2023-2024 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven’t heard from this school. Do they typically send out rejections late in the cycle. And do people still fill out the scholarship application even when we haven’t heard from the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t heard from this school. Do they typically send out rejections late in the cycle. And do people still fill out the scholarship application even when we haven’t heard from the school?
Someone informed me they send out rejections at the very end.

Reactions: 2 users
IS II today, complete early August. Will most likely decline

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't received many emails from the school but when I called them a few weeks ago they said I was "eligible for an interview." They basically made it sound like they would offer me an interview but then I received an email indicating that my application was still under consideration by the admissions committee. Curious if anyone else is having a similar experience.

I haven't received many emails from the school but when I called them a few weeks ago they said I was "eligible for an interview." They basically made it sound like they would offer me an interview but then I received an email indicating that my application was still under consideration by the admissions committee. Curious if anyone else is having a similar experience.
I had a similar experience back in December. I just received an email today that my application is still under consideration. Does anyone know if it is likely to receive an interview this late in the cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
I had a similar experience back in December. I just received an email today that my application is still under consideration. Does anyone know if it is likely to receive an interview this late in the cycle?
I doubt it considering the fact that they WL folks.... I also continue to get those emails but at this point I think I might just take the L or have them send me a rejection lol

I totally agree, I feel like I am being led on in a relationship. I wish the application process was more direct with students by a certain deadline. Best of luck with everything!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
yall this school is so EXPENSIVE like damn bout to graduate with 400K in loans???

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
giphy.gif

Raise your hand if you have been personally victimized by WU’s emails stating “your application is still under review with the committee”

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
giphy.gif

Raise your hand if you have been personally victimized by WU’s emails stating “your application is still under review with the committee”
I reached out and my assigned admissions advisor was like "please be informed that they are still under review with the Admissions Committee, and a decision regarding an interview invitation has not been made. Once the committee has decided, you will be notified via email. Please continue checking your email for any message from WesternU and proceed accordingly. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thank you for your time, and have a great rest of your day."

like okay... just reject me already lol

• Haha
How long did it take for you guys to hear back after interviewing? Its been almost 2 weeks for me

Anyone hear back today in regards to interview a couple of weeks ago?

Could someone who attends/attended Western please let me know about the quality of the clinical rotation sites? Is there a high patient volume? Is it common to have to drive far to attend different core rotations sites? How common is it to stay at one place?

Could someone who attends/attended Western please let me know about the quality of the clinical rotation sites? Is there a high patient volume? Is it common to have to drive far to attend different core rotations sites? How common is it to stay at one place?
Westerns rotation sites are pretty good. I don't know two many details since I'm a first year. I know we have two longitudinal sites where you spend your entire 3rd year at one hospital system. Those are located in Bakersfield and Ventura. The bakersfield site apparently has a pretty high volume I believe and a lot of liberty in regards to what procedures you get to do and practice. I was talking to a 4th year who went there and matched into gen surg. She said she got to do chest tubes, intubations etc all on her own, and she feels very prepared for gen surg residency. Ventura is pretty good too, more desireable location Id say. Close to the beach. Its not a major major city so the volume is probably not super super high. Im just speculating though. I grew up around that area and its pretty well off. In general nicer areas arent as high volume and get less sick patients.

Other than the two longitudinal sites, theres a lot of different clinical rotation sites located near Pomona. Arrowhead Medical Center takes a lot of our students which is a county medical center that is really high volume and gets a lot of sick patients. Overall I wouldn't worry too much about westerns sites, they are a well established program so their sites are pretty solid.

Reactions: 4 users
Posting this again--those who have been accepted and plan on attending, please PM for the link to our Class of 2028 discord group!

Can anyone speak to how likely is it to be accepted from the alternate list? I know that people from the waitlist are considered first before the alternate list.

Westerns rotation sites are pretty good. I don't know two many details since I'm a first year. I know we have two longitudinal sites where you spend your entire 3rd year at one hospital system. Those are located in Bakersfield and Ventura. The bakersfield site apparently has a pretty high volume I believe and a lot of liberty in regards to what procedures you get to do and practice. I was talking to a 4th year who went there and matched into gen surg. She said she got to do chest tubes, intubations etc all on her own, and she feels very prepared for gen surg residency. Ventura is pretty good too, more desireable location Id say. Close to the beach. Its not a major major city so the volume is probably not super super high. Im just speculating though. I grew up around that area and its pretty well off. In general nicer areas arent as high volume and get less sick patients.

Other than the two longitudinal sites, theres a lot of different clinical rotation sites located near Pomona. Arrowhead Medical Center takes a lot of our students which is a county medical center that is really high volume and gets a lot of sick patients. Overall I wouldn't worry too much about westerns sites, they are a well established program so their sites are pretty solid.
This is so helpful and reassuring, thank you! As a follow-up, where do you go your 4th year?

This is so helpful and reassuring, thank you! As a follow-up, where do you go your 4th year?
I'm not too sure on all the details since its still far off for me. But I believe during 4th year, as at most schools, you're mostly on your own for setting up rotations. WesternU has some of their own rotations they can offer you like OMM, academic medicine (where you teach current 1st and 2nd years in CMR), and a variety of outpatient specialties at their on campus patient care center. You can also set up audition rotations with whichever hospital system and specialty you want to nationwide. I know one person who wanted to check out east coast residency programs and went to NYC for a couple rotations during their 4th year. You're responsible for reaching out to the physicians or residency programs you want to work with though. I believe you can also do a couple research rotations as well. You have a lot of freedom, its really up to you where you wanna go!

Is it worth sending another update letter if I haven't received an interview? Seeing some people got March interviews gives me some hope but not sure

I'm not too sure on all the details since its still far off for me. But I believe during 4th year, as at most schools, you're mostly on your own for setting up rotations. WesternU has some of their own rotations they can offer you like OMM, academic medicine (where you teach current 1st and 2nd years in CMR), and a variety of outpatient specialties at their on campus patient care center. You can also set up audition rotations with whichever hospital system and specialty you want to nationwide. I know one person who wanted to check out east coast residency programs and went to NYC for a couple rotations during their 4th year. You're responsible for reaching out to the physicians or residency programs you want to work with though. I believe you can also do a couple research rotations as well. You have a lot of freedom, its really up to you where you wanna go!
Good information. I am PGY2 residence now. I spent most of my 3rd year rotations at Ventura Community Memorial Hospital and have to rent a room in Ventura. My advice from my experience is to apply early for audition rotations for 4th year if you have prefer program. I mean search and apply asap in order to get your audition rotations dates before the programs making matching selections. It may be hard to get audition rotations for some special fields.

Is it worth sending another update letter if I haven't received an interview? Seeing some people got March interviews gives me some hope but not sure
honestly I think so! I submitted in december, sent a letter of interest in late january, & then got an II first week of april

honestly I think so! I submitted in december, sent a letter of interest in late january, & then got an II first week of april
did u send the loi directly to admissions email or through the portal??

Why are they still sending out II if its for the AL/WL?!? Thats so cruel lol

Why are they still sending out II if its for the AL/WL?!? Thats so cruel lol
I think they anticipate some accepted students to leave if they get a last-minute MD acceptance (or an acceptance to a school that is a better fit for them) so they're playing it safe

Does anyone know any current students who would be able to answer some qs abt the school for me? Thanks!

How often/intense are the exams at WesternU?

How often/intense are the exams at WesternU?
Exams typically occur during assessment week at the end of the block in which you have all 4 of your major barrier (aka must pass) exams for that block. For longer blocks you also have a midterm as well, but other than that this is the only time youre being assessed for a grade. Only other exception is the SP encounters/OSCEs of which you typically get two per block during first year (many more during second year supposedly). One falls in an assessment week, the other either during your midterm week or some other time in the block. They recently got rid of weekly graded quizzes at the students request, and everyone seems to like that from who I have talked to. However, it means you have to be more on top of your studying and not fall behind because the work piles up fast.

Id say exams are pretty fair. They mostly test on content that is emphasized across many different lectures. They rarely pick random small details that were only found in one chart of one slide of one lecture. If you watch the lectures and study them getting 3 passes of the material (while also doing anki/practice questions) youll do fine! Its still medical school so yes exams are going to cover an extreme breadth of content, however I believe they are generally pretty fair in how they test us. Most professors make it clear what is important to know for exams.

Im not sure tbh. My waitlist letter says "We are unable to offer you a place in the class at this time because the applicants who were offered an acceptance before your interview have since confirmed their intent to attend COMP; the class is currently filled" It is so early for the class to be full
hi. Are you still on the waitlist?

is anyone else on the waitlist confused on what to do in terms of housing? Like idk If there is a way to secure a place without signing a lease.

does anyone have any insight as to when we should expect WL movement?

Exams typically occur during assessment week at the end of the block in which you have all 4 of your major barrier (aka must pass) exams for that block. For longer blocks you also have a midterm as well, but other than that this is the only time youre being assessed for a grade. Only other exception is the SP encounters/OSCEs of which you typically get two per block during first year (many more during second year supposedly). One falls in an assessment week, the other either during your midterm week or some other time in the block. They recently got rid of weekly graded quizzes at the students request, and everyone seems to like that from who I have talked to. However, it means you have to be more on top of your studying and not fall behind because the work piles up fast.

Id say exams are pretty fair. They mostly test on content that is emphasized across many different lectures. They rarely pick random small details that were only found in one chart of one slide of one lecture. If you watch the lectures and study them getting 3 passes of the material (while also doing anki/practice questions) youll do fine! Its still medical school so yes exams are going to cover an extreme breadth of content, however I believe they are generally pretty fair in how they test us. Most professors make it clear what is important to know for exams.
thank you for the detailed answer :)

as a first year, how often are we expected to attend lectures in-person?

Just got an alternate status in portal! Interviewed 4/2