University of Minnesota- Twin Cities Secondary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed in October, and I don't recall Dec. 15th as a call deadline. I remember them saying "by the end of December." However, it does make sense for the calls to go out this week, right? It would be odd for them to call over the holidays.

Also, has anybody been able to clarify whether or not we get a rejection/waitlist letter this month? Or do we just have to assume non-acceptance if we don't receive a call?

The waiting is terrible.

Yea, the same thing was said at my interview as far as hearing by the end of December rather than December 15th being anything special this year. The website says the first wave will hear a decision in December, so waitlist/rejection letters should be going out this month too.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, the same thing was said at my interview as far as hearing by the end of December rather than December 15th being anything special this year. The website says the first wave will hear a decision in December, so waitlist/rejection letters should be going out this month too.

At my interview in early Oct. they said they would call on Dec. 15th, but that sometimes they were a day or two late calling, and to not freak out if that was the case. Guess they are telling different groups slightly different things.

Did anyone get a call today? This waiting frustrates me.

And... wait a minute. I also read something about how only "a handful" of people are getting calls, while all the official acceptance letters are going out in the mail mid-Dec ? ? ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't get any calls today...it sucks that every single time the phone rings my heart starts racing, just to be disappointed...this waiting is brutal.

I have not heard/read anything about only a handful of people getting call...where did you see/read that?

Did anyone get a call today? This waiting frustrates me.

And... wait a minute. I also read something about how only "a handful" of people are getting calls, while all the official acceptance letters are going out in the mail mid-Dec ? ? ?

No calls here either. I read something about that on someone's mdapps also. I think it was referring to acceptances that went out around the end of october. If you look on mdapps, I know people may lie but... it looks like 3 people have been accepted this year that were not EDP. So maybe thats what the post was referring to, a few people getting calls early and the rest of the calls going out in mid-december.

Didn't get any calls today...it sucks that every single time the phone rings my heart starts racing, just to be disappointed...this waiting is brutal.

I have not heard/read anything about only a handful of people getting call...where did you see/read that?

same here, every time I got a phone call I cursed the caller in my head because it wasn't the U of M...

same here, every time I got a phone call I cursed the caller in my head because it wasn't the U of M...

Same here too. No call. Glad to hear the same from you guys. I just remembered that I should be waiting for a call, and I was like "Oh S**t, I'm getting waitlisted or rejected. Better check on SDN" This waiting period's killing me. I'm waiting for this U of M acceptance to decide if i shall go to my next interview or not.

No call. Nothing in the mail except a letter from the Navy (??). :cry:

Nothing for me either. I don't suppose anyone has called to see whats up?

I called yesterday and they said I was awaiting final review before getting the call. Maybe that means the dean just glances to make sure everything is ok before making the call.

wow, there were some seriously pissed off posts last year!

I called yesterday and they said I was awaiting final review before getting the call. Maybe that means the dean just glances to make sure everything is ok before making the call.

Thanks for the info. And if that is as good as it sounds, congrats. Now just be sure to let us all know when the call comes in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, MN was kinda notorious for having a slow and opaque admissions process. They have made huge strides in recent years and I think shuffled things around a bit.

Yeah, MN was kinda notorious for having a slow and opaque admissions process. They have made huge strides in recent years and I think shuffled things around a bit.

Speaking of slow and opaque, I just called and apparently one of my interviewers hasn't turned in the paperwork :mad: So now even tho' I interviewed in Oct, I'm not going to be part of the 1st wave decision process... they're going to likely vote on me in Jan, and supposedly I'm going to hear in Jan. But I'm thinking this means, I'll hear back in Feb or March.

I interviewed at another school and heard back (at least about the prelim decision) 7 days later.

Speaking of slow and opaque, I just called and apparently one of my interviewers hasn't turned in the paperwork :mad: So now even tho' I interviewed in Oct, I'm not going to be part of the 1st wave decision process... they're going to likely vote on me in Jan, and supposedly I'm going to hear in Jan. But I'm thinking this means, I'll hear back in Feb or March.

I interviewed at another school and heard back (at least about the prelim decision) 7 days later.

I hope i didnt interview with the same person... Was is the faculty or the student?

That really sucks.

One of my buddies went through this with the U of MN last year, and when I told him of the December 15th date, he just started laughing at me. While frustrating, I'm just trying to tell myself that I'll know soon enough, either way.

That really sucks.

One of my buddies went through this with the U of MN last year, and when I told him of the December 15th date, he just started laughing at me. While frustrating, I'm just trying to tell myself that I'll know soon enough, either way.

And the thing is, why did they make such an effort to quote us a "Dec 15th" date, if they suspect it might not work out? I wish they'd just said "approximately end of Dec into early Jan" or something like that... I don't know. I actually believed them when they said it and was looking forward to the date.

Now to find out I haven't even been reviewed yet... sigh. It's kinda scary, 'cuz is that interviewer even going to remember now? I mean, assuming they didn't fill out the paperwork right away, and now they have to fill it out. It's hard to avoid feeling kind of jerked around. I'm trying to keep an open mind, as I do really want to go there. But this is not a good experience, man.

I hear ya man. It sounds like you may have another acceptance elsewhere, which has to help a little.

As far as the U of M goes, I really try to differentiate between the office of admissions, and the rest of the school. Sometimes they match each other perfectly (both cranky or both awesome). I think at the U of M, they fail to put their best foot forward sometimes in the admissions office, but that the profs and students really are excellent. The probably doesn't help a lot but thats my 2 cents.

Okay, so I just called, and was told that decisions would be going out in another week (right around Christmas, argh). That seems like an awfully weird time to be calling people, but whatever.

none here. Guess we are in for the long, uncertain wait.

I don't know if they updated their plans since, but when i called on the 12th, I was specifically told that the committee's final meeting would be on the 17th (today). They said all the calls would be made by Xmas.

Judging from what I've heard I wouldn't get too hopeful about hearing before Monday though :)

I don't know if they updated their plans since, but when i called on the 12th, I was specifically told that the committee's final meeting would be on the 17th (today). They said all the calls would be made by Xmas.

Judging from what I've heard I wouldn't get too hopeful about hearing before Monday though :)

spoke to admissions today, all I can do is confirm what others have said-I was told "Applicants will be notified of their status next week."

note: NOT by next week, but literally next week

Yeah so, hearing the response from you guys and gals just wasn't enough for me, so in order to complicate things and firmly declare my own insecurities, I called and asked them as well.
Here is their response: "We are working
on those decisions, and calls are going out from today to the end of
next week".

So the funny thing is that after reading ericL's post that we wouldn't hear anything until next week, I actually started to get some work done at my job. After calling the office of admissions, its come to a screeching halt as I check my phone and SDN for the 50th time today.

I hope I hear soon, if only so that I can become a functioning member of society again.

Just got the call guys - Accepted :D. Best of luck to all of you, let me know if you are going here and we'll start a UMN twin cities class of 2013 group.

I just got mine as well!!! Definitely going to the U! Good luck to everyone. Keepin by fingers crossed for you all!

When did you guys happen to interview?

I interviewed in early September . My cousin, who got the call within 10 minutes of me, interviewed in early October. it may be alphabetical? Our last names both start with a B...

any OOS acceptances yet?

yeah, my cousin is OOS.

I interviewed mid-october.

Congrats you guys! Will any of you be going to the U for sure?

Yeah I'm for sure going to the U. Its a cheaper and better school then my other options, and its simply a good fit. What about you?

edit: reading your recent post I see you will be going to the U as well. As it gets closer we'll have to do a U of MN class of 2013 get together somewhere...

congrats on those accepted!! I am truly envious. Anyone who get in have their interview in November-I interviewed middle of that month.

:)

Last edited:
I was told they met on Wednesday and would notify us this coming week. Obviously, they decided to notify people sooner. I haven't heard anything, so I wonder if that means I'm waitlisted :(

Same here. Looking at last year's thread, it seems that calls only went out on one day for the first wave. I wonder if that is the case this year. This is my state school, so I was hoping for some love, but I have a bad feeling that I'm not accepted. I have been yoked to my cell phone since last week, but thus far it has been silent. Ugh, it might be a rough Christmas.

Yeah so, hearing the response from you guys and gals just wasn't enough for me, so in order to complicate things and firmly declare my own insecurities, I called and asked them as well.
Here is their response: "We are working on those decisions, and calls are going out from today to the end of next week".

Same here. Looking at last year's thread, it seems that calls only went out on one day for the first wave. I wonder if that is the case this year. This is my state school, so I was hoping for some love, but I have a bad feeling that I'm not accepted. I have been yoked to my cell phone since last week, but thus far it has been silent. Ugh, it might be a rough Christmas.

Hopefully they are just taking their time this year...

:)

Last edited:
Okay, so I decided to embrace the crazy and paid Ms. Lola a visit (I work in the lab downstairs from the admissions office). I felt like a nutbag, but she was super nice. Anyhow, she said that all of the calls HAVE NOT gone out. She also asked me my last name, meaning that calls must be alphabetical. I have an L last name, but I couldn't tell whether her expression said "haven't gotten to the Ls yet" or "oh, you should have gotten a call already if you were in." So, there's that.

I'm a nutbab as well!! and, my last name begins with L as well!!! I am hoping to hear soon, I don't know how much longer I can take the anxiety!!

Did any calls go out earlier this week? Its seems like nobody has been called since that first thursday according to this thread.

I still haven't heard anything. When I visited the admissions office on Monday, Lola said that all decisions would be out by the end of the month. She had also said that all of the calls had not been made, but it is odd that nobody here has heard anything decisions-wise since last Thursday.

I really have no idea what to think. :confused:

Guys, don't stress out about the calling thing. The admissions office is very disorganized (as are many other aspects of the school). I interviewed in december and wasn't notified until march (after white told us specifically that we be told by "mid-december").

Also, don't listen to what Lola says. I wouldn't trust her to tell me directions to the gas station, let alone information about an important decision.

Guys, don't stress out about the calling thing. The admissions office is very disorganized (as are many other aspects of the school). I interviewed in december and wasn't notified until march (after white told us specifically that we be told by "mid-december").

Also, don't listen to what Lola says. I wouldn't trust her to tell me directions to the gas station, let alone information about an important decision.

Sounds like maybe you had the same problem I've got (interviewer not turning in materials on time)? ;) They're telling me I'll be notified mid-Jan now, as long as my interviewer turns his stuff in by 1/9 (I think that's when they next meet)... but who knows.

The only thing that's a bit disappointing is, I wonder if my interviewer's tardiness is gonna cost me since they're doing rolling admissions and my interview date supposedly landed me in 1st wave, but now I'm competing against a bunch of 2nd wave interviewees. Oh well... guess I can't do anything about it anyway. I have this nagging feeling they're gonna waistlist me anyway. :( Congrats to everyone who got in!

What other aspects of the school are very disorganized?

What other aspects of the school are very disorganized?
Random things (which I'm sure goes for all schools). For example, our tests almost always have several typos and outright errors and clearly have not been proofread. Compounding this is that professors often are not present during the exam to clarify things. Its just frustrating to pay 30 grand a year in tuition and to, seemingly, get nothing for it (except free printing, which is nice).

Don't read too much into this--I like this school a lot, but it does get annoying sometimes.

well, I returned home from the holidays to discover a waitlist letter...

ah well, looks like I get to wait another five months before discovering my fate.

Any current students have any accurate information on how the waitlist works and how it went last year? I looked at last years thread but only saw a handful of posters who were waitlisted, anyone know how many actually got accepted from the list?

Status
Not open for further replies.