2023-2024 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is this possible? This goes directly against AAMC traffic rules - everyone should have until April 30th. If this is true, this is some super shady, ill-spirited, and downright insecure behavior from SUNY
Honestly I kinda support it lol

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in hearing if people are not concerned about the hospital shut down and why? What makes downstate still stand out despite this to you? I am genuinely intrigued and do not mean to be negative

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in hearing if people are not concerned about the hospital shut down and why? What makes downstate still stand out despite this to you? I am genuinely intrigued and do not mean to be negative
The university hospital honestly isn't used much and hasn't been for years. Kings County (across the street) is the main teaching hospital and is a level 1 trauma center and major safety net for all of Brooklyn. I don't think Downstate Medical Center itself closing has much of an effect on the medical school, and it also may not happen for years anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
For a lot of people It’s our only choice

Reactions: 1 user
As in the other SUNY affiliated hospitals like with Usptate, Stony, and Buff aren’t at risk of closing down. So they are probably a lot safer option for clinical training and if you want to do an in house residency compared to Downstate.
I have other SUNY As but prefer downstate for NYC/great NYC match

Members don't see this ad :)
AL just now. IS, LM 76, interviewed 3/12 and 3/20 (student). Hoping I’m one of the ones from last year they take off the AL the next day lmao

• Wow
How is this possible? This goes directly against AAMC traffic rules - everyone should have until April 30th. If this is true, this is some super shady, ill-spirited, and downright insecure behavior from SUNY
It’s definitely frustrating esp for people who may be OOS and have to consider uprooting themselves for the next for years for sure! I do think due to the matriculation data and likelihood that applicants to downstate may have other As they want to lock in a class asap, which means giving tight deadlines so they can move through their AL and continue offering admission until their class is filled. Unfortunately this means that there isn’t adequate time to fully consider pros/cons which is definitely a reflection of their admissions process.

It’s definitely frustrating esp for people who may be OOS and have to consider uprooting themselves for the next for years for sure! I do think due to the matriculation data and likelihood that applicants to downstate may have other As they want to lock in a class asap, which means giving tight deadlines so they can move through their AL and continue offering admission until their class is filled. Unfortunately this means that there isn’t adequate time to fully consider pros/cons which is definitely a reflection of their admissions process.
I honestly think they’re trying to do the best they can in their situation and try to give everyone on the AL a better chance.

It seems like the "AAMC Traffic Rules" are just suggestions...

. After April 30:
  • Permit all applicants:
    • A minimum of five business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be reduced to a minimum of two business days within 30 days of the start of orientation.
    • To submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.
  • Recognize and respect the challenges of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.
7. In addition to any condition included in a school’s offer letter, after April 30, each school may exercise its school-specific procedures to confirm an accepted applicant’s intention to matriculate to ensure that it fills each seat in its entering class. If a school is unable to confirm an applicant’s intention to matriculate, the school may choose to rescind the acceptance.

8. Each school's initial deposit(s) should not exceed $100 and (except for EDP applicants), should be refundable at least until April 30. If the applicant enrolls at the school, the school should credit the deposit toward tuition.

Traffic Rules

It seems like the "AAMC Traffic Rules" are just suggestions...

. After April 30:
  • Permit all applicants:
    • A minimum of five business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be reduced to a minimum of two business days within 30 days of the start of orientation.
    • To submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.
  • Recognize and respect the challenges of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.
7. In addition to any condition included in a school’s offer letter, after April 30, each school may exercise its school-specific procedures to confirm an accepted applicant’s intention to matriculate to ensure that it fills each seat in its entering class. If a school is unable to confirm an applicant’s intention to matriculate, the school may choose to rescind the acceptance.

8. Each school's initial deposit(s) should not exceed $100 and (except for EDP applicants), should be refundable at least until April 30. If the applicant enrolls at the school, the school should credit the deposit toward tuition.

Traffic Rules
Yeah i dont think they’re being shady at all

Alternate list today, interviewed 3/26. Just want to rant about how bad the pre-matric checklist page is – so disorganized with non-functional links, typos, etc. Do other schools make you do BLS? I haven't heard of any

Alternate list today, interviewed 3/26. Just want to rant about how bad the pre-matric checklist page is – so disorganized with non-functional links, typos, etc. Do other schools make you do BLS? I haven't heard of any
Not for matriculation but I heard once you start there’s a course like during orientation

Did any alternates submit proof of citizenship? Where should we send it to? also, the medicat link doesn't even work for me...

Do you guys know what health forms we are exactly supposed to submit? The medicat site itself is confusing and how do we submit stuff anyways?

Do these forms come in after the AL acceptance? I accepted my spot immediately but don’t see any pre-matric stuff and never got another email.

Do these forms come in after the AL acceptance? I accepted my spot immediately but don’t see any pre-matric stuff and never got another email.
There is a prematric checklist I believe on the AMP portal. I am on the AL I got an email with a netID and their health clearance link next day. Not everyone got this email though I think

Why the heck are they expecting us to pay close to $200 for the BLS course, just while we're on the AL??

Why the heck are they expecting us to pay close to $200 for the BLS course, just while we're on the AL??
Maybe its because they expect alot of waitlist movement. Idk? I'm not doing anything until I get an official acceptance.

When is it even due? Is BLS hard to do
Don't think it has to be even done through Downstate its basically get CPR certified by the AHA. It's one of the prematric things I haven't even got started on it yet bc the medicat portal doesn't let me upload for some reason. Anyone else having this issue?

Don't think it has to be even done through Downstate its basically get CPR certified by the AHA. It's one of the prematric things I haven't even got started on it yet bc the medicat portal doesn't let me upload for some reason. Anyone else having this issue?
How do we access medicat? I saw it referenced in the pre-matric checklist instructions for the health clearance but haven't received anything about it so I was just downloading the forms from the SHS website

How do we access medicat? I saw it referenced in the pre-matric checklist instructions for the health clearance but haven't received anything about it so I was just downloading the forms from the SHS website
Could you send the link for the forms because the link on the AMP isn't working for me either? I got an email about a NetID and Downstate email address shortly after my waitlist notification which has the login credentials for medicat

It’s so tough out here. Perhaps they don’t release decisions on tour day. Anything to cope

• Care