Difficulty recruiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I changed jobs 3.5 years out from training, the group I moved to gave me a 1 year partner track with over double the pay of their typical new grad track. I told them up front I wasn't moving for anything like a 2-3 year track and luckily they were not approaching it that way.

However, no clue how flexible other private groups around the country are when handling people that have been working for a while. I would imagine most are not willing to shorten partner tracks - the typical medicine "if I had to do it so will everyone else" attitude

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
When I changed jobs 3.5 years out from training, the group I moved to gave me a 1 year partner track with over double the pay of their typical new grad track. I told them up front I wasn't moving for anything like a 2-3 year track and luckily they were not approaching it that way.

However, no clue how flexible other private groups around the country are when handling people that have been working for a while. I would imagine most are not willing to shorten partner tracks - the typical medicine "if I had to do it so will everyone else" attitude

Great to hear

We have had to be flexible like that in our little group, especially with a well liked candidate. Different situations (rural vs. urban, fresh out of residency vs. established) IMO call for some flexibility.

It's really hard to convey that in advertisements though, so my advice to new grads or those shopping for jobs would be if at all possible to just interview and see what's up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree!

I have some experience advising some younger folks on the job hunt and I do find it frustrating when they don’t want to put in the work to find out more. Job postings are just job postings.

Reactions: 5 users
Agree!

I have some experience advising some younger folks on the job hunt and I do find it frustrating when they don’t want to put in the work to find out more. Job postings are just job postings.

They get picked up too by ad agencies that get all kinds of stuff wrong too (things like employed vs. partner, etc).

I think if the geographic region is right and you have the time, go check it out.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree!

Well, even then - at the end of the day, you can NEVER truly "know" about a job until working it for several months.

It's why away rotations (lol, not necessary in RadOnc anymore) can help make a decision in both directions. It's a lot harder for both the student and the program to hide "the crazy" for a month than for a day.

Not saying don't try to get as much info as you can, of course. Just the opposite - go full Sherlock Holmes.

But just don't kick yourself if you're 6 months into a job you heavily researched and realize that you were wrong, it's a dumpster fire, time to tell the family a cross-country move is imminent because....#RadOnc.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. Our issue is really that we have few applicants - not that people are not accepting offers. We are offering higher than the numbers/time frame to partnership posted here.

I am sorry for those of you who have bad experiences with private practices or our geography, but if anyone here is interested we would welcome an application.

Thank you.

Reactions: 3 users
by higher time frame do you mean shorter time to partner or longer? Unclear

It looks like you are offering higher salary based on your post

Are you looking for new grads or experienced docs? Two different populations. It will be hard to get someone employed to take a step back and take an entry level package in terms of time-to-partner and salary. You may want to indicate that offers will take into account experience if you are willing to be flexible in this regard. I would not even bother applying to a position at this point if it indicated that it would be a 300-ish 3 year track situation. The risk vs. reward math almost always doesn't work. 300 for one year to prove myself then buy-in to technical in a busy practice? Maybe. You'll probably get some bites on that.

Reactions: 6 users
Are you looking for new grads or experienced docs? Two different populations. It will be hard to get someone employed to take a step back and take an entry level package in terms of time-to-partner and salary. You may want to indicate that offers will take into account experience if you are willing to be flexible in this regard. I would not even bother applying to a position at this point if it indicated that it would be a 300-ish 3 year track situation. The risk vs. reward math almost always doesn't work. 300 for one year to prove myself then buy-in to technical in a busy practice? Maybe. You'll probably get some bites on that.
Totally agree.

I'm board certified with experience in both classic private practice and academia/employed, solo generalist in low resource environments, and revenue cycle management beyond just straight pro-free billing (which is rare enough on its own, these days).

There is literally no job posting on God's green Earth that I will submit an application in for unless it is somehow VERY clear to me that I will not have to take a pay cut/start over.

I already know where I can look to significantly increase my current comp if I ever felt inclined to leave my current job...and precisely zero of those places are in Florida.

Reactions: 7 users
Totally agree.

I'm board certified with experience in both classic private practice and academia/employed, solo generalist in low resource environments, and revenue cycle management beyond just straight pro-free billing (which is rare enough on its own, these days).

There is literally no job posting on God's green Earth that I will submit an application in for unless it is somehow VERY clear to me that I will not have to take a pay cut/start over.

I already know where I can look to significantly increase my current comp if I ever felt inclined to leave my current job...and precisely zero of those places are in Florida.
Smart man. You don’t believe it’s going to happen to you when you are tricked into taking a 50% pay cut then the gentleman’s agreement you made suddenly becomes no longer…. Gentle. And it retrospect, like a crazy but hot gf, all the red flags were there and you just ignored them cause your eyes were elsewhere.

• Haha
This is also what will lead to further death of PP rad onc. More and more new grads simply don’t trust them.

I looked pretty closely at one when I was graduating that ultimately I just didn’t trust enough to take the leap. It may have worked out. But I took something safer. A year later the practice sold out to a hospital system as they couldn’t find anyone.

The peak rad onc year graduates wanted and continue to want now - location and comfort and safety and time off.
I agree with this fully. I was surprised when I had looked to take over a longstanding hospital PSA from retiring physicians a couple years ago that I was the only doc they interviewed looking to remain independent and not be employed. I guess a lot of younger physicians in the job market don't want to deal with hassle or uncertainty.

With respect to joining a PP group, however, I believe the caution of new grads is well-warranted and VERY wise. Florida in particular is known as a "sunny place for shady people" for a reason - especially in rad onc. I would be cautious joining any PP but extremely cautious joining any private group/company in Florida as a rad onc.

I agree with this fully. I was surprised when I had looked to take over a longstanding hospital PSA from retiring physicians a couple years ago that I was the only doc they interviewed looking to remain independent and not be employed. I guess a lot of younger physicians in the job market don't want to deal with hassle or uncertainty.

With respect to joining a PP group, however, I believe the caution of new grads is well-warranted and VERY wise. Florida in particular is known as a "sunny place for shady people" for a reason - especially in rad onc. I would be cautious joining any PP but extremely cautious joining any private group/company in Florida as a rad onc.
I think this is just another function of the job market. There are plenty of radiology/anesthesia groups in my major metro area that are crushing it and remain independent. They seem to have eager young partners who are fine with the "hassle."

Conversely, most radonc jobs in the area are employed positions, presumably because the hospitals don't have a shortage of people willing to take them, myself included.

Members don't see this ad :)
Conversely, most radonc jobs in the area are employed positions, presumably because the hospitals don't have a shortage of people willing to take them, myself included.
Yes. Expansion of the labor force advantages employers. Someone will take the job

Believe it or not, that phrase was first used for The French Riviera but does indeed fit Florida well

With respect to joining a PP group, however, I believe the caution of new grads is well-warranted and VERY wise.

The value proposition of PP is usually not there unless you have an "in."

You can get a 100k+ signing bonus from a rural hospital while still in training and 75th percentile income and do this for a few years until your debts are paid and you've got a decent nest egg growing then start looking for something in a better area for less if you want. It's unclear how long this will even be an option, so the adage is make hay while the sun shines.

Compare this to a 300s partnership track job, potentially end up doing huge amounts of work without any extra pay, then maybe if you're really lucky and economic conditions are still favorable and there hasn't been a buy-out, be presented with an opportunity for an astronomical buy-in in 3 years. And this will likely be in some sort of tiered ownership structure where you are still low man on the totem pole. It's a huge gamble and it only makes sense if the potential partner income is well into the 7 figures, which is rare. I have seen multispecialty groups where partner income after split with radiology or whatever basically ends up at 75th percentile MGMA. So at that point, why? Take the employed job, paid benefits and PTO, forego the partner meetings, overhead, and debt obligations. Not a hard decision for anyone without but the most extreme risk tolerant.

It baffles me when PP offer a low salary, high workload, crappy benefits, zero autonomy (being an associate), driving all over the place to cover multiple machines, and minimal PTO (there was a point I had ZERO) with a vague carrot of "possible" partnership and are shocked that people turn it down and go "work for a hospital" instead. I have personally heard these conversations of truly not getting why offers keep getting turned down, and it's amazing. They literally are that out of touch that they are unable to understand that their amazing life as a partner with 1.5M income and ability to unilaterally decide clinic operations and schedule is not what is being presented to the candidate. PP is so awesome! Why would anyone not want this?!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
The value proposition of PP is usually not there unless you have an "in."

You can get a 100k+ signing bonus from a rural hospital while still in training and 75th percentile income and do this for a few years until your debts are paid and you've got a decent nest egg growing then start looking for something in a better area for less if you want. It's unclear how long this will even be an option, so the adage is make hay while the sun shines.

Compare this to a 300s partnership track job, potentially end up doing huge amounts of work without any extra pay, then maybe if you're really lucky and economic conditions are still favorable and there hasn't been a buy-out, be presented with an opportunity for an astronomical buy-in in 3 years. And this will likely be in some sort of tiered ownership structure where you are still low man on the totem pole. It's a huge gamble and it only makes sense if the potential partner income is well into the 7 figures, which is rare. I have seen multispecialty groups where partner income after split with radiology or whatever basically ends up at 75th percentile MGMA. So at that point, why? Take the employed job, paid benefits and PTO, forego the partner meetings, overhead, and debt obligations. Not a hard decision for anyone without but the most extreme risk tolerant.

It baffles me when PP offer a low salary, high workload, crappy benefits, zero autonomy (being an associate), driving all over the place to cover multiple machines, and minimal PTO (there was a point I had ZERO) with a vague carrot of "possible" partnership and are shocked that people turn it down and go "work for a hospital" instead. I have personally heard these conversations of truly not getting why offers keep getting turned down, and it's amazing. They literally are that out of touch that they are unable to understand that their amazing life as a partner with 1.5M income and ability to unilaterally decide clinic operations and schedule is not what is being presented to the candidate. PP is so awesome! Why would anyone not want this?!
I think you’re painting with an overly broad brush. There are certainly sketchy private practices, but I think the correct advice to residents is “do your due diligence.” It’s not hard to find out a practice’s reputation, or at least find out if they have a track record of not offering partnership.

I think this is just another function of the job market. There are plenty of radiology/anesthesia groups in my major metro area that are crushing it and remain independent. They seem to have eager young partners who are fine with the "hassle."

Although I do believe the job market forces make employment more inevitable in rad onc as compared to other fields, the trend in healthcare now is more towards employment and less towards independent practices. This may be partly due to the strength of hospitals and the payments they are able to command as compared to freestanding centers, and partly due new grads lifestyle

Reactions: 1 user

Moved to a large private equity group mid career and they offered equal pay upfront and equity after two years. These opportunities do still exist but are rare.

Moved to a large private equity group mid career and they offered equal pay upfront and equity after two years. These opportunities do still exist but are rare.
So rare it is like saying i know someone who won lottery, you can too!

• Care
I'd be interested in knowing what kind of structure people are looking for in terms of equity buy in. For example, let's say a practice had a $10 million valuation and the owner offered u a proportionate buy in. Would that be fair to you? The big issue I'm seeing on the pp side is that the valuations really exceed what any early career doc can afford. Meanwhile, you've got hospitals desperate to eradicate the competition who can and will pay up. It's created this perfect storm where boomers can basically count on a big pay off in the end and have little incentive to give up equity.

The big issue I'm seeing on the pp side is that the valuations really exceed what any early career doc can afford.

This argument/gaslighting drives me absolutely insane. "We would love for you to have an equity stake, but you can't afford it, sorrieeeee."
Real estate valuation numbers that would make Donald Trump blush.
There is absolutely no reason fractional owernship that makes sense can't be offered. What's that? I can't buy into any amount of radiation technical without also buying many millions of unrelated real estate from existing partners during a period of stupid high real estate valuations and interest rates? I'm sorry... I.... uh.... DON'T BELIEVE YOU.

This argument/gaslighting drives me absolutely insane. "We would love for you to have an equity stake, but you can't afford it, sorrieeeee."
Real estate valuation numbers that would make Donald Trump blush.
There is absolutely no reason fractional owernship that makes sense can't be offered. What's that? I can't buy into any amount of radiation technical without also buying many millions of unrelated real estate from existing partners during a period of stupid high real estate valuations and interest rates? I'm sorry... I.... uh.... DON'T BELIEVE YOU.
I wasn't even including the real estate here. I'm just speaking to the technical. Practices can be sold independent of the real estate and depending on location, ebitda, and how bad a hospital wants the business, the multiple can be a range. Let's say the Ebitda of the practice is $2million, hospital is willing to pay $6million and practice owner offers you 10% for 600k. Is that fair?

I wasn't even including the real estate here. I'm just speaking to the technical. Practices can be sold independent of the real estate and depending on location, ebitda, and how bad a hospital wants the business, the multiple can be a range. Let's say the Ebitda of the practice is $2million, hospital is willing to pay $6million and practice owner offers you 10% for 600k. Is that fair?

To me, it doesn't really matter. I would value the offer based on my risk and ROI. If I can recoup that 600k in 3-4 years, we can talk. That seems reasonable based on the EBITDA there. If you want 5M from me and are going to pay out 250k per year, we are not having a serious conversation. If I want to invest in real estate, I'll buy an apartment building or something else I can cash flow. If I want to buy and hold an asset for price appreciation, I will buy equities. I don't want a piece of a severely overvalued medical office building that doesn't have rent paying tenants in it.

To me, it doesn't really matter. I would value the offer based on my risk and ROI. If I can recoup that 600k in 3-4 years, we can talk. That seems reasonable based on the EBITDA there. If you want 5M from me and are going to pay out 250k per year, we are not having a serious conversation. If I want to invest in real estate, I'll buy an apartment building or something else I can cash flow. If I want to buy and hold an asset for price appreciation, I will buy equities. I don't want a piece of a severely overvalued medical office building that doesn't have rent paying tenants in it.

Real estate valuation shouldn't be that hard. Appraisers exist. Find one that is mutually acceptable and use them. There are sound business reasons to own your real estate. Beyond the convenience and cost savings of not having to move, price control on rent, business depreciations, etc, you are functionally renting to yourself. It is like you have a tenant with guaranteed 100% occupancy and always pays on time. Who is also aligned with you in wanting to minimize capital expenditure in the building. Depending on the group you may or may not have to buy into all aspects of the partnership. I do agree if they won't let you buy into the ancillary without buying into real estate it is a bit of a red flag that they view the real estate as worth less then what they are selling it to you for. In a partnership that is set up for success, you should be buying into something that is a good to great investment at a reasonable valuation, so they should be only too happy if you don't want a share.

That said, were I to ever join a private group with option for buy in, I would be extremely careful about salary and how the contract is structured. Every dollar I am giving up in salary by not taking an employed position, i.e. my sweat equity, should buy down the buy-in. If you sell the group, I want a pro-rated partnership share and a non-compete voided. And so-on. Obviously whether you can get these things all depends on labor supply/demand in your field.

Reactions: 4 users
Real estate valuation shouldn't be that hard. Appraisers exist. Find one that is mutually acceptable and use them. There are sound business reasons to own your real estate. Beyond the convenience and cost savings of not having to move, price control on rent, business depreciations, etc, you are functionally renting to yourself. It is like you have a tenant with guaranteed 100% occupancy and always pays on time. Who is also aligned with you in wanting to minimize capital expenditure in the building. Depending on the group you may or may not have to buy into all aspects of the partnership. I do agree if they won't let you buy into the ancillary without buying into real estate it is a bit of a red flag that they view the real estate as worth less then what they are selling it to you for. In a partnership that is set up for success, you should be buying into something that is a good to great investment at a reasonable valuation, so they should be only too happy if you don't want a share.

That said, were I to ever join a private group with option for buy in, I would be extremely careful about salary and how the contract is structured. Every dollar I am giving up in salary by not taking an employed position, i.e. my sweat equity, should buy down the buy-in. If you sell the group, I want a pro-rated partnership share and a non-compete voided. And so-on. Obviously whether you can get these things all depends on labor supply/demand in your field.
Like you've mentiond, none of this should be too hard. There are standard ways to value practices and real estate. I've seen people whip up offers in a few days based on ebitda and real estate value. If some PP wants to give you equity, and they aren't doing these things, it should be a red flag. I would just anticipate numbers in the high 6 figures for any decent buy in, however.

Funny how 80% of the issues in rad onc would solve if they just cut the residency spot in half… but we all know that’s not happening. So right now, I think best way to stop the predatory offers is the calling out system. I’ve seen way too many job postings without salary (not even a reasonable range) or any details if they mention partnership tracks. These postings should be called out. We also need to find a way to incentivize the boomers to give out partnerships instead of just selling to the big hospitals/PEs and **** over the junior docs.

I agree that traditional buy ins can be in the mid to high 6 figures and up. For the rare circumstances where equity is offered, I wonder if anyone has any sense of how often and how specifically the practice will help the rising partner finance (no interest loan, salary scrape, automatically vest shares instead of bonus over time, etc.)

Funny how 80% of the issues in rad onc would solve if they just cut the residency spot in half… but we all know that’s not happening. So right now, I think best way to stop the predatory offers is the calling out system. I’ve seen way too many job postings without salary (not even a reasonable range) or any details if they mention partnership tracks. These postings should be called out. We also need to find a way to incentivize the boomers to give out partnerships instead of just selling to the big hospitals/PEs and **** over the junior docs.

I don’t think salary is something that I expect to see in a job posting. Not a red flag or even flag if it’s not mentioned. For me at least.

I don’t think salary is something that I expect to see in a job posting. Not a red flag or even flag if it’s not mentioned. For me at least.
I actually think it should be a law to have a reasonable salary range (no more than 20% of the salary) for any job posting in any profession. I can’t think of a single way that not having salary posted would help the applicants.

I actually think it should be a law to have a reasonable salary range (no more than 20% of the salary) for any job posting in any profession. I can’t think of a single way that not having salary posted would help the applicants.
Pricing transparency would solve a lot of issues in our healthcare system as well.

Unfortunately the reality is that neither will happen without some kind of legislative mandate

Like you've mentiond, none of this should be too hard. There are standard ways to value practices and real estate. I've seen people whip up offers in a few days based on ebitda and real estate value. If some PP wants to give you equity, and they aren't doing these things, it should be a red flag. I would just anticipate numbers in the high 6 figures for any decent buy in, however.
Yes. Exactly. And when a practice refuses to discuss details of partnership with a candidate because it makes it look like you “are only interested in money” but expects you to take a 350k salary that does NOT count as sweat equity to any future buy in, RUN.

I agree that traditional buy ins can be in the mid to high 6 figures and up. For the rare circumstances where equity is offered, I wonder if anyone has any sense of how often and how specifically the practice will help the rising partner finance (no interest loan, salary scrape, automatically vest shares instead of bonus over time, etc.)
The willingness of a practice to discuss buy in terms and financing is directly proportional to the odds you will ever be offered partnership.

“Don’t ask questions about partnership, you’ll piss off the senior partners and they will pull your offer.”
“Buy in is really expensive, if you need a loan, you won’t be able to get one that high”

Etc

You’re not becoming a partner. Ever.

Yes. Exactly. And when a practice refuses to discuss details of partnership with a candidate because it makes it look like you “are only interested in money” but expects you to take a 350k salary that does NOT count as sweat equity to any future buy in, RUN.

The willingness of a practice to discuss buy in terms and financing is directly proportional to the odds you will ever be offered partnership.

“Don’t ask questions about partnership, you’ll piss off the senior partners and they will pull your offer.”
“Buy in is really expensive, if you need a loan, you won’t be able to get one that high”

Etc

You’re not becoming a partner. Ever.
Easy enough to Google search and find the previous associates of a practice and get the low down

Easy enough to Google search and find the previous associates of a practice and get the low down
Some of these places have internet scrub teams that would make Hillary jealous.

Waybackmachine is your friend!

Pretty accurate imo. Rads and rad onc couldn't be more polar opposites
Interestingly Rads had a completely different trajectory several years ago, so did Pathology. Maybe they turned it around because their leaders actually cared about their constituents?

• Love
Interestingly Rads had a completely different trajectory several years ago, so did Pathology. Maybe they turned it around because their leaders actually cared about their constituents?
Thought path was still bad? Rads is just gangbusters now. I don't think their leaders focused on research reducing their need or putting themselves out of business though, to be sure

I don't think their leaders focused on research reducing their need
Dude....this is a treasure trove for an ambitious young academic rads who is a careerist at heart.

Think of all the opportunity for imaging reduction. Think of how infrequently the frequency of surveillance or screening imaging is based on actual evidence.

Interesting that this hasn't happened. Except in breast cancer. Breast cancer the worst...like they don't want to find metastatic disease but want to give checkpoint inhibitors worst.

Rads utilization through the roof with the boomers aging (out of the workforce and into imaging). Likely the main reason that demand is so high and market so good.

Dude....this is a treasure trove for an ambitious young academic rads who is a careerist at heart.

Think of all the opportunity for imaging reduction. Think of how infrequently the frequency of surveillance or screening imaging is based on actual evidence.

Interesting that this hasn't happened. Except in breast cancer. Breast cancer the worst...like they don't want to find metastatic disease but want to give checkpoint inhibitors worst.

Rads utilization through the roof with the boomers aging (out of the workforce and into imaging). Likely the main reason that demand is so high and market so good.
APPs over ordering. New stuff like all the pet agents and LDct screening etc plus the boomers leaving. Rad onc just didn't have the same levers and I'm guessing rads didn't over expand either

I think rads got lucky. Unlimited need and they are not consolidating services in large centers to the same extent. In fact many Medicare advantage plans mandate radiology at cheaper freestanding outpt centers.

I think rads got lucky. Unlimited need and they are not consolidating services in large centers to the same extent. In fact many Medicare advantage plans mandate radiology at cheaper freestanding outpt centers.
Great point. Pts shop around and many ins that are in network everywhere will offer cheaper copays at the cheaper freestanding facilities

Didn’t read every response but right now may be the hardest time to make a move in the history of our lives. Cost of living and cost of housing/childcare is insane and cost to borrow $ is ridiculous. Better pony up on the salary if you want to attract good candidates. I don’t know Tampa but I’m wiling to be a good 2 bedroom rent will be 6k+ and good childcare will be 2-3k a month full time. Totally a guess though