Residency interview invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Footlover12112023

Reaction score
I am curious how soon should you expect an interview invite from programs? I applied to 6 programs and only got 4 from last week so I am a little worried now.

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious how soon should you expect an interview invite from programs? I applied to 6 programs and only got 4 from last week so I am a little worried now.

Depends. Usually within a week. But best way to tell is ask someone who applied to the same program if they got an invite.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's just like job interviews: any given program will basically have their top invited candidates, their alternates, and their "no way" pile.

Most of the programs that get a lot of applicants offer interview to 3-5x the number match spots they have, they see what happens, and then they may invite a few alternates if more than a few of their top people decline.

...As was said, check with the program coord after a week or two to see if your request has a response.

Asking your classmates is dicey imo... some people are fairly helpful, but the majority are kinda very cloak-and-dagger about anything to do with match (esp if they're trying to interview/match near the pod school city). Some people throw smokescreens and BS you intentionally about what they are trying for, what interviews, how they rank, whatever. It might be for ego, personal gain, or insecurity. The match ratio of students:spots are getting very tight again... so that does not help any potential cooperation and support. For the good students, match is usually a good time, but there are still only so many spots at good programs - esp good ones in the popular areas. The average students could have an easy or impossible time in match - depending on where they try for. For the bad students, match is likely to be the affirmation that they should've worked harder in pod school. Very few will be on top of the world. People get very edgy and have emotion extremes; everyone is out for themselves.

It sucks, but you're honestly best to, between now and match, mostly keep to yourself or socialize mainly with non-pod friends or classmate friends who are going for few or none of the same programs that you are. You really want to be polite but curt and keep stuff under your hat if random people in your class are suddenly friendly and ask you where you are interviewing, where you externed, ask for info on other classmates, etc. Match day itself (and therefore start of scramble) is a good day to skip class; no joke. It is fine to go to school that day (especially if you know your match based on clerk/interview)... but you want to stay farily reclusive as you will definitely observe some pretty roller coaster emotions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have a couple invites I'm waiting on for as well, both at places I've externed at.

Would it look bad if I sent an e-mail to the director of those 2 programs asking if they've sent all the interview invites already, with the knowledge of telling them I did an externship there in the past?

Are places even still sending out invites?

I have a couple invites I'm waiting on for as well, both at places I've externed at.

Would it look bad if I sent an e-mail to the director of those 2 programs asking if they've sent all the interview invites already, with the knowledge of telling them I did an externship there in the past?

imo, they’re always scouting externs (maybe visitors) as possible residents so if they wanted you then they would’ve remembered you

At best reaching out would net you a pity interview and at worst you’d get formally rejected and your ego bruised.

imo, they’re always scouting externs (maybe visitors) as possible residents so if they wanted you then they would’ve remembered you

At best reaching out would net you a pity interview and at worst you’d get formally rejected and your ego bruised.
The other person I was with that month hasn't received an interview invite either, so I was thinking 'what are the chances we both did poor enough to not get an interview invite', so I'm just unsure if I should Email the program or let it go until another week or so. But it's a place I definitely want to consider.

The other person I was with that month hasn't received an interview invite either, so I was thinking 'what are the chances we both did poor enough to not get an interview invite', so I'm just unsure if I should Email the program or let it go until another week or so. But it's a place I definitely want to consider.
As a fellow student, I’d say then reach out if you’re that interested. Closed mouths don’t get fed

From the resident side of things we usually sit down and talk about who gets an interview from our externs+visitors

If you haven't heard back by now the chances of you getting an interview are pretty low, and its important to think and reflect why they aren't giving you one (bad month, didn't get along with residents etc).

Its pretty late in terms of interview invites, i would just move on

Another important thing is to review your evals if your school offers you access to them.

If you got a crap eval with a crap comment, and haven't gotten invite then take that for what it's worth.

If you got stellar eval with good comments and you haven't received an invite then I don't think it hurts to reach out. I was in this boat, reached out and was told that they haven't gotten to apps yet and I should see one by then end of the week and then got an invite that same week.

• Hmm
From the resident side of things we usually sit down and talk about who gets an interview from our externs+visitors

If you haven't heard back by now the chances of you getting an interview are pretty low, and its important to think and reflect why they aren't giving you one (bad month, didn't get along with residents etc).

Its pretty late in terms of interview invites, i would just move on
I was always very cordial with the residents and didn't see any issues, and I certainly wasn't worse than some of my previous externships. It is true that my evaluation was much more average than the scores I got at other programs though. Which I don't know how that makes sense since I was a much worse extern near the start of 4th year and this was later in the year.

Last edited:
I was always very cordial with the residents and didn't see any issues, and I certainly wasn't worse than some of my previous externships. It is true that my evaluation was much more average than the scores I got at other programs though. Which I don't know how that makes sense since I was a much worse extern near the start of 4th year and this was later in the year.
Possibly they have a gpa requirement or you just didn’t fit. IMO it doesn’t matter tho, sounds like you have other interviews and I would focus on those. No reason to worry about not hearing back from 2

My situation is exactly like yours and unfortunately, I haven't heard back anything from the 2 other programs that I really like yet. I know how that feel but for now just focus on what you have and get ready for interviews. We got this!