2022-2023 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when they typically send rejections? I hope they didn't just get our hopes up with their email because the email I received had not mention of a rejection, just an acceptance or waitlist. The wait is killeršŸ˜­šŸ˜†
Same here.. I interviewed on one of the last dates so I imagine they would've just rejected straight post-II instead of providing the hold email, and then rejecting if they knew my rank wasn't going to get me an acceptance on March 15th

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Same here.. I interviewed on one of the last dates so I imagine they would've just rejected straight post-II instead of providing the hold email if they knew my rank wasn't going to get me an acceptance on March 15th
Some people were rejected post-II without receiving hold email earlier in the thread

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I contacted them and they said that they will send it "shortly". I hope they meant today shortly and not this month kind of "shortly" hahaha

Reactions: 9 users
Hi all, I contacted them and they said that they will send it "shortly". I hope they meant today shortly and not this month kind of "shortly" hahaha
Thanks for doing the leg work on that! By "it" do you mean they'll send us an acceptance OR waitlist email or just waitlist email?

Doing the Lordā€™s work for us all Pinnochio1!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for doing the leg work on that! By "it" do you mean they'll send us an acceptance OR waitlist email or just waitlist email?
Hi so they said that they will send out information regarding their wait list shortly and that we should follow instruction if we desire to stay on the waitlist.They did not mention acceptances.

Reactions: 3 users
The year is 2047. 20 years since the apocalypse. You sift through the rubble of what once was your home some many years ago. The sunlight reflects off of something, catching your gaze. It can't be.... your old iPhone 11, almost unharmed. You plug it in, power it on, and almost as if it was fate a new email notification pops up: "VCU SOM: Waitlist".

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
The year is 2047. 20 years since the apocalypse. You sift through the rubble of what once was your home some many years ago. The sunlight reflects off of something, catching your gaze. It can't be.... your old iPhone 11, almost unharmed. You plug it in, power it on, and almost as if it was fate a new email notification pops up: "VCU SOM: Waitlist".
I feel betrayed by themšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ that's why I was skeptical about their "shortly"šŸ¤£

• Haha
It's worth noting that since they offer about 200 acceptances (estimates are 50 per release day) and they interview almost 800 applicants, there will likely be many people who don't even make the waitlist.
Wait. So you can get rejected after being placed on hold for an acceptance?

Also did anyone get anything from them? I was expecting an email asking about being on the alternate list, or something at all.

Wait. So you can get rejected after being placed on hold for an acceptance?
I donā€™t know for a fact but it make sense. They place everyone on hold after an interview and they do not accept everyone?

People have to be rejected post interview (and pre waitlist) if their waitlist is only 100 people long.

Again, they interview 800 people. They accept 200 people out right. They place 100 people on the waitlist. That means around 500 do not get added to the waitlist (or they donā€™t accept a spot on the waitlist, blah blah blah).

Members don't see this ad :)
I donā€™t know for a fact but it make sense. They place everyone on hold after an interview and they do not accept everyone?

People have to be rejected post interview (and pre waitlist) if their waitlist is only 100 people long.

Again, they interview 800 people. They accept 200 people out right. They place 100 people on the waitlist. That means around 500 do not get added to the waitlist (or they donā€™t accept a spot on the waitlist, blah blah blah).
They send out post ii Rs. To my understanding, since you need to be ranked 3 ->1 out of 5 to be sent a hold for acceptance, automatically 40% of applicants that interview are rejected post ii.

They send out post ii Rs. To my understanding, since you need to be ranked 3 ->1 out of 5 to be sent a hold for acceptance, automatically 40% of applicants that interview are rejected post ii.
I think I might be confused. Are these post-ii Rs sent soon after the interview or are they going to be sent around the same time as the alternate list? I got the hold email after my interview, but I didn't get an acceptance. Does that mean I'm going to be on the alternate list or is there a chance I might get a post-ii rejection?

Reactions: 1 user
I think I might be confused. Are these post-ii Rs sent soon after the interview or are they going to be sent around the same time as the alternate list? I got the hold email after my interview, but I didn't get an acceptance. Does that mean I'm going to be on the alternate list or is there a chance I might get a post-ii rejection?
A few people have posted rejections post II (they didnā€™t get any holds), but Iā€™m guessing they will reject more people soon

Anyone got the 2023 match list?

anyone else refreshing their email every 10 seconds praying for an update? thought theyā€™d send something about WL by now.

interviewed in august, radio silence since hold email in september šŸ˜³

I called and they said a couple of weeks to hear about waitlist so it seems like there's no clear answer

I called and they said a couple of weeks to hear about waitlist so it seems like there's no clear answer

This somewhat makes sense given MSAR states waitlist is active 4/1. But I had assumed that just means people will start to be taken off then. I may be wrong

it's just kinda weird bc they said mid-may for WL in all their emails and on their website... I am mostly curious if they will give any Rs. I was certain they don't do Rs after putting you on hold for acceptance but some ppl on here said they do.

it's just kinda weird bc they said mid-may for WL in all their emails and on their website... I am mostly curious if they will give any Rs. I was certain they don't do Rs after putting you on hold for acceptance but some ppl on here said they do.

You mean mid March?

the hold e-mail I received reads:

ā€œyour application is being placed on hold, pending a potential future offer of admissionā€

is this what people mean by ā€œon hold for acceptanceā€? imo, the way my email is worded definitely leaves the R possibility open.

the hold e-mail I received reads:

ā€œyour application is being placed on hold, pending a potential future offer of admissionā€

is this what people mean by ā€œon hold for acceptanceā€? imo, the way my email is worded definitely leaves the R possibility open.

I think the confusion is mainly from the following: ā€œYour profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March.ā€

My two cents is that regardless of this hold email or not, they will inevitably send post-II Rs. VCU can feel free to prove me wrong on that. Iā€™m guessing invites for WLs will go out first week of April this year because unlike last yr, their last acceptance offer date was 3/15, not 3/1. So they may need these next two weeks to consolidate the WL, during which more Rs will go out. Things vary a lot year to year so itā€™s really impossible know for certain but to me, this makes sense. Itā€™s all a waiting game for the next two months or so.

I think the confusion is mainly from the following: ā€œYour profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March.ā€

My two cents is that regardless of this hold email or not, they will inevitably send post-II Rs. VCU can feel free to prove me wrong on that. Iā€™m guessing invites for WLs will go out first week of April this year because unlike last yr, their last acceptance offer date was 3/15, not 3/1. So they may need these next two weeks to consolidate the WL, during which more Rs will go out. Things vary a lot year to year so itā€™s really impossible know for certain but to me, this makes sense. Itā€™s all a waiting game for the next two months or so.

Def a waiting game. n = 1 ofc butā€¦.hereā€™s my take.

from what i remembered during the info session Dr. WHC said that if your committee rank is on the end of the rating (1-5) you get the post II R and do not get placed on the ranked list. Iā€™m pretty sure they just reject people after the interview if you donā€™t make the cut. They have no benefit to putting people theyā€™re just gonna reject on the list, right?

I understood it as, if you get the hold email, you are good enough to get the A, it just depends on where in the list you rank. if you donā€™t make the cutoff for each date, at the end you join the WL and then they keep going in order until the class is filled. Of course, after that if we donā€™t get off the list we get the R.

Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted last week but VCU doesnā€™t show up on my Choose Your Med School tool. Anyone else have this problem?

I was accepted last week but VCU doesnā€™t show up on my Choose Your Med School tool. Anyone else have this problem?
Congrats on the acceptance! I've heard/read on here of this going on for a few people. General consensus is that it's nothing more than an administrative thing on their end. Definitely nothing to worry over. Also do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Congrats on the acceptance! I've heard/read on here of this going on for a few people. General consensus is that it's nothing more than an administrative thing on their end. Definitely nothing to worry over. Also do you mind sharing when you interviewed?
Feb 14

Same here! I figured they were just a little slow to get things processed. I hope they send financial aid info soon...

nope, 3/1 interview & radio silence since the hold email
A small part of me thinks they might still send out acceptances to March applicants in the next few weeks. Not based on anything but it seems like in general they are behind, which seems to be a common threat with schools anymore lol

Any WL email sent out so far? or literally anything for people who didn't get the A?

Alternate list email:

We anticipate withdrawals from our existing class over the next several months, with peak turnover of seats typically occuring in the April - May timeframe. It is at this time that candidates who hold multiple seats are asked to finalize their decisions. We do not give out any details on the rank of candidates on the Alternate List, but be assured we will notify you immediately when, and if, we are able to offer you an acceptance. Further, only those candiates with a reasonable chance of receiving a potenital offer are invited to join the Alternate List. In the event that we do not have sufficient withdrawals to be able to offer you a seat, you will be notified in late-July or earlier.

We found you to be a strong candidate and the large applicant pool is the primary reason that we are unable to make an offer at this time. If you are not accepted elsewhere, you should reapply early even if you still remain on our Alternate List. If you wait for final notification from us, it may put you at a disadvantage for the subsequent application year. Reapplication should occur only after consideration and consultation of how to strengthen your profile.

Not that it will change how I respond, but does anyone know why they would ask whether we currently hold a seat at another institution for the alternate list?

Not that it will change how I respond, but does anyone know why they would ask whether we currently hold a seat at another institution for the alternate list?

Had the same question and was overthinking it too. But ultimately I imagine itā€™s for their internal data more than anything. I canā€™t imagine they would use that answer to determine whether they would offer you a seat. That seems overly shady even for this process. Doesnā€™t it?

Had the same question and was overthinking it too. But ultimately I imagine itā€™s for their internal data more than anything. I canā€™t imagine they would use that answer to determine whether they would offer you a seat. That seems overly shady even for this process. Doesnā€™t it?
I agree, I believe it is for data collection purposes and will not affect how candidates are ranked on the waitlist.

how many people usually get off their waitlist?