Official APMLE Part 1 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tabasco9

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I’d start this thread for the 2023 exam.

For those that have already passed this exam, I noticed students from previous threads saying 80-85% on BV is ideal before the exam.

Is 80-85% referring to a second pass through the questions? Or should I be saving the practice Q’s until I’ve thoroughly reviewed material?

Edit: I guess I’m just not sure when to really start grinding on questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Start grinding boardvitals. You should do it twice. I got like 50% first pass through, 80+% second pass through

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Start grinding boardvitals. You should do it twice. I got like 50% first pass through, 80+% second pass through
I averaged 78% on all 3 BV parts first pass through.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a few questions:
  1. How much time did you dedicate to your preparation?
  2. Which resources did you utilize during your preparation?
  3. In comparison to the real exam, were the BV questions more challenging, easier, or about the same?
  4. If given the opportunity, what changes or adjustments would you make in hindsight?

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a few questions:
  1. How much time did you dedicate to your preparation?
  2. Which resources did you utilize during your preparation?
  3. In comparison to the real exam, were the BV questions more challenging, easier, or about the same?
  4. If given the opportunity, what changes or adjustments would you make in hindsight?
Use search function.

There should be an entire thread on 2022 and maybe even 2021 with complete outlines of what material people used, how long, even study schedules hourly.

Currently overwhelmed with studying for the pathology portion of the exam. How detailed is the pathology on the exam? USMLE Rx goes into much detail with different diseases and conditions. Not sure how much to study every condition

Currently overwhelmed with studying for the pathology portion of the exam. How detailed is the pathology on the exam? USMLE Rx goes into much detail with different diseases and conditions. Not sure how much to study every condition
Don’t waste your time with path. Questions are easy and very surface level. If you know buzzwords you’ll be fine. If you see terminal illeitis know Crohn’s. Stuff like that.

Stick with BV qbank. You can also search past threads about Part 1 prep and the resources used.

Don’t waste your time with path. Questions are easy and very surface level. If you know buzzwords you’ll be fine. If you see terminal illeitis know Crohn’s. Stuff like that.
Thank you ! Most people said they used pathoma but I got overwhelmed and switched to first First aid but then started getting too lost into details

I know this was asked in an older thread, but is there a certain % on NBPME practice exams that correlates with passing on the real thing?

I know this was asked in an older thread, but is there a certain % on NBPME practice exams that correlates with passing on the real thing?
Those are the easiest questions that they sample for those practice exams. I’d shoot for 80-85% to be really confident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went back to my document where I have about 95% of the board questions memorized after I took boards part 1.

It appears that I did have about 55-62% correct when I passed. If you take out experimental questions perhaps the percentage could be as high as 70%. Maybe.

Personally, I think most people who say they are rocking high percentages probably overexaggerate their scores. The "I passed so I must have got 80-90% of questions right" type of crew.

Likely they probably scored less.

At any rate. Literally just ask students around for resources, and understand BV well.

If you can do lower anatomy, gross anatomy, micro, and pharm really well, then the subjects like biochemistry, neuro, and physiology can take a backseat.

What was everyones thoughts on the exam? I thought it was extra hard .. Flagged 1/2 the test

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully everyone did fine.

As far as trouble with sections like Neuro and biochemistry, if you need to retake the test, just try to remember the high yield things they ask for in those sections. They hardly change those sections up too much, or there are a lot of experimental questions in those sections.

my my my, that was insane! I feel like the test was nothing like the practice material we've been given over the last few months. Everything felt very out of left field, and absolutely too much biochem and neuro! I'm just glad I reviewed it twice (not like it helped much anyway).

I hate the waiting game...

I had so much Path/Physio, Very LOW yield LEA, Random Pharm .. did most people flag many questions and still pass? I think at most was only confident in 100 questions max and others were between 2 or 100% did not know

I had so much Path/Physio, Very LOW yield LEA, Random Pharm .. did most people flag many questions and still pass? I think at most was only confident in 100 questions max and others were between 2 or 100% did not know
It wouldn't be a hard boards if they put easy LEA questions. They ask a pretty broad range of anything Lower related, you have to know it inside and out to pass.

You should know far more lower than you did in your lower anatomy course for boards

A few upperclassman at my program said they marked ~100 and passed last year.

I probably flagged close to that many today, and I know of others that did as well.

It was a tough exam, find something fun to do this weekend and relax!

my my my, that was insane! I feel like the test was nothing like the practice material we've been given over the last few months. Everything felt very out of left field, and absolutely too much biochem and neuro! I'm just glad I reviewed it twice (not like it helped much anyway).

I hate the waiting game...
Did you use Board vitals for Biochem & Neuro? or something else?!

A few upperclassman at my program said they marked ~100 and passed last year.

I probably flagged close to that many today, and I know of others that did as well.

It was a tough exam, find something fun to do this weekend and relax!
I don't understand the flagging thing correlating with how good someone does.

I'm pretty sure I flagged 100+ questions and I flagged some which I was still 90% sure I got it right, not like 99% sure.

Today’s exam was severely difficult. The questions I believe were written poorly and there were many grammar/spelling errors. Not that the spelling means anything but I was deterred from that question or answer choice. Additionally, I was taken by surprise with most of the questions. Some of them were very specific and did not show knowledge of the general concepts just direct memorization of a receptor. LEA was not abundant in my personal exam. During my exam it was severely Pharm, Biochem, and Microbio. I thought I studied a lot in general as everyone did but these questions some of them you couldn’t even study for because I’ve never seen the information presented in lecture or USMLE book.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't understand the flagging thing correlating with how good someone does.

I'm pretty sure I flagged 100+ questions and I flagged some which I was still 90% sure I got it right, not like 99% sure.

Correct. There is obviously some variability between test takers and what/when they flag.

SB123 asked if others have flagged 100+ questions and still passed, so I answered.

Today’s exam was severely difficult. The questions I believe were written poorly and there were many grammar/spelling errors. Not that the spelling means anything but I was deterred from that question or answer choice. Additionally, I was taken by surprise with most of the questions. Some of them were very specific and did not show knowledge of the general concepts just direct memorization of a receptor. LEA was not abundant in my personal exam. During my exam it was severely Pharm, Biochem, and Microbio. I thought I studied a lot in general as everyone did but these questions some of them you couldn’t even study for because I’ve never seen the information presented in lecture or USMLE book.
I agree with what you just said. There wasn’t much LEA on my exam either it was a lotttttt of pharm, micro, Biochem. And I too thought that some of the questions were never presented anywhere which is definitely weird. When there was an LEA question it seemed like lil bitty trivial information. I definitely expected more but it just wasn’t the majority of the exam like everybody claims it to be. I kind of think they are beginning to shift the exam out of asking so much LEA stuff to testing more general medical knowledge. It’s a reason this type of stuff keeps happening I honestly think they are trying to prove to the AMA that we are on par with MDs and testing mostly LEA won’t get you that status. Just my 2 cents.

Overall I thought my version of the exam was fair. Everything on there I had seen at some point with the exception of literally one question. Obviously some of the minute detail was tough. First time pass I finished in 2 hours and 15 mins, had 77 flagged. Took the exam an entire way through again in the next hour. With 45 minutes left I just reviewed my flagged questions. I submitted the exam with 12 seconds left and had 42 flagged. Half or so of those I checked after and got right. As of right now I can confirm I have missed at least 20-25 questions. Unsure of how many I believe I have correct, but is in the range of 120-140 as of right now. Obviously + or - probably 15-20. By the sound of it, I believe that I got a much easier version of the exam compared to some of my friends. Overall, fair exam in my opinion. Hoping everyone passed. I guess we will see in 19 days lol

To add, I used many resource and finished all BoardVitals questions. I thought those were significantly easier compared to my version of the APMLE on test day. I was expecting them to be similar with the APMLe being more challenging but these questions were troublesome. I also believe I had a question where all of the structures were correct, and I made sure it was not an “all of the following EXCEPT” question so that was problematic too.

I had many spelling mistakes on mine too and grammar and it kept throwing me off some questions. I swear I had 1 question where none of the answer choices were correct because it was a very specific question but the correct choice wasnt on there

I had many spelling mistakes on mine too and grammar and it kept throwing me off some questions. I swear I had 1 question where none of the answer choices were correct because it was a very specific question but the correct choice wasnt on there
It’s podiatry.

I would say half of my questions were BoardsVitals style. I also used AMBOSS practice questions and I am thankful that I did because my vignette style questions were very similar to them. Overall I think I had maybe 5-10 vignettes (not an exaggeration either). The following are my resources:

Physio - BRS + First Aid + Dirty Medicine
Biochem - First Aid + Dirty Medicine
Gross - 100 concepts
Lower - KSUCPM notes
Pathology - Pathoma + First Aid + some Dirty Medicine
Pharm - Sketchy + First Aid + Dirty Medicine
Micro - Sketchy + First Aid

Did boards vitals 2.5 times through, AMBOSS, very few Boards & Beyond, and the sketchy practice questions on the website.

I would say half of my questions were BoardsVitals style. I also used AMBOSS practice questions and I am thankful that I did because my vignette style questions were very similar to them. Overall I think I had maybe 5-10 vignettes (not an exaggeration either). The following are my resources:

Physio - BRS + First Aid + Dirty Medicine
Biochem - First Aid + Dirty Medicine
Gross - 100 concepts
Lower - KSUCPM notes
Pathology - Pathoma + First Aid + some Dirty Medicine
Pharm - Sketchy + First Aid + Dirty Medicine
Micro - Sketchy + First Aid

Did boards vitals 2.5 times through, AMBOSS, very few Boards & Beyond, and the sketchy practice questions on the website.

This is a great list. Although to be honest, what is AMBOSS and dirty medicine?

Also I'm not sure is 100 topics is enough for gross anatomy, but pretty close.

Our school gave us a trial subscription to AMBOSS while we studied for boards. It is tailored specifically to USMLE and COMLEX, as APMLE was not an option to select. However, they have a "Basic Sciences" section, so I split my time between questions there as well as questions for USMLE part 1. Super detailed, definitely about 97% of it is too much/thorough and in detail. However like I said, some of my vignettes were pretty thorough and in detail, so I am glad I used it. I think AMBOSS has over 10,000 practice questions or something like that. Definitely not required to do well, just slightly helpful.

Dirty Medicine is a youtube page that focuses on USMLE and COMLEX but it is super helpful. He was able to explain difficult concepts about certain pharmacologic topics in one 30 minute video that sketchy needed 5 to cover. I would watch and take down important notes which helped me retain the information. I highly, highly, recommend watching dirty medicine and sketchy over anything. Pathoma was good, but super super in detail.

What is the expected # of questions that would put someone in a passing zone? I have heard some people say 100+ or 75% in each category but I'm not sure. Is it that you need to score 75% or higher in each category to pass? I think I was only confident in around 120 max and the other 85 were wrong or super random ones I guessed

Every exam is different and it is scaled to needing a 75 to pass. APMLE explains it on their website and there are some better explanations on threads on SDN. Personally I thought my version of the exam was not too bad, so for example, I may need to get 115 correct to pass while someone with a more difficult exam may only need 100 to pass. Could be wrong, but that is how I am understanding it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

What is the expected # of questions that would put someone in a passing zone? I have heard some people say 100+ or 75% in each category but I'm not sure. Is it that you need to score 75% or higher in each category to pass? I think I was only confident in around 120 max and the other 85 were wrong or super random ones I guessed

I don't think anyone actually knows in great detail.

The amount correct in passing is different for each exam, and I think I read somewhere that you need 55-75% of the non-experimenting, and non-thrown out questions right to pass.

I also don't think it matters if you pass every section, just the total. If passing each section was necessary, then the advice of "study the 4-5 big topics and you can backseat 2-3 of the others" wouldn't be so prevalent.

I think needing ~75% of the non-experimental is a bit high. I definitely agree it is somewhere in the range you mentioned, but I think more towards the middle or lower end regardless of exam difficulty. Who knows...guess we wait another 18 days lol

In case anyone was looking for an update....it appears the score release date is now August 4th instead of July 27th....lol

• Haha
In case anyone was looking for an update....it appears the score release date is now August 4th instead of July 27th....lol
got to make sure they have time to update the new CPME guidelines before releasing the scores

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
This timeline is giving people a disservice. Obviously people hope for the best, but if people fail then they only have 2 months now to study all the material again bc they didn’t know it the first time. I don’t understand the timeline.

Lower - LEA flashcards. + class notes. LEA is not as detailed as you think, make sure you understand it but don't go overboard-- you should already know LEA well by now.
I agree with everything in your tips except I'm not sure about this. I took boards part 1 a while ago but thought LEA was pretty specific and detailed.

Last edited:
No idea, was hoping someone had an idea. Can't determine if it is a good or bad thing.

My exam was physio, path, and pharm heavy. Definitely not as much LEA as I would’ve liked. Question for anyone that can answer it, if I finished the exam and while going through my flagged questions the timer ran out my completed exam is still submitted correct? Like I didn’t have to click end exam or whatever it was for the exam to capture my answer input?

My exam was physio, path, and pharm heavy. Definitely not as much LEA as I would’ve liked. Question for anyone that can answer it, if I finished the exam and while going through my flagged questions the timer ran out my completed exam is still submitted correct? Like I didn’t have to click end exam or whatever it was for the exam to capture my answer input?
It's likely that your exam was automatically submitted, which is typical for Prometric exams. People run out of time and forget to submit their exams all the time. You can also contact them to confirm: Contact Us | Prometric.

This timeline is giving people a disservice. Obviously people hope for the best, but if people fail then they only have 2 months now to study all the material again bc they didn’t know it the first time. I don’t understand the timeline.
You raise a valid point. It would be considerate if they provided a reason for the delay, considering that it will only contribute to increased anxiety and stress.

It's likely that your exam was automatically submitted, which is typical for Prometric exams. People run out of time and forget to submit their exams all the time. You can also contact them to confirm: Contact Us | Prometric.

You raise a valid point. It would be considerate if they provided a reason for the delay, considering that it will only contribute to increased anxiety and stress.
Appreciate the input! Will definitely reach out to prometric and confirm

Got an email the delay is due to them opening up a second test day for tomorrow July 14