2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I bet that's for the dual-degree applicants, who apply via AMCAS.
Actually I think UTSW is participating in it, even though they’re non-AMCAS. I applied regular MD through TMDSAS, and they ask us to use the tool if we also applied to AMCAS schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Any medical students currently at UTSW regret choosing UTSW over another Texas school you were accepted to?

This was my only acceptance so I can't answer this directly, but I will say that UTSW would have been my choice regardless of any other acceptances, and I would make that same choice over and over again. I've been very happy here.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Man, neuroticism is high with the Waitlisting emails on this thread haha

Question to any current students: what attire is usually worn during clinicals?

It depends on the rotation! You wear scrubs for rotations like surgery or OB. Business casual for clinic days. Some rotations like IM have different rules depending on what day it is (for IM you can wear scrubs on call days but business casual normal days). It's quite variable.

Does anyone know roughly how many people get accepted off of the Wailist?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know roughly how many people get accepted off of the Wailist?

Someone on Reddit made this list a few days ago. It’s from data from USWNR 2017. UTSW is number 66. I’m not sure what to make of the data. For IS applicants, it shows 737 interviewed, 360 accepted, and 202 enrolled. Does this mean they saw 158 people move from the waitlist? It also had OOS data.

How do I add links on mobile? It keeps changing it to media

Someone on Reddit made this list a few days ago. It’s from data from USWNR 2017. UTSW is number 66. I’m not sure what to make of the data. For IS applicants, it shows 737 interviewed, 360 accepted, and 202 enrolled. Does this mean they saw 158 people move from the waitlist? It also had OOS data.

No, it means that not everyone who was offered an acceptance chose to enroll. Applicants, IS or OOS, who had other offers they preferred and did not accept the UTSW seat.

No. It means that 360 total IS acceptances were offered. This includes waitlist acceptances.

I’m still curious as to the number of people on the waitlist and the percentage that get off of it

No. It means that 360 total IS acceptances were offered. This includes waitlist acceptances.

Yes, but let’s assume they offered 202 IS acceptances on Match Day. That leaves 158 of the 360 acceptances left. Wouldn’t those be offered to waitlisted applicants?

Yes, but let’s assume they offered 202 IS acceptances on Match Day. That leaves 158 of the 360 acceptances left. Wouldn’t those be offered to waitlisted applicants?
UTSW definitely offered more than 202 IS accepted by Match Day. Pretty sure they over accept via prematches as well. Waitlist movement is good at UTSW, but not that good lol. No need to worry till like April 30th anyways when seats will really start opening up.

No, you can't assume all the stuff you are assuming. Some offers were made to those who have multiple offers and a student can only enroll one place. Prematch offers also count as offers but do not necessarily translate to a match on Match Day, again because of the multiple offer thing. They did not necessarily end up with a full class on Match Day. Any students who initially accept then withdraw will eventually generate new offers. That 360 number you are focusing on is the total number of offers put out by the end of the whole cycle, ending at matriculation day.
#thisiswhytheywantyoutotakestatistics
#redditisnotagoodfactsource
#USNWRisnotagoodfactsource
@efle we need a sensible statistics guy over in here :hello:

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSW definitely offered more than 202 IS accepted by Match Day. Pretty sure they over accept via prematches as well. Waitlist movement is good at UTSW, but not that good lol. No need to worry till like April 30th anyways when seats will really start opening up.

I forgot about pre-matches. I kinda figured that the waitlist movement wasn’t that good, lol. That’s why I said I wasn’t sure what to make of the data in my first post.

There are only 240 seats.

There are only 240 seats.

I know. That’s why I was confused with the 158 other acceptances. I found it hard to believe there was that much waitlist movement, but I had forgotten about prematches. UTSW historically prematches their entire class, so that, along with some waitlist movement, explains all those other acceptance offers.

Question to any current students: what attire is usually worn during clinicals?
For scrubs you have to use hospital scrubs, so don't invest in a bunch of expensive scrubs unless you want to wear them at home I guess. They are comfy.
Otherwise business casual.

Seeing that 77% of out of state interviewees get accepted makes me both happy that I have a good chance of getting accepted off the waitlist but also stressed because I feel like I'll be the 23% that wont get accepted.

When are we likely to start seeing waitlist movement?

Likely at the beginning of May when everyone is required to decide on their top choice

Edit: last year WL movement started May 3rd

Longest 2mos of my life!

Could any current students please PM me about housing options at UTSW? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know if going to UTSW will hurt my chances of matching to a residency OOS? I'm a Texas resident but went to college in California, and really wanted to stay here or move to the east coast for med school but since my OOS top choices waitlisted me, I'm coming to UTSW and hoping to shoot for my relocation dreams come residency time :D

Does anyone know if going to UTSW will hurt my chances of matching to a residency OOS? I'm a Texas resident but went to college in California, and really wanted to stay here or move to the east coast for med school but since my OOS top choices waitlisted me, I'm coming to UTSW and hoping to shoot for my relocation dreams come residency time :D
California schools apparently have a strong bias against Texans since Texans tend to stay in Texas. However if you have ties in California and a good reason to make them believe you want to move there and stay there after residency, along with a good application, I imagine it would work out, UTSW is an amazing school with a great reputation among residency programs.

Would it be to our disadvantage to send a letter of intent at this point if on the waitlist? Or even another recommendation letter?

Would it be to our disadvantage to send a letter of intent at this point if on the waitlist? Or even another recommendation letter?
Since they specifically said no additional letters are needed I wouldn't

Not sure if it would be a disadvantage, but the waitlist email did state they did not want any updates, letters of intent, or additional LORs. Maybe one of the current students that got accepted off the waitlist can answer.

Google last year's match list! There were definitely people who matched OOS, I think it's about 50% (keep in mind 90% of the class is from Texas and many want to stay in Texas). If you really want to match OOS, you can do away rotations as well!

Any advice for individuals on the waitlist when it comes to getting off and performing well at UTSW? I’m just wondering if any current students who were on the waitlist can comment on if they still felt successful knowing they didn’t get in right away.

Can i just email them and ask where I stand on the waitlist and what my chances are, cuz im about to juz withdraw from dis school if i stand no chance and get some peace in mind

Can i just email them and ask where I stand on the waitlist and what my chances are, cuz im about to juz withdraw from dis school if i stand no chance and get some peace in mind
if you wanna just call and ask, they are nice on the phone and will answer your questions. If you do tho, be sure to post here what they say EDIT: did you end up getting BCM?

Last edited:
if you wanna just call and ask, they are nice on the phone and will answer your questions. If you do tho, be sure to post here what they say EDIT: did you end up getting BCM?
bruh if i got in bcm, i woulda withdrawn from utsw a looooooong time ago brotha

Reactions: 3 users
bruh if i got in bcm, i woulda withdrawn from utsw a looooooong time ago brotha
Why do you say that? I know it's a personal decision, but I feel like UTSW has an edge over BCM right now, though both are good schools.

might be his/her personal preference. But man UTSW has a lot of great things going for it in my mind
I agree. I'm accepted at both like you (and many others who I met at MS0), and after extensive pros/cons spreadsheets I'm really leaning UTSW. It's hard to turn down Parkland, its own top university hospital, T10 residencies in several specialties (IM, ob/gyn, derm, uro, plastics, gen surg), and cheap parking :)

Reactions: 5 users
Happy to see some communication from UTSW to the waitlisted applicants in today’s email. Basically states that we are still waitlisted, to remain patient, and to expect future update emails.

They also stated they changed their date from June 1st to May 15th where they will no longer offer a seat to applicants holding a seat at another TX school.

Happy to see some communication from UTSW to the waitlisted applicants in today’s email. Basically states that we are still waitlisted, to remain patient, and to expect future update emails.

They also stated they changed their date from June 1st to May 15th where they will no longer offer a seat to applicants holding a seat at another TX school.
That email made my heart stop for a sec... so just to clarify, after May 15 basically dont even bother looking for apartments in Dallas

That email made my heart stop for a sec... so just to clarify, after May 15 basically dont even bother looking for apartments in Dallas

Made mine stop for a second too.

If you’re already accepted at a TX school, yeah, you’re out of luck after May 15th. And that’s at every TX school, not just UTSW. I just checked on TMDSAS site.

If you’re already accepted at a TX school, yeah, you’re out of luck after May 15th. And that’s at every TX school, not just UTSW. I just checked on TMDSAS site.
Except for baylor right? still got hopeee

may be a good thing. with some schools starting mid-june, having a sense of finality by May 15th is positive
Definitely a good thing, its like May 15 is our new match day, gonna be the longest month and a half of my life!

Except for baylor right? still got hopeee

This does include Baylor. I hope you get good news from them!

IMG_5335.JPG

That kind of stinks imo. I wish everyone could be in play until the cycle was over! But an earlier date to learn your fate IS exciting! Lord give me strength!

Last edited:
This does include Baylor. I hope you get good news from them!

View attachment 256509
How would this look like for waitlist applicants? Wouldn't most of the spots be filled since waitlist movement is highly dependent on Baylor? I feel like there wouldn't be much movement after that date even for those not currently accepted......

How would this look like for waitlist applicants? Wouldn't most of the spots be filled since waitlist movement is highly dependent on Baylor? I feel like there wouldn't be much movement after that date even for those not currently accepted......
Well if you look at it on the bright side wouldn't that make schools want to send more WL offers before May 15th?

Well if you look at it on the bright side wouldn't that make schools want to send more WL offers before May 15th?

I tell myself to look on the bright side at least 10x a day in order to keep sane as I wait out the rest of the cycle. Along with PATIENCE is a virtue. Patience is a virtue. *Woosahhh* patience is a virtue..

I tell myself to look on the bright side at least 10x a day in order to keep sane as I wait out the rest of the cycle. Along with PATIENCE is a virtue. Patience is a virtue. *Woosahhh* patience is a virtue..

Me too. Still sitting here without an acceptance and on 4 WL’s. It’s hard some days.

Does this also apply to DO schools, or MD schools only?