APMLE Part 3 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess you'll see for yourself 🤷‍♂️ best of luck to you.
My overall academic record is fine, and I plan on passing boards part 2 in one try as well. I'm not sure what the residency directors are thinking, but I do have a few close friends who are residents and they almost only seem to care about how much they get along with the students, how "coachable" they are, and how reliable they are.

And I have seen 4.0 students scramble and <3.0 students get a good program. Maybe it's not the norm, but again, I honestly think after being in externships, the most important evaluations are more about how much you really want to be at the program, and how much the residents consider you nice to have around, coachable, and reliable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
And I have seen 4.0 students scramble and <3.0 students get a good program. Maybe it's not the norm, but again, I honestly think after being in externships, the most important evaluations are more about how much you really want to be at the program, and how much the residents consider you nice to have around, coachable, and reliable.
The reality is there are plenty of normal, hardworking people who pass boards the first time competing for elite, good and average programs.

The reality is there are plenty of normal, hardworking people who pass boards the first time competing for elite, good and average programs.

All else being equal, I'd agree. But I just don't see a program saying they would want a student who passed boards first time around, but didn't like working with them as much, as the student who didn't pass boards first time and enjoyed working with them more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we actually debating whether multiple attempts at the board is better than passing it on the first try?

Are we actually debating whether multiple attempts at the board is better than passing it on the first try?
"All else being equal, I'd agree."

Just the significance of it, especially when measured against the many, many factors you have on your overall record and on the externship itself.

it seems as if the argument shifted from whether or not failing the boards multiple times implies that there is a more glaring issue at hand vs. what admission committees think or are looking for. @Robin-jay I agree that it's not a dealbreaker for finding a decent residency but can obviously be looked down upon.
back to my original point- it's my opinion that the part 3 exam is so amazingly easy and straightforward (99% pass rate, yes?) that it signals that there is a huge problem. it's possible that it's simply test taking skills that wouldn't have anything to do with being a good clinician, but the ease of the exam removes that variable completely.

it seems as if the argument shifted from whether or not failing the boards multiple times implies that there is a more glaring issue at hand vs. what admission committees think or are looking for. @Robin-jay I agree that it's not a dealbreaker for finding a decent residency but can obviously be looked down upon.

What really removes the variable of whether boards are significant or not is the fact many students basically have a boards answer key. There are so many answer key type resources in podiatric medical school, I'm not sure one could even take anyone's GPA or board record seriously at this point.

What really removes the variable of whether boards are significant or not is the fact many students basically have a boards answer key. There are so many answer key type resources in podiatric medical school, I'm not sure one could even take anyone's GPA or board record seriously at this point.
Then it shows against a students ability to network be resourceful to not have said answer key

• Haha
Then it shows against a students ability to network be resourceful to not have said answer key
That's a terrible take for an insurmountable amount of reasons.

The point is that boards and GPA are terrible, or at least highly negatively influenced indications, of competence because of the obvious reasons of "answer keys" shoved around.

I had advanced quantum chemistry 600 in chemistry graduate school, and the exams were nothing like the previous years. That's a test of knowledge.

The same exams/boards over and over in podiatric medical school is an issue that prevents anyone from efficiently evaluating your intelligence or knowledge.

You can have a pristine GPA or board record, but how is anyone suppose to know if you had "great resource collection skills" or did it through knowledge and intelligence.

That's the main problem.

Are Kent/Barry students still writing down test questions / answers?
Are there schools that don't?

I understand the conundrum...As specific courses will always want high yield questions to be on the exams, meaning you can't change the exams too much each year because you will want students of each class to understand the same 80% of important material.

But courses can also change their formatting, ways to ask questions, etc....but usually they don't for some reason.

Even undergrad. colleges do a much better job at mixing up their exams each year to prevent this. Not to mention the good undergrad. colleges use a format other than multiple choice, like actually writing down problems and solving them on paper to be evaluated.

But the current status quo essentially makes gpa and boards useless, so the only option left to truly evaluate a prospective resident physician is to evaluate their knowledge and clinical skills as a student in externships.

That's a terrible take for an insurmountable amount of reasons.

The point is that boards and GPA are terrible, or at least highly negatively influenced indications, of competence because of the obvious reasons of "answer keys" shoved around.

I had advanced quantum chemistry 600 in chemistry graduate school, and the exams were nothing like the previous years. That's a test of knowledge.

The same exams/boards over and over in podiatric medical school is an issue that prevents anyone from efficiently evaluating your intelligence or knowledge.

You can have a pristine GPA or board record, but how is anyone suppose to know if you had "great resource collection skills" or did it through knowledge and intelligence.

That's the main problem.
the obvious sarcasm going over your head couldn't be a more fitting end to this "debate". happy holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shut It Down 30 Rock GIF

Any new advice/tips since the last testing date for part 3? Or would recent testers still agree with what everyone has been saying for years?

Now that we’re on the flip side, thoughts on today’s exam? Anyone regret studying?

I've already started studying for part 3. I want to get it done before residency starts.

Is the general consensus that part 2 and part 3 similar in difficulty, or that part 3 might even be easier?

I've already started studying for part 3. I want to get it done before residency starts.

Is the general consensus that part 2 and part 3 similar in difficulty, or that part 3 might even be easier?
Try reading the previous posts before asking questions