PCOM - Georgia Campus 2009 -2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some quick questions...and I apologize if these were asked earlier...
Does anyone know:
1. How many are in the class?
2. How many are usually put on the waitlist?
3. In the past, how many were accepted off the waitlist? (I realize that the numbers vary from year to year, but just trying to get a feel for it...)

Congrats to all those accepted and stay positive to all those on the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some quick questions...and I apologize if these were asked earlier...
Does anyone know:
1. How many are in the class?
2. How many are usually put on the waitlist?
3. In the past, how many were accepted off the waitlist? (I realize that the numbers vary from year to year, but just trying to get a feel for it...)

Congrats to all those accepted and stay positive to all those on the waitlist!

1. typically class size is between 86 and 90, with 86 being for new incoming students, period. Sometimes if students have to remediate for the year, the number will increase from 86 to maybe 88-90, depending solely on if there are students who must repeat the year.
2. honestly, i don't have a clue...but if i had to venture a guess, at this point the number of realistic students that are competitive, who don't have spots at other schools, and are still on the waitlist...maybe 30? totally a guess, so don't think I know anything regarding the matter.
3. I think last year during the summer there was only 1, maybe 2? For my class, there were a few more than that. Hate to tell you, but the most likely time for the waitlist to move at this point is during orientations...some folks just decide not to show up. For others movement happens at other schools and last second decisions are made to change schools. Then you see the occasional student who goes to orientation and decides, "this isnt for me, i want out." It happens!

Anyways, take that for what its worth...best of luck to you all!:thumbup:

Last edited:
1. typically class size us between 86 and 90. Sometimes if students have to remediate for the year, the number of new seats is lower to save room for the students repeating. If there happen to be a handful of students repeating OMS-1, then that would probably leave a few less seats for new incoming students.
2. honestly, i don't have a clue...but if i had to venture a guess, at this point the number of realistic students that are competitive, who don't have spots at other schools, and are still on the waitlist...maybe 30? totally a guess, so don't think I know anything regarding the matter.
3. I think last year during the summer there was only 1, maybe 2? For my class, there were a few more than that. Hate to tell you, but the most likely time for the waitlist to move at this point is during orientations...some folks just decide not to show up. For others movement happens at other schools and last second decisions are made to change schools. Then you see the occasional student who goes to orientation and decides, "this isnt for me, i want out." It happens!

Anyways, take that for what its worth...best of luck to you all!:thumbup:

Does the waitlist move like the MD school ones (ie May 15th)? If so, I wouldn't give up until the 2nd week of June (MCG has two movements... One around May 15th and another during the second week of June). This correlates with the date that AAMC wants us to only hold one acceptance, and the later one is when Allopathic schools demand a student to make a decision.

Does the waitlist move like the MD school ones (ie May 15th)? If so, I wouldn't give up until the 2nd week of June (MCG has two movements... One around May 15th and another during the second week of June). This correlates with the date that AAMC wants us to only hold one acceptance, and the later one is when Allopathic schools demand a student to make a decision.
There is also the possibility that a couple of the late acceptances don't accept. Their formal acceptances and $$ probably aren't due until next week.

There is also the possibility that a couple of the late acceptances don't accept. Their formal acceptances and $$ probably aren't due until next week.
The letter I received asked for both deposits to be sent in by tomorrow, May 7. There's always the possibility someone doesn't send theirs in resulting in some WL movement next week.

FYI, i edited my previous post on class size to reflect more accurate information.

I asked Trena question #3 the other day. Like you mentioned, she said it varies from year to year. Last year they needed to fill 13 spots and had to go to the waitlist. She also mentioned that last year their class filled up more faster that it is this year. I wonder how many people on the waitlist they had to go through to fill those 13 spots.

Well, looks like this is it for the waitlisters. Hopefully, a good number decided to go elsewhere. Good luck for those still waiting.

Hey I had my interview 03/30, but still have not received a letter. I live in Jacksonville too, so it's relatively close to Atlanta. Is there anyone else that is still waiting on a letter? Thanks

I got put on the alternate list, does it look like there will be movement?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you already have another acceptance lock it in. No way to know about mvt. As they say, it will vary year to year.

Hey I had my interview 03/30, but still have not received a letter. I live in Jacksonville too, so it's relatively close to Atlanta. Is there anyone else that is still waiting on a letter? Thanks

I am still waiting for a letter. Received an e-mail saying that they should be mailed by the end of the first week of May.

GA-PCOM WAS my first choice, but I am pretty locked in at NSU now. I wish all of those who are still awaiting a decision (and don't have any backups) the best of luck!

I am still waiting for a letter. Received an e-mail saying that they should be mailed by the end of the first week of May.

GA-PCOM WAS my first choice, but I am pretty locked in at NSU now. I wish all of those who are still awaiting a decision (and don't have any backups) the best of luck!
Yea it was my first choice school as well. Now, I am locked into another school too

Maybe they are waiting to send out those letters, in order to know how many accepted this most recent offer of admissions. I bet one of you get an acceptance next week!

Maybe they are waiting to send out those letters, in order to know how many accepted this most recent offer of admissions. I bet one of you get an acceptance next week!

:thumbup:

I hope so!

I just found out I am on the wait list. I am sorry if this has been already asked, but does anyone know how the order people are picked off the wait list is determined? Thanks.

I just found out I am on the wait list. I am sorry if this has been already asked, but does anyone know how the order people are picked off the wait list is determined? Thanks.

You are already locked into a school for your earlier post. Take it and move on.

You obviously dont read posts very well. I am noty even in contention for a spot. My point is stop stressing out and just move on. Be happy for an acceptance. Please dont make assumptions and accuse one of trying to get people out of my way. BS

Last edited:
You obviously dont read posts very well. I am noty even in contention for a spot. My point is stop stressing out and just move on. Be happy for an acceptance. Please dont make assumptions and accuse one of trying to get people out of my way. BS

Why did you get rid of calling me an a-hole? That was my favorite part.

I apologize I dont hang on your every word, i guess its crazy of me to assume people on here are either current students, accepted students, or those waiting to hear.

I took your post as discouraging a potential classmate who must really want to be at GA-PCOM from holding on for a spot. My bad, I apologize...simmer down.

Be careful what you say, it may come back to haunt you. Also, please refer to lawyerdoc's post above re: professionalism.

I'm pulling off my spot from the waitlist so there will be on less person in the running. I just dont have the money to put deposits on two different schools. I'll be at KCUMB.

I'm pulling off my spot from the waitlist so there will be on less person in the running. I just dont have the money to put deposits on two different schools. I'll be at KCUMB.
Sorry to hear that you can't hold out Surfer. At the same time, thank you. Congrats on surmounting the acceptance hurdle best of luck down the road.

Has anybody heard anything from the admissions dept about their status or any movement on the list?

Has anybody heard anything from the admissions dept about their status or any movement on the list?

I received an e-mail about 2 weeks ago from PCOM saying that I should receive a letter in the mail with my current file status within the next week. Still nothing....

nope...nothing about the status. I did not even received the final decision letter status of that they said it was going to be sent by the first week of May. :rolleyes:

nope...nothing about the status. I did not even received the final decision letter status of that they said it was going to be sent by the first week of May. :rolleyes:

Yeah i did not receive that letter either. I actually had to call the office of admissions and they told me they didn't know why that happened but Trena emailed me the letter about waitlist status. I sent it back but my guess is that if they don't care enough about my application to actually send a waitlist letter in the mail then my chances are probably pretty poor. oh well hope you have better luck

For first year DO students at GA-PCOM the school year starts August 16, 2010 and ends May 20, 2011 leaving almost 3 months off for summer break... correct??

For first year DO students at GA-PCOM the school year starts August 16, 2010 and ends May 20, 2011 leaving almost 3 months off for summer break... correct??
According to the tentative schedule we got in our interview packets, you are correct. Fall term 2011 begins August 15, leaving just under 3 months for summer break after MS-1.

Yeah i did not receive that letter either. I actually had to call the office of admissions and they told me they didn't know why that happened but Trena emailed me the letter about waitlist status. I sent it back but my guess is that if they don't care enough about my application to actually send a waitlist letter in the mail then my chances are probably pretty poor. oh well hope you have better luck

This is not a matter of luck, it is called lack of professionalism of some of the people from the admissions office. This is how some of the new schools (e.g Ga PCOM) build up a sort of reputation regarding the way they handle the whole process of admission. ;)

This is not a matter of luck, it is called lack of professionalism of some of the people from the admissions office. This is how some of the new schools (e.g Ga PCOM) build up a sort of reputation regarding the way they handle the whole process of admission. ;)

Simodk,

I certainly understand your frustration. The wait when others have your future in the palm of their hand so to speak is insufferable. I caution you not to conclude and to publically state that there exists a lack of professionalism.

First, Admissions folks at medical schools read SDN. Believe it or not they are quite adept at figuring out from reading several posts who the person is who may be critical of them. You do yourself no favors with a negative comment.

Second, PCOM GA has up to 86 seats which is really 80 seats plus an allowed overage in offers of admission of up to 8%. I am told that PCOM GA received in the neighborhood of 4,000 applications for the D.O. program. That means that all applications being equal you have a 1 out of 50 shot of getting accepted. Your application has to stand out from 49 others. Add to that the pharmacy school and the post bach. programs and you can see that there are a lot of files to review.

The takeaway from all this is that you have to take ownership of your application. A polite phone call and/or e-mail or even a letter addressing your concerns to the appropriate admissions professional may go a long way toward a favorable decision on your application.

You have to present your best case. No one knows you like you do. You have to make sure that your file is complete and gets looked at. The squeely wheel gets the grease; and, you catch more bees with sugar than you do vinegar.

I was a reapplicant. I applied late last year. I didn't get in. I set about to improve my chances by strenghtening my application and by applying early. I communicated as often as I felt the need to without being a pest. The admission professionals were always responsive, friendly and polite. Lack of professionalism - absolutely not! Walk a mile in their shoes before you make such a bold statement.

Still, I wish you the best in your application. Reach out to PCOM and the folks there will respond. Good luck to you and the others still waiting.

Simodk,

I certainly understand your frustration. The wait when others have your future in the palm of their hand so to speak is insufferable. I caution you not to conclude and to publically state that there exists a lack of professionalism.

First, Admissions folks at medical schools read SDN. Believe it or not they are quite adept at figuring out from reading several posts who the person is who may be critical of them. You do yourself no favors with a negative comment.

Second, PCOM GA has up to 86 seats which is really 80 seats plus an allowed overage in offers of admission of up to 8%. I am told that PCOM GA received in the neighborhood of 4,000 applications for the D.O. program. That means that all applications being equal you have a 1 out of 50 shot of getting accepted. Your application has to stand out from 49 others. Add to that the pharmacy school and the post bach. programs and you can see that there are a lot of files to review.

The takeaway from all this is that you have to take ownership of your application. A polite phone call and/or e-mail or even a letter addressing your concerns to the appropriate admissions professional may go a long way toward a favorable decision on your application.

You have to present your best case. No one knows you like you do. You have to make sure that your file is complete and gets looked at. The squeely wheel gets the grease; and, you catch more bees with sugar than you do vinegar.

I was a reapplicant. I applied late last year. I didn't get in. I set about to improve my chances by strenghtening my application and by applying early. I communicated as often as I felt the need to without being a pest. The admission professionals were always responsive, friendly and polite. Lack of professionalism - absolutely not! Walk a mile in their shoes before you make such a bold statement.

Still, I wish you the best in your application. Reach out to PCOM and the folks there will respond. Good luck to you and the others still waiting.

My experiences with all of the admissions staff have been excellent.

My experiences with all of the admissions staff have been excellent.

I have to agree with Jayscin. Trena has been more than helpful during the application process. Will there be glitches in the system? Sure, no one school is perfect when dealing with thousands and thousands of applicants. Also, like lawyerdoc said, be careful what you say in these forums (trust me lol). Be professional, polite and maybe that will show through as a positive image of your personality that impresses the ADCOM. Above all, remain calm (this was the hardest part for me, esp. all the waiting) b/c waiting will pay off whether it be this yr or next. GL.

I understand where simodk is coming from, but I may disagree a little bit with the harshness of the post. It is very aggravating to get a commital e-mail saying that you will get a final decision letter in the mail by X date. That date, comes and goes by several weeks, and still there is no letter. And then on top of that you hear that many others have not received the letters either. (And it is not the first time that many of us have received e-mails that say one thing, and the school does something else.)

That being said, Trena has been nothing but very pleasant and helpful. It personally seems to me that the school is overwhelmed by the amount of applications this year... I would not want to have her job!

I understand where simodk is coming from, but I may disagree a little bit with the harshness of the post. It is very aggravating to get a commital e-mail saying that you will get a final decision letter in the mail by X date. That date, comes and goes by several weeks, and still there is no letter. And then on top of that you hear that many others have not received the letters either. (And it is not the first time that many of us have received e-mails that say one thing, and the school does something else.)

That being said, Trena has been nothing but very pleasant and helpful. It personally seems to me that the school is overwhelmed by the amount of applications this year... I would not want to have her job!

So true, I don't know how Trena keeps up with all of us and the school administration too. She is a peach for sure. I understand simodk's angst. The solution is to reach out to the admissions professionals and make an inquiry.

hey guys, for anyone that has been attending PCOM-GA, do you know what are the board scores for each class since 2008? Does anyone think that what you score on MCAT will reflect on your board score (COMLEX & USMLE)? I am worry because my MCAT experience was horrible. Thanks a lot.

hey guys, for anyone that has been attending PCOM-GA, do you know what are the board scores for each class since 2008? Does anyone think that what you score on MCAT will reflect on your board score (COMLEX & USMLE)? I am worry because my MCAT experience was horrible. Thanks a lot.

I don't think that information is available. In my experience, MCAT scores did not seem to correlate with board scores. GPA is probably the strongest predictor of performance (I think Dr. Evans wrote an article about this). Just study hard and do your best. :thumbup:

GREAT NEWS.... I got a call yesterday morning and I was accepted off the waitlist!