2023-2024 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Less than half according to an admissions member I spoke to before Thanksgiving.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
the board of trustees scholarship email was sent to me but I still haven’t heard anything about II… did anyone else get the email without II?

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any one a current student that can speak about the preclinical grading scale and how you feel about it?

Reactions: 1 user
Nah I sent a LOI and just received an info email regarding the ability to do a DO and MPH degree at western which I already applied to for this cycle…

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone who interviewed 11/14 & 11/17 heard back?

Nope, I interviewed on the same dates and have heard nothing aside from the Board of Trustees scholarship email/portal add-on and DO/MPH email.

Nope, I interviewed on the same dates and have heard nothing aside from the Board of Trustees scholarship email/portal add-on and DO/MPH email.
I called admissions a couple days ago and they said it’s coming out this week for sure. But they also implied decisions would come out yesterday / today.

I called admissions a couple days ago and they said it’s coming out this week for sure. But they also implied decisions would come out yesterday / today.

Good to know! I was hopeful for this week but have been trying to be patient until Friday since that seems to be the day that they typically call.

Any one a current student that can speak about the preclinical grading scale and how you feel about it?
The grading scale is good honestly, no real complaints. It doesn't bring out too many gunners afaik and promotes a very collaborative environment because the classes aren't curved so you're only competing against yourself. People tend to be really helpful and share a lot of resources because most of us are just trying to survive.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The grading scale is good honestly, no real complaints. It doesn't bring out too many gunners afaik and promotes a very collaborative environment because the classes aren't curved so you're only competing against yourself. People tend to be really helpful and share a lot of resources because most of us are just trying to survive.
I’m gonna have to disagree with my classmate here on the grading system haha I think the cut offs for high pass and honors are too high for preclinical. It essentially is an ABC system but the cutoff for B (high pass) is 85% and honors (A) is 93% which kinda stresses out the high achievers and makes it harder for the more average students to stand out/avoid “just passing”. Also the class is ranked but I think they only report your quartile on residency apps. One of my very few complaints about the school in general, totally love it otherwise!! People are indeed extremely helpful and collaborative

Reactions: 3 users
Any other 11/14 interviewers refreshing their emails? Still no news here

Reactions: 2 users
Any recent II? I haven’t seen any new ones in a while

Starting to feel like 11/14 interview decisions may not be coming this week…

Does anyone know if western really rejects interview people this early on? Or do they just put people down mostly as alternate

Has anyone received an actual rejection yet? Just want to know if silence = soft rejection

It’s been almost a month :( usually people hear back so soon
Interviewers typically receive request to call accepted applicants on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Did not happen this week. So no decision has been made. Could be because Dean was unavailable to sign off. Hang in there.

I’m gonna have to disagree with my classmate here on the grading system haha I think the cut offs for high pass and honors are too high for preclinical. It essentially is an ABC system but the cutoff for B (high pass) is 85% and honors (A) is 93% which kinda stresses out the high achievers and makes it harder for the more average students to stand out/avoid “just passing”. Also the class is ranked but I think they only report your quartile on residency apps. One of my very few complaints about the school in general, totally love it otherwise!! People are indeed extremely helpful and collaborative
Agree. The grading system was one of the biggest cons of the school IMO, its worse that an ABC system, which is already bad enough as it is. Puts alot of pressure to stand out as was said above. Beside the usual "it depends" grading on SP Soap notes and medical competencies (graded by 2nd year Ta's so it varies) the grading is fair and i honestly do better than i think i will on every exam.

Has anyone received an actual rejection yet? Just want to know if silence = soft rejection
In regards to interviews and acceptances, my secondary was complete 7/7/22 and i didn't get an II until literally end of April 2023. Interviewed early May and didn't get my acceptance until early July lol. Dont loose hope yet, and good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Did the other 11/14 interviewers get the email that admissions decisions have been delayed further ?

Withdrew my acceptance here. Hopefully it goes to one of you wonderful people!

Still waiting for II LOL. Southern California born and bred. Submitted secondary in late September. Been accepted to 4 other schools out in the Midwest but trying to stay in Cali. Is the class full now maybe?

Reactions: 4 users
one of the admissions dean was saying how they only filled about 50 students so far. that was as of 12/8... so pretty recent news
Still waiting for II LOL. Southern California born and bred. Submitted secondary in late September. Been accepted to 4 other schools out in the Midwest but trying to stay in Cali. Is the class full now maybe?

Reactions: 7 users
How frequent are exams here?
With the exception of your first block in which youre getting tested like every week just about, most exams will fall into your "assessment week" at the end of each block. Pros and Cons with that for sure. Its nice not having to worry about exams during most of our 5-9 week blocks, but it means you have to be very on top of studying otherwise you can fall behind fast. The exceptions being that longer blocks do have a midterm and all blocks have at least one SP encounter midway through and clinical competency testing.

This school is the worst with sending useless emails throughout the cycle. No communication for 6 months but a monthly spam about a program I have no interest in

Application still with admissions committee email this morning!

Secondary Submitted: 10/10
Sent to Admissions Committee: 10/18
1x Still Under Review Email: 11/14
2x Still Under Review Email: 12/14

Hi got accepted but before I make the deposit, I would like to talk to someone who currently goes there. Also I thought I read there was a discord group that was created by someone on here which I would like to join. Can someone tell me the groups name? Thanks!

That was me 🙋‍♀️ accepted students, DM me for the unofficial discord link

Hi got accepted but before I make the deposit, I would like to talk to someone who currently goes there. Also I thought I read there was a discord group that was created by someone on here which I would like to join. Can someone tell me the groups name? Thanks!
Be happy to talk :)

Any recent II? I haven’t seen any new ones in a while
IS II on 12/5. I finally able to register for interview date today tho. Waited over a week for an available slot.

Didn’t they say 12/18 for nov interview decisions ? Still waiting :(

My portal changed online .. it says awaiting “reply to offer of admission 2024” no email though

anyone from the december interview group see a change in their portal?

Got the A via portal then via email status update! If there’s an admitted student group I’d love to join!