-8 weeks." I though that they were the same, if they aren't the same then Im guessing they will use people from the alternate list and then waitlist.
I really hope that's the case! I was quite confused during the phone conversation, so I asked for clarification a few times. From what they explained, it seems like the waitlist essentially consists of applicants who have been accepted contingent upon the availability of a seat (essentially accepted but not guaranteed a spot). The alternate list, on the other hand, appears to be a situation where they're still considering whether to accept us but aren't ready to make a final decision or issue outright rejections. Instead, they plan to reevaluate our applications thoroughly once more before potentially offering a seat. It seems the alternate list functions somewhat as a secondary safety net, a waitlist for the waitlist, if you will, keeping us in reserve just in case. But I really hope that what you explained is really the case!

FWIW guys, I was on the "alternate list" and was offered a seat in May.

A lot of people come off the waitlist/alternate/whatever word they want to use. I didn't know there was a difference of any kind :shrug:

Withdrew my acceptance here, hope it goes to you!

Does anyone have a list of Midwestern’s rotation sites?
There's a lot and it may change by the time you hit M3.
Do you know which regions you'd be trying to get assigned to? The options are Phoenix, Tucson, north & south LA, San Diego, Chicago and Kankakee.

Do you know which regions you'd be trying to get assigned to? The options are Phoenix, Tucson, north & south LA, San Diego, Chicago and Kankakee.
Gotcha, I was hoping to stay in Arizona so either Phoenix or Tucson

Gotcha, I was hoping to stay in Arizona so either Phoenix or Tucson
Phoenix they can send you literally all over the valley, it's split into West & East. I believe everyone had to credential for the Banner system, HonorHealth, Abrazo, the VA, Valleywise (county hospital), and then they'll have various outpatient preceptors. They send you to a rural rotation too. Most people got Prescott, Sierra Vista or Kingman.

Tucson looks like most of the options are at Tucson Medical Center or U of A, again dependent on preceptors.

Edit because I just remembered this - Tucson this year got screwed, they are basically half in Tucson & half in Phoenix. They were told they could live in either location. So yeah, that blows because those two cities are a 2 hour drive apart. I do not suggest ranking Tucson highly in your lottery system, to be perfectly honest.

Discord is what the last 3 classes use - here is one for you guys: Join the AZCOM Class of 2028 Discord Server!

Last edited:
Do you know how rotations work? Is it a lottery system where you pick the region and then hospitals? Do they give preference for people from let’s say chicago to go to chicago? Do you know roughly how many students per region?

Do you know how rotations work? Is it a lottery system where you pick the region and then hospitals? Do they give preference for people from let’s say chicago to go to chicago? Do you know roughly how many students per region?

You rank your regions in order of your preference. You do not get any points based on where you're from.
I'm guessing it just randomly starts pulling students and giving them their 1st choice until sites are filled & then starts giving out people's 2nd preferences, etc.

The vast majority are in West/East Valley (Phoenix & surrounding cities). I believe it's between 150-175 people go to those, can't remember the exact count. I know for a fact that Chicago has 12 seats & Kankakee has 3. Not sure how the rest are split between LA, San Diego and Tucson.

You are allowed to trade regions but that's at the whim of your classmates. You are not allowed to offer money or anything to trade either. Most of my class traded to where they wanted to be, except a few that wanted Chicago or specific LA (north instead of south or vice versa). Class of 2027, not so much.

If you are from IL or CA, I would not get your heart set on returning in case you don't get lucky. A lot of c/o 2027 were very upset when assignments came out... there were quite a few people from Chi who seemed under the impression that they would get to go home.

Hospital choice - no. None, lol. They make it abundantly clear that you get what you get. Most rotations are preceptor based, so you get assigned a physician, not necessarily a hospital. Chicago is the only one that is almost entirely ward-based and in one place (Swedish Covenant).

Just got an email saying they’re starting to review the alternate list and wanted to know if I still want to be on that list. I don’t want to be on that list- I want to get off of that list lol.

• Haha