Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsrimport

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I have a question regarding residencies. There are a number of them but my question is how hard is it to get into one after podiatry school? Are there more spots than students? How about surgical residencies?

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

As of next year, all residencies will be PM&S (podiatric medicine & surgery). They will be 24 and 36 months. I know that there is a residency surplus projected through 2010. From the numbers I have received, they predict having 360 three year slots and 160 two year slots. The exact numbers will only come out when all programs have made the transition.
They got in a situation years ago where there started to be more students than residency slots. It really tanked the profession for a while. They have vowed to never let it happen again. It is more up to the dean's of the colleges though. My 3-year-old daughter could get into some of the schools (they take as many as apply). Some deans are completely against capping class size. As class sizes start to grow again, it could be a future problem.
fyi
National Class Size (as of August):
2006 - 333
2007 - 346
2008 - 478
2009 - 562

These numbers will diminish a bit as time goes on but you get me point. If class sizes continue to grow, resideny slots could be a problem.

gsrimport said:
Hi guys and gals,

I have a question regarding residencies. There are a number of them but my question is how hard is it to get into one after podiatry school? Are there more spots than students? How about surgical residencies?

Thanks again.

jonwill seems to have answered that pretty well, but I just had to say something. It seems as if things are getting a lot more competitive, but I'd venture a guess that you have already experienced that competitiveness as an undergrad. I think it's probably a good thing, though, because better and more qualified candidates are sure to help the profession gain the recognition and respect that it deserves. By the time we are both interviewing for residencies, you can bet that it will be a lot tougher...but I think that the overall quality of residents will also have improved. All I can say is...Good Luck! May the best candidate win!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That was very informative. I just hope I get into a program. It's great to learn more everyday.

Does Podiatry have a match system similar to that of MD graduates? Or do you just apply directly to programs that interest you the most?

Matt

mchobson said:
Does Podiatry have a match system similar to that of MD graduates? Or do you just apply directly to programs that interest you the most?

Matt
Podiatric Medicine has the exact same system (CRIPS, match, scramble)

mchobson said:

Matt

Podiatric Residency Programs do participate in a Match system similar to the MD / DO graduates. The organization that handles the Match system is AACPM (American Association of College of Podiatric Medicine). The Match Day is usually around the same time as the MD Match day.

I have a question regarding residencies. I am a pre med/psych undergrad. I have been researching what I want to do as a grad student and until recently I had pretty much decided on applying to md/do schools. The more I learn about podiatric med the more it interests me. Anyway, I am curious about the life of a podiatric resident. Average hours?wages? etc....Any info would be greatly appreciated ....Thanks
-Jimmy

sosoraff said:
. Anyway, I am curious about the life of a podiatric resident. Average hours?wages? etc....Any info would be greatly appreciated ....Thanks
-Jimmy

Podiatric residencies are very similar to MD/DO residencies. In many cases, they do medical and surgical sub-specialties right next to MD/DO students. So, they are limited by the same 80 hour work week. Wages are similar as well, ranging from the 30's to the 60's depending on where you are.

sosoraff said:
I have a question regarding residencies. I am a pre med/psych undergrad. I have been researching what I want to do as a grad student and until recently I had pretty much decided on applying to md/do schools. The more I learn about podiatric med the more it interests me. Anyway, I am curious about the life of a podiatric resident. Average hours?wages? etc....Any info would be greatly appreciated ....Thanks
-Jimmy

I am going to expand on what scpod had said in his posting about the podiatric resident's life. As a current podiatric resident, I can tell you that the resident's life is pretty similar to the md/do residents. Similar to the other residents, you will be responsible for rounding on patients in the hospitals, scrubbing in surgical cases, seeing patients in a clinic or private practice setting. In addition to the podiatry rotations, you will also be doing rotations in internal medicine, anesthesia, emergency medicine, general / vascular / orthopedic surgery, radiology, various medical subspecialties, pathology, behavior science, etc... As mentioned earlier, most of the non podiatry rotations are done along side with the md/do residents and are usually treated as the equivalent to the md/do intern/resident on that service. Podiatry residents also take call as well. Depending on the residency program, some podiatry residents take call from home and some take in house call (staying in the hospital overnight). The frequency of the calls will depend on the residency program and what year you are in the residency program. In the residency program, the podiatric resident also participates in a variety of academic activities, such as journal club, cadaver surgery, etc... The hours will vary from residency program to residency progrram and the rotation that you are on. In general, I get to the hosptial somewhere around 6 or 7 am and usually don't get home no earlier than 6 pm. If I am on call on the weekend, I will have to come into the hospital to do rounds, do any emergent surgeries, etc.. As for the residency pay, the residency salary will range somewhere 30,000 to 60,000, as mentioned in the previous post. Usually, the salaries are higher in areas where the cost of living will be higher, such as New York City, Boston, Chicago, etc... However, there are a few exceptions here and there. Podiatry residents will also receive benefits such as paid vacations, CME money, health insurance, medical malpractice, vision, dental, etc... Hopefully, I have given you a better picture of what podiatry resident's life is like. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. Good luck.

scpod said:
Podiatric residencies are very similar to MD/DO residencies. In many cases, they do medical and surgical sub-specialties right next to MD/DO students. So, they are limited by the same 80 hour work week. Wages are similar as well, ranging from the 30's to the 60's depending on where you are.

I just wanted to clarify the 80 hour work week rule. The 80 hour work week rule only applies if you take in house call (stay in the hospital when you are on call). If the residency program has residents taking call from home, the 80 hour work week rule does NOT apply. The reason for this is that when you are taking call from home, it does not count towards your work hours. Hence, the 80 hours work week is based on the actual amount of time that you are physically at the hospital.