2023-2024 Mayo Clinic - Minnesota (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
sweating as an MN applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
Were all of the waitlist emails sent at the same time?

WL just now too. Probably shouldn't have asked them if mayonnaise was an instrument during the Monday Q&A 😞

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
WL for MN around 2pm CST! Happy for all of us, let’s see how many result in A’s :)

WL for MN. I feel like there are a lot of WLs compared to A’s given out last week, I wonder what percentage are actually turned into A’s?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone not hear back yet like me? I’m wondering if this is just another post II R

• Care
WL for Florida anyone?
+1. Received a waitlist after interviewing for the MN/FL program. However, I read in the email that I could be placed on any of the campuses that I had selected on my initial application.

That detail about your LOI is key! I saw a thread where someone was worried about whether doing the same thing would tank their chances and it's good to see that a decision to share that info doesn't affect admissions! Obviously n equals one but still good to know
Sorry to dig this back up but this was my post! I got absolutely rrroasted for it too!! Something about a gun, if I remember right? I was just patiently waiting for an R after that. I feel like I want to update the post just to set the record straight but I don't want to revisit my semi-public shaming lol. Anyway, take SDN or anyone's advice with a grain of salt, as always.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
+1. Received a waitlist after interviewing for the MN/FL program. However, I read in the email that I could be placed on any of the campuses that I had selected on my initial application.
mine also said that. is there anyone else who's email said the same thing about the campuses?

Does anyone know when we should sent letters of interest or intent to Mayo if we are on the waitlist? Should we wait for April 30th, or can we go ahead and send them?

Does anyone know when we should sent letters of interest or intent to Mayo if we are on the waitlist? Should we wait for April 30th, or can we go ahead and send them?
Just keep begging tbh. I literally sent an update that was like

“PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I would maybe send it a bit before like early April since they probably would have already voted for some WL people to get in by that time (just my thoughts). Potentially you could email Dr. Tollefson or the admissions department to ask if there is an ideal time

I would maybe send it a bit before like early April since they probably would have already voted for some WL people to get in by that time (just my thoughts). Potentially you could email Dr. Tollefson or the admissions department to ask if there is an ideal time
Actually probably smarter than immediately after.

Actually probably smarter than immediately after.
I had sent them like 4 LOIs by the time I was accepted and I was in contact with the dean several times regarding things she told me to keep in touch during my interview, so I think they wouldn't mind if you sent multiple LOIs if you can sprinkle in an update too.

When are the Mayo (MN) visit days? Not sure if I missed an email...

When do y'all reckon is the best time to send an update letter? late march? should i include a voice memo of me crying and begging?

• Haha
When do y'all reckon is the best time to send an update letter? late march? should i include a voice memo of me crying and begging?
Late March or early April seems good. 87 people have been accepted to Mayo MN and the class size is 50. Also, I think an mp4 would be better than just a voice memo ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I had sent them like 4 LOIs by the time I was accepted and I was in contact with the dean several times regarding things she told me to keep in touch during my interview, so I think they wouldn't mind if you sent multiple LOIs if you can sprinkle in an update too.
How did you submit more than one letter of intent? My application won't let me upload a second- it sends me a message saying that it is limited to one per application.

How did you submit more than one letter of intent? My application won't let me upload a second- it sends me a message saying that it is limited to one per application.
They were LOinterest and I typically weaved them with updates so I put them in the update category and one of the LOIs was an email to the dean who interviewed me so it wasn't through the portal :)

Just withdrew - good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

For transparency, Mayo first gave me a 70% tuition scholarship based purely on need, then I was given a call by the financial aid coordinator saying I was one of two people selected for a need-based full tuition scholarship that is funded by a private donor. Mentioning this because it may be useful info for future SDN lurkers!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Can anyone speak to what the student insurance at Mayo looks like? Like how much it costs and if a spouse can be added?

Can anyone speak to what the student insurance at Mayo looks like? Like how much it costs and if a spouse can be added?
Can't speak for Mayo specifically but in my experience student insurance in medical school tends to be more expensive than finding third party insurance elsewhere. I plan to opt out.