APMLE Part 3 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a few BV questions word for word on part i and ii.

Michael Jordan Shrug GIF by NBA
Obviously you’ll see a couple that are extremely high yield from the “easy” section of questions.
Those are the same questions everyone will get correct.
Most of the questions test minutiae. I found it an incredible waste of time that my neurotic classmates would obsess over

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took the exam today, definitely not as easy as people were saying. Maybe it’s changed a bit. But ended up marking like 70 of the 200 questions which is more than I did for part 2, but less than part 1. There were a lot of obscure anesthesia questions. Study the prometric part 3 and maybe part 2 practice. Don’t redo the old NBPME practice questions. Do the part 3 specific boardvitals questions (ignore the public health calculations). Only a handful of part 2 questions showed up. I studied for about 10 half-days. Hopefully passed

Reactions: 2 users
Just took the exam today, definitely not as easy as people were saying. Maybe it’s changed a bit. But ended up marking like 70 of the 200 questions which is more than I did for part 2, but less than part 1. There were a lot of obscure anesthesia questions. Study the prometric part 3 and maybe part 2 practice. Don’t redo the old NBPME practice questions. Do the part 3 specific boardvitals questions (ignore the public health calculations). Only a handful of part 2 questions showed up. I studied for about 10 half-days. Hopefully passed
it would be easier if you took it as PGY-1 level.

Agreed. Definitely felt better coming out of part 2 than part 3. I was between 2 answers for a lot of them today. Also, they didn't provide any calculator yet I had dose calculations so I guess revisit your second-grade math class on how to calculate decimal multiplications? I also feel like some of the treatment modalities that were presented as answer choices, vary between attendings so I am not sure how to generalize that.

Reactions: 1 user
100% harder than what people have said. I was asked obscure anatomy question, some that I haven’t studied in a while. Altho I admit I have to backtrack on my precious comment about BV and I was wrong about it . Definitely use it for part 3. I recognized a couple exact questions from the 75% of it that I did (thanks to a friend that urged me to look at it).
Overall it was comparable to part 2 difficulty . Of course , a lot of giveaways but not as much as people on this forum have emphasized.

Some of my questions weren't written in complete sentences. Otherwise I felt like the test was pretty easy. Feels like a money grab from NBPME.

• Hmm
Does anyone know what other states except Pennsylvania require passage of part 3 before residency starts? Or where can I find that info?

What happens if one doesn't pass part 3 on their first try? My state doesn't require it, but it's my program that does. Am I not going to be allowed to start residency then? As the result day is approaching, I am just having more doubts 😅

What happens if one doesn't pass part 3 on their first try? My state doesn't require it, but it's my program that does. Am I not going to be allowed to start residency then? As the result day is approaching, I am just having more doubts 😅
In that case, the NPBME thanks you for your generous donation while your director slaps your wrist and says get it done

Members don't see this ad :)
Go on vacation and stop worrying. its over now, not much you can do now.

The numbers are on our side (99%). Don’t worry

Anyone else unable to see their scores? Typical Prometric lol

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
I see my score now. I passed! I know a few posters struggled with the exam, but I feel like my test was pretty easy. Finished in an hour. My personal advice would be minimal studying. I watched the nba playoffs and did BV

Reactions: 1 users
Passed! Omg I was on the fence if I would pass or not. I went through BV once and used Watkins as a guidebook. I was soo burnt out that my brain did not work. I tried to study 1-2 hours a day for about a month but there were days I partied instead 😅

I only studied 3 days. I felt like I got a harder exam , but it probably make it easier for me to pass.

Passed, did BV and Watkins but skimmed through the answer reviews. There were definitely days I didn't study. Probably studied max 1-1.5 hr/day.

Studied approx 6-8 hours and passed. What a money grab lmao 😂

I studied for two weeks and it was needed lol I’m grateful I passed , exam was harder than I though it would be

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to everyone who passed part 3. Does anyone know how many allowed attempts Part 3 offers? Is it 3 attempts like the previous two exams, or is it dependent on state? Heard a rumor you are only allowed two but wanted to clarify. Thank you.

Congratulations to everyone who passed part 3. Does anyone know how many allowed attempts Part 3 offers? Is it 3 attempts like the previous two exams, or is it dependent on state? Heard a rumor you are only allowed two but wanted to clarify. Thank you.

I don't think there is any limit to the number of attempts. If your state requires it, all they care about is that you pass it before graduating from residency. No one will ask you how many times you took it. You got this!

I am scared as I know this will look bad for my program and I am begging you all for some advice thank you.
Sorry for your misfortune. Just take it again next cycle and no one will ever care. Your director doesn't even need to know, tell them you rescheduled it.

Isn't part 1 the only one with 3 attempts (at some schools)?

Part 2 and 3 should both have unlimited tries right?

Does part 2 have unlimited?

I think there is a limit to part 2 for attempts.
Set by who? Schools can't set a limit to part 2 attempts because you can graduate with a DPM degree without ever passing boards part 2.

Residencies don't seem to care on how many attempts you needed to pass if they need a spot filled.

Set by who? Schools can't set a limit to part 2 attempts because you can graduate with a DPM degree without ever passing boards part 2.

Residencies don't seem to care on how many attempts you needed to pass if they need a spot filled.
Good point. In that case the only one then is p1

Isn't part 1 the only one with 3 attempts (at some schools)?

Part 2 and 3 should both have unlimited tries right?

Does part 2 have unlimited?

The simple rule I followed was that for part 1, after the 2nd unsuccessful attempt, a school can either dismiss you or demote you..maybe a 3rd chance if you were a good student overall. For part 2, after the 2nd try, you will not match and will not be able to start residency that year (you still get the DPM degree) but once you pass it you could match the following cycle. For part 3, no one cares about the attempts, as long as you pass it..if your state requires it.

I wasn't aware that it was possible to obtain a DPM w/o successfully completing P2. Thanks for this piece of info. It seems reasonable to have a limit on the number of attempts allowed, as there could be instances where individuals have been out of school for many years but eventually managed to pass P2.

Sure you can graduate w/o passing part ii but you need to pass in order to get a residency. OP in thread above is in a precarious situation with no residency and lots of debt. Give yourself enough time to study for part ii so you don't get screwed. Its not hard to pass all three exams the first time.

Sure you can graduate w/o passing part ii but you need to pass in order to get a residency. OP in thread above is in a precarious situation with no residency and lots of debt. Give yourself enough time to study for part ii so you don't get screwed. Its not hard to pass all three exams the first time.
I don’t understand how some students repeatedly fail. It’s quite alarming that these same individuals could possibly be referred to as physicians

Passed

I don’t understand how some students repeatedly fail. It’s quite alarming that these same individuals could possibly be referred to as physicians
I would take the opposite approach and say whoever passed regardless of attempts, within reason, is competent enough to be a physician in terms of board knowledge, period.

The more time that passes, the less relevant board scores are.

That's like saying a podiatry student who took the MCAT 5,6, or 7 times doesn't deserve to be a physician...but the relevance of your MCAT score is abysmal by the time you're a third year student.

Reactions: 5 users
I would take the opposite approach and say whoever passed regardless of attempts, within reason, is competent enough to be a physician in terms of board knowledge, period.

That's like saying a podiatry student who took the MCAT 5,6, or 7 times doesn't deserve to be a physician...but the relevance of your MCAT score is abysmal by the time you're a third year student.
Amen to this.

i must say that analogy is the worst one could possibly conjure up. one cant really compare mcat to the apmle when the latter is infinitely easier, tests what one is supposed to have been learning for years, and is a minimal competency exam where the mcat is more of a measuring stick amongst other variables to gauge preparedness to start medical school for admissions committees . also noteworthy to point out that in podiatry school, simply taking the exam is good enough to garner an acceptance where as in any other DO or MD school, a qualification does exist. i do understand your initial point but there is some kind of relevance to being able to pass the apmle when you consider the ease of the exam and the fact that students can take it as many times as they please (as far as I know. someone please correct me if im wrong)

Last edited:
i must say that analogy is the worst one could possibly conjure up. one cant really compare mcat to the apmle when the latter is infinitely easier, tests what one is supposed to have been learning for years, and is a minimal competency exam where the mcat is more of a measuring stick amongst other variables to gauge preparedness to start medical school for admissions committees . also noteworthy to point out that in podiatry school, simply taking the exam is good enough to garner an acceptance where as in any other DO or MD school, a qualification does exist. i do understand your initial point but there is some kind of relevance to being able to pass the apmle when you consider the ease of the exam and the fact that students can take it as many times as they please (as far as I know. someone please correct me if im wrong)
The thing about analogies is that they are analogies.

If the point got across, then that's all that's needed.

Passing boards mean almost jack all in the grand scheme of things.

There are also various nuances. You could have someone get 74, 74, and finally pass with 75 on the third try and that hardly means anything to the student who passed with 75 on the first try.

There could be a student who has a serious medical issue right around taking boards.

The overall point is that as long as you pass boards within a reasonable amount of tries, then you are competent enough to hold the title of physician without the criticism of "how could x be a physician after not passing after the first attempt".

You could ultimately find an issue in a ton of peoples past academic or otherwise records and question how they could become a physician.

At the end of the day, if you can pass boards within reason, you deserve the same respect of being a physician as the next person.

This could carry over to the Caribbean medical schools, as if a Caribbean medical student passes their curriculum, passes step 1 and 2, matches in the USA, then they deserve every ounce of respect as any USA physician because they earned it through the same credentials.

I disagree. Passing boards the first time vs the third attempt is a huge difference in what programs want you. Boards are testing for MINIMAL competency. Pretty much every good program will attract good students who passed boards the first time. There are exceptions to the rule, sure. But the students I know who took multiple attempts are all in terrible programs.

TLDR Pass on the first time so don't go to nail jail residency

I disagree. Passing boards the first time vs the third attempt is a huge difference in what programs want you. Boards are testing for MINIMAL competency. Pretty much every good program will attract good students who passed boards the first time. There are exceptions to the rule, sure. But the students I know who took multiple attempts are all in terrible programs.

Agreed. Everyone should be striving to pass all boards first time.

I recently read a survey of residency directors, and 1st time board pass was one of the most important criteria.

I've only seen boards actually significantly influence what residencies you get if you can't pass boards part 2 after a couple tries and end up in scramble.

Then of course you will struggle because you are getting last pick.

Otherwise, most students, regardless of their gpa and board scores (within reason) seem to get a residency at generally their 1st to 3rd pick like most students.

But I'm talking about "good" residencies and not the "elite" residencies. Not like Harvard, etc. linked residencies.

I think if a place gives you an externship, it's a reasonable place to obtain a residency.

Agreed. Everyone should be striving to pass all boards first time.

I recently read a survey of residency directors, and 1st time board pass was one of the most important criteria.
Can you link me to this survey?

I've only seen boards actually significantly influence what residencies you get if you can't pass boards part 2 after a couple tries and end up in scramble.

Then of course you will struggle because you are getting last pick.

Otherwise, most students, regardless of their gpa and board scores (within reason) seem to get a residency at generally their 1st to 3rd pick like most students.

But I'm talking about "good" residencies and not the "elite" residencies. Not like Harvard, etc. linked residencies.

I think if a place gives you an externship, it's a reasonable place to obtain a residency.
Many places will let anyone clerk. Many average places filter out people who took multiple attempts on part i and ii. You can think what you want, but that's reality. There are exceptions of course, but its most certainly not the norm when 75 percent of all students pass these exams 1st time.

Many places will let anyone clerk. Many average places filter out people who took multiple attempts on part i and ii. You can think what you want, but that's reality. There are exceptions of course, but its most certainly not the norm when 75 percent of all students pass these exams 1st time.
I just find it hard to believe that an externship who likes "x" student after a month there, would take another student they liked less because of of taking boards 1 more time.

It seems like if the externship likes you, then unless you have big glaring issues, then they are fine with having you over people they don't like as much.

I just find it hard to believe that an externship who likes "x" student after a month there, would take another student they liked less because of of taking boards 1 more time.

It seems like if the externship likes you, then unless you have big glaring issues, then they are fine with having you over people they don't like as much.
I guess you'll see for yourself 🤷‍♂️ best of luck to you.