2023-2024 Columbia (Vagelos)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not OP but the MSTP questions are:

What academic honors have you received (e.g., prizes, scholarships, fellowships, honor societies)? (1000 words)

What are your major research interests? (20 words)

PhD Goals (1000 words)

Additional Information (1000 words)

Upload CV

There's also an "Experiences" section similar in format to the Work/Activities section of the AMCAS (no word limit)

@chilly_md
Thanks, is there an exact phrasing for the questions about PhD Goals and additional information?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have ideas about what to put for the "Have you previously applied to Medical School?" prompt? I'm not sure if it should just be a list of where I applied to previously, or if it is supposed to be about what I have changed on my application for this year. I'm also not sure if the "took time off from undergraduate studies" is supposed to be about if you had to take a break during undergrad, or if you have a gap year between undergrad and this application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For this question:
3. Did you work for compensation during college (either during the school year or summers)? If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)

Do you think I should briefly just state where I worked, what I did, and hours/week, or make it a fuller essay about what I learned and all that?

For this question:
3. Did you work for compensation during college (either during the school year or summers)? If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)
I also am curious whether I should list all the things I did (had 3 jobs and 2 paid internships) or if I should just focus on one or two and write lessons learned?

I also am curious whether I should list all the things I did (had 3 jobs and 2 paid internships) or if I should just focus on one or two and write lessons learned?
i listed all the things I did and the time I did them (hrs and summer/spring/fall) with only a sentence or two about what they actually entailed

Reactions: 1 users
I just realized I mentioned that I'm a Patriots fan in one of my secondaries. Am I f****d for Columbia if I don't remove this? I don't know if I'm overthinking but I know theres probably some die hard jets fans on the columbia committee so I wonder if they might discriminate against me because of the hatred they have for the Patriots

I just realized I mentioned that I'm a Patriots fan in one of my secondaries. Am I f****d for Columbia if I don't remove this? I don't know if I'm overthinking but I know theres probably some die hard jets fans on the columbia committee so I wonder if they might discriminate against me because of the hatred they have for the Patriots
No, you're good. No Jets fans can blame you because deep down they know they're inferior and haven't won anything in 45 years.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I worked part-time during college because I knew I needed to save up for the admissions cycles and tuition. However, should I even mention this, considering many other people need to work to feed themselves/pay rent etc.? I don't want come of as "woe is me" when other people have it much worse...

I worked part-time during college because I knew I needed to save up for the admissions cycles and tuition. However, should I even mention this, considering many other people need to work to feed themselves/pay rent etc.? I don't want come of as "woe is me" when other people have it much worse...
I mentioned that I worked 3 hours a week as a TA and said I did it because I like teaching. I think that it's fine to mention.

I'm having a hard time with question 2. Is it referring to time off during or after undergrad? If 'during', would that include something like summer without classes? If 'after', why not use the same verbiage as question 4...

Also, I assume question 3 is after those who worked to support themselves, but is work as an LA/tutor acceptable here too, even if only ~5 hours per week?

I'm having a hard time with question 2. Is it referring to time off during or after undergrad? If 'during', would that include something like summer without classes? If 'after', why not use the same verbiage as question 4...

Also, I assume question 3 is after those who worked to support themselves, but is work as an LA/tutor acceptable here too, even if only ~5 hours per week?
I would mention it - you're still being honest and answering the question, Also, it gives you another opportunity to talk about another experience

Members don't see this ad :)

I think question 2 means if you took an unordinary break from college, like put a pause on it or took a semester off. I think summers not taking classes are normal/expected (that's what I did) so I'm just putting N/A for that one. Lmk if anyone has a different opinion though and is including what they did during summer.

For the most meaningful experiences question- should I repeat primary app if they were leadership (I have one leadership Most valuable on there)? Or is it ok to talk about other experiences that are very meaningful but I didn't include on primaries bc they were from awhile ago... and I have so many meaningful activities

For the most meaningful experiences question- should I repeat primary app if they were leadership (I have one leadership Most valuable on there)? Or is it ok to talk about other experiences that are very meaningful but I didn't include on primaries bc they were from awhile ago... and I have so many meaningful activities
You could talk about the experiences from the primary if you have more information to provide or another aspect to describe. Otherwise it might be better to use other activities and experiences.

When it asks me to select a program, should I select the same one I had in my primary app? I applied MD but could I say MD/PhD instead on my secondary or does it still have to be MD? Thanks!

When I logged into my portal, all I see is an option to select a program. Is this normal? Do I have to select a program to view the secondary prompts?

When I logged into my portal, all I see is an option to select a program. Is this normal? Do I have to select a program to view the secondary prompts?
as far as i remember yes, but you can go back and change it so you're not doomed if you change your mind

granted i think it does erase your progress if you do change it

Is there anywhere on the application where you all addressed "Why Columbia"? Struggling to find a place to put that info!

Is there anywhere on the application where you all addressed "Why Columbia"? Struggling to find a place to put that info!
If there isn't a suitable place don't force it imo. Any school of Columbia's caliber knows why we're applying there

You could write it for the additional info essay, but I agree with @toastedbutter above. Schools of Columbia's caliber likely trust that applicants will pick them over most other schools and looking at MSAR, OOS applicants are interviewed at higher rates than IS (potentially suggesting Columbia's not too worried about yield).

i have some woven in with the diversity essay and used the additional info to talk about some covid stuff instead fwiw

Anyone mind sharing what they put for the "why else"? I have no major covid related happenings/impactful experiences not covered elsewhere. Thinking about adapting a critical thinking essay (from duke) to talk more about one of my extracurriculars

Anyone mind sharing what they put for the "why else"? I have no major covid related happenings/impactful experiences not covered elsewhere. Thinking about adapting a critical thinking essay (from duke) to talk more about one of my extracurriculars
i have a younger brother with high-functioning autism and a specific subtype that's only recently been classified - i talked about becoming a better sister instead of just a third parent to him. i used it as an adversity/challenge essay for other unis but i included it here just because i feel like it explains things like my research in an autism lab and because it's a huge part of who i am

I expanded on the most meaningful leadership positions essay.

I submitted my secondary on 7/13, but my app got verified today. The portal still says my app is not complete... Should I wait a bit until they process it before sending an email?

update: they sent an email that is was updated haha

Last edited:
For MSTP applicants, what are you putting in PhD goals vs additional information, I wanted to focus why Columbia more the second prompt but I feel like I am repeating information

If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. - did you talk about only what you did up until now or for entire future gap yr?

If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. - did you talk about only what you did up until now or for entire future gap yr?
...only what you did up until now.

should I mention ties to Columbia in the "anything else" question? other than my ties to NYC (mom's side of the family has been in/near NYC for generations), my mom did her residency at Columbia. Is that important to mention or do they not care? also unsure of how to bring it up besides just saying "my mom did her residency there." but there's no other place to put stuff like that.

I am interested in training in NYC, my grandma did med school, residency, and continued working her whole career in NYC and my mom always talks about how her time in NYC was the best part of her medical training. idk tho. thoughts?

For MSTP applicants, what are you putting in PhD goals vs additional information, I wanted to focus why Columbia more the second prompt but I feel like I am repeating information
I am happy to share what I wrote if you DM me!

omfg just got an II. shaking a bit in my cowboy boots. complete 7/7 (and OOS)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone else not see the interview tab on their portal?

Sorry for being neurotic but was the email time same as the others from this morning? (8-9am) or are they rolling them out today?
Rolling! It was just a few minutes ago :) best of luck!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else not see the interview tab on their portal?
Same here. I'm going to wait a bit and see if the portal updates. Let me know if it resolves for you.

Edit: The issue resolved about an hour after receiving the email.

Last edited:
Anyone who got an II also apply to Bassett? Wondering if that delays/elongates the process for us in any way.

Same here. I'm going to wait a bit and see if the portal updates. Let me know if it resolves for you.
Same here! Gonna wait until the end of the day before emailing them

I think it is rolling throughout today (not to cause more stress and anxiety!!) because I just received an II! I was complete 7/14.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II Just now complete 7/10. Seems they are releasing by submission date

• Love
Reactions: 4 users