PCOM - Georgia Campus 2009 -2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats jbeezy ! Yes, I e-mailed Trena a few days ago, and I got the good news today as well. Good luck to those waiting - perseverance definitely pays off.

Congrats sponnal & jbeezy for your acceptance! Join us in our facebook page :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

And I second the perserverence! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I have called both PCOM campuses several times and they just keep telling me my application is complete but they cannot say anything more..... this has been going on for like 3 months.

Is there another way to find out why my application is not moving forward? Thanks.

When does PCOM-GA quit interviewing? I have a buddy (3.5/29) that hasn't been invited for an interview. Any clue on a time line to tell him?

I emailed Trena this morning because I couldn't take it anymore and received the great news that I was accepted too! Interviewed February 23. Can't wait to meet everyone and I extend the best of luck to those waiting.

Last edited:
When does PCOM-GA quit interviewing? I have a buddy (3.5/29) that hasn't been invited for an interview. Any clue on a time line to tell him?

Good Luck to you buddy. I've been waiting since December and not a word, not a returned phone call nor a returned email:mad:

Trena replied to my email asking about my application status

I e-mailed Trena last night and she responded this morning....accepted!!! Yay :laugh::thumbup:

Hi,

I have called both PCOM campuses several times and they just keep telling me my application is complete but they cannot say anything more..... this has been going on for like 3 months.

Is there another way to find out why my application is not moving forward? Thanks.

Hey,

I submitted all of my materials in December but my LORs were not registered until i resent them electronically 2 months later. I was trying to be patient but i should have been more aggressive at first in contacting them. I finally found out that i am interviewing March 22nd. I understand from Trena that that is the final interview date for this year, but i could be wrong.

contact her, be polite and explain your situation. That is all you can do.

Are they still accepting applications for this yr?
And ppl who got interview call or accepted what were ur gpa and pcat scores? Jus wandering how much chance i have.
My gpa is 3.6

do u think its too late to apply for this august.

Members don't see this ad :)
And ppl who got interview call or accepted what were ur gpa and pcat scores? Jus wandering how much chance i have.
My gpa is 3.6

Personally I would say it is too late to apply for this year's class, but that is just my opinion. Call and speak to Trena if you think that your app is good enough for them to consider this late in the app season. Best of luck!

My gpa is 3.6

PCAT? You may be looking for the pre-pharm thread. However, I think they are still accepting apps. Check with Aisha DeBerry. She is the admissions contact for the PharmD program.

Good luck

So I'm really not in that big of a dilemma, but maybe just need some encouraging words as to why PCOM is where I should be (I was accepted on Thursday).

I loved the campus / faculty / students / area / everything when I interviewed. Its still fairly close to Daytona Beach where I have family, and close to ATL for the little time we have off. Its also 38k a year.

I have an interview at LECOM-B the end of March, I know a prof there, and I feel like I'll most likely be accepted (...not trying to seem cocky). It's 45 mins South of Tampa where I am now but I've lived in Fl my whole life and feel like it doesn't have that much more to offer me. And then it's only 25k a year. And the PBL...not too sure. And I'm not too worried about the money - I'll always make more and I'll always have bills to pay.

I know I'll know for sure after visiting the campus, but does anyone want to put their two cents in when it comes to these two schools and why you chose / did not choose one?

So I'm really not in that big of a dilemma, but maybe just need some encouraging words as to why PCOM is where I should be (I was accepted on Thursday).

I loved the campus / faculty / students / area / everything when I interviewed. Its still fairly close to Daytona Beach where I have family, and close to ATL for the little time we have off. Its also 38k a year.

I have an interview at LECOM-B the end of March, I know a prof there, and I feel like I'll most likely be accepted (...not trying to seem cocky). It's 45 mins South of Tampa where I am now but I've lived in Fl my whole life and feel like it doesn't have that much more to offer me. And then it's only 25k a year. And the PBL...not too sure. And I'm not too worried about the money - I'll always make more and I'll always have bills to pay.

I know I'll know for sure after visiting the campus, but does anyone want to put their two cents in when it comes to these two schools and why you chose / did not choose one?

Ncguy pretty much has GA-PCOM covered. Those are all the pros to going to school here.

Now on to LECOM-B.

I visited the campus two years ago in order to get a sense of the DO schools here in Florida (being in Ft. Lauderdale, I wanted to check out what was local). LECOM-B is a horse of a different color COMPLETELY. The entire curriculum is PBL, meaning there are no traditional lectures to give you the information first. You learn everything through case study and individual study time. I don't know how well you fit as an independent student, but I like having the structure of a lecture-based curriculum. Yes, they do have professors on hand during the PBL sessions to guide the students along, but it's up to you to do ALL of the reading and understanding of the material on your own. You will get to see this first hand during your interview as interviewees sit in on a PBL session to see if it's the right fit for you.

Also, the atmosphere there felt a bit colder than that of GA-PCOM. Like ncguy said, it's a small class size, which gives it a very intimate feel. You will know everyone in your class and from what I saw at the interview, everyone is very cheerful and ready to help you along. Many students were encouraging just as we were walking down the hallway, wishing us congratulations and the best of luck. GA-PCOM from the beginning felt like community more than any other school I visited/interviewed.

My advice is to remember what made GA-PCOM stand out in your mind and compare that to LECOM-B when you're there. See if the curriculum fits your learning style and what the atmosphere is like. Take notice of what strong points stand out for you, then you'll know for sure which school to attend.

Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Thank God. Finally Accepted. Interviewed 11/30. Accepted 3/15.
Had to retake the MCAT in Jan for my acceptance to come through.
Just so relieved. :)

kdhmed, I will put my two cents. I had an opportunity to interview at LECOM-B, LECOM-Erie, and GA-PCOM, and was lucky enough to get acceptance at all those programs. So if I will try to break down LECOM-B (and remember it is only my personal opinion).

LECOM-B:
-It is slightly older than GA-PCOM and the students seem to be doing alright with the PBL program, the board pass rate was impressive.
-It will accept students who are highly self-motivated and fit for the PBL classes. So if you like to study independently, then this program might fit you better.
-Unfortunately the school was just felt so empty...I really did not like the sterile halls and the rooms (They had the clown collections in the hall which was freaky). But if you don't mind it, it will be alright since you only spend two hours in the school anyway.
-The faculty and admission people seemed slightly distant to me, but this is just my impression. I am sure there are great professors there.
-In the clinical rotations you have to set up your own rotation which might take some time if you're slow. Some student complained about it and the others were totally okay with it.
-Some people do very well there and they have pretty good match list.
-They have a strict rule on many things.
-Overall, I just wasn’t comfortable with LECOM-B due to various reasons. Although I was really interested in PBL courses and relatively cheaper tuition cost, I thought I need some more guidance for my medical education. In the end you have to visit the school and see how you feel about it. Sit in the PBL session; see how you feel about it. If you’re not sure about the PBL, then it’s better not to go there because that is really big issue. You have to consider many factors but the main things is that will you be comfortable being there (or any other school) for another couple of years. Whether you go to LECOM-B or GA-PCOM you will find pros and cons in both schools.

For GA-PCOM, I am pretty sure you know everything about it, so I won’t mention it. Personally, I felt comfortable with GA-PCOM and thought it will offer me more, but that’s just me. If you have more questions you can PM me anytime.

Ncguy pretty much has GA-PCOM covered. Those are all the pros to going to school here.

Now on to LECOM-B.

I visited the campus two years ago in order to get a sense of the DO schools here in Florida (being in Ft. Lauderdale, I wanted to check out what was local). LECOM-B is a horse of a different color COMPLETELY. The entire curriculum is PBL, meaning there are no traditional lectures to give you the information first. You learn everything through case study and individual study time. I don't know how well you fit as an independent student, but I like having the structure of a lecture-based curriculum. Yes, they do have professors on hand during the PBL sessions to guide the students along, but it's up to you to do ALL of the reading and understanding of the material on your own. You will get to see this first hand during your interview as interviewees sit in on a PBL session to see if it's the right fit for you.

Also, the atmosphere there felt a bit colder than that of GA-PCOM. Like ncguy said, it's a small class size, which gives it a very intimate feel. You will know everyone in your class and from what I saw at the interview, everyone is very cheerful and ready to help you along. Many students were encouraging just as we were walking down the hallway, wishing us congratulations and the best of luck. GA-PCOM from the beginning felt like community more than any other school I visited/interviewed.

My advice is to remember what made GA-PCOM stand out in your mind and compare that to LECOM-B when you're there. See if the curriculum fits your learning style and what the atmosphere is like. Take notice of what strong points stand out for you, then you'll know for sure which school to attend.

Good luck! :luck:

Really appreciate the advice! I was telling myself all of these things but its good hearing it come from two other people! Plus, everything besides PCOM sounds like garbage to me now. Got rejected from NOVA today and I don't even care!

kdhmed, I will put my two cents. I had an opportunity to interview at LECOM-B, LECOM-Erie, and GA-PCOM, and was lucky enough to get acceptance at all those programs. So if I will try to break down LECOM-B (and remember it is only my personal opinion).

LECOM-B:
-It is slightly older than GA-PCOM and the students seem to be doing alright with the PBL program, the board pass rate was impressive.
-It will accept students who are highly self-motivated and fit for the PBL classes. So if you like to study independently, then this program might fit you better.
-Unfortunately the school was just felt so empty...I really did not like the sterile halls and the rooms (They had the clown collections in the hall which was freaky). But if you don't mind it, it will be alright since you only spend two hours in the school anyway.
-The faculty and admission people seemed slightly distant to me, but this is just my impression. I am sure there are great professors there.
-In the clinical rotations you have to set up your own rotation which might take some time if you're slow. Some student complained about it and the others were totally okay with it.
-Some people do very well there and they have pretty good match list.
-They have a strict rule on many things.
-Overall, I just wasn’t comfortable with LECOM-B due to various reasons. Although I was really interested in PBL courses and relatively cheaper tuition cost, I thought I need some more guidance for my medical education. In the end you have to visit the school and see how you feel about it. Sit in the PBL session; see how you feel about it. If you’re not sure about the PBL, then it’s better not to go there because that is really big issue. You have to consider many factors but the main things is that will you be comfortable being there (or any other school) for another couple of years. Whether you go to LECOM-B or GA-PCOM you will find pros and cons in both schools.

For GA-PCOM, I am pretty sure you know everything about it, so I won’t mention it. Personally, I felt comfortable with GA-PCOM and thought it will offer me more, but that’s just me. If you have more questions you can PM me anytime.

Hey just saw this. Yeah I keep telling myself the PBL thing might be good for me, but I don't think med school is the time to start learning that way. I feel like I have a closed mind w/ LECOM now bc I am pretty much (aka 99.9%) set on PCOM for many reasons. Congrats on the acceptances btw!

Really appreciate the advice! I was telling myself all of these things but its good hearing it come from two other people! Plus, everything besides PCOM sounds like garbage to me now. Got rejected from NOVA today and I don't even care!

Hey kdhmed! Just wondering if you had an opportunity to interview at Nova or if you got rejected without one? Congrats on PCOM!

Hopingcandidate: Has your Webstar changed yet? If so, when did it change?

I did not realize I was on the PCOM page, sorry if I confused you with the Webstar thing (Nova COM)

Hey kdhmed! Just wondering if you had an opportunity to interview at Nova or if you got rejected without one? Congrats on PCOM!

Flat out rejected! HAH! Keep on keepin' on! And good luck this cycle!

Hey guys this question may have come already, but could anyone help me breakdown the curriculum approach of PCOM???

Because as far as i understand they have an "integrated curriculum" versus the "traditional curriculum". They define integrated curriculum as be the culimination of "problem-oriented cases, lectures, lab study, small group conferences, student-centered study and projects".

So iam assuming integrated curriculum is synomomous Problem-based Learning??? As would traditional-based learning to lecture-based learning???

Flat out rejected! HAH! Keep on keepin' on! And good luck this cycle!

that is so random, because I got into NOVA and didn't even get an interview at PCOM (philly) lol, I interviewed at the PCOM GA campus and was placed on hold.

Last edited:
that is so random, because I got into NOVA and didn't even get an interview at PCOM (philly) lol, I interviewed at the PCOM GA campus and was placed on hold.

I know there's no such thing as a "safe" school, but I'm in Tampa and my stats were at or above their standards so I thought I'd at least have an interview for sure. I e-mailed to see why they had made that decision and haven't received a response. Much rather be at PCOM anyway but just for the piece of mind. :cool:

This is an update for everyone who is still waiting to hear back.

First: I interviewed yesterday. If anyone who interviewed with me is checking the forum for the first time (there were several who hadn't heard of SDN), don't get too hung up on reading everything here, it will only make you crazy. It was great meeting everyone and I liked all of my fellow interviewees and wish everyone the best of luck no matter where they go.

Second: Trena spoke to us at length. Due to the new electronic system and a 15% increase in applicants over previous years, my process has been somewhat hectic, but she is as lovely and helpful in person as she is over the phone. Here is what she told us: this week was supposed to be the last interview cycle, however due to the volume of applicants, they are extending it into April. So you still have time. HOWEVER, she is being inundated with calls and emails, so it is taking a while to get in touch with her.

Here is the long and short of it. We all picked one heck of a year to apply. Applications are up an average of 30% around the country. I interviewed with people from very good schools, a post bac student from PCOM, and of course everyone was very impressive and professional in my group.

Be persistent without being obnoxious. Give Trena time to respond, include ALL information necessary for her work to be as quick as possible, and be polite. Come with relevant questions to the program, and just roll with the punches. Good luck to everyone.

Hey guys this question may have come already, but could anyone help me breakdown the curriculum approach of PCOM???

Because as far as i understand they have an "integrated curriculum" versus the "traditional curriculum". They define integrated curriculum as be the culimination of "problem-oriented cases, lectures, lab study, small group conferences, student-centered study and projects".

So iam assuming integrated curriculum is synomomous Problem-based Learning??? As would traditional-based learning to lecture-based learning???

It is not a PBL school, as was explained to me. The first year is heavy in A&P, the second year is heavy in cell and molecular. They are in a sort of disagreement of how to define the program in the course catalog, and it may be changed eventually, but they focus on all aspects of a system as they go in a lecture based class with clinical experience from the first year. They have a mock patient room where actors are evaluated by students, but it is not PBL. You could classify it as more traditional.

Anyone with news today? Wonder if those of us on hold were pushed back again.

So the torture continues. I'll continue to watch the pot in hopes that at some point it boils. Next adcom's April 24.

It is not a PBL school, as was explained to me. The first year is heavy in A&P, the second year is heavy in cell and molecular. They are in a sort of disagreement of how to define the program in the course catalog, and it may be changed eventually, but they focus on all aspects of a system as they go in a lecture based class with clinical experience from the first year. They have a mock patient room where actors are evaluated by students, but it is not PBL. You could classify it as more traditional.
Our curriculum is integrated and systems-based.

First year:
Term 1 - SPOM (anatomy, embryo, histo, etc)
Term 2 - CMBM (cellular & molecular basis of medicine: biochem, cell bio, and intro to micro, heme/onc, etc.)
Term 3 - Neuro

Second year:
Term 1 - Cardio/Pulmonary/Renal medicine (this is nasty, study hard)
Term 2 - Endocrine, Reproductive medicine & OB/GYN, Emergency Medicine, GI
Term 3 - Surgery, Ophtho, ENT, Derm, Musculoskeletal

Every term we have OMM and PCS (patient care skills)

So the torture continues. I'll continue to watch the pot in hopes that at some point it boils. Next adcom's April 24.

April 24th??? I thought deposits were due on the 15th? That is a month away. I have been given two dates and still no answer. I understand the inc. in apps this yr, but the longer it takes for me to get a final decision the harder it will be for my wife and I to make this work out financially =( Oh well, this is what I want, so I guess if I have to let me house go for almost nothing then so be it.

April 24th??? I thought deposits were due on the 15th? That is a month away. I have been given two dates and still no answer. I understand the inc. in apps this yr, but the longer it takes for me to get a final decision the harder it will be for my wife and I to make this work out financially =( Oh well, this is what I want, so I guess if I have to let me house go for almost nothing then so be it.

I feel your pain! I think that I have given up on PCOM! At this point, I think that I would turn down any acceptance offer that I got from them. Pity, I really liked the school, and my wife and I LOVED the area! Oh well, such is life!

I feel your pain! I think that I have given up on PCOM! At this point, I think that I would turn down any acceptance offer that I got from them. Pity, I really liked the school, and my wife and I LOVED the area! Oh well, such is life!

Some schools I applied to never sent an invite, a rejection or anything besides "we have received your application". I got my rejection letter from VTC-SOM this morning that simply said they have invited everyone they are going to, thanks for applying. PCOM is not the only school that is having a tough year. If you have other schools lined up, pick one and commit, though if you have none, I would guess that making plans ahead of time just in case, filling out your FAFSA and putting away money would be a good decision. Don't post anything online that may come to haunt you. People are not always as anonymous as it would seem.

To those who are in, congrats, to those who are waiting, persevere. See you all in August hopefully.

Some schools I applied to never sent an invite, a rejection or anything besides "we have received your application". I got my rejection letter from VTC-SOM this morning that simply said they have invited everyone they are going to, thanks for applying. PCOM is not the only school that is having a tough year. If you have other schools lined up, pick one and commit, though if you have none, I would guess that making plans ahead of time just in case, filling out your FAFSA and putting away money would be a good decision. Don't post anything online that may come to haunt you. People are not always as anonymous as it would seem.

To those who are in, congrats, to those who are waiting, persevere. See you all in August hopefully.
Good post. Keeping my head up. PCOM is my last hope.

I got a call from pcom-ga yesterday asking me if I was still interested...i interviewed oct 6 i believe and was waitlisted. She said they were going to start reviewing the older applications almost immediately....

Good post. Keeping my head up. PCOM is my last hope.

Word on the grapevine is the next adcom is 3rd week of April. There are 54 people on the GA-PCOM 2014 facebook page, assume 10 more that don't do facebook, and so about 20 seats left open.

Plan ahead, plan ahead, plan ahead. FAFSA, $2000 check, shots, everything. Preparation makes a little bit of luck go much further.

In regards the the facebook group, I wouldnt use it to guage the size of the class, not everyone uses facebook and there are several current student who joined the group with us...easily a dozen or so.
Nucleus was saying 50 something a few days ago, but that also includes people holding multiple acceptances.
Stay positive...well see what happens in April

SO.... I got accepted to this school and I absolutely LOVED :love:the area, the campus, and the sense of community between students.

My problem is that I really don't know anything about the school. I spaced out during my interview and didn't ask any questions. The folder we got was pretty vague and the website is funky with a big focus on explaining the philly campus.

What kinds of community outreach stuff is there? What kinds of clubs or programs are specific to this campus?

I am interested in international medicine. Is there any kind of group that goes anywhere?

What about the campus "sold" you to go there or to pursue education there?

What defines this school or sets this school apart from other places?

By the way, if all of this has been answered somewhere, feel free to post links.

I am in the midst of deciding between here and LECOM-B. I am still not over the clowns on the 3rd floor.

To Texastriathlete-- I TOTALLY know you!!! I was the only chick in a group of interviewers the Tuesday before ya'lls spring break! You were super helpful so thank you:D

just got an interview invite for April 6th... what is up with that? I was complete before Christmas and I already have two acceptances. I was interested in this PCOM-GA, but I've already put a deposit down elsewhere so I doubt I will go to the interview. Wonder why they waited so long?

They decided to extend the interview deadline into April. The majority of applicants such as yourself have already decided where to go. It may benefit those with no acceptances, but realistically, if you are good enough for an interview at PCOM who is to say they have not already interviewed elsewhere and decided this late in the game where to go. Congrats on your acceptances!

I agree and understand. I have multiple acceptances (don't mean to come off as greedy or conceited), and I would be very happy to go to any of the other schools. I was just kind of bummed by the way everything happened with PCOM, especially since I loved the school, and we loved the area. I also know that there is only a vague guise of anonymity on this site, and everything I have said I would not have a problem saying directly to PCOM... Just expressing my frustrations with everything that has ocurred, and if I did get accepted at this point I would most likely turn down PCOM due to the money and time that I have invested in the other schools. Don't mean to come off as cocky, just frustrated with the process! I know there are others out there that are feeling the same way. I wish the best of luck to everyone else out there who is still waiting, and congratulations to all those who have been accepted! :)

DitchDoc: absolute ditto for me when it comes to VCOM. I loved their school, and the admissions counselor there was super cool. I guess they have to be since they deal with so many of us.

You can apply to 10 "equal" schools, and have 7 schools reject you, or feel "lukewarm" about you, for no other reason than they are looking to fill a certain personality/demographic that particular year. VCOM focused on my GPA, PCOM focused on my MCAT. Why? I don't know. I only applied to 5 schools total. That I was fortunate enough to get the responses I did was almost half luck. I just ran out of money to apply with. I sincerely hope you and your family are happy wherever you go.

SO.... I got accepted to this school and I absolutely LOVED :love:the area, the campus, and the sense of community between students.

My problem is that I really don't know anything about the school. I spaced out during my interview and didn't ask any questions. The folder we got was pretty vague and the website is funky with a big focus on explaining the philly campus.

What kinds of community outreach stuff is there? What kinds of clubs or programs are specific to this campus?

I am interested in international medicine. Is there any kind of group that goes anywhere?

What about the campus "sold" you to go there or to pursue education there?

What defines this school or sets this school apart from other places?

By the way, if all of this has been answered somewhere, feel free to post links.

I am in the midst of deciding between here and LECOM-B. I am still not over the clowns on the 3rd floor.

To Texastriathlete-- I TOTALLY know you!!! I was the only chick in a group of interviewers the Tuesday before ya'lls spring break! You were super helpful so thank you:D

T3A was awesome talking to us as well. I would send him a private message and ask him about this stuff. I can only tell you that I learned about the professors quite a bit from T3A, I learned about the curriculum from him too. I asked about it during my interview, and they explained it, however, again, his post on this page clarified it much better for me.

I liked how the fitness room was right across the hall from the lecture room (sounds like a silly thing, but it is huge to me). The website showed the OMM room and anatomy lab as much smaller than they actually were, and the ventilation system in the anatomy lab was awesome. I have a really keen sense of smell (what a lame trait to have), and the lab didn't bother me.

I liked the location, a Publix down the street is very convenient, as are all of the town homes and proximity to the interstate. At the same time, it is sort of tucked away and out of the city's hustle. I am not a city fan. At all.

But what really sold it to me is that it is not PBL. Maybe I would do great in a PBL school. But the more I hear about it (MD and DO schools are using it now), the more I am glad I made it into a school with more traditional lectures.

Other than that, I was told in my interview that the curriculum mirrors PCOM main. I am glad to stay in GA, and PCOM has a great reputation among DO schools (though the best school is always the one you are in).

But to be honest, brutally, completely honest... Trena G and T3A sold me on it. Despite all of the tremendous headache that the application process presented, whether it is due to the new system, more applicants, or whatever (like I said before, a few schools have kept me hanging in "the void") she always responded and did her very best to assuage the torment. And T3A (and the students who took us on our tour) sold me on the overall experience.

That is all I got.