TUCOM-NV Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is painful.

my own mother said shed love me a little less if i dont get accepted.

but not as sad as the lakers must feel right now!

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
now that was just low! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

now that was just low! :laugh:

Skip ( and once I meet you I will always call you Skip/Skipper because of my unending appreciation for mafia movies)

but you will find that I provide much comic relief, that you are more than welcome to enjoy if we become classmates.

lets just hope it works out.

Skip ( and once I meet you I will always call you Skip/Skipper because of my unending appreciation for mafia movies)

but you will find that I provide much comic relief, that you are more than welcome to enjoy if we become classmates.

lets just hope it works out.

Skip sounds good to me...

i'm hoping for the best everyday...but were already midway through june and there have only been a handful of people moving off the waitlist...so much for 50 people moving off...

so yeah..time to wake up and smell the coffee...I just don't want to wait till next august.. :(

anybody wanna join me at the caribbeans in january?

Members don't see this ad :)
Skip sounds good to me...

i'm hoping for the best everyday...but were already midway through june and there have only been a handful of people moving off the waitlist...so much for 50 people moving off...

so yeah..time to wake up and smell the coffee...I just don't want to wait till next august.. :(

aren't you on the accepted waitlist? at least you'd be picked from the highest waitlist...

are you guys not reapplying?

aren't you on the accepted waitlist? at least you'd be picked from the highest waitlist...

are you guys not reapplying?

I am on the highwaitlist.

is there a possibility of me being picked in your opinion?

Last edited:

yeah disregard my last comment...had a moment of weakness...

I'm planning on reapplying but holding off hoping this works out because I won't have enough time to study for mcat before next cycle ends so I'll have to be applying for the class of 2016...can't imagine waiting that long..

Hence the moment of weekness

I'm planning on reapplying but holding off hoping this works out because I won't have enough time to study for mcat before next cycle ends so I'll have to be applying for the class of 2016...can't imagine waiting that long..

Are you not going to try to re-apply with your current MCAT this year? I know that Touro accepts quite a few re-applicants. You got this far, right?

Hum...the waiting is killing me......maybe I should make up my mind to SMP...

Are you not going to try to re-apply with your current MCAT this year? I know that Touro accepts quite a few re-applicants. You got this far, right?

I just dunno how far this 23 will get me this time around... Bi honestly dunno how it got me this far this year..

28 R MCAT

3.0 GPA.

Ive taken 20 units of Graduate Level Courses in biology however and maintained a 4.0 average

do you guys think that those grades are enough or should I go forth with one complete year of Masters courses and retake my MCAT.

I *expletive* hate that test!

Members don't see this ad :)
28 R MCAT

3.0 GPA.

Ive taken 20 units of Graduate Level Courses in biology however and maintained a 4.0 average

do you guys think that those grades are enough or should I go forth with one complete year of Masters courses and retake my MCAT.

When did u apply this past cycle? And how broadly?

Is it just me or does it seem like the waitlist at most schools is moving much slower than expected from previous years?

Ive been checking a few threads and there are only a handful of waitlist acceptances...

28 R MCAT

3.0 GPA.

I really couldn't tell you ... I don't necessarily think that your MCAT is the problem, although it could be higher, but so could mine. If you're applying to DO schools, a 28 seems rather acceptable a score. Was your MCAT score distribution skewed? What was your undergrad major? Did you get many interviews this cycle? Does your PS need work? What is your undergrad science GPA? I had a 3.4 GPA but many hours of clinical volunteering and undergrad research and many hours of DO shadowing. Do you feel that your LORs are strong? How do you think you interviewed? Do you have any poor grades that stand out? Withdrawals from classes? This sounds weird, but ... have you committed a crime? See, for me, I know that I can pinpoint my MCAT score as the weakest point of my app. It is impossible to know why a specific school chooses one applicant over another, but it is helpful to examine your own credentials and try to determine what you think hindered you this year.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does it seem like the waitlist at most schools is moving much slower than expected from previous years?

Ive been checking a few threads and there are only a handful of waitlist acceptances...

I noticed the same thing, too, which is really unfortunate for all of us.

Yeah I've noticed the same as well....it's not good for us that things are moving slowly, but it is good news that other schools are in the same boat...because my theory is that the timeline is shifted this year and that there still will be movement across the nation of schools, just later...ah the wait is getting to me now despite my positive thinking....:(

Yeah I've noticed the same as well....it's not good for us that things are moving slowly, but it is good news that other schools are in the same boat...because my theory is that the timeline is shifted this year and that there still will be movement across the nation of schools, just later...ah the wait is getting to me now despite my positive thinking....:(

yeah thats what am hoping for too..people are holding onto multiple acceptances for longer than they did in previous years. But sooner or later they're all gonna have to make a decision and there will be a big rush of people moving across the nation. I just hope we don't find out the day before...

oh, and welcome to the club...i've become a nervous wreck..

Edit: And don't forget guys...the top 3 people on the accepted waitlist will be asked to come in on the first day of orientation in case anybody drops their seat at that time. If nobody drops their seat then those 3 individuals would be guaranteed acceptance for the class of 2015....so there are still 3 of us who are guaranteed a spot for next year...

yeah thats what am hoping for too..people are holding onto multiple acceptances for longer than they did in previous years.

Edit: And don't forget guys...the top 3 people on the accepted waitlist will be asked to come in on the first day of orientation in case anybody drops their seat at that time. If nobody drops their seat then those 3 individuals would be guaranteed acceptance for the class of 2015....so there are still 3 of us who are guaranteed a spot for next year...

Yeah ... wait list movement at my state school has been much faster than usual this year ... they've taken 70 already from their wait list for a class of 135.

And are we sure that the orientation thing still applies and that those 3 get acceptance for next year still? I mean since lots of other things have changed, that may have as well ... :(

Yeah ... wait list movement at my state school has been much faster than usual this year ... they've taken 70 already from their wait list for a class of 135.

And are we sure that the orientation thing still applies and that those 3 get acceptance for next year still? I mean since lots of other things have changed, that may have as well ... :(

Yeah? Ur in Cali right? Ur state school is MD right? If so, I was only referring to the DO schools waitlists...I haven't checked on any of the MD stuff..

And I really hope it still applies because it's the only thing keeping me from losing all hope...assuming I'm in the top 3 (or will be in the top 3 after all movement stops)..

Any word from Oscar anyone?

Yeah? Ur in Cali right? Ur state school is MD right? If so, I was only referring to the DO schools waitlists...I haven't checked on any of the MD stuff..

And I really hope it still applies because it's the only thing keeping me from losing all hope...assuming I'm in the top 3 (or will be in the top 3 after all movement stops)..

Any word from Oscar anyone?

No, not in CA. I'm in AZ. Yeah, my state school is MD. I'm from a state with 3 huge public universities (one of which is the largest public university in the country - my alma mater) and yet we have 1 public medical school with 180 spots (2 locations) AND they accept out-of-state students now. Even including the 2 DO schools, we only have a total of about 500 medical school spots each year for students. That's pretty pathetic considering Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the U.S. Lol, sorry, I'm just a little bitter about the lack of educational opportunities in AZ. Can I mark "disadvantaged status" on AMCAS simply because I'm from AZ? :D

Yeah, about the orientation thing ... I'm just trying to not get my hopes up about anything anymore. I believe once students have matriculated at a school, they can't take an acceptance at another school, so there really won't be any movement once that's happened. I don't know when students register.

.... Can I mark "disadvantaged status" on AMCAS simply because I'm from AZ? :D...

speaking of which..does anyone know how o evaluate whether u r "disadvantaged" or not and what ate the reprocussions of marking yes?

Hey all, holding out hope for all you high and accepted waitlisters! Just as I'm holding out hope that some time in the moderately near future I'll get a call from LECOM-B.

I re-applied for next cycle so maybe I'll see you guys on campus when I interview next fall :thumbup:

Oh and....

speaking of which..does anyone know how o evaluate whether u r "disadvantaged" or not and what ate the reprocussions of marking yes?

Did you live in an area where there were so few physicians that you could not get proper medical care? If no, you are not in an underserved area

Did your family's extremely low income contribute to a different lifestyle and put you at a disadvantage with the rest of children your age?

Basically, disadvantaged would be your family was on welfare, you did not get a complete childhood and you were forced to work starting at an extremely young age in order to help support your family. Because of this you did not get a normal K-12 experience and did not have the same opportunities as other children your age you'd be considered disadvantaged.

Personally, except in extreme circumstances I'd avoid the disadvantaged tag and if you are going to say yes, be ready to have a valid reason and defend that status at your interviews. I'd say marking disadvantaged and then having your interviewer not believe its true or find it valid is a faster way to get your application thrown out than telling them DO is a backup and a scam and you don't like their school :laugh:

Hey all, holding out hope for all you high and accepted waitlisters! Just as I'm holding out hope that some time in the moderately near future I'll get a call from LECOM-B.

I re-applied for next cycle so maybe I'll see you guys on campus when I interview next fall :thumbup:

Oh and....

Did you live in an area where there were so few physicians that you could not get proper medical care? If no, you are not in an underserved area

Did your family's extremely low income contribute to a different lifestyle and put you at a disadvantage with the rest of children your age?

Basically, disadvantaged would be your family was on welfare, you did not get a complete childhood and you were forced to work starting at an extremely young age in order to help support your family. Because of this you did not get a normal K-12 experience and did not have the same opportunities as other children your age you'd be considered disadvantaged.

Personally, except in extreme circumstances I'd avoid the disadvantaged tag and if you are going to say yes, be ready to have a valid reason and defend that status at your interviews. I'd say marking disadvantaged and then having your interviewer not believe its true or find it valid is a faster way to get your application thrown out than telling them DO is a backup and a scam and you don't like their school :laugh:

Haha awesome info! And good luck at LECOM-B...if it's meant to be it'll happen..just keep doin ur part man..

Yes, as far as the disadvantaged thing goes, it seems you'd know if you were legitimately economically disadvantaged. I mean obviously it's not clear-cut, but for most of us, it isn't a hard thing to decide. While AMCAS designated my county as one that is medically under-served (I noticed this on my application after it was processed last year), I personally could certainly not claim that I was disadvantaged in any way, since I was brought up in a middle-class home and always had access to adequate medical care. And of course, it would essentially be lying, or at least being deceitful if you were to claim you were disadvantaged, when you really were not. And you can imagine how the adcoms would look upon an applicant who is lying on their application.

Oh yeah, and good luck, Dan! I'm rooting for you at LECOM! It seems weird, but I totally feel like I have this bond with you SDNers, even though I don't know half of your real names ... mine's Melissa, in case you couldn't tell. =D

...It seems weird, but I totally feel like I have this bond with you SDNers, even though I don't know half of your real names ... mine's Melissa, in case you couldn't tell. =D

I know EXACTLY what u mean!! Im Paul (unfortunately my real name isn't skippy lol)

I know EXACTLY what u mean!! Im Paul (unfortunately my real name isn't skippy lol)

Hi, Paul from New Jersey. Yeah, I know we're supposed to be all anonymous and all, but I know I kind of blew that from the getgo when I chose my handle. Anyway, I really don't think it matters unless you're planning on saying negative things about your fellow SDNers or the schools, which isn't very cool. I say screw anonymity. The most negative thing I can say about Touro right now is Pleeeeeease acceeept meeeeeeeee.

Yeah! Screw anonymity!! And two cheers for the rebellion..

Hip hip--

(...anybody?)

Hey everyone. I'm giving up my seat at TUN, so hopefully it goes to one of you guys.

Randomly the other night I had a dream that I came on here and a bunch of you guys had gotten calls off the waitlist lol. Doesn't look like it happened yet, but who knows, maybe it will! I guess it's a sign that I go online too much if I'm doing it in my dreams.

Hi everyone. I'm applying this cycle to Touro-NV, but I had a question for those of you who already went through the process.

How strict are they on their 8 credit English requirement? I didn't even notice it before I applied. I currently have 2 English courses, but they are only 3 credits each, so I'm 2 credits short. I could squeeze in some English course if necessary, but it seems like a waste of time and money.

TIA and good luck to all those still waiting. :)

Randomly the other night I had a dream that I came on here and a bunch of you guys had gotten calls off the waitlist lol. Doesn't look like it happened yet, but who knows, maybe it will! I guess it's a sign that I go online too much if I'm doing it in my dreams.

Maybe it's a prophecy!! We'll see by the end of the day if anyone on SDN get a call.
:xf: hopefully me;)

Hi everyone. I'm applying this cycle to Touro-NV, but I had a question for those of you who already went through the process.

How strict are they on their 8 credit English requirement? I didn't even notice it before I applied. I currently have 2 English courses, but they are only 3 credits each, so I'm 2 credits short. I could squeeze in some English course if necessary, but it seems like a waste of time and money.

I would call the admissions office to confirm but most schools are pretty strict on that. U can take the class online if u want..it's not a science course so it won't hurt u by taking it online but since it is an admissions requirement then I think they will enforce it.

Again, contact the admissions office to check.

I would call the admissions office to confirm but most schools are pretty strict on that. U can take the class online if u want..it's not a science course so it won't hurt u by taking it online but since it is an admissions requirement then I think they will enforce it.

Again, contact the admissions office to check.

Thanks. I was hoping other writing intensive courses might be ok for those last 2 credits. I guess I will start looking for an online English course if I get a secondary. There is a "Fantasy and Science Fiction" English class being offered at a local school. That sounds like it would be pretty cool.

Thanks. I was hoping other writing intensive courses might be ok for those last 2 credits. I guess I will start looking for an online English course if I get a secondary. There is a "Fantasy and Science Fiction" English class being offered at a local school. That sounds like it would be pretty cool.

Writing intensive courses DO satisfy the English requirement. They're still English classes...they worked for me..

I thought u didn't want to take ANY other English courses at all.. You should be good with the writing int

Hmm according to page 145 of the 2009-2010 catalog, English courses aren't under the minimum required courses. Most medical schools require it though. Oh and yeah if you took intensive writing that should do it. I took intensive writing too and only had two English courses that amounted to 10 quarter units (about 6.6 semester units) and that covered the pre-reqs for all the med schools I applied to.

Last edited:

Hey, I took 2 English courses that were 3 credits each also, so I only had 6 English credits. I actually had no idea about the 8-credit requirement until you just mentioned it. Although I did take some honors English-like writing/humanities/lit courses. So, I'm going to guess that it's not that big of a deal. But of course, double checking with the admissions office wouldn't hurt.

Writing intensive courses DO satisfy the English requirement. They're still English classes...they worked for me..

I thought u didn't want to take ANY other English courses at all.. You should be good with the writing int

I'm taking a 2 credit research course next semester where we have to write a long research paper using peer reviewed literature. It's not under the ENG dept, but I would think that would be more helpful to me than taking an online ENG course. I wonder if that would work.

Hmm according to page 145 of the 2009-2010 catalog, English courses aren't under the minimum required courses. Most medical schools require it though. Oh and yeah if you took intensive writing that should do it. I took intensive writing too and only had two English courses that amounted to 10 quarter units (about 6.6 semester units) and that covered the pre-reqs for all the med schools I applied to.

It must have changed this year. In the new CIB it says 8 credits. I didn't even notice it until I saw on my submitted app to Touro-NV that I was short 2 credits in English.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. If I get a secondary, I'll ask them about this. Otherwise, I just registered for ENG 233 Fantasy and Science Fiction online this fall. I thought it was better to register and drop if I don't need it than to have the class be full and have to take Intro to Composition II or something.

Last edited:
I'm a respiratory therapy major, and I'm taking a 2 credit research course next semester where we have to write a long research paper using peer reviewed literature. The professor has written several textbooks, and requires near perfect writing. It's obviously not under the ENG dept, but I would think that would be more helpful to me than taking an online ENG course. I wonder if that would work.

You don't need the online course if u have taken or are planning on taking a writing intensive course. That's how it worked for me and Melissa and Namelus confirmed the same info..

Hurray! Oh and my name is actually my username backwards...pretty cool huh

That's actually ridiculously clever. I already thought your username was pretty clever. My name backwards is Assilem ... ha ha. Hello there, Suleman.

I would advise no one on the waitlists to reveal their first and last names just in case some overzealous waitlister decides to call in pretending to be you and withdraws your name from consideration..

that being said my name is John Jacob, son of a black smith. I have lived in the Alaskan Wilderness for the last 18 years.

O and I own a pack of siberian huskiess which serve both as my best friends and transportation.

Haha good call! We'll keep it to first name.

I wonder if any of us will be getting mrjwp's seat.. And if so how long before Oscar calls...there has been only 3 people accepted off the waitlist since we started talking here...and navyrick dropped his seat..and aaroon was asking questions about dropping so that's another possible...and now another seat is dropped..where r the calls?!?

my name is Rajan and I'm from bay area, ca. Talking to you guys on this forum is the only thing that gives me little hope that I might have a chance. Still, I think I have accepted the fact if I'm going to get a call, it will be the day before classes start because of the whole 90% deposit refund policy. and I'm only on the regular wait list also, so things are a little worse. but really hope you guys on the accepted waitlist start getting calls soon.

go lakers and go USA

That's actually ridiculously clever. I already thought your username was pretty clever. My name backwards is Assilem ... ha ha. Hello there, Suleman.

Thanks Melissa...nice to cyber meet you all...

Haha good call! We'll keep it to first name.

I wonder if any of us will be getting mrjwp's seat.. And if so how long before Oscar calls...there has been only 3 people accepted off the waitlist since we started talking here...and navyrick dropped his seat..and aaroon was asking questions about dropping so that's another possible...and now another seat is dropped..where r the calls?!?

You know what I think....is that they are holding onto calling until they have like a bunch of spots, so they can avoid calls...cause you know once they start calling and we know about it, people will start calling them...just a guess or a hopeful guess.