APMLE Part 1 Retake Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galacticat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow the scores come out for the APMLE Part 1 retake and I am so scared. Most of my fear stems from not understanding the scoring and being unable to gauge how I did (what # of questions correct = passing??).

Did anyone pass on their second try? How many questions did you think you got right? Are there any students that took it a third time, passed, and are now in residency? I feel sick at the thought of checking my score tomorrow and could use some stories with happy endings, if there are any out there.

Good luck to anyone that is going through the same thing!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1.) I calculated my own score after I remembered roughly 200 of the 205 questions I had, and ended up around 65%, which was passing.

2.) I know many students who took it 3 times and are now in residency.

3.) I've asked a couple residency directors if it matters how many times you took part 1 out of curiosity, among other things, and they told me it didn't. Even though the forums will disagree.

Reactions: 2 users
I had to retake it and passed the second time around. The first time, the exam was really bad, I knew I probably got 50% right. The second time around, felt really good coming out of the exam. probably got about 80% correct but that is because I studied the **** out of it. I know a few people who took it the third time and passed, and are in residency right out. I also know someone who took the year off and passed the third time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1.) I calculated my own score after I remembered roughly 200 of the 205 questions I had, and ended up around 65%, which was passing.

2.) I know many students who took it 3 times and are now in residency.

3.) I've asked a couple residency directors if it matters how many times you took part 1 out of curiosity, among other things, and they told me it didn't. Even though the forums will disagree.
That is good to know, thank you! I feel like I am somewhere between 60-65% so I am hoping it will be good enough to pass. It is hard to say.

Reactions: 1 user
I had to retake it and passed the second time around. The first time, the exam was really bad, I knew I probably got 50% right. The second time around, felt really good coming out of the exam. probably got about 80% correct but that is because I studied the **** out of it. I know a few people who took it the third time and passed, and are in residency right out. I also know someone who took the year off and passed the third time.
That's amazing, thank you for sharing! I think I scored about the same as you for my first exam. My second exam felt way more difficult but I know I definitely got more questions right this time around from what I could remember.