2023-2024 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now that I'm reading closely the email has a footer telling me it may contain confidential information and not to share it. Oops. Pls don't rescind me.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Now that I'm reading closely the email has a footer telling me it may contain confidential information and not to share it. Oops. Pls don't rescind me.
Every email I've exchanged w them has that footer. P sure it's just standard language so it's probably not a big deal. Plus no one on here is a narc right :censored:

I emailed earlier today and admissions confirmed there is a HPWL

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
i called today and asked the same and they confirmed the HPWL as well

• Wow
Well I sent my letter of intent here just now so fingers crossed 🤞

I was thinking about sending a letter of intent too but once I found out that there’s a high priority list I don’t think it’s gonna be worth it for me. Thoughts?

I was thinking about sending a letter of intent too but once I found out that there’s a high priority list I don’t think it’s gonna be worth it for me. Thoughts?
The HPWL is likely small, and Stony Brook still takes 60/300 off the WL total. Whether you send a letter of intent is up to you, but there's still a great chance of coming off the WL (which will likely increase with a LOI since they know you will go).

The HPWL is likely small, and Stony Brook still takes 60/300 off the WL total. Whether you send a letter of intent is up to you, but there's still a great chance of coming off the WL (which will likely increase with a LOI since they know you will go).
I guess i might as well send it anyway. It’s quite literally my top choice after all lol. Only thing holding me back is potential strategy in sending a LOI to a different school to potentially get better odds of admission. Something to consider i guess. Thanks

I guess i might as well send it anyway. It’s quite literally my top choice after all lol. Only thing holding me back is potential strategy in sending a LOI to a different school to potentially get better odds of admission. Something to consider i guess. Thanks
Do you have an acceptance somewhere else? If you don't I would recommend sending a LOI to the school you think you may have a higher chance at getting off the WL at instead of stony. If you already have an A somewhere else you can send your LOI here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the grading scheme will be for the upcoming year? I have heard mixed things.

Do you have an acceptance somewhere else? If you don't I would recommend sending a LOI to the school you think you may have a higher chance at getting off the WL at instead of stony. If you already have an A somewhere else you can send your LOI here.
1 DO A, 4 IS WL (Stony Brook, NYMC, UB, Upstate)

Stony Brook top choice for location (close to home). Next maybe Upstate, but they don’t accept post II updates. So if not here I’d send my LOI to UB or NYMC

Stony Brook top choice for location (close to home). Next maybe Upstate, but they don’t accept post II updates. So if not here I’d send my LOI to UB or NYMC
Buffalo doesn't have any guidance on WL movement and NYMC is apparently 50/250 (same percentage as Stony Brook more or less). IMO shoot your shot at your top choice since there's no clear school with a significantly higher chance

Reactions: 2 users

I'd say if ur gonna send a LOI send it to stony. Seems like ur on HPA for upstate so ur set for that

has anyone gotten the HPWL email after receiving the regular WL email? Admissions said this may happen as well

which specialty did you apply for if you don't mind me asking
ophthalmology but also found out that all derm applicants a few years back got an interview, so not sure how 3ymd allocates interviews

have there been less outright A’s recently? I feel like the HPWL is being formed w people they would’ve accepted if it wasn’t as late in the cycle and they had more seats left

did anyone who interviewed here early in the cycle get HPWL or did they only start that later on?

At Second Look! Anyone else here? I see some of you just don’t know who you are!

At Second Look! Anyone else here? I see some of you just don’t know who you are!
Damn no way I was there too👀 vibes were awesome, the students seem happy and it's evident there's a great culture. Also significant admin support and good mentorship available

is the campus perty 👀
med students did a tour for us - the hospital and health science center are really nice (it's partially under construction rn but the complete parts of the hospital are like all glass buildings, super gorgeous)! the clinical simulation center was renovated in 2023 and looks sick too

Interviewed on 2/26 and just got accepted to the MD program. OOS (international) and no ties to Stony Brook/ NY.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if people have gotten off the WL in April during previous years? Trynna see if they start pulling from WL before May

Does anyone know if people have gotten off the WL in April during previous years? Trynna see if they start pulling from WL before May

I could be mixing this up with another school but I’m 99% sure during the interview session they said if you get on the waitlist then that does not get touched at all until May. I assume they want to see what percentage of their A’s actually committed to enroll and still plan to enroll after dropping all other schools and then make a decision

I could be mixing this up with another school but I’m 99% sure during the interview session they said if you get on the waitlist then that does not get touched at all until May. I assume they want to see what percentage of their A’s actually committed to enroll and still plan to enroll after dropping all other schools and then make a decision
Thank u!