TUCOM-NV Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just withdrew...got $2900 back from my $3000 deposit.

Hope one of you gets my spot!!!! I'll check to see if someone does!

Good luck!

Thanks for keeping us updated, Navyrick. Best of luck to you at PCOM. Hopefully one of us gets your seat too, although haven't heard anything yet.

Got this email from Oscar this morning at 10:15 PST:

"Thank you for applying and interviewing for the Osteopathic Medicine Program at Touro University Nevada. The Admissions Committee would like to inform you of your status at our institution. You are currently in the Accepted-Wait List category. The Accepted-Wait List students have been ranked by the Admissions Committee. The rank will not be shared with any aspiring student. The Admissions staff will not share information with you nor respond to questions about your status. In the event there is an open seat for the Osteopathic Medicine Program, I will personally invite you to be part of the entering Class of 2010.
At TUN, we consider a number of variables in our decision. Those include MCAT, science hours, science GPA, overall GPA, admission interview, recommendations, and extracurricular activities.
The Admissions committee would like to encourage you to apply early for next year’s class. We will begin reviewing applications starting in August 2010 and will start selecting students to interview as early as September.
We are honored you chose our campus as a place to pursue your dream to become an osteopathic physician."

I'm assuming the other people on the accepted wait list got it as well? What a bummer. It's like, "just reminding you that you are on the accepted wait list. We will not be sharing any additional information with you, so don't bother trying. Things aren't looking good, so you should probably look into re-applying now."

Are those of you who are re-applying adding something to your PS about being on the wait lists? What it taught you or made you realize or something? Or should I just not mention that?

Members don't see this ad.

Are those of you who are re-applying adding something to your PS about being on the wait lists? What it taught you or made you realize or something? Or should I just not mention that?

I chose not to. There are a few secondaries which will have questions about whether or not you are a re-applicant. That is where I am going to write what I've learned both about the process and myself by being on waitlists and how i've improved my application. I basically wrote my PS like I had never before applied.

Me too. But interestingly my email's title is like: Waitlist Status: Touro University Nevada #<---# is a number. Is that our ranking? Or am I thinking too much??:confused:

Thanks for keeping us updated, Navyrick. Best of luck to you at PCOM. Hopefully one of us gets your seat too, although haven't heard anything yet.

Got this email from Oscar this morning at 10:15 PST:

"Thank you for applying and interviewing for the Osteopathic Medicine Program at Touro University Nevada. The Admissions Committee would like to inform you of your status at our institution. You are currently in the Accepted-Wait List category. The Accepted-Wait List students have been ranked by the Admissions Committee. The rank will not be shared with any aspiring student. The Admissions staff will not share information with you nor respond to questions about your status. In the event there is an open seat for the Osteopathic Medicine Program, I will personally invite you to be part of the entering Class of 2010.
At TUN, we consider a number of variables in our decision. Those include MCAT, science hours, science GPA, overall GPA, admission interview, recommendations, and extracurricular activities.
The Admissions committee would like to encourage you to apply early for next year’s class. We will begin reviewing applications starting in August 2010 and will start selecting students to interview as early as September.
We are honored you chose our campus as a place to pursue your dream to become an osteopathic physician."

I'm assuming the other people on the accepted wait list got it as well? What a bummer. It's like, "just reminding you that you are on the accepted wait list. We will not be sharing any additional information with you, so don't bother trying. Things aren't looking good, so you should probably look into re-applying now."

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. But interestingly my email's title is like: Waitlist Status: Touro University Nevada #<---# is a number. Is that our ranking? Or am I thinking too much??:confused:

Huh, interesting. I just looked back at mine and saw the same thing. Mine has a 4. Does yours also have a 4? If it's the same number, then it's probably just a 4, as in people on the low-wait list got 1, middle got 2, high got 3, and we got 4? Since they sent them in that order?

Melissa, as you know I'm on the accepted waitlist and got the exact same message. I dont' understand why they're not letting us know the rankings. I think it's so unfair. Have you decided to re-apply? I was thinking about it, and I don't think it would make sense (for me) to re-apply without re-taking the MCAT. It's almost like a catch 22 for me because it's too late to study for the MCAT and re-apply this year...worse case scenario I'll retake the MCAT and reapply next year :( I really, really, really hope and pray we get in this year though!

Yep Mine is 4. :(

Huh, interesting. I just looked back at mine and saw the same thing. Mine has a 4. Does yours also have a 4? If it's the same number, then it's probably just a 4, as in people on the low-wait list got 1, middle got 2, high got 3, and we got 4? Since they sent them in that order?

I just withdrew...got $2900 back from my $3000 deposit.

Hope one of you gets my spot!!!! I'll check to see if someone does!

Good luck!

Got into PCOM? This is awesome news for the both of us

edit: I got the same email also with a 4. And loved the conclusion of reapply early..basically telling us were probably not getting in. Well somebody has to get in now that navyrick is out...nevertheless I think this helped me make my decision to reapply for next year and if a miracle happens I'll consider the money invested..

U guys think we would be at an advantage as applicants for next year?

Last edited:
? my email has a 3 on the top of it, in the title at least.

what are we assuming these numbers mean?

edit: nvm read above

i dont think Oscar's email mentioned this, but are we allowed to ask how many seats have been filled or vacated?

i dont think Oscar's email mentioned this, but are we allowed to ask how many seats have been filled or vacated?

It wasn't mentioned specifically, but they haven't been willing to tell us much, so they probably won't share that information. However, we're already all ranked, there isn't any harm in asking. It would be helpful information for all of us to know. Let us know what you find out.

On another note, this is a general app question: do we really have to send those transcript request forms with our transcripts to AMCAS/AACOMAS? It would be like 100x easier if I could just request my transcripts from my schools online and not have to mail that request form and a money order.

It wasn't mentioned specifically, but they haven't been willing to tell us much, so they probably won't share that information. However, we're already all ranked, there isn't any harm in asking. It would be helpful information for all of us to know. Let us know what you find out.

On another note, this is a general app question: do we really have to send those transcript request forms with our transcripts to AMCAS/AACOMAS? It would be like 100x easier if I could just request my transcripts from my schools online and not have to mail that request form and a money order.

I didn't send it the request form this past cycle. Things worked out fine for me...except for the not being accepted part...That parts a bummer

Melissa, as you know I'm on the accepted waitlist and got the exact same message. I dont' understand why they're not letting us know the rankings. I think it's so unfair. Have you decided to re-apply? I was thinking about it, and I don't think it would make sense (for me) to re-apply without re-taking the MCAT. It's almost like a catch 22 for me because it's too late to study for the MCAT and re-apply this year...worse case scenario I'll retake the MCAT and reapply next year :( I really, really, really hope and pray we get in this year though!

I pulled out my MCAT books this week. Part of me is hoping that I won't have to worry about it again and I'll get accepted sometime soon, but another realistic part of me is saying retake it. I heard that you can submit your AACOMAS/AMCAS first with one school and mark that you're taking a future MCAT. As it's getting verified, you can take your MCAT, get your scores back and then add more schools/send your scores to the schools within a shorter amount of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that you can submit your AACOMAS/AMCAS first with one school and mark that you're taking a future MCAT. As it's getting verified, you can take your MCAT, get your scores back and then add more schools/send your scores to the schools within a shorter amount of time.

Hmm, that is probably correct, but schools won't look at your application until they have that score, so it could delay your application for a month or so, assuming that you can even get a seat in an MCAT for July. All of the ones within 50 miles of me are full for June/July. Also, I don't know about you, but I studied for several months before taking the MCAT the first time and would feel nervous about only studying for a month or so, especially since most schools only consider your most recent score. But then again, August isn't so late to apply.

Hmm, that is probably correct, but schools won't look at your application until they have that score, so it could delay your application for a month or so, assuming that you can even get a seat in an MCAT for July. All of the ones within 50 miles of me are full for June/July. Also, I don't know about you, but I studied for several months before taking the MCAT the first time and would feel nervous about only studying for a month or so, especially since most schools only consider your most recent score. But then again, August isn't so late to apply.

Don't some (or most) schools wait until your entire app is complete w/secondaries and LORs before reviewing it anyway? But yeah, it's a chance to take.

Well u would only apply to one school (preferrably the one u have the least chance of getting into. This would allow ur application to get verified and released. Then once ur mcat score comes u can choose to apply to more schools in which case ur primary would be released immeditely..

its Friday morning...8:15 PST...lets see if there are any lucky winners today..

I had the most unfair dream last nite.

My ex gf who broke up with me five years ago came back to me, and loved me more than ever

My dog who I had to put down last month was happy and playing in the backyard.

And I got accepted off the wait list.

and then.

I woke up, and realized none of that was true, and that the Celtics still lost game 1 of the finals.

I had the most unfair dream last nite.

My ex gf who broke up with me five years ago came back to me, and loved me more than ever

My dog who I had to put down last month was happy and playing in the backyard.

And I got accepted off the wait list.

and then.

I woke up, and realized none of that was true, and that the Celtics still lost game 1 of the finals.

:claps: lmfaoo

Don't some (or most) schools wait until your entire app is complete w/secondaries and LORs before reviewing it anyway? But yeah, it's a chance to take.

Hmm ... well I suppose that probably depends on whether they screen for secondaries or not, but I really don't know. From my experience, many of the M.D. schools do not screen but it seems like a lot of the D.O. schools do screen prior to sending secondaries. I don't know if they'd want that second score or not before sending a secondary.

It seems like none of us got Navyrick's seat. Sad.

On another note, the fact that there could be such late movement due to the fact that the deposit is refundable could actually work to our advantage. While it would suck to wait that long, if they have ~5 spots in Mid July they are going to have to go through a huge number of people to fill those spots because the majority who were waiting to get off other waitlists likely already would have and therefor have already put down deposits at other schools. Just an optimistic way of looking at it I suppose.

That's such a good point. Anyone who has another acceptance will have probably already moved by this point or at least already made housing arrangements. So they probably will turn it down because of how much hassle it would be to switch, and they'll need to go through a lot more people on the list than they would if it were happening right now. This could easily be really good for you guys, other than the fact that you have to move last-minute.

Ah...another Monday morning...admissions office opens in 15 minutes...prayin for some good news today..

Good luck everyone..

Just got the call from Oscar. I'm in!

Just got the call from Oscar. I'm in!

Congrats! You turned it down, right? :p

I feel half frustrated, half hopeful. In some sense, at least there is movement, but in the other, I can't help but feel like I'm at the bottom of that accepted wait list.

How do we think they determined the rankings? Stats + interviews + ECs + LORs? Lol, we should post our stats and try to figure out their rankings. Which I'm sure would be useless and incorrect.

Congrats! You turned it down, right? :p

I feel half frustrated, half hopeful. In some sense, at least there is movement, but in the other, I can't help but feel like I'm at the bottom of that accepted wait list.

How do we think they determined the rankings? Stats + interviews + ECs + LORs? Lol, we should post our stats and try to figure out their rankings. Which I'm sure would be useless and incorrect.

haha, I feel the same way...

I think you're right. It will be useless and incorrect. Who knows how they ranked it...it will come. There is some movement yay! :)

Accepted waitlist
melissaliss (waitlisted at 2 other schools)
doc90211
rayraydolly
Futuredr1183
Skippygonenuts
GT2009
Acesup123 (waitlisted at 1 other school)
svftw
navyrick - Accepted 05/26 - Turned down going to PCOM
namelus (waitlisted at another, but I really want to go to TouroN!)
Aar0n - Accepted 06/08
eccool
SheperdCohen
island dweller - Accepted 5/26!

Regular waitlist (They don't tell you rank yet)
newmoon
PersiannDO
DbDan (also at LECOM-B)
daithi (waiting for a decision from another school)
nutellaicecream (waitlisted at another school)
10guagesyringe
abcdocDO
Kimbers
caliboy510

I've been creepin' on the profiles of some of the others we haven't heard from in awhile who are also on the accepted wait list. It looks like rayraydolly is attending RVU and doc90211 is attending Western. So unless they decline those acceptances and decide to go to Touro, that's 2 spots that could go to one of us instead?

I've been creepin' on the profiles of some of the others we haven't heard from in awhile who are also on the accepted wait list. It looks like rayraydolly is attending RVU and doc90211 is attending Western. So unless they decline those acceptances and decide to go to Touro, that's 2 spots that could go to one of us instead?

That leaves us with 9 more people on the list who haven't heard anything. We have a total of 14 on the accepted waitlist--such an odd number. There has to be at least one more person on that's not on SDN, making the waitlist 15 people. Or maybe it's 20 people who knows.

Nonetheless, since we received that last email Oscar no longer picks up his phone, responds to emails or voicemails...or maybe it's just me...

Fml

so now that we have gotten emails from oscar are we still gonna hear something on June 15th? does anyone know? because I mean those emails didn't really tell us anything

so now that we have gotten emails from oscar are we still gonna hear something on June 15th? does anyone know? because I mean those emails didn't really tell us anything

I'm pretty sure that email was what we were supposed to receive on the 15th. But we were lucky enough to get them early (yay us, eh?)

The point of the letter was just to tell us that they won't be answering any of our questions so stop bothering.

Anyway, it's Wednesday morning..let's hope someone else hears something today..good luck

Anyone know when the last day to withdraw and get back $2900 of the $3000 deposit is?

Or when is registration?

Anyone know when the last day to withdraw and get back $2900 of the $3000 deposit is?

Or when is registration?

No idea about the withdrawl time, but the registration is supposed to start in a month or so. Join us on Facebook if you haven't Aar0n.

Congrats!!!!

Or when is registration?

is there a chance that you may be declining your seat? If so, that would be great news for us who have nowhere else to go and best of luck to you wherever you choose to go.

If not, then congrats again (but i'm really hoping you'll drop :))

EDIT: Would it be too much trouble to ask you for a favor on behalf of everyone. Would you be able to find out what was your spot on the wait list? Just so we know how far its been moving

Last edited:
EDIT: Would it be too much trouble to ask you for a favor on behalf of everyone. Would you be able to find out what was your spot on the wait list? Just so we know how far its been moving

Good idea Skippy! I tried calling Oscar AND the admissions office today, but there was no answer :(

Or when is registration?

I do not think there is any definite date to withdraw by, but I do believe that you cannot accept another offer of admission after you have matriculated ... at least that is the case for MD schools. Probably the same for DO schools. Are you planning on attending elsewhere if accepted from another wait list?

That's right! I found the same thing. Also GT2009 is on the high waitlist at PCOM-GA and the alternate waitlist and LECOM-bradenton...maybe thats another spot.

Accepted waitlist
Futuredr1183
Skippygonenuts
SheperdCohen
svftw
eccool
GT2009 (waitlisted at PCOM-GA and LECOM-Bradenton)
doc90211 (Accepted at Western)
rayraydolly (Accepted at RVU)
Aar0n - Accepted 06/08

newmoon
PersiannDO
DbDan (also at LECOM-B)
10guagesyringe
abcdocDO
Kimbers
caliboy510

Accepted waitlist
Futuredr1183
Skippygonenuts
SheperdCohen
svftw
eccool
GT2009 (waitlisted at PCOM-GA and LECOM-Bradenton)
doc90211 (Accepted at Western)
rayraydolly (Accepted at RVU)
Aar0n - Accepted 06/08

High Waitlist
10guagesyringe

newmoon
PersiannDO
DbDan (also at LECOM-B)
abcdocDO
Kimbers
caliboy510

Oscar isn't in his office today...he'll be returning tomorrow...

don't hold your breath for calls till then..

Oscar isn't in his office today...he'll be returning tomorrow...

don't hold your breath for calls till then..

holding your breath at all - albeit in certain instances where under water travel is necessary- is never good practice.

Breathe people.

Breathe.

In preparation for the inevitable rejection which I am sure to receive seeing as that I am only on the high waitlist, I just submitted an application to a PhD program at UC of something. So lets hope that doesnt fall through either, although I think it should be a sure shot, and can help me improve my credentials.

o and btw.

GO CELTICS.

In preparation for the inevitable rejection which I am sure to receive seeing as that I am only on the high waitlist, I just submitted an application to a PhD program at UC of something. So lets hope that doesnt fall through either, although I think it should be a sure shot, and can help me improve my credentials.

Wow ... you're going to do a PhD program before applying again? Doesn't that take like 5-7 years to complete? And tons of $$$? No doubt it would boost your credentials, I suppose.

yeah, seriously! to boost your credentials, I would dedicate the time to study for MCAT and maybe an smp which would take all together 2 years (i'm over estimating)....you could be done with med school in the time it would take you to finish that PhD..

yeah, seriously! to boost your credentials, I would dedicate the time to study for MCAT and maybe an smp which would take all together 2 years (i'm over estimating)....you could be done with med school in the time it would take you to finish that PhD..

:thumbup: +1

If you truly wanted to do the PhD because your heart is in it, then ok. If your ultimate goal is to be a physician then I would concentrate on other application weaknesses and reapply...save time and $$$$

:thumbup: +1

If you truly wanted to do the PhD because your heart is in it, then ok. If your ultimate goal is to be a physician then I would concentrate on other application weaknesses and reapply...save time and $$$$

i can opt out after a year with a Masters. which is probably what Ill be doing.

itll only take a year which would be good during the year of reapplying.

I would just have to pass the prelim at the end of the year.

***EDIT: wow I used the word "year" alot in that sentence.

Ah....I'm going crazy...

Like really, I think I'm losin it...

This is what limbo feels like

I know ... I lose a little bit of hope every day.

Yeah...but if it makes u feel any better, ur def not on the bottom of that list...I am..

23 mcat 3.2 gpa...I don't even know how I made it this far but it looks like this is where the joy ride ends for me..

is painful.

my own mother said shed love me a little less if i dont get accepted.

but not as sad as the lakers must feel right now!

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: