TUCOM-NV Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted waitlist
melissaliss (waitlisted at 2 other schools)
Futuredr1183
Skippygonenuts
SheperdCohen
svftw
GT2009 (waitlisted at PCOM-GA and LECOM-Bradenton)
Acesup123 (waitlisted at 1 other school)
namelus (waitlisted at another, but I really want to go to TouroN!)
doc90211 (Accepted at Western)
rayraydolly (Accepted at RVU)
island dweller - Accepted 5/26!
navyrick - Accepted 05/26 - Turned down going to PCOM
Aar0n - Accepted 06/08
eccool Accepted 7/6!

High Waitlist
10guagesyringe

Regular waitlist (They don't tell you rank yet)
newmoon
PersiannDO
DbDan (also at LECOM-B)
daithi (waiting for a decision from another school)
nutellaicecream (waitlisted at another school)
abcdocDO
Kimbers
caliboy510

Members don't see this ad.

I got the call this morning at 8:26!!! woohoo! now i can finally buy a laptop (the one their focing me to buy) AND go on short vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted waitlist
Futuredr1183
Skippygonenuts
svftw
Aar0n - Accepted 06/08
eccool - Accepted 7/6!
SheperdCohen - Accepted 7/6!

High Waitlist
10guagesyringe

newmoon
PersiannDO
DbDan (also at LECOM-B)
abcdocDO
Kimbers
caliboy510

Hey, happy to hear that you guys have gotten in! I'm sure you wish it would have been a month ago, but best of luck with the move and all. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Accepted waitlist
Futuredr1183
Skippygonenuts
svftw
Aar0n - Accepted 06/08
eccool - Accepted 7/6!

High Waitlist
10guagesyringe

Regular waitlist
newmoon
PersiannDO
DbDan (also at LECOM-B)
abcdocDO
Kimbers
caliboy510

--

Oh snap, congratulations you guys!! I'm going to Vegas on Thursday. haha

Hopefully less than 10 of you accepted-waitlisters until they get to the waitlist! :)

Hey, happy to hear that you guys have gotten in! I'm sure you wish it would have been a month ago, but best of luck with the move and all. Would you mind sharing your stats?

I had a 3.26 GPA and a 29MCAT (9/9/11 verbal) and lots of volunteer and work experience with doctors and at the hospital.

Hi guys!
I got the call from Oscar yesterday :) There is still hope for you guys...hang in there!

to cope i have been watching many episodes of Las Vegas on TNT.

Although, I cringe and am brought to tears whenever they mention Henderson.

Me: cGPA 3.34, MCAT 31, usual volunteer, shadowing, research experiences, new immigrants:)

I had a 3.26 GPA and a 29MCAT (9/9/11 verbal) and lots of volunteer and work experience with doctors and at the hospital.

Me: cGPA 3.34, MCAT 31, usual volunteer, shadowing, research experiences, new immigrants:)

Lol, I don't know why I ask anyway, since there isn't so much rhyme or reason to the process. I guess I'm just hoping I could be next ... anyone could be! You guys both did quite a bit better on the MCAT, but I have a 3.4 GPA. Lots of volunteer and research, but it seems that's standard these days. Impossible to know how they make these decisions. I'm just glad that someone is getting accepted!

Last edited:
Accepted waitlist
Skippygonenuts
svftw
Aar0n - Accepted 06/08
eccool - Accepted 7/6!
Futuredr1183 - Accepted 7/6!

High Waitlist
10guagesyringe

newmoon
PersiannDO
DbDan (also at LECOM-B)
abcdocDO
Kimbers

Members don't see this ad :)
to cope i have been watching many episodes of Las Vegas on TNT.

Although, I cringe and am brought to tears whenever they mention Henderson.

haha I've been watching those Las Vegas reruns also.

Congrats to those accepted! Good luck to those, including me, still waiting!

Lol, I don't know why I ask anyway, since there isn't so much rhyme or reason to the process. I guess I'm just hoping I could be next ... anyone could be! You guys both did quite a bit better on the MCAT (I got a 25 ... it's my downfall), but I have a 3.4 GPA. Lots of volunteer and research, but it seems that's standard these days. Impossible to know how they make these decisions. I'm just glad that someone is getting accepted!

Looks like there is a bit of a trend actually. Navyrick had a 33 I think..these guys have 31 and 29. I don't know about the other people but I'm sure it's no coincidence that these higher mcats were on the top of the list..at least now they've probably gone through the 30s and are now in the 20s..which reassures me some more that I am on the bottom of the list..

I emailed Oscar earlier to ask about the policy regarding having a few students from the wait list attend orientation. I vaguely remember him mentioning it at the interview but don't remember any details so I just asked if he could explain it to me and told him I'm still interested. He hasn't responded yet though.

Hang in there guys! I feel like ... I was all ready to re-apply and had given up hope on any movement and then - BAM! 3 of you get in yesterday and now I'm all nervous again. This experience is such a roller coaster.

I emailed Oscar earlier to ask about the policy regarding having a few students from the wait list attend orientation. I vaguely remember him mentioning it at the interview but don't remember any details so I just asked if he could explain it to me and told him I'm still interested. He hasn't responded yet though.

Hang in there guys! I feel like ... I was all ready to re-apply and had given up hope on any movement and then - BAM! 3 of you get in yesterday and now I'm all nervous again. This experience is such a roller coaster.

Wish you best of luck because I felt the same as you do! I was giving up and planning to move to East Coast for my SMP, and now it has just totally changed my plan.

I JUST GOT THE CALL!!!!!! IM IN!!!

Got the call at 4:40 PM PST!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!! I LOST ALL HOPE!!! I APPLIED TO PODIATRY SCHOOL!! I was just paying for my ticket to maimi for an interview on monday!!

I'm still trying to catch my breath...its clearly still moving...never know whose next...

Good luck guys!

I JUST GOT THE CALL!!!!!! IM IN!!!

Got the call at 4:40 PM PST!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!! I LOST ALL HOPE!!! I APPLIED TO PODIATRY SCHOOL!! I was just paying for my ticket to maimi for an interview on monday!!

I'm still trying to catch my breath...its clearly still moving...never know whose next...

Good luck guys!

Hey Congrats man and to you all! Hopefully the rest of us will hear soon, now that things are starting to move.

All you newbies, come over to the Facebook page!!! Congrats!!!!

Just request to join, it was a protective mechanism to prevent spammers and add pushers onto our wall. Piece of cake.

Again, Congratulations and Welcome!!!!

Regards

I'M ACCEPTED TOO!!! I got the call at about 4:45PM. Funny story ... the one moment I didn't have my phone on me for like 5 minutes, Oscar calls. At like 4:50, I go look at my phone and see that I have a missed call from a 702 number and I'm freaking out. I listen to the voicemail, and it's like, "Melissa, this is Oscar Parra, director of admissions with Touro University. This is one of those times that you need to answer your phone. I really need to speak with you. Please call me back." So I call him back right away ... and he doesn't answer! I called again and he answered and offered me a spot, and I'm in! I can't believe it! So it's moving fast guys. Don't give up! I have to admit, I'm pretty stressed out about moving so soon. When are you guys making the move? I think I'm moving July 23rd.

Accepted waitlist
Aar0n - Accepted 06/08
eccool - Accepted 7/6!
Futuredr1183 - Accepted 7/6!
Skippygonenuts - Accepted 7/8!
melissaliss - Accepted 7/8!

High Waitlist
10guagesyringe

newmoon
PersiannDO
DbDan (also at LECOM-B)
abcdocDO
Kimbers

Congrats to all just got accepted!!!:) We are classmates now!

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted recently. I was just wondering if you guys sent in a letter of intent or an update letter since June or transcripts of your spring semester grades. I haven't done any of these things since Oscar mentioned in the email that the waitlists have already been ranked. Everyone seems to be getting off the accepted waitlist except me :(

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted recently. I was just wondering if you guys sent in a letter of intent or an update letter since June or transcripts of your spring semester grades. I haven't done any of these things since Oscar mentioned in the email that the waitlists have already been ranked. Everyone seems to be getting off the accepted waitlist except me :(
Hey, I feel for you because I felt exactly like you do just yesterday. Don't give up yet. The only thing I sent was a letter of interest after being put on the wait list back in March. I've been out of school for 2 years and thus have no transcripts to send. It is ranked and they are just going down the list. Hang in there. I have a feeling they will accept a few more. Same goes for the rest of you!

i really wish we knew

1) how many spots are left

2) how many people they have accepted off the wait list

3) how many wait listers remain.

congratulations to all of you got in these past week. All you guys had been waiting for so long, I'm happy for you guys. just hoping I will get to meet all of you too now if I get accepted, crossing my fingers I get the call soon also

I just sent a letter like in late April...an update and interest letter....you're not alone....I haven't received the call yet either and I'm on the Accepted Waitlist. We'll hear soon! I know it!

I just got my acceptance deferred till next year. Some technical issues so the school says it won't be possible to start this year. at least I don't have to go thro all of this again.

hope one of u guys here gets my seat. They probably won't offer the seat till Monday so sit tight. good luck guys. see u there next year!

I just got my acceptance deferred till next year. Some technical issues so the school says it won't be possible to start this year. at least I don't have to go thro all of this again.

hope one of u guys here gets my seat. They probably won't offer the seat till Monday so sit tight. good luck guys. see u there next year!

were u the last seat?

were the technical issues for all remaining waitlisters or just unique in your case?

in either case congrats, and heres to hoping they have enough seats to get into the high waitlist.

were u the last seat?

were the technical issues for all remaining waitlisters or just unique in your case?

in either case congrats, and heres to hoping they have enough seats to get into the high waitlist.

No it was just a unique case to my situation so others do not have to worry about that. I don't know any other info tho to be honest. But at least u know one seat should be offered Monday..

Hey does anybody who visits this thread - incoming students, current students, etc, know why the TUNCOM/Valley Hospital Dermatology residency is being "phased out?" According to the opportunities.osteopathic.org website:

How many new trainees do you intend to recruit next year?

None, program is being phased out.

Any info??

Accepted to PHD program at UC yesterday.

This does not please me .

Want to attend Touro.

Am Sad.

very sad.

Want to attend Touro.

Am Sad.

very sad.

congrats!! Thats nothing to be upset abot..always remember there are so many other people that wish they were in your place. don't worry, everything always works out for the better in the long run.

Hey does anybody who visits this thread - incoming students, current students, etc, know why the TUNCOM/Valley Hospital Dermatology residency is being "phased out?" According to the opportunities.osteopathic.org website:

Any info??

Wow!! i never even noticed that....thats quite a shame...that was definitely a bigg plus for the school.

Would anybody happen to know where I can find the deferral policy for Touro Nevada?

Looked in the student handbook but couldn't find it there..

Any info??

Sorry, couldn't answer that one. Most of us are new students or applicants, so we don't really have that kind of info. You'd probably have to contact the organization of hospital, but they'd probably just give you some sort of generic response anyway.

Want to attend Touro.

Am Sad.

very sad.

Congratulations! I know it seems bittersweet, but you should be very proud of yourself for getting accepted. I've heard from many people that PhD programs are quite competitive. And if you truly want to be a doctor, then I think you know what you need to do. Best of luck to you. =)

Want to attend Touro.

Am Sad.

very sad.

hey don't say its over till its over. there's still some hope left, you never know...prepare for the worst expect the best

I am withdrawing my acceptance tomorrow. I wish everyone luck.

So, I walked into Touro this afternoon to find out what the situation is. Drove from California. Looks grim....the two standby students have been chosen already. The accepted waitlist was definitely more than 20 students. I'm not sure how many more but I'm thinking quite a bit. I thought I was for sure in being on the accepted waitlist; not true. Looks like I will have to re-apply. :(
Dang! Congrats to you all that got in and best of luck to the rest of us.

Best,
Suleman

So, I walked into Touro this afternoon to find out what the situation is. Drove from California. Looks grim....the two standby students have been chosen already. The accepted waitlist was definitely more than 20 students. I'm not sure how many more but I'm thinking quite a bit. I thought I was for sure in being on the accepted waitlist; not true. Looks like I will have to re-apply. :(

Best,
Suleman

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that Suleman. I was really pulling for you and the others on here. Keep your head up, get your apps in ASAP, and remember that you are going to be a great doctor someday, even if it takes a little longer than you initially thought. I wish you all the best. Same goes for everyone else who is facing reapplication.

Best,
Suleman

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping for the best too. I think they may be reviewing apps in August, so let's get those reapps in!

Man this sucks, I thought I was in for sure too by being on the "Accepted" waitlist. Just started reviewing physics for the MCAT again, I'm so behind in my MCAT studying. Kind of wish that I had been rejected outright, I would have been a lot more focused on retaking the MCAT

Man this sucks, I thought I was in for sure too by being on the "Accepted" waitlist. Just started reviewing physics for the MCAT again, I'm so behind in my MCAT studying. Kind of wish that I had been rejected outright, I would have been a lot more focused on retaking the MCAT

The physics killed me on the MCAT. Just stay positive guys. I totally know what you mean, the whole wait list situation must really feel like a tease for you. I remember everyone saying the accepted wait list was a "sure thing" and I think the lack of movement this year threw all of us for a loop. Best of luck on the MCAT and I sincerely hope and feel confident that going into this application cycle with the knowledge and experience you gained will help all of you gain acceptance next year.