Difficulty recruiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thought path was still bad? Rads is just gangbusters now. I don't think their leaders focused on research reducing their need or putting themselves out of business though, to be sure

FAR better leadership in rads, both historically and presently

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Interestingly Rads had a completely different trajectory several years ago, so did Pathology. Maybe they turned it around because their leaders actually cared about their constituents?

Rads has been helped by increasing scan volumes, exponentially.

This is in part due to proliferation of mid levels who frequently have no idea how to clinically assess a patient and just throw Abx at a problem and then CT when the Abx don't work.

This is combined with most EDs having to re-scan the frequent flier who complains of SOB once a week for CTA to rule out the one time they have a PE (which if they miss is an immediate lawsuit and immediate settlement against the ED DOC).

Combined with the fact that primary care doctors are now expected to not actually use their diagnostic skills, but rather, image the affected portion of the body.

Rad Onc doesn't have the same 'increase in number of cases' that is otherwise expected.

A PET/CT or MRI can be 4+ weeks at my practice. How long does it take to see a RO? Generally within 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Way back when I was in residency and we interviewed applicants, most were also interested in Diagnostic Rads and Med Onc. Curiously, very few surgery people. Regardless, the path of RO has diverged from DR and MO.

I just looked and first listing was a 550k, 100% remote, 26 weeks/year, 8 hour shifts DR job. Live anywhere you want. Travel half your life. I mean, if that's even semi-typical, why would you agree with be chained to a linac 2 hours and 2 ferry rides away from Seattle?

Reactions: 4 users
Way back when I was in residency and we interviewed applicants, most were also interested in Diagnostic Rads and Med Onc. Curiously, very few surgery people. Regardless, the path of RO has diverged from DR and MO.

I just looked and first listing was a 550k, 100% remote, 26 weeks/year, 8 hour shifts DR job. Live anywhere you want. Travel half your life. I mean, if that's even semi-typical, why would you agree with be chained to a linac 2 hours and 2 ferry rides away from Seattle?
And $550K a year in a job like this is essentially tantamount to getting paid about twice what the rad onc job offers were as posted by the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Lets not forget, you have to like your job. Some of us may like diagnostic rads. I consider med students in that boat lucky. For me, it never was and never will be an option. Interventional sure, but thats it. Besides having letters radio in them, they have very little in common and the boredom would kill me. Med onc though...I would probably go that way if I were entering the force now. I like the technical/procedural aspects of rad onc better and think it is the better job. But market factors etc...there is more to consider than just the job.

Reactions: 6 users
I always found it weird people were interested in DR and RO. As you said, quite dissimilar.

Reactions: 3 users
Lets not forget, you have to like your job. Some of us may like diagnostic rads. I consider med students in that boat lucky. For me, it never was and never will be an option. Interventional sure, but thats it. Besides having letters radio in them, they have very little in common and the boredom would kill me. Med onc though...I would probably go that way if I were entering the force now. I like the technical/procedural aspects of rad onc better and think it is the better job. But market factors etc...there is more to consider than just the job.
Totally agree