PCOM - Georgia Campus 2009 -2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SO.... I got accepted to this school and I absolutely LOVED :love:the area, the campus, and the sense of community between students.

My problem is that I really don't know anything about the school. I spaced out during my interview and didn't ask any questions. The folder we got was pretty vague and the website is funky with a big focus on explaining the philly campus.

What kinds of community outreach stuff is there? What kinds of clubs or programs are specific to this campus?

I am interested in international medicine. Is there any kind of group that goes anywhere?

What about the campus "sold" you to go there or to pursue education there?

What defines this school or sets this school apart from other places?

By the way, if all of this has been answered somewhere, feel free to post links.

I am in the midst of deciding between here and LECOM-B. I am still not over the clowns on the 3rd floor.

To Texastriathlete-- I TOTALLY know you!!! I was the only chick in a group of interviewers the Tuesday before ya'lls spring break! You were super helpful so thank you:D

I think we were in the same interview group. I was the guy that interviewed first and left first. I'll see you in August...

Members don't see this ad.

I got a call from pcom-ga yesterday asking me if I was still interested...i interviewed oct 6 i believe and was waitlisted. She said they were going to start reviewing the older applications almost immediately....

There seems to be a lot of speculation on the date of the review for those of us on hold. Some are saying third week in April and what they told you over the phone. I guess at some point this upcoming month we will hear something. Keeping my fingers crossed! Hopefully, sooner than later.

A buddy of mine interviewed today. Said the next ADCOM meeting was April 24th.

Members don't see this ad :)
got offered an interview for April 6 but I declined because I've already put my deposit in elsewhere, so I just wanted to say good luck to everyone here waiting to hear from PCOM-GA!

got offered an interview for April 6 but I declined because I've already put my deposit in elsewhere, so I just wanted to say good luck to everyone here waiting to hear from PCOM-GA!
Thanks for taking one for the team future Dr. SoCar. Best wishes to you!

why extend the interview period?

Last edited:
Finally sent my $2 K from my pocket...pretty heavy for student like me. Oh well, had to send it anyway. Now...the question is where is my binder? It's been while and no binder from school. Maybe after getting my deposit they want to sent it or something?

Because the deposit is going through the Philly office, I would call in 2-3 days to make sure the deposit was received. I think they have a lot of paperwork going through there every day.

I'm sending mine tomorrow.

Thanks, I will call and make sure they get it.

I sent in mine with a tracking number from the post office today. I suppose the day after it shows as received I'll call to confirm.

Wish you could pay electronically

You can if you contact the bursars office. They can fax you a credit card payment form.

Sweet. I appreciate the help. I just went ahead and followed the instructions on the acceptance letter and sent it in. No big deal, they sure didn't seem to have any problem cashing my secondary application check!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news for those on hold? Not much conversation the last few wks. I find it funny that the holds seem to be discussing in the class thread and those accepted are posting here.

Just so everyone on hold is clear, there is no set date to finalize our files (esp. not the 24th) based upon what Trena said today via email. All we can do is wait however long it takes and all the while start planning for next yr in a worst case scenario. Congrats to everyone with acceptances.

I interviewed April 6th and loved the school. Really want to be accepted here. I know there was a group that interviewed a week before and that there is at least one more group interviewing next week. So has anyone who interviewed recently heard anything? Does anyone know how many seats are left before the class is full?

I interviewed April 6th and loved the school. Really want to be accepted here. I know there was a group that interviewed a week before and that there is at least one more group interviewing next week. So has anyone who interviewed recently heard anything? Does anyone know how many seats are left before the class is full?

nucleus says 82 seats filled. Be prepared to jump on any seats if one opens. This means taxes, FAFSA, deposit money, etc. If you have another acceptance you should probably lock it in. I was under the impression that they are seating 86 but nothing is concrete if Trena doesn't state it explicitly
. Best wishes to anyone waiting, now or in the future.

Wow....and they are still interviewing. Congrats to all of you that were accepted. I think its pretty much over for me based on those numbers. Thank you to everyone that provided me with encouragement through the process. Whether or not I will obtain my dream of being a physician will depend on a variety of things, incl. whether or not my wife and I will be in a situation that will allow me to reapply next yr. For the last time on studentdoctor, I am signing off. It has been a great 6 yrs on these forums, but its time to move on.

Wow....and they are still interviewing. Congrats to all of you that were accepted. I think its pretty much over for me based on those numbers. Thank you to everyone that provided me with encouragement through the process. Whether or not I will obtain my dream of being a physician will depend on a variety of things, incl. whether or not my wife and I will be in a situation that will allow me to reapply next yr. For the last time on studentdoctor, I am signing off. It has been a great 6 yrs on these forums, but its time to move on.

listen up, you don't have to respond to this but i have a feeling you will at least read it. Persistence is the single most important trait a person can possess. Read Calvin Coolidge's quote on it one day. I decided 4 years ago to change fields to medicine and since then I have lived on barely more than minimum wage as a research assistant while paying for classes and mcats by digging holes and laying water pipes on evenings and weekends. I have eaten more peanut butter in 4 years than you will in a lifetime.

If you honestly think that this may not be for you, then you have to make that call. I am not married, so I can't relate (I have exhausted the patience of a few great girls in this process however.)

you will always get to know you gave it a shot. Whether or not you would be less happy if you continue to persist is up to you.

Go home and have a drink, relax and think. You already know your weaknesses and you know what to do about them. Now you get to decide. Nobody gets to do that for you.

whatever you decide, be lucky, and when you can't be lucky, make your own luck.

listen up, you don't have to respond to this but i have a feeling you will at least read it. Persistence is the single most important trait a person can possess. Read Calvin Coolidge's quote on it one day. I decided 4 years ago to change fields to medicine and since then I have lived on barely more than minimum wage as a research assistant while paying for classes and mcats by digging holes and laying water pipes on evenings and weekends. I have eaten more peanut butter in 4 years than you will in a lifetime.

If you honestly think that this may not be for you, then you have to make that call. I am not married, so I can't relate (I have exhausted the patience of a few great girls in this process however.)

you will always get to know you gave it a shot. Whether or not you would be less happy if you continue to persist is up to you.

Go home and have a drink, relax and think. You already know your weaknesses and you know what to do about them. Now you get to decide. Nobody gets to do that for you.

whatever you decide, be lucky, and when you can't be lucky, make your own luck.

Your right, I did read your post and I want to respond. You make very good points, one of which I have stated myself; that persistence is a key to success. Much like yourself, I have gone through my struggles to get into med. school. I have endured constant motor tics secondary to Tourette's syndrome which I have had since I was young. I remember doctors telling me to sit in the back of the classroom so I wouldn't be noticed. My motor tics got severe during my second yr of undergrad and I had to end up dropping some classes and reevaluate my life. In the end, I decided that going through the rigirous training of a physician would be too hard on my body. I, instead, decided to go to pharmacy school (at least it didn't require the long hours of residency). I realized during my first yr that I was able to handle the load with no problems and eventually decided that I would reapply to medical school after I finished my Pharm.D.
Being married with a kid puts me in a different situation than those coming straight out of undergrad with no such responsibilities. Even if PCOM were to offer me a spot a week before classes, I wouldn't be able to attend. I must have enough time to figure out what my family and I will do and how we will be able to afford attending school. Selling a home in this economy is not easy. My wife endured pharmacy school with me in a unknown city for four years. I cant tell you how many nights she spent alone, but she supported me. She is willing to go through it again to let me make my dream of becoming a physician a reality and I can't imagine having a better wife.
Will I give up? NO. I only had one interview this cycle with PCOM. Rejection takes a toll on you no matter who you are. MCV gave me a shot when I applied to pharmacy school (with a subpar PCAT score) and I ended up blowing their socks off. No one know my abilities better than me and I know I can represent PCOM well. I just wish the adcom would see that.
A person doesn't need luck if the people who are determining their future have faith in the individual's past and credentials. At this point, I can do nothing more than wait and prepare for the worst. Again, congrats to everyone accepted.

We were told on interview day that the class would have 90 seats and that it was not full.

Being on hold is very frustrating but keep your head up and remember that it is an honor to be given an interview and an even greater honor to still be considered for the class after the interview.

nucleus says 82 seats filled. Be prepared to jump on any seats if one opens. This means taxes, FAFSA, deposit money, etc. If you have another acceptance you should probably lock it in. I was under the impression that they are seating 86 but nothing is concrete if Trena doesn't state it explicitly
. Best wishes to anyone waiting, now or in the future.
What exactly is "nucleus"? And does it distinguish between everyone who has been accepted or is it the number of people who have sent in their $2k/confirmed that they will be matriculating this fall?

What exactly is "nucleus"? And does it distinguish between everyone who has been accepted or is it the number of people who have sent in their $2k/confirmed that they will be matriculating this fall?

Beneath the clothes, we find a man. And beneath the man, we find his nucleus.

Nucleus is where we log in for stuff. We can access financial aid, blackboard, etc.. Your school for undergrad probably had something similar.

Beneath the clothes, we find a man. And beneath the man, we find his nucleus.

Nucleus is where we log in for stuff. We can access financial aid, blackboard, etc.. Your school for undergrad probably had something similar.

I figured it was something similar, but since my undergrad's "nucleus" didn't show students in my class, I couldn't be 100% sure.

Btw T3A, I interviewed a couple weeks back, and even though you were busy studying for your tests that day and wasn't able to join us on the tour, I appreciated the few minutes you stopped by us applicants just to make sure we had all our questions answered. Little things like this leave a large impression on visitors, so thanks :thumbup:

So has anyone who interviewed recently heard anything?

I just sent Trena an email withdrawing my acceptance. I have been putting this off for a while (sorry for anyone who is waiting for good news), I really loved the school and everyone (faculty, staff, students, future-students) has been really nice, even when I called about withdrawing my acceptance. It was a very difficult decision for me. I wish everyone the best of luck there! Hopefully everyone will be as wonderful at my other school as they are at GA-PCOM.

I figured it was something similar, but since my undergrad's "nucleus" didn't show students in my class, I couldn't be 100% sure.

Btw T3A, I interviewed a couple weeks back, and even though you were busy studying for your tests that day and wasn't able to join us on the tour, I appreciated the few minutes you stopped by us applicants just to make sure we had all our questions answered. Little things like this leave a large impression on visitors, so thanks :thumbup:
I am glad to help out. I do my best to try and address things that I felt weren't addressed particularly well on any of the numerous interviews I had, so I hope I can be helpful. Feel free to drop me a line if any of you have any questions.

Your right, I did read your post and I want to respond. You make very good points, one of which I have stated myself; that persistence is a key to success. Much like yourself, I have gone through my struggles to get into med. school. I have endured constant motor tics secondary to Tourette's syndrome which I have had since I was young. I remember doctors telling me to sit in the back of the classroom so I wouldn't be noticed. My motor tics got severe during my second yr of undergrad and I had to end up dropping some classes and reevaluate my life. In the end, I decided that going through the rigirous training of a physician would be too hard on my body. I, instead, decided to go to pharmacy school (at least it didn't require the long hours of residency). I realized during my first yr that I was able to handle the load with no problems and eventually decided that I would reapply to medical school after I finished my Pharm.D.
Being married with a kid puts me in a different situation than those coming straight out of undergrad with no such responsibilities. Even if PCOM were to offer me a spot a week before classes, I wouldn't be able to attend. I must have enough time to figure out what my family and I will do and how we will be able to afford attending school. Selling a home in this economy is not easy. My wife endured pharmacy school with me in a unknown city for four years. I cant tell you how many nights she spent alone, but she supported me. She is willing to go through it again to let me make my dream of becoming a physician a reality and I can't imagine having a better wife.
Will I give up? NO. I only had one interview this cycle with PCOM. Rejection takes a toll on you no matter who you are. MCV gave me a shot when I applied to pharmacy school (with a subpar PCAT score) and I ended up blowing their socks off. No one know my abilities better than me and I know I can represent PCOM well. I just wish the adcom would see that.
A person doesn't need luck if the people who are determining their future have faith in the individual's past and credentials. At this point, I can do nothing more than wait and prepare for the worst. Again, congrats to everyone accepted.

Hey buddy, I'd love to have you as our class mate. Don't give up yet! We all have fought so hard and sacrificed too much along the way to get here. You're blessed to have wife and family who understand you well. Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you a little bit. If this year doesn't work, then try next year if you truly wants to become physician! BTW, somebody withdrew from acceptance today, so there is one more open seats for people who are on waiting list. :thumbup:

Here's the word on the street. I was asked to post this from a current applicant.

All holds, including the "late" interviewers will be reviewed and decisions made next week

Hope that helps!

Well, its official...I got accepted into the Biomed program at GA-PCOM. While I am stoked that I might get to meet some of you, I am still sad that I was unable to make it into the big leagues. My MCAT score was the low point of my application (23) and I foolishly thought my GPA would make up for it (science GPA is 3.53 and overall is 3.57). Does any of the following help my application: volunteering, a letter from a DO vs MD, applying early (still don't understand this), being in the Biomed program (really don't understand this), and research. This was my first time applying. I finished my application early December and was offered an interview at the end of January and then put on a waitlist. :( Any and all advice is welcome here. Congrats to all those who got into med school (GA-PCOM or otherwise)

Well, its official...I got accepted into the Biomed program at GA-PCOM. While I am stoked that I might get to meet some of you, I am still sad that I was unable to make it into the big leagues. My MCAT score was the low point of my application (23) and I foolishly thought my GPA would make up for it (science GPA is 3.53 and overall is 3.57). Does any of the following help my application: volunteering, a letter from a DO vs MD, applying early (still don't understand this), being in the Biomed program (really don't understand this), and research. This was my first time applying. I finished my application early December and was offered an interview at the end of January and then put on a waitlist. :( Any and all advice is welcome here. Congrats to all those who got into med school (GA-PCOM or otherwise)

I can at least try and clarify this part of it. Your stats weren't too far off from mine (MCAT of 25, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.3), but I was complete at the end of August. When you apply early, and they have a ton of seats to fill, so they are more willing to give out interviews early and accept early. GA-PCOM's class is about 85, so they're going to want to accept around 170, since half of the students will draw due to other offers, etc. By the time Dec/Jan hits, about half the class is full, meaning the Adcom can be much pickier about who they let in (for example, I heard they had a cut off of 8 in each MCAT section, a minimum standard I would not have met). They have that kind of a luxury because applications are still pouring in by the hundreds while they only have 40 more spots to offer.

AACOMAS opens in the beginning of May. If you decide to apply to medical school again in the future, be sure to have your AACOMAS application complete before the end of the month (it takes about 4 weeks to process and get to the schools you're applying to). Try and have your secondary application essays in before the end of the summer (again, the earlier the better). I can't tell you what a difference it makes to be one of the first in line. The Adcom is more willing to pass out acceptances early than later.

Good luck to you in the future! :luck:

plz let me knw IS STILL ther is any seats left.>>>>>>>>??????I m waiting for the reply but they said tht my application is not completed......I sent my pcat score n they r saying tht they havnt got???????

I M APPLYING FOR PHARMD PROGRAM..........

CAn some1 tell me where to sent my pcat score.....

I agree with Jesscsanchez and think applying early is helpful. It proved to be so this cycle for several people on this forum that were reapplicants. Being in the biomed will help you a lot as well as long as you do well. A friend of mine spent time in the biomed program and then reapplied. He's currently finishing his first year at GA-PCOM.

Don't think about entering the biomed as something you feel like you have to do. Think about it as something that WILL make you a stronger applicant. Participating in the biomed program will allow you to have a better foundation for much of the information you will see in med school.

Also, keep up with volunteering and try to shadow some of the physicians associated with the college. Having these people in your corner can always help.

Good luck!

plz let me knw IS STILL ther is any seats left.>>>>>>>>??????I m waiting for the reply but they said tht my application is not completed......I sent my pcat score n they r saying tht they havnt got???????

I M APPLYING FOR PHARMD PROGRAM..........

CAn some1 tell me where to sent my pcat score.....

This is pre-DO forum, but yes seats are still available in the PharmD class. Contact Aisha in the admissions office...she should be able to help with your PCAT score. She probably has exact info on how many seats are left as well.

As a recent biomed, I must say that the program helped me alot. Not only did it allow me to become familiar with the professors but I believe it will help me when I start school in August. Many of the same professors who teach the biomed students also teach the DO's. So in a way, they are preparing you for med-school. Also, these same professors are the ones who may interview you and sit on the admissions committee. So all in all, if you prove yourself in the biomed program it can only help you to get in to GA-PCOM or any other school you may apply to.

cthunder. I'm going to second what everyone else has said and apply early!! Don't sacrifice your personal statement / work activities / strong letters, but try to get that app in ASAP. I applied fairly early (late July) with a 23 MCAT and got an interview invite to PCOM late November to give you an idea on the timeline. I got waitlisted Mid December, retook my MCAT and raised it to a 27 but this didn't get released until Late Feb. Since this score didn't come out until Feb (late in the app cycle), I pretty much lost my chances for any other schools. I did get an interview at LECOM-B but it was so late that they waitlisted everyone in my interview group. Get some more shadowing and clinical experience in, do well in the Biomedical Program (I think I read somewhere that 4/9 Biomeds that graduated a while back ended up matriculating into the DO prgoram the next year and 4 others went on to some other field) and you should have a great chance! See you around this Fall!!

If you have a good gpa it may not be worth spending the time in the program. I remember when I interviewed, the two professors that interviewed me said it prob. wouldnt be worth it and to work on just raising my mcat. You have to decide if the money you put in will be worth the (less than 50% chance according to above post) for admission. Sure you will make some connections, but if you screw up in even one class your done. On the other hand, if you dont already have an advanced degree it may help, but that is not guarenteed. There are some people on hold with graduate degrees (even a doctor of pharmacy and several people with masters degrees) that has not been able to gain admission. GL

If you have a good GPA i would save yourself a lot of money and take an mcat study course and get a job that advances your goal of med school.

I spoke with a biomedical student at PCOM that thought the program would get him in after a year and it didn't. Why? Because he still had a terrible mcat. If you think you need to spend 20k to bump your mcat and EC resume... then I say "see you in the fall".

"D.O." does not equal "no mcat standards"

Last edited:
Well, this is it...do or die for those on hold this week.

It seems the bold statement really rings true for Ga-PCOM. I've noticed its a common statement in this thread that a reason they're on hold is a low MCAT (I think most say they want at least an 8 in every section).

If I didn't get in this year, I think the first think I'd do is try to raise my MCAT 1-3 points... even one point on the MCAT seems to carry a lot of weight.

A 29 shouldn't be an issue at any DO school

The same could be said of some MD schools..Sorry, but a 29 doesn't always equal admission. Your statement is quite derogatory and condescending towards those applying to DO programs.

The same could be said of some MD schools..Sorry, but a 29 doesn't always equal admission. Your statement is quite derogatory and condescending towards those applying to DO programs.

Actually that is quite false. Show me a DO school with an average MCAT of a 30. I wasn't being condescending, but solely pointing out the truth. A 29 MCAT is a damn good MCAT, and it's a fine score for most, if not all DO schools. Will it get you in? Of course not. There's no one golden component to getting into any medical school.

Get the chip off your shoulder. DO schools are fantastic educational programs, and I said nothing to state otherwise. My MD school (MCG) barely has their average MCAT over a 30 (we have a 30.4). So, there are plenty of people in my class with a ~29.

Actually that is quite false. Show me a DO school with an average MCAT of a 30. I wasn't being condescending, but solely pointing out the truth. A 29 MCAT is a damn good MCAT, and it's a fine score for most, if not all DO schools. Will it get you in? Of course not. There's no one golden component to getting into any medical school.

Get the chip off your shoulder. DO schools are fantastic educational programs, and I said nothing to state otherwise. My MD school (MCG) barely has their average MCAT over a 30 (we have a 30.4). So, there are plenty of people in my class with a ~29.

I just wanted to make sure you were not being sarcastic. I will wipe off the veggie chip, thanks for noticing (by the way, those chips are great if you haven't tried them!).

Just wanted to give an update to all of you on hold /waitlist /alternate etc. According to nucleus there are 76 members in the class, leaving 10 seats
+ or - a few. hang in there!!

just out of curiosity . . . does anyone know when the adcom is meeting this week to make final decisions? With the DO meet and greet coming up this Friday it would be really great if they could notify the new acceptances before that date so that they could have the opportunity to attend. It will be really great to finally have the whole class! Good luck to everyone waiting.

Does PCOM over accept the class during the application process? Or, do they have the normal waitlist movement like MCG and Mercer. If they do, I would expect quite a bit of movement (MCG gets ~70 for their 190 spots off the waitlist).

Does PCOM over accept the class during the application process? Or, do they have the normal waitlist movement like MCG and Mercer. If they do, I would expect quite a bit of movement (MCG gets ~70 for their 190 spots off the waitlist).

Last year when I attended the open house the dean told us that they usually accept around 89 students (if I remember correctly) because before or after the class starts few people drops out due to various reasons. The normal class seats are 86, and they seem to accept just few more students. I don't know what happens if nobody drops...But this is just what I heard from the dean himself.

Hey guys, I'm a first yr biomed and I got accepted to PCOM GA for next year. Just some info, the interviews are finally done and the adcom will meet tomorrow (Wed) to make a final decision for all those who interviewed and for those on hold. So most people should find out by the end of this week. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!! Any other questions let me know. I'll be at the meet and greet friday also!! Hope to see some of you there!