2023-2024 Mayo Clinic - Minnesota (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No I didn't see it, and I haven't gotten any emails from the school yet either
+1. My interviewer said the school would email us confirmation sometime soon but I don't know if that means today or next week.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So are they done with calls if they are already sending out acceptance emails?

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Fyi for anyone else accepted, there's an official FB group and Groupme linked in the new offer response tab in the portal. I missed it at first since it's a bit buried, but it's there

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
You know what? I didn't want to wear suits during medical school anyway! :p

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just got the call!!!!! OOS A MN 4 year

edit: did receive highly ranked email and sent a letter of interest. call came from one of my faculty interviewers

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
just got the call!!!!! OOS A MN 4 year

edit: did receive highly ranked email and sent a letter of interest. call came from one of my faculty interviewers
Wow they are still releasing today, congrats!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Only one call reported today? Are we sure it goes until Friday? Cause it seems like the activity is dying down

They might still be calling. I missed a call half an hour ago from Rochester, MN, and when I called back it was the Mayo Clinic main line. Does anyone know if they call for waitlists, or is it just As?
That's an A same thing happened to someone last year

Anyone who got a call from R. En??
Expecting the worst but still somehow clicking refresh far too often.

So uh, does the highly ranked email actually mean anything? After looking through the thread it looks like people got in with and without it, but do people get WL or R with a highly ranked email?

So uh, does the highly ranked email actually mean anything? After looking through the thread it looks like people got in with and without it, but do people get WL or R with a highly ranked email?
n=1 I didn't get one

Looks like it didn't mean much for me. Silence on my end after receiving high-ranking emails from both interviewers (one being a dean) + sent in pre-II update + LOInterest.

Heart been broke so many times... (Joking aside I'm actually heartbroken)

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Looks like it didn't mean much for me. Silence on my end after receiving high-ranking emails from both interviewers (one being a dean) + sent in pre-II update + LOInterest.

In the same position (except I didn’t interview with the dean).

One of my interviewers reached out on multiple occasions saying I was highly ranked + my faculty interviewer sent a highly-ranked email + sent LoInterest + post-interview update

I don’t understand the whole highly-ranked thing. Does anybody have any idea why they do this? I really am genuinely curious.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users

Same position here - interviewed with the dean of admissions, received very laudatory highly ranked email, submitted LOInterest, received a call from another dean a few weeks after that… silence now lol. hopefully future applicants who play their game don’t get their hopes up like I did!

• Care
In the same position (except I didn’t interview with the dean).

One of my interviewers reached out on multiple occasions saying I was highly ranked + my faculty interviewer sent a highly-ranked email + sent LoInterest + post-interview update

I don’t understand the whole highly-ranked thing. Does anybody have any idea why they do this? I really am genuinely curious.
The more people speculate about the high-rank thing, the less clear it becomes. Mayo is an institution that is really infatuated with its history and culture; I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a passed-down tradition from past decades that doesn't really hold much weight anymore. Maybe individual interviewers can send these emails to people they like on a case-by-case basis, with it having little to no indication of how the actual committee feels about you. This is just more speculation from my end though.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Same position here - interviewed with the dean of admissions, received very laudatory highly ranked email, submitted LOInterest, received a call from another dean a few weeks after that… silence now lol. hopefully future applicants who play their game don’t get their hopes up like I did!
Hmmm. My working theory now is that they shoot these comms at people they think are super competitive for the cycle and likely to get multiple As and hope it translates to a letter of INETNT specifically. If they get no comms back, or even a letter of interest only, maybe they add you to the yield protected pile.

Hmmm. My working theory now is that they shoot these comms at people they think are super competitive for the cycle and likely to get multiple As and hope it translates to a letter of INETNT specifically. If they get no comms back, or even a letter of interest only, maybe they add you to the yield protected pile.
Yeah I could see that. I didn’t feel comfortable sending a letter of intent anywhere considering I’m low SES and wanted to see/leverage aid from schools, but definitely feels like a mistake now

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I got an A and said I didn’t get an highly ranked but looking back I think I did. My interviewer replied to my thank you like 2 months later saying it would be great if I ended up at Mayo but I didn’t think much of it at the time … just that they were slow at replying to emails lol. Just want to put it out there for future applicants that a “highly ranked” might come in many forms, depending on who you were interviewed by!

I got an A and said I didn’t get an highly ranked but looking back I think I did. My interviewer replied to my thank you like 2 months later saying it would be great if I ended up at Mayo but I didn’t think much of it at the time … just that they were slow at replying to emails lol. Just want to put it out there for future applicants that a “highly ranked” might come in many forms, depending on who you were interviewed by!
That might just be the interviewer we have in common since he technically doesn't spend much time at Mayo. I got a reply to my thank you email 40 days later from him. Looking at it now, the only phrase in there that seems remotely praiseworthy is "I am happy that you are happy about us," which is pretty dang mild lmao. Yours does seem stronger

That makes sense. Although I did end up sending a letter of intent and still no news. I guess we will find out in the coming weeks

Congrats on the A! Yeah, good point that these “highly ranked” emails may come in different forms. One of my interviewers sent a very standard “highly ranked” email in Jan. The other interviewer sent me an email about every month or so to check in, tell me they thought I was a good fit and that they hope I pick Mayo, and then sent a more official “highly ranked” email. They also offered to connect me to faculty. Super dope person.

It sounds like the Deans of Admissions for each campus get together over a two-day period to build the classes, so maybe my take home message is that the interviewers only have so much say in final decision.

Congrats on the A! Yeah, good point that these “highly ranked” emails may come in different forms. One of my interviewers sent a very standard “highly ranked” email in Jan. The other interviewer sent me an email about every month or so to check in, tell me they thought I was a good fit and that they hope I pick Mayo, and then sent a more official “highly ranked” email. They also offered to connect me to faculty. Super dope person.

It sounds like the Deans of Admissions for each campus get together over a two-day period to build the classes, so maybe my take home message is that the interviewers only have so much say in final decision.
Also agree that the different forms is a good point!

I’m just stuck on my highly ranked email being from the dean of admissions, and stating that the entire committee had now reviewed my application/discussed candidacy and that she was excited to share that everyone was impressed before moving on to the formal “highly ranked” verbiage. Makes it seem less to me like interviewer say and more like just slimy admissions practice

Heavy copium because I didn't get in, but the more I learn about it, the more I am unhappy with the way Mayo does admissions. Even a few years ago, when they mass accepted everyone on accident, it sounds like they weren't very apologetic, and all this misguiding and leading on with the subjective communications and letter solicitation is a bad look.

Would still totally scream if I had gotten in though don't get me wrong :rofl:

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Also agree that the different forms is a good point!

I’m just stuck on my highly ranked email being from the dean of admissions, and stating that the entire committee had now reviewed my application/discussed candidacy and that she was excited to share that everyone was impressed before moving on to the formal “highly ranked” verbiage. Makes it seem less to me like interviewer say and more like just slimy admissions practice
Dang, yeah, that's a good point. I hope this isn't me just being annoyed about the whole admissions rigmarole, but I do agree that Mayo admissions practices have felt slimier than any other school this cycle. It's weird coming from a hospital system/school that preaches professionalism. But yeah haha I'm in the same boat @toastedbutter lol

Reactions: 5 users
Literally agree with the sentiment. The amount of neuroticism I have displayed this week and refreshing this page LMAO. I do hope they are more clear on the admissions practice, and hopefully we all hear back soon. The hope is killing me.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Dang, yeah, that's a good point. I hope this isn't me just being annoyed about the whole admissions rigmarole, but I do agree that Mayo admissions practices have felt slimier than any other school this cycle. It's weird coming from a hospital system/school that preaches professionalism. But yeah haha I'm in the same boat @toastedbutter lol
Another data point if anyone's interested, but I've also noticed that Mayo seems to really like personal ties in the same vein as Northwestern, Mt. Sinai, etc, in addition to the standard T20 stuff. I looked at some of the other ppl in the accepted students' Facebook group, and a good chunk are from Minnesota, Florida, California, and other states near Arizona.

I'm personally not from Minnesota (tho I am in the midwest), but I had a family member undergo treatment at Mayo MN when I was younger. Afaik, Mayo is the only med school secondary I've seen that asks if you or a family member has been a Mayo patient. I also got all the standard highly ranked stuff+sent letter of interest, so they really seem to use it as a tool for recruiting certain ppl who may have a higher likelihood of attending cuz of personal ties and/or strong applications with certain characteristics.

But yeah not a fan of their whole process as well lol, I just find it really unnecessary, hope all you guys get good news!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hmmm this could be possible, but I'm not sure if they look into it that much. My understanding is Mayo cares a lot about class profile since it is a small school. Highly-ranked communication goes out after individuals are scored by the entire committee but before the class is compiled. In my eyes, some applicants can be highly ranked but be waitlisted because someone that was higher ranked took "their spot" if that makes sense. Unfortunately, this means it's possible for someone to be highly ranked and follow up appropriately and still be waitlisted. I'm not sure what everyone's highly ranked emails sounded like, but mine would have left me heartbroken if I didn't get the A.

I think it stems from interviewers having the option to reach out to applicants that score highly without knowing if there is a similar applicant that scored or will score higher. Basically, I think highly ranked communication does mean something, but it's sent out before the school even knows your chances of an A.

Also, I have no idea how intent vs interest works. This is all just theory

Have waitlist messages come out? confused on the postings here.

Just got the A call from my faculty interviewer! He had called yesterday, but I missed it and just got the call back about 5 minutes ago. Did not receive any highly ranked emails or other correspondence suggesting I was likely to get in. Since so many others got them, I assumed I was not even being considered. I sent a letter of interest and update the week of my interview way back in October, but I never followed up with anything later on. I also explicitly wrote in my letter of interest that finances were a concern so I didn't feel like I could write a letter of intent to any school without seeing financial aid packages.
That detail about your LOI is key! I saw a thread where someone was worried about whether doing the same thing would tank their chances and it's good to see that a decision to share that info doesn't affect admissions! Obviously n equals one but still good to know

Last edited:
That detail about your LOI is key! I saw a thread where someone was worried about whether doing the same thing would tank their chances and it's good to see that a decision to share that info doesn't affect admissions! Obviously n equals one but still good to know
In all my 3 LOIs to Mayo I mentioned the same thing about finances, in fact, the dean mentioned the finances being important to me in my highly ranked email.

In all my 3 LOIs to Mayo I mentioned the same thing about finances, in fact, the dean mentioned the finances being important to me in my highly ranked email.
Nice! I did the same so I'm glad that wasn't the reason for not converting to A here. Hope it leads to scholarships for y'all!