2023-2024 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey everyone! 2 questions. if i submit my deposit soon, how likely are my chances of gettting knoxville? Also, am I allowed to submit my deposit here while already having submitted one elsewhere? someone said it's acceptable until April 30
yes April 30th you're expected to select one school

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone! 2 questions. if i submit my deposit soon, how likely are my chances of gettting knoxville? Also, am I allowed to submit my deposit here while already having submitted one elsewhere? someone said it's acceptable until April 30
You won't be put in Knoxville at this stage, but will be put on the waitlist for Knoxville. I've heard that most people get their preferred location however. And yes, you can!

I have still not heard back from this school after the still under review email. At this point, should I be expecting a rejection? And should I reach to ask for a status update? Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have still not heard back from this school after the still under review email. At this point, should I be expecting a rejection? And should I reach to ask for a status update? Any advice is helpful. Thanks!
Ask for a status update.

Really don't want to get my hopes up, but in a recent interview they straight up said during a presentation that they accept a lot of people and that even if you're on the waitlist you have an "excellent chance" of getting in and not to worry. Kind of surprised me they said that point blank. I've seen two sites online, one from a 2018 excel sheet saying their post-II acceptance rate is 78%, and another from 2023 apparently saying 93%. Keeping fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 users
Really don't want to get my hopes up, but in a recent interview they straight up said during a presentation that they accept a lot of people and that even if you're on the waitlist you have an "excellent chance" of getting in and not to worry. Kind of surprised me they said that point blank. I've seen two sites online, one from a 2018 excel sheet saying their post-II acceptance rate is 78%, and another from 2023 apparently saying 93%. Keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks for sharing.

How about for interview chances this late in the game?

Thanks for sharing.

How about for interview chances this late in the game?

I wouldn't say there's a 0% chance but it's probably low. I believe the last interview date they have is April 26 unless they decide to add 1 or 2 more dates for early May? But hey, never say never. There's other schools I've applied where it's also just complete silence since submitting.

I wouldn't say there's a 0% chance but it's probably low. I believe the last interview date they have is April 26 unless they decide to add 1 or 2 more dates for early May? But hey, never say never. There's other schools I've applied where it's also just complete silence since submitting.
Gotcha, thank you!

Any tips on the best way to reach out for updates and what not and express interest in the particular program?

Gotcha, thank you!

Any tips on the best way to reach out for updates and what not and express interest in the particular program?

Yeah I would just go for it. Nothing to lose at this point. Just a quick email to the main admissions email saying you're still interested and maybe asking for a status update?

Yeah I would just go for it. Nothing to lose at this point. Just a quick email to the main admissions email saying you're still interested and maybe asking for a status update?
Gotcha, thank you!

Anyone get off the WL yet? or is there no movement until interviews are over?

@docb9 I would say the movement would not start until after May 1st when people drop their seats for other schools

When do we get an email with the zoom link for the interview if it is this Friday? Also does anyone know the chances of getting accepted if you have an interview for the second to last date in April.

Members don't see this ad :)

Gotcha, thank you!
I called and asked for a status update yesterday. They said it’s still in the hands of the committee and it’s just a waiting game at this point. They were very nice, but that was all they told me. Other schools I called were more detailed

When do we get an email with the zoom link for the interview if it is this Friday? Also does anyone know the chances of getting accepted if you have an interview for the second to last date in April.

Not sure about the 2nd part honestly, but the zoom link should have come the Monday of the week of. If you haven't received it by tomorrow I'd definitely email them

Hi everyone! I wanted to post on here because I know I would have loved seeing something like this when I was in your shoes. I am a current OMS-I student at LMU-DCOM Harrogate. I was interviewed mid-march, waitlisted at the beginning of April, and accepted at the end of May. There was TONS of WL movement all throughout May and June during my year so keep the hope!! I know being on the waitlist is agonizing but hang in there. Most of my friends I have here now also came off the WL so It seems to be pretty common. There was even someone in my class who was accepted literally during orientation week which was insane. A few stats just in-case anyone is wondering: I am OOS, my MCAT was 495 & my cGPA was 3.8. I did send a letter of intent to attend after being waitlisted. Who knows if that was something they looked at, but just trying to provide as much info as possible for you all! If anyone has any questions or wants to PM me, feel free :) Anything regarding this process, our schedule & day-to-day, whatever! I'd love to be a resource to y'all. Keep your heads up and I look forward to seeing you future OMS-Is in the fall!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Hello all! I wanted to contribute to the conversation to give everybody on the waitlist some hope! I am a 1st year as well. I was interviewed beginning of March, waitlisted, and was not pulled off the waitlist until mid June. A few of my stats are OOS, MCAT <500, and cGPA 3.70. I sent a letter of intent to admissions after I was waitlisted to update them on my continued interest. Like the person above, who knows if the letter helped at all. If anybody has questions, feel free to privately message me or reply on here. It might take me a little to get back to you, but I'll try to check this every night. Good luck everybody and don't give up hope!

Reactions: 2 users
@Throwaway199023 @dsummerfly thanks for your posts guys it does help!! do you know if there is any chance of being able to go to the knoxville campus if accepted off WL in May/June?

@Throwaway199023 @dsummerfly thanks for your posts guys it does help!! do you know if there is any chance of being able to go to the knoxville campus if accepted off WL in May/June?
Personally I think it is a tough chance. I wanted to choose Harrogate anyway, but when I was accepted, my email did not give me the option to be put on the waitlist for Knoxville

Same for me - when I was accepted off WL in May, they told me I was going to Harrogate and that was that. I am so happy to be here though personally. I know there was an option to get on a switch list in the event someone wanted to switch Knox to Harrogate or if anyone at the Knox campus dropped. I don't know of anyone who was on that list though!

Another OMS-1 here. I’ve already messaged quite a few times in the chat since December. Feel free to reach out. Harrogate is a great campus. I chose Harrogate over Knox and love it.

Another OMS-1 here. I’ve already messaged quite a few times in the chat since December. Feel free to reach out. Harrogate is a great campus. I chose Harrogate over Knox and love it.
Thanks for commenting. How much weight does a letter of intent hold?

Wondering this too and also, if you're on the WL do they send you emails about continued interest or something? Or is it truly just dead silence through April-June until they make a formal decision (R or A)

Hey sorry, but I actually have no idea. I personally would probably only write one if you have something new about your application that you wanted to share with them as well as tell them your continued interest to attend there. But again I really don’t know.

if we submit the matriculation agreement now but later get into another school, are we allowed to withdraw at that point? even after April 30?

When on the WL do past/current applicants know if they send updates throughout or "gauging interest" emails or is it just complete silence (besides maybe sending your own LOI or updates to them)?

anyone / current student know who " Hollow Knight" is as there is bashing of the school on here by him/her?
can a current student comment on rotation experience by their upperclassmen??
Thanks
I would ignore that person I’m a second year about to start dedicated and from what I’ve read almost everything they’ve posted about Lmu is incorrect. I would love to know where their rotation site is though, so I can give my classmates a heads up that their attendings will be putting in minimum effort and making fun of them.

could you share why you choose Harogate if you do not mind, pls? Thank you

A. Yesterday. interviewed 3/22

could you share why you choose Harogate if you do not mind, pls? Thank you

Sure! To start I just want to say that both campuses are great and you can be happy at either of them. This isn’t to say why I think one is better than the other, but rather a few things that I liked more for my own personal situation. Everybody’s situation will be unique to them.

For me, I had heard about the fire department that is ran by LMU-DCOM students. That really got my attention, and since being here I’ve been actively involved with the department. It is a good way to have something unique on your CV for residency, it teaches you good skills, and it also allows you to gain community volunteer hours.

Next, medical school is expensive. Being at the Harrogate campus helps with that a little by bringing down the cost of living. Rent is way cheaper here, I only fill up my car like once every 2 months, and there’s a lot less restaurants and things to do which lowers the temptation to spend money (both a blessing and a curse). The way I saw it, I could live in a cheaper area and then on the rare occasions we have time off I can drive to Knoxville or Gatlinburg and enjoy my weekend (which I’ve done a few times).

Lastly, I really liked the idea of being on a college campus. Having a nice big open campus with students from other programs makes me feel more like I’m at a school. We have lots of intramural sports throughout the year that you can participate in where you compete with PA students, Vet students, and undergrad students. There’s also a lot of events that the school puts on for the community that are fun to go to. I’ve gone to a couple of LMU basketball games and some LMU lacrosse games. There’s lots of other sports teams at the school too and games are always free. We have a nice gym on campus and a chik-fil-a. Overall I just like the feeling of being on a university campus. In terms of specific medical school activities, there’s lots of clubs and events to participate in as well as the college Olympics. The setting is also amazing being right on the Cumberland gap mountains. I’ve been able to venture out and do a few hikes, river floats, and there’s also some nice swimming lakes.

The one downside is being in a smaller town with less options outside of school. Which again wasn’t a problem for me, but it may be for some. Even though it’s small there’s 3 solid local restaurants that I really enjoy and a bunch of others that are okay. We also have a Walmart supermarket, Kroger, and a Food city. So it’s small but it’s not like you’re in the middle of nowhere. We are about an hour and 10 minutes to Knoxville and about an hour and a half to the airport.

When on the WL do past/current applicants know if they send updates throughout or "gauging interest" emails or is it just complete silence (besides maybe sending your own LOI or updates to them)?
OMSI here, when I was on the WL It was complete silence on their end unless you had a reason to reach out to them. Someone above asked about LOIs holding any weight and I am not sure, but the only other time they engaged with me was when I submitted my LOI. They reached out and said they received It and added It to my file. I did end up getting accepted within a month of sending my LOI but again who knows if that was the reason why or It was for other reasons, ya know.

OMSI here, when I was on the WL It was complete silence on their end unless you had a reason to reach out to them. Someone above asked about LOIs holding any weight and I am not sure, but the only other time they engaged with me was when I submitted my LOI. They reached out and said they received It and added It to my file. I did end up getting accepted within a month of sending my LOI but again who knows if that was the reason why or It was for other reasons, ya know.

Got it, thank you!

If any current students in Harrogate wouldn’t mind answering, are most of yall living alone or did you find roommates before starting/2nd year?

If any current students in Harrogate wouldn’t mind answering, are most of yall living alone or did you find roommates before starting/2nd year?
Honestly I think majority of people live alone because rent is so cheap here for a single person. My friends who live with roommates chose to do so because they aren't the living alone type or wanted to live on campus.

@Throwaway199023 are there restaurants, gyms, bars, grocery places near the campus?
Yes, but not a whole lot. Within harrogate right by campus (less than a min drive) we have Hardees, a BBQ place, frosty mug drive in, gondolier (Italian place). The campus has a small gym and it has CFA and Starbucks. The bars are in Cumberland Gap which is maybe a 5ish minute drive from LMU. They have 2 bars, Angelos which is a restaurant bar and another bar is Caboose. They also have 1919 which is a restaurant and juice spot. You're going to find more restaurants, grocery, and gyms in Middlesboro which is a 10ish minute drive from LMU. There is Walmart, Kroger, Food City, and some save a lot store. There's a handful of gyms in Middlesboro and more restaurants and local coffee shops. Yes there is not a lot compared to Knoxville, but I think there is plenty of stuff here

Does anyone know how likely you are to get an acceptance after interviewing? I interviewed 4/12 and haven’t heard anything yet, expecting to probably be waitlisted.

current students: how are the exams like, including structure? what are the best ways to prepare?

I would agree with what was said by throwaway up there ^^. Most people I know live alone or if they decided to get a roommate they did so b/c they wanted more space without paying more rent. I live w my boyfriend and we split our total rent of 1200, $600 each for a 4 bedroom 2 bath house (we both needed an office, he WFH). My friend lives in Middlesboro, KY alone, pays $550 a month for a 2 bed 1 bath on her own. So it's pretty common to live on your own. My other friend lived in the University Inn her first semester which is like $600 a month I believe, but she really didn't like It so she moved second semester. She now has a roommate in Middlesboro, KY and pays $400 a month. Def figure out what you want the most in a living situation and theres almost definitely a way to make It work around here!

current students: how are the exams like, including structure? what are the best ways to prepare?
Hey there! We are block exams. So first semester, you will have all of your science courses on the same exam (gross anatomy, histology, MFMI) and then your non-sciences on the same exam (our osteopathic class, patient care essentials, FMHC (this one is our pass/fail class)). Following the science exams in the morning, you will have an in-lab anatomy practical the same afternoon. I believe exams were like every 2-3 weeks first semester, but they do get closer together second semester. We have exams every other week now. Our exams are currently online still from COVID, but they confirmed we are going back to in-person exams in the fall. I can't attest to how they are set up yet since I have yet to experience that. They are timed but they give us plenty of time IMO, its like 80 seconds or something per question (not sure exactly, but I know they follow whatever the boards standard is).

I think the "best" way to prepare is pretty objective and is different from person to person. My advice will vary from the next person. Whatever methods you decide to use (Anki, study guides, quizlet, etc.) I always make sure I am studying the material that was lectured on the same day It is
lectured because It all builds up very quickly. Then just find a way to utilize spaced repetition to make sure you are continuously reviewing. There are so many ways to do this so you just have to figure out what you like. I personally do summarized study guides following lectures, and then do Anki that I keep up with daily for the entire block. I spend the 3 days leading up to the exams pounding out as many practice questions w/ my study group as I can. Hope this helps!

Also FYI- there are also tons of resources passed down from class to class. You'll be assigned a second year mentor during orientation week who will help you with this! We have tutors for every course as well that are amazing and I use regularly to supplement learning!

Last edited:
I would agree with what was said by throwaway up there ^^. Most people I know live alone or if they decided to get a roommate they did so b/c they wanted more space without paying more rent. I live w my boyfriend and we split our total rent of 1200, $600 each for a 4 bedroom 2 bath house (we both needed an office, he WFH). My friend lives in Middlesboro, KY alone, pays $550 a month for a 2 bed 1 bath on her own. So it's pretty common to live on your own. My other friend lived in the University Inn her first semester which is like $600 a month I believe, but she really didn't like It so she moved second semester. She now has a roommate in Middlesboro, KY and pays $400 a month. Def figure out what you want the most in a living situation and theres almost definitely a way to make It work around here!
Do you use a relator to find a rental?

Do you use a relator to find a rental?
No, most people around here use the LMU-DCOM Housing Facebook page. Landlords post on there when things become available with their contact info! Most rentals are in Harrogate, Cumberland Gap, Tazewell and Middlesboro, KY.

No, most people around here use the LMU-DCOM Housing Facebook page. Landlords post on there when things become available with their contact info! Most rentals are in Harrogate, Cumberland Gap, Tazewell and Middlesboro, KY.
one more question-any insight on anatomy boot camp? thanks

one more question-any insight on anatomy boot camp? thanks
No worries! Feel free to message me if you have any more. I did the bootcamp and would recommend it! I do think it’s kind of pricey however I do feel that I had some stress alleviated from me at the beginning of the semester because I had a grasp on the class that made up such a big portion of our course load. It’s also nice to feel a little bit more comfortable going into the donor lab if you’ve never done dissections before. Plus, It gives you an extra few weeks to get to know the area and adjust to the move. I also met my best friend so that’s an added bonus :) the only con I would say is the price tag & sometimes the long days (but they try to pack the entire anatomy course into a 3 week long crash course so It makes sense). Lmk if you have any more questions!

Hey there! We are block exams. So first semester, you will have all of your science courses on the same exam (gross anatomy, histology, MFMI) and then your non-sciences on the same exam (our osteopathic class, patient care essentials, FMHC (this one is our pass/fail class)). Following the science exams in the morning, you will have an in-lab anatomy practical the same afternoon. I believe exams were like every 2-3 weeks first semester, but they do get closer together second semester. We have exams every other week now. Our exams are currently online still from COVID, but they confirmed we are going back to in-person exams in the fall. I can't attest to how they are set up yet since I have yet to experience that. They are timed but they give us plenty of time IMO, its like 80 seconds or something per question (not sure exactly, but I know they follow whatever the boards standard is).

I think the "best" way to prepare is pretty objective and is different from person to person. My advice will vary from the next person. Whatever methods you decide to use (Anki, study guides, quizlet, etc.) I always make sure I am studying the material that was lectured on the same day It is
lectured because It all builds up very quickly. Then just find a way to utilize spaced repetition to make sure you are continuously reviewing. There are so many ways to do this so you just have to figure out what you like. I personally do summarized study guides following lectures, and then do Anki that I keep up with daily for the entire block. I spend the 3 days leading up to the exams pounding out as many practice questions w/ my study group as I can. Hope this helps!

Also FYI- there are also tons of resources passed down from class to class. You'll be assigned a second year mentor during orientation week who will help you with this! We have tutors for every course as well that are amazing and I use regularly to supplement learning!
thank you so much i rlly appreciate this!! they're all multiple choice right?

thank you so much i rlly appreciate this!! they're all multiple choice right?
yep! our exams pretty much follow the same set up as boards exam in terms of material, timing, style etc. (as closely as they can make them anyway) to get us as ready for boards as possible.