TUCOM-NV Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danimjo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application season has started and although last year's school specific threads hold a wealth of info. I'd like to start some dialogue around this years application process! Good luck!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

So I've asked this question several other places by now, but I've read on SDN that a few people have already received interview invites for Touro NV even though the secondary is not yet available? Has any already received an interview? Are these early invites just reserved for really desirable applicants, or is it for those who get there applications in early? If you've received one of these invites do you mind sharing you stats?

So I've asked this question several other places by now, but I've read on SDN that a few people have already received interview invites for Touro NV even though the secondary is not yet available? Has any already received an interview? Are these early invites just reserved for really desirable applicants, or is it for those who get there applications in early? If you've received one of these invites do you mind sharing you stats?

Hey, I received an invite yesterday for the first day of interviews. you can look at my stats on my mdapps (it's on the left). They said they'll have secondaries online soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I received an invite yesterday for the first day of interviews. you can look at my stats on my mdapps (it's on the left). They said they'll have secondaries online soon.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like you've got a great application!

thanks, i wasn't expecting it at all. good luck it's only the beginning!

those who got an interview invite, do you still need to fil out a secondary?

I didn't get an interview, but after reviewing last year's thread it seems as though you do still have to fill out the secondary, just before you come to the interview.

It looks like the essays are the same for TOURO CA and TOURO NV, does it matter if we use the same essays for both or should we write original essays?

yea you still have to fill out the secondary and have it done by the time of your interview

It looks like the essays are the same for TOURO CA and TOURO NV, does it matter if we use the same essays for both or should we write original essays?

you will be fine using the same essays. I haven't gotten around to doing any yet because i take the mcat next friday, but i plan on recycling a lot.

I would be careful writing the essay for NV. It will most likely be ok, but the secondary is going to be online this year.

And yes we still have to fill out the secondary.

Thanks for the info. Question: Did you have to send in transcripts and letters before you got that invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Question: Did you have to send in transcripts and letters before you got that invite?

Yes the AACOMAS transcript and letters. you needed to have a complete application sans the secondary

Does anyone know where to find the Stats on the TOURO schools, number of interviews, number of matriculates, averages, etc?

Some one on SDN was saying the TOURO schools interview every applicant, so getting a secondary is basically equivalent to getting an interview invite.... but it seems unlikely to me that they would conduct 1,000 + interviews.... anyone know?

FYI.... I found this on the tu.edu website regarding secondaries and interviews.... it may be different for TUCOM NY....
FYI.... found this regarding who the secondary and interview applicant process. Came from the tu.edu website under FAQ's. It looks like not every secondary gets an interview.

Q. What is the TUCOM policy regarding who receives supplemental applications and who receives interviews?

A. It is the policy of the Admissions and Standards Committee that only those applicants who meet minimum application requirements shall receive supplemental applications. In addition, not all candidates who submit supplemental applications will be invited to attend an interview. Applicants that do not qualify for a supplemental application may email the Office of Admissions ([email protected]) to determine what criteria were not met.

Yes the AACOMAS transcript and letters. you needed to have a complete application sans the secondary
Oh okay, this makes sense now. I did not send Touro-NV my letters. They only have my AACOMAS transcript.

And thanks danimjo, for clarifying with your above post too:)

I got an email saying the secondary is not yet available but to forward transcripts and letters directly to them because they will not take the transcripts from AACOMAS. Did those of you that got interview invites send transcripts directly to them already, and if so, did the invite come after they received the transcripts?

I got an email saying the secondary is not yet available but to forward transcripts and letters directly to them because they will not take the transcripts from AACOMAS. Did those of you that got interview invites send transcripts directly to them already, and if so, did the invite come after they received the transcripts?

Nope i didn't send any transcripts other than teh aacomas

I got an email saying the secondary is not yet available but to forward transcripts and letters directly to them because they will not take the transcripts from AACOMAS. Did th:scared:ose of you that got interview invites send transcripts directly to them already, and if so, did the invite come after they received the transcripts?

I called and they said they needed official transcripts for the app to be complete. That being said, the II came before I even requested them from the school.

I called regarding another piece of the application and they voluntarily described the process of handing out interview invites pre-secondary, I didn't even have to ask.

There is a cut off point, if your GPA and MCAT is above that point and your AACOMAS, and letters of recommendation are in, then they will give you an interview invite. They are doing this because the secondary is going to be all online this year and they're trying to avoid having it crash b/c 1,000 people all try to log-in the first day it opens. If your GPA and MCAT fall below the cut off point, they are going to wait for you to submit your secondary and look at your application as a whole and then decide whether or not to grant you an interview! They also think this will help speed up the application the process.

That being said I got an interview! Woot Woot :D

I spoke with Bridget in the admissions department, she was very sweet and very prompt. I left her a message around 2:00, and she called me back at 5:15 and apologized for it taking her so long to call back... I thought that was super nice b/c I wasn't expecting to hear from them until Monday. Anyway... Just an FYI if you need help Bridget was very helpful!

Did they happen to mention what the cut offs actually were?

Did all fo you who got an invite get one by email or did they call you? I got an email from them saying I am invited to fill out a secondary but that it wont be available until July 20th, but not an interview invite.

Did they happen to mention what the cut offs actually were?

No she just said it looks like your GPA and MCAT are good (or she may have said okay or something else similar), she then explained the process

Did all fo you who got an invite get one by email or did they call you? I got an email from them saying I am invited to fill out a secondary but that it wont be available until July 20th, but not an interview invite.

I got the interview invite over the phone, but called them...

To see if you can get the interview invite before the secondary is available be sure to send your LORS and tanscripts to them ASAP, they then consider your application complete and my understanding is if you fall above the cut off point for GPA and MCAT they'll give you an interview invite

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Does anyone who has been living in LV or Henderson for a while, know how bad traffic gets during the weekday morning and afternoon commutes if i'm driving from 215S (Tropicana onramp) to 215E to get to Touro (S. Gibson exit)?

We drove it on a Sunday morning (lol, I was only there on the weekend) and it was less than 20 mins. Thanks everyone.

I got the interview invite over the phone, but called them...

To see if you can get the interview invite before the secondary is available be sure to send your LORS and tanscripts to them ASAP, they then consider your application complete and my understanding is if you fall above the cut off point for GPA and MCAT they'll give you an interview invite

Yay! Are you going to be there Aug. 24th?

Yay! Are you going to be there Aug. 24th?

I don't have the date yet b/c they are waiting on my LORS to give me the date, but they said that everything looks good and as soon as the LORS get there they will send me the date.

I got an interview invite for Tuesday the 25th of August. They said that we will know whether or not we were accepted approximately two weeks after the interview!

any body on August 24th????? Wil se you guys there! Good Luck everyone! :D

im going on the 25th too!
only if i didnt have work, i would be chilling in vegas after my interview.

so do we still need to fill out the secondaries?

Yes you still have to fill out the secondary.... I talked to the admissions and she replied that it will be available probably today :)!

Dang, I need to get my DO letter soon. It'd be nice if I could get an interview out here before school starts... I didn't realize that their pre-secondary invites were waiting on letters. DMU didn't wait

Dang, I need to get my DO letter soon. It'd be nice if I could get an interview out here before school starts... I didn't realize that their pre-secondary invites were waiting on letters. DMU didn't wait

They are booking fast, I was told August 30th or around there is the first available now.

They are booking fast, I was told August 30th or around there is the first available now.

WOW! My heart just sank... so much for early early early, now I'm just praying my committee letter gets here in enough time for me to interview when there are still open seats in the class...

WOW! My heart just sank... so much for early early early, now I'm just praying my committee letter gets here in enough time for me to interview when there are still open seats in the class...

When are you expecting the committee letter? You should be fine, as I don't think the seats will fill up in the first few weeks of interviews!!

I am beginning to think that this school interviews a lot of people, but I don't mind. I would love to go there. Here is for hoping that they really loved me to give me a pre-secondary invite.

When are you expecting the committee letter? You should be fine, as I don't think the seats will fill up in the first few weeks of interviews!!

My committee says before August.... so in the next week or so, and everything else is in so I've been told I will get an interview, they just need a completed application to give me a date...

I received an email saying that I qualified for an interview and they gave the the phone number to call. I called yesterday morning to schedule an appointment and the lady said the first available date now is August 31st, so I took it.

Anyone else going to be there then? :)

I will be going to an interview at TUCOM-NV September 1st.

I'll be interviewing here on Sept 15th. SO EXCITED as this is my first interview offer this cycle! :D

Before everyone gets upset thinking that the spots are filling up fast, I couldn't come out on Sept 1st due to a prior committment, and they are not doing interviews the next week due to it being Labor Day on Monday.

Good luck everyone! I am sure those interview offers are just around the corner. Keep you heads up until then! :thumbup:

take a look at their campus

http://www.tunlive.com/virtual_tour.php

it looks very....blah

From what I've read the school is actually in an industrial park, and it looks as if this has been confirmed. I pretty much knew that going into the application process. TUCOM-CA is somewhat better. Also, I can't believe that the school actually call's that a library. It has like a shelf of books and 10 tables. I don't doubt it is a decent school, but the campus is very depressing.

Last edited:
From what I've read the school is actually in an industrial park, and it looks as if this has been confirmed. I pretty much knew that going into the application process. TUCOM-CA is somewhat better.

How would you rate the TUCOM schools compared to each other?

How would you rate the TUCOM schools compared to each other?

I don't know which is better as far as education, and I am sure they are comparable. But, TUCOM-CA is a much more developed campus, has multiple facilities, and already has a decent reputation. The fact that they have the only heavy ion cancer treatment center in the nation is also a good.

As far as quality of clinicals and residency placements, I don't know.

I don't know which is better as far as education, and I am sure they are comparable. But, TUCOM-CA is a much more developed campus, has multiple facilities, and already has a decent reputation. The fact that they have the only heavy ion cancer treatment center in the nation is also a good.

As far as quality of clinicals and residency placements, I don't know.

Thanks. very much droog. I appreciate you answering my question. :oops:

For anyone interested in living in Vegas, here's a post I put on Touro's DO list serve.

"Hi Everyone,
My name is xxx and I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m from Huntington Beach, CA, graduated from U.C. Irvine and some of my hobbies are basketball, working out, tennis, and I’m currently learning golf. During college, I was involved in intramural sports, Chinese American Association, and the UCI Men's basketball games. I also wrestled in high school.

I also wanted to add that I have three bedrooms to rent out in my house. The price is $375 for each of the two smaller rooms on the third floor, and $650 for the master bedroom with an attached bath also on the third floor). The address is Estrella Bonita Ct. Las Vegas, NV 89147 and it’s about 5 minutes off the freeway. I’ve driven the route to school on a weekday (morning time) and it’s a 15 minute drive to Touro University. The drive isn’t bad at all (i.e. no LA or 405 type traffic). Initially before driving the route, I was concerned about the drive, but a friend (a second year at Touro) reassured me there are students who commute 30 minutes out Henderson. I don’t have any pictures at the moment, but here’s a good description:
“It's 3 stories, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms. It's just under 2,000 square feet, and it was built last year.
Many options on the house. Most of it went to to the kitchen. Stainless steel appliances, espresso cabinets, tile flooring, zodiac countertops, etc.
On the ground floor, there is an attached 2-car garage and a driveway. My bedroom and one of the bathrooms are on the ground floor.
Middle floor is the kitchen, great room, and the 1/2 bathroom. Top floor is the master bedroom, which is pretty big. It has an attached bathroom w/ a walk-in closet, dual sinks, separate room for the toilet, and roman tub (which just means it's larger and oval).
The washer and dryer are on the top floor, as well. All the appliances in the house are brand new and either never used (oven, stove, and microwave) or barely used (dishwasher, fridge, and washer/dryer). The other two rooms upstairs are pretty small. Probably half the size of the master. And there's one more full bathroom for those two rooms. If there are just three people living there, one person could conceivably take both rooms. Put a bed in one and desk in the other.”
I just wanted to add it’s a very quiet, safe, and new neighborhood (reminds me of Irvine), there is a Fresh and Easy grocery store (and a bunch of others) within a one minute walking distance, a Target about 4 minutes driving distance and many other stores. I haven’t lived long enough in the house yet, so I don’t know exactly how expensive the utilities are, but they will be split equally among the roommates. I’m planning on getting high speed internet and cable TV, as well as a weekly house cleaning service.
Thanks for reading guys. PM through Student Doctor if interested. And of course, good luck to everyone and I look forward to meet you this Monday.

Does anyone know if the supplemental application on the school's website is the most up-to-date one? I want to fill out this app ASAP, but don't know if it's available yet?

To make matters a little more confusing I called the school on Wednesday, and was told that the new app would probably be out on Friday (but maybe Monday), and that it would probably be the same app as last year but they weren't sure yet.

Has anyone filled out the 2009-2010 supplemental yet?