2023-2024 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know if getting a prematch is any predictor of if you might be more likely to get a merit scholarship down the road? does prematching = ranking high among interviewees? just wondering because if i have any shot of a scholarship, it could affect my tmdsas ranking
See this earlier post: #797
I don't think there are a lot of big scholarships at this school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
See this earlier post: #797
I don't think there are a lot of big scholarships at this school.
I'm also curious about their question. In general, for schools that do give scholarships, does their logic stand? What about UT McGovern if you've seen anything in the past?
Thanks for all of your help.

I'm also curious about their question. In general, for schools that do give scholarships, does their logic stand? What about UT McGovern if you've seen anything in the past?
Thanks for all of your help.
I’d say cruise through the McGovern thread from last year to see when scholarship offers came out.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if getting a prematch is any predictor of if you might be more likely to get a merit scholarship down the road? does prematching = ranking high among interviewees? just wondering because if i have any shot of a scholarship, it could affect my tmdsas ranking
It’s hard to say for sure. While med schools might be holistic, scholarship committees can be more “you have it or you dont *” for their criteria since they’re trying to satisfy donor requirements

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Going to the preview day tomorrow. If you can correctly identify me and answer my riddles I will give you one shilling. (The riddles are all questions about the Krebs cycle).

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else excited to be neurotic about the possibility of this school extending prematches every Friday for the rest of the month? :D

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Anyone else excited to be neurotic about the possibility of this school extending prematches every Friday for the rest of the month? :D
literally same. I have it in my head that tomorrow is another round because that's what I want to believe LOL

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear that. Stats you care to share?
Sure, IS& my LM is 72 or 75 (if calculating using my master's GPA instead of undergrad). 1st quartile Casper, and IMO I did pretty terrible on the one-way video interview.
Overall I didn't feel too bad about my MMI, but I wouldn't be surprised to have been below average in my responses, especially given its similarity to Casper

Last edited:
They can issue them anytime before 5 PM on 2nd February so people are able to change their ranking.

Members don't see this ad :)
They can issue them anytime before 5 PM on 2nd February so people are able to change their ranking.
Jan 31 is end of the prematch window.
That would give y’all a whole 2 business days to make changes if you got some “new” news.

Reactions: 6 users
Received a call from an MS3 due to my prematch. Talked for about half an hour about school and non-school related things. Super chill dude and very helpful overall.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Received a call from an MS3 due to my prematch. Talked for about half an hour about school and non-school related things. Super chill dude and very helpful overall.
I did, too, a week or two ago. The student was very helpful and awesome, and very eager to answer questions. We had a fabulous conversation! UTMB is so great for doing this. It’s endearing to see they care about keeping their prematches engaged!

• Love
I did, too, a week or two ago. The student was very helpful and awesome, and very eager to answer questions. We had a fabulous conversation! UTMB is so great for doing this. It’s endearing to see they care about keeping their prematches engaged!
Don't want to sound cynical. But good for them to want as many prematches as they can!

Still neurotically hoping there’s another prematch wave for us all 🤞🤞🤞

• Care
I’m thinking they were content with the one giant wave before match day

• Sad
Next week is the last tour date right? Maybe the wait until they finished with tours for the month before last round of prematches

Last edited:
I feel like that was here-say because 300 prematches is actually insane lol. I do think there will be one more day though.
Yeah, the TMDSAS pre-match data released from 2021 shows that a max a school sent was 170 so I am not sure if UTMB would send 300 pre-matches based on that data.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, the TMDSAS pre-match data released from 2021 shows that a max a school sent was 170 so I am not sure if UTMB would send 300 pre-matches based on that data.
Not sure why schools are so secretive about their pre-match (or match) processes, but last I heard, that 170 was suspected to be UTSW.

I wouldn't be surprised if that number has gone up over the past several years for some reason or another, but I doubt it would be as high as 300 -- what's the biggest medical class size in TX anyway, 280 at McGovern?

Not sure why schools are so secretive about their pre-match (or match) processes, but last I heard, that 170 was suspected to be UTSW.

I wouldn't be surprised if that number has gone up over the past several years for some reason or another, but I doubt it would be as high as 300 -- what's the biggest medical class size in TX anyway, 280 at McGovern?
The TMDSAS director, the first year that prematch data was published, said that he would not be divulging which school gave out the largest number of prematches or the specific school to number correlations.

I don’t think the schools need to bare their process of decision making any more than they already do.

No school wants to look foolish by sending out so many prematch offers that they overfill the class.

I don’t think the schools need to bare their process of decision making any more than they already do.

We can agree to disagree on this. I think it would be beneficial to applicants and cause no harm by being more transparent about the selection process, but I recognize that it could potentially increase the workload of admissions staff, and could lead to negative unintended consequences (I just can't think of any at the moment).

Just a PSA that I learned after having an unofficial tour today with two current M2s: UTMB no longer does internal ranking. So, there is talk that the school may be doing away with AOA. The school is also shortening (or removing altogether) the META class for incoming classes and are currently going through some other curriculum changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just a PSA that I learned after having an unofficial tour today with two current M2s: UTMB no longer does internal ranking. So, there is talk that the school may be doing away with AOA. The school is also shortening (or removing altogether) the META class for incoming classes and are currently going through some other curriculum changes.
META no longer exists!

While we don't do internal ranking, our selection criteria is pretty public:

I haven't heard about AOA going away but they do definitely consider more than just grades.

Reactions: 4 users
@chicandtoughness what's the benchmark for a pass in pre-clinical? And how is Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail stratified (grade benchmarks, certain combo of evals + grades, etc?)

Also, I heard rotations are sometimes far off at places like Tyler. Are these clerkship rotation sites outside of Galveston required? Or is it determined by a lottery system? Just kinda confused on that piece

H/HP/P/F is clerkships only.

For pre-clinical you’re on a graded system (e.g. need to get 70% or higher in all course components). This may vary from course to course, and - to my understanding as it stands now - grades are not stored internally for AOA ranking. Your transcript will only show P/PC/F.

Clerkships- I’m not there yet so take with grain of salt. It is lottery system but you are able to submit preferences. I’m not sure if we’ll still have Tyler as an option by the time y'all get to clerkships since UT Tyler SOM will have their MS3 class active. Even if you’re “Galveston track” you may have rotations on the mainland (e.g. in League City). Expect to commute during MS3 for sure. I have friends who are rotating in Corpus Christi or Beaumont for some blocks.

H/HP/P/F is clerkships only.

For pre-clinical you’re on a graded system (e.g. need to get 70% or higher in all course components). This may vary from course to course, and - to my understanding as it stands now - grades are not stored internally for AOA ranking. Your transcript will only show P/PC/F.

Clerkships- I’m not there yet so take with grain of salt. It is lottery system but you are able to submit preferences. I’m not sure if we’ll still have Tyler as an option by the time y'all get to clerkships since UT Tyler SOM will have their MS3 class active. Even if you’re “Galveston track” you may have rotations on the mainland (e.g. in League City). Expect to commute during MS3 for sure. I have friends who are rotating in Corpus Christi or Beaumont for some blocks.
Are there specific blocks which cant be accommodated in Galveston for all students requiring them to go to places like Corpus (4-5 hrs?)?

Are there specific blocks which cant be accommodated in Galveston for all students requiring them to go to places like Corpus (4-5 hrs?)?
I don't know exact statistics, but I do know pediatrics tends to be in either Galveston or Corpus. I assume space/scheduling is part of it.

Y'all should be able to see the M3 clerkship info without having to sign in:

Are we predicting some prematches this Friday? 🤣🤣

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
So if we prematch we should log into my star and click accept to the admission tab?
I was told it is non-binding from admissions, but I don't remember if there was a deadline. They just highly suggested it because it gives you access to your email and all the other UTMB stuff.

Current third year.

The UTMB system (Galveston, Clear Lake, League City) is capable of accommodating all core clerkship specialties. Students get sent out to places like Corpus, Beaumont, etc due to the number of students that may be rotating through the clerkship at the time. For non-commutable distances (>1 hour), the school generally provides housing. As has been previously stated in this thread, Tyler is very unlikely to be an option by the time you reach third year. Angleton and Houston are considered commutable distances and rotations may send you to those areas for part of your clerkships.

There are forms to rank preferences to stay on island/within UTMB system and those are most likely to be honored if you have a compelling reason (ex. children). You can also request to go the previously stated outside places when you are preferencing for third year. Sometimes they just send you there. There are also options to self-select Texas sites for specific rotations such as family medicine and ambulatory pediatrics.

I have spent about 1/3 of my time outside of the UTMB system for my clerkships. I have enjoyed being able to see how other offices/hospitals work, but I have also really enjoyed having a dedicated home institution to come back to. I am not competing with other schools in the UTMB system and there are more opportunities to come back and work with the same attendings and residents throughout your medical school career. I've really enjoyed the experience overall.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I am a current student at UTMB. It seems like this thread is very heavy on the pre-match business and scholarship postings. That's awesome for everyone who prematched, you have options and decisions to make!

For people who are worried about pre-matching (and take this with a grain of salt, since my application cycle was several years ago), know that I received 1 interview and did not pre-match. I opened TMDSAS at 8 am and found out I matched, and that was it. I am not the only one in my class who has had that experience. Don't freak out, not pre-matching isn't the end of the world, and you can still match into a great school when the day comes.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users